Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 25-07-2007, 23:19   #381
Guest 62283
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
When I watched both cuts of Pat Garrett on the new DVD (the first time I'd seen the film in ages, so I was coming at it fresh) I have to say I preferred the 2005 cut, and will probably choose that version to watch next time. I don't know if it's a better (or worse) representation of Peckinpah's vision because I'm no expert on the history, so I think I'll sidestep that hot potato completely ...
Fair enough, jackal.

But I do hope you'll give Sam Peckinpah's Workprint (on disc 2 in the set) another try. You don't have to know the history of PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID to realize that a deeper, richer story is being told in Peckinpah's Workprint. In many ways it's telling a different story than what's on Seydor's 2005 Version. If only the scene between Garrett and his wife had been re-instated, it would make all the difference.

And it's much closer to being finished than some people would have you believe. Clean the print damage, tighten a few frames here and there, complete transitions that were started but never finished, fix the sound and the scoring, resaturate and time the color, and you'd be surprised how it would blow away Seydor's 2005 Version.

Read the details about it here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=259134

and here:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60755

The commentary is fascinating, too, although a lot of people who get to know the Workprint find themselves in disagreement with many of the judgments being expressed.

Last edited by Richard--W; 25-07-2007 at 23:48.
Guest 62283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 12:35   #382
Guest 51670
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
You're welcome. I look forward to seeing the Straw Dogs extra, and the documentary, whenever it's released.
Hope you like the DOGS-doc better...
It's different than the one on DUNDEE, which was done at the very last minute before SONY finished the DVD.

I wish Nick all the luck in the world with the FORD-doc.
Guest 51670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 17:54   #383
Guest 62283
Trusted User

-- bump --

since this controversy was started, has anyone else had the chance to compare Peckinpah's workprint to Seydor's edit and formed an opinion about which version tells the story better?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:19   #384
Guest 62283
Trusted User

If anyone would like to lend support to my thread on Paul Seydor's PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID you'll find it here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=259134