Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 07-02-2018, 14:52   #1
MaxNutter

Black Panther

Can't see another thread for this, but it's been touted as Marvel's best film yet, with generally positive reviews.

Except from the DC fanboys / House of Mouse haters, who Facebook are trying to stop from repeating their Rotten Tomatoes shenanigans.
Old 08-02-2018, 00:51   #2
eye__writ
Trusted User

The reviews for this were always going to be positive, in the same way as those for Wonder Woman were.

Doesn't really mean much but fingers crossed Black Panther lives up to them, unlike WW.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:10   #3
Shingster
Trusted User

Glad someone else said it before me, but the completely insane critical response to "girl power" platform Ghostbusters 2016 tells me that critics these days will shill any film that fulfils a progressive agenda so they can slap themselves on the back and feel like they're "helping the cause" - which isn't to say that Ghostbusters was a bad film and the critics were wrong, just that it was obviously a marmite film that should have had a much more mixed response from critics who normally are split down the middle or come down hard on divisive movies like that. Wonder Woman too saw many critics gloss over the film's failings in terms of the rather weak final act (and I say that as a fan of the film).

Black Panther was always going to get an easy ride because the Marvel-verse is still a little too white and still has a lack of really great female roles to boot and this looks like it could bust both right open so I think everyone's wishing it to be more than just another "fun" but ultimately frivolous outing ala Ant-Man. It is looking genuinely impressive though and I really think they've completely nailed the casting as well, so fingers crossed it lives up to the hype.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
allan (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 08:04   #4
Hood
HipHopPotamus

I'm not sure that critics glossed over the weaker final act of Wonder Woman did they? Pretty much all the critics that I find interesting, thoroughly enjoyed the film but had reservations about the last half an hour. Personally, I thought WW was great overall but a small part of my enjoyment was borne out of sheer relief that it wasn't an absolute turd like BvS and Suicide Squad were.

From the proper reviews I've read about Black Panther, it does seem though that this film is actually trying to do something different rather take a standard superhero film template and replace white characters with black characters. Fingers crossed this is the case. Also all the reviews I've read that give out ratings have given it a 4 out of 5, is this really excessively positive when most Marvel films come in with a similar rating?

Last edited by Hood; 08-02-2018 at 08:18.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 13:08   #5
Taq
Evil Scientist

I look forward to all the ignorant media reviews that gush over how this is the 'first ever movie to feature a black action hero!' in a similar way to how the WW movie invented female heroes, and Apple invented the mp3 player....
Film itself looks fine from the trailers. I wasn't overly keen on Thor:Ragnarok so hopefully this will be better.
Old 08-02-2018, 13:10   #6
MaxNutter

Evan Davis on Newsnight was corrected by his guests last night when saying it was Marvel's first movie with a black hero.
Old 08-02-2018, 13:16   #7
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

This is one character I've never read any of the individual comics & only seen him occasionally when appearing in Marvel team books. So for the first time I'm going into a Marvel movie with next to no knowledge what to expect so that should be a positive thing...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 13:21   #8
Taq
Evil Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
I'm going into a Marvel movie with next to no knowledge what to expect so that should be a positive thing...
I'm guessing no one important will die (at least for very long).
Old 08-02-2018, 13:24   #9
Taq
Evil Scientist

Old 08-02-2018, 13:42   #10
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
I look forward to all the ignorant media reviews that gush over how this is the 'first ever movie to feature a black action hero!' in a similar way to how the WW movie invented female heroes, and Apple invented the mp3 player....
I've seen plenty of articles and reviews correctly stating that this is the first predominately "black" mainstream superhero film i.e. featuring a majority black cast and set in black communities/countries but none saying that it is the first movie with a black superhero in the lead. But then again I only tend read articles from sources I trust not to make such mistakes. The problem with something like Blade is that you could rewrite his dialogue and recast him as a white character and the film would still make sense. With Black Panther you can't do that.

Last edited by Hood; 08-02-2018 at 13:45.
Old 08-02-2018, 18:54   #11
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

With 2016 Ghostbusters film, it was utter crap, yes some did attack it at first for having 4 female main characters but later on anyone having a negative view was jumped for being a "sexist" thats all they could say, their only dim witted defence.

Wonder woman was fairly decent, enjoyed it more on 1st viewing, let down by the ending. Some gave it a free pass as they labelled as "feminist film" and that "sees men as inferior"

Load of these types on social media etc "keyboard warriors" that think only men can be sexist and only white people can be racist they think they are progressive, when really they are sad runts

No surprise, some are claiming this film is the "best film evar" , I have no problem the cast, its when you get some **** stirrer on media sites claiming "all black cast" ignoring the 2 well known white actors in the film which are important to the plot (this woman on the guardian does not see white people then!)

And you get **** like first ever movie to feature a black action hero! Some are falling over them self trying to score a pat on the back

I'm sure this film will be entertaining marvel film but all this "virtue signalling" is laughable
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 19:01   #12
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Also people are forgot about white hating **** as first black action hero (also NSFW)

Old 08-02-2018, 20:47   #13
Taq
Evil Scientist

LOL, they've now retracted it and still getting lots grief
Old 09-02-2018, 08:24   #14
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
No surprise, some are claiming this film is the "best film evar" , I have no problem the cast, its when you get some **** stirrer on media sites claiming "all black cast" ignoring the 2 well known white actors in the film which are important to the plot (this woman on the guardian does not see white people then!)
When will the two white guys in the cast of hundreds of black people get the representation they deserve? Isn't it about time that white people got a movie of their own.

Do you mean this article: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-lupita-nyongo

Why should she have to go out of her way to mention Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman? Are you saying that when a person is celebrating a huge mainstream superhero movie that hugely represents her race she has to go out her way and out of context to give kudos to a couple of white guys that are in it?
Old 09-02-2018, 13:34   #15
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
Why should she have to go out of her way to mention Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman? Are you saying that when a person is celebrating a huge mainstream superhero movie that hugely represents her race she has to go out her way and out of context to give kudos to a couple of white guys that are in it?

Not asking for her go out her way (your words not mine) to mention (or any kudos) Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman at all. She could of said Mainly black cast and it would be fair more accurate then her ramblings. Her comment is not much different than the salon tweet

Last edited by fivebyfive; 09-02-2018 at 13:58.
Old 09-02-2018, 14:23   #16
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

I've just re-read and re-read that guardian opinion piece a few times and I'm struggling to see what the problem is?

God forbid a black woman should feel the need to celebrate the release of Black Panther in a short article.

But yeah instead of everyone being happy that there's a Marvel film being released that sound pretty fun and has a mainly black cast. Let instead call people out for having the audacity to not bring to attention the fact that two of the cast member are white.

Utterly ridiculous and bizarre.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Hood (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 14:43   #17
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevlock View Post
Let instead call people out for having the audacity to not bring to attention the fact that two of the cast member are white.

Utterly ridiculous and bizarre.
Again, missing the point. I was just pointing out her article is wrong and 2 people on here are making a massive meal about it.

Utterly ridiculous and bizarre

edit: also despite editing my post down to a line or 2, the whole point was about people in general trying to take a form of entertainment (film and games) and label as and ruin it to suit agenda or other side attack because it helps them to get famous (see RE5 game) I'm happy another super hero film is coming out as its Marvel its bound to be entertaining but god forbid you mention any mistakes these "virtue signalling" people (god I hate this terminology )

Last edited by fivebyfive; 09-02-2018 at 14:52.
Old 09-02-2018, 15:23   #18
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Again, missing the point. I was just pointing out her article is wrong and 2 people on here are making a massive meal about it.
But bringing up the article in the first place and calling the writer a "**** stirrer" for a very mild error is not making a meal of it. Righto.
Old 09-02-2018, 15:23   #19
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Not asking for her go out her way (your words not mine) to mention (or any kudos) Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman at all. She could of said Mainly black cast and it would be fair more accurate then her ramblings. Her comment is not much different than the salon tweet
Have.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:50   #20
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
The problem with something like Blade is that you could rewrite his dialogue and recast him as a white character and the film would still make sense. With Black Panther you can't do that.
But why is that a problem though? I thought we were all the same and skin colour was irrelevant.