Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 26-09-2008, 19:21   #61
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
Which, you may argue, isn't the greatest way to spend the taxpayers' money when I could be studying business or marketing or PR, because the world definitely needs more of those people in it.
So, OK, anephric, aside from reading magazines like Sight and Sound and Life Without Intestines, tell us, did film studies inform your later career? Was your course vital to your future life and income? Or did you take another turning altogether? What, pray, do you do in Derby?
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 21:27   #62
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
Do people wring their hands that kids don't listen to Duke Ellington or Eddie Cochran?

Who here reads 19th century fiction in any depth?

The further we get away from it, the less important it seems. It's always been the same.
I'm not aware of anyone "wringing their hands" at anything. If you study music, you study classical to start with (or at least I did). If you study fiction, then the 19th century novel will turn up sooner or later. And if you study movies, then it makes sense not to completely ignore the past. Furthermore, I reckon the history of cinema is an absolute treasure trove. Why not seek to share it or pass it on? The alternative is an endless diet of the contemporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster View Post
So, OK, anephric, aside from reading magazines like Sight and Sound and Life Without Intestines, tell us, did film studies inform your later career? Was your course vital to your future life and income? Or did you take another turning altogether? What, pray, do you do in Derby?
What, pray, is the point of this question?
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 01:52   #63
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
I'd imagine, if anything, it holds you back from a career in anything reputable, but I didn't mind that one jot when I did it. Worst experience I ever had was watching A Matter Of Life And Death with a group of students who giggled through the opening 20 minutes

Last edited by KRW; 27-09-2008 at 01:53.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 07:39   #64
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
Worst experience I ever had was watching A Matter Of Life And Death with a group of students who giggled through the opening 20 minutes
For my money, the P&P is one of the greatest achievements in film. Anyone who doesn't "get" it, can't really be interested in cinema all that much and should go off and do something else. Diss that movie in my presence, and I'm apt to get a tad medieval...
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 08:20   #65
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
So, OK, anephric, aside from reading magazines like Sight and Sound and Life Without Intestines, tell us, did film studies inform your later career?
Nope, although I've worked in the media in Derby and Notts (at completely humiliating placement/local radio levels, sure). But then, I did film studies because I love film. Though, if I'd had any sense, I should have done practical film rather than theory.

Last edited by anephric; 27-09-2008 at 08:23.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 09:53   #66
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
. . . . even when I thought my degree course was pretty crappily organised and resourced (which it was) it still meant that I got to watch things like A Page of Madness and Letter from an Unknown Woman on the big screen.

Which, you may argue, isn't the greatest way to spend the taxpayers' money when I could be studying business or marketing or PR, because the world definitely needs more of those people in it.
Considering the way successive governments from both main parties have squandered huge amounts of public money on pointless projects and policies, spending a few pennies enabling young people to watch films on a big screen seems quite sensible to me!
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 14:33   #67
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

Quote:
Interesting . . . I was terribly depressed by Chris 21, No.2 post, who said he didn't fancy Bullitt or The Searchers. And that from a man with 5000 posts on his record! Then I looked him up and thought, OK, he's not one of us and, this not being Zimbabwe, he's entitled to his opinions, his own aesthetic, and live in a world of schlock horror and trash. And then subsequent posts, all very interesting. All I would add is this: aren't Death Wish, Bullitt and The Searchers all studies of the same thing: revenge and anomie. The heroes of each movie become alienated and feel betrayed by their own society and opt out of it.
That's what I love about this forum I have a wide range of cinematic tastes. I've been called a film snob on many occasions but this must be the first time I've had an accusation of being a Philistine leveled at me.

I don't know if it goes back to my childhood but westerns reek of sunday afternoons. Sunlight blaring through the window of my house while my dad is staring at John Wayne, mum pottering about doing the cooking, little or no atmosphere, and with characters I've never been able to relate to on any level. They've just never screamed "watch me" to me, I've always viewed them as a background film.

I just can't stand westerns for the most part. The only two I have time for are "Unforgiven", and "The Good the Bad and the Ugly".

I think The Good the Bad and the Ugly is very good, but Unforgiven is probably in my top 20 films of all time.

I have been going through a horror phase recently and I admit the last few purchases I've made have been from said genre. However I have and love all types of films, from Peter Weirs "Picnic at Hanging Rock", Tarkovsy's "Solaris" and Roeg's "Don't Look Now", to "Kingpin", "A Nightmare on Elm Street" and "The Terminator".

It's horrible liking a wide range of cinema. I'm a snob in the modern forum, and a philistine in the classic

Last edited by chris21; 27-09-2008 at 15:25.
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 16:19   #68
Guest 45586
Trusted User

As Samuel Johnson once said, "A man who is tired of westerns is tired of life."

But seriously, Chris 21, I was really just trying to be a bit provocative. To me, the western is at the very heart of the cinema, the American cinema, and America itself of course. And almost every movie is somehow indebted to it. Have you ever tried The Wild Bunch?
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 16:47   #69
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
To me, the western is at the very heart of the cinema, the American cinema, and America itself of course. And almost every movie is somehow indebted to it.
Most of us probably have types of film that turn us off, for example I tend to be fairly dismissive of musicals. However, WA's above comment pretty much sums up my own sentiments. For the life of me, I can never understand those who say they love cinema and dislike westerns - I see them as almost inseparable.
Old 27-09-2008, 17:12   #70
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
Most of us probably have types of film that turn us off, for example I tend to be fairly dismissive of musicals.
That's as bad as disliking Westerns!
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 17:31   #71
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCairo View Post
That's as bad as disliking Westerns!
Well, since musicals (obviously) didn't appear until the sound era they're not tied inextricably to the birth of (American) cinema in the same way as westerns. Anyway, that's my excuse.