Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 22-02-2017, 08:34   #201
neilalford
I angered a crow

"No, Rick, these men are Nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 08:49   #202
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

I thought it was a terrible episode. The dump dwellers just seemed farcical.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 11:13   #203
mjb1975
Blandiblub

And seemingly not in the comics (not that I'm a reader of those, just something seen on YT vids), so just made up by the producers. Not sure about the truncated language - it's not like a couple of generations after the zombie apocalypse and language is breaking down (a la Threads).

Still, seems like ok pacing IMO and Oceanside (the place with the women with guns) is the next visit ('Tara, you've been places right?!') but I'm assuming nothing MAJOR will happen until the last one or two episodes.
Old 22-02-2017, 11:29   #204
TheCookieMonster
Trusted User

Thought Rick being Mr Happy after almost being killed and stabbed in the hand was just weird.
TheCookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 12:31   #205
son of thunder
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post
Thought Rick being Mr Happy after almost being killed and stabbed in the hand was just weird.

yes I thought that and why did he have a big grin on his face at the end of the last episode.
Old 22-02-2017, 13:00   #206
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by son of thunder View Post
yes I thought that and why did he have a big grin on his face at the end of the last episode.
Because he's looking for an army to fight Neegan & as far as he's concerned he's just found one.

Smiley Rick is far less irritating than the mopey Rick we had for the first half of this season.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 13:24   #207
son of thunder
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
Because he's looking for an army to fight Neegan & as far as he's concerned he's just found one.

Smiley Rick is far less irritating than the mopey Rick we had for the first half of this season.
I realise that but how was he so sure? Because basically they could have just killed him which was what they sort of initiated.
Old 22-02-2017, 16:11   #208
ascender
Trusted User

I watched that episode with bafflement again to be honest, not entirely sure what to think. There just seems to be zero logic behind how all these characters are behaving in terms of their motivations and behaviour.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 18:56   #209
ascender
Trusted User

This was one of the first comments I read on a blog about the episode and covers most of my other thoughts about that particular one.

Quote:
I'm afraid for me, the fog of loyalty built up over 7 and a half series is starting to thin and I'm beginning to realise that this is all just a bit crap. The moment the new 'Jadis' group walked into the junk yard and started wandering silently and aimlessly back and forth like a piece of sixth-form performance art, I knew my patience was about to run very thin. For the rest of that whole section, with computer-game-boss-style 'Winslow' being used as yet another test of Rick's abilities, and the silent, trance like followers of Jadis, I didn't get any less irritated. I mean, HOW has this group not already met the Saviours? Would any group really keep a wierd bladed zombie in a pit just in case they need to 'test' someone? In what way was rowing across a pond to an abandoned boat more difficult than breaking into a guarded and fortified town to steal supplies and kidnap someone?

The ridiculous thing is, I WILL watch again next week. I just know it. But if things don't pick up for the rest of the series, that might be it for me. I kinda think the writers are stuck with an almost impossible task in trying to think of new things for this story. 7 series is an awful lot of writing, whether for TV or comic books.
Old 22-02-2017, 19:03   #210
lentini
now with added cymbals

Yep, that's bang on
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 19:34   #211
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
The ridiculous thing is, I WILL watch again next week. I just know it.
Part of the problem as if they numbers dropped a lot they make take notice of the criticism. Shows like Star trek had a rapid fanbase that gave every episode a 9/10 or 10/10 for the likes of Voyager and enterprise depsite the rot setting in.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 20:42   #212
wasted
Was looney, still can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
I watched that episode with bafflement again to be honest, not entirely sure what to think. There just seems to be zero logic behind how all these characters are behaving in terms of their motivations and behaviour.
It seems to have been that way for many series now, so many bizarre ways rick and co are handling situations. I've also stopped watching Talking Dead as I am not caring about the series now, I think its about time they have an end game and wrap it up. I would rather a proper end than just fade out and no real finale. Does not matter if the comics carry on, I think its time for a wrap of the TV side of things.
Old 23-02-2017, 08:24   #213
Hood
HipHopPotamus

With this week's episode I did think to myself; why would a zombie apocalypse make people start behaving and talking like some sort of knock off mystic meg? This would have been people that lived in the modern 21st century with normal lives so why would they start dressing like druids and talking in a breathy enigmatic way? It's all incredibly hackneyed and I have to say it's starting to wear thin with me.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 08:46   #214
daboy3000
Gone

The King also talks a little medieval. I just assumed that the junkyard people had escaped from a mental institution as they all looked a little special.

Also why is the Tiger being kept in a tiny cage underground, surely they have the space to keep it outside, poor badly cgi'd Tiger!
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 08:57   #215
ascender
Trusted User

All wearing the black clothes, the way they came out, the use of hand signals and just the general pretentiousness of it grated.

Without spoilers because I know talk of the comics isn't for this thread, I know they're still going, but is there an arc/endgame suggested around the re-establishment of formal governing bodies and society in general?
Old 23-02-2017, 09:44   #216
Nana
Walk without rhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboy3000 View Post
The King also talks a little medieval. I just assumed that the junkyard people had escaped from a mental institution as they all looked a little special.

Also why is the Tiger being kept in a tiny cage underground, surely they have the space to keep it outside, poor badly cgi'd Tiger!
Ezekiel was part of an amateur acting group who put on Shakespeare and other classics, so when he wanted to look impressive I would imagine that style of speech came naturally.

Totally agree about the mental institute theory for the core dumpsters, that was my guess. My theory is that they've picked up family and friends along the way who understood and would accommodate eccentric language and behaviour.
Old 23-02-2017, 10:37   #217
Hood
HipHopPotamus

The whole concept of a mental institute being full of eccentric ghostly weirdos is total film ******** as well. Most people who are sectioned are generally normal people who are struggling with mental illnesses to the point where they are danger to their own well being. I doubt a load of chronically depressed people not receiving any treatment would be able to physically drag themselves out of their rooms, let alone pop on flowing black clothes and join a cult.

I know that trying to discuss realism in regards to a programme about zombies is an oxymoron but the writers go to great lengths to try and portray the main characters as real people. So really they should make some effort to make the supporting characters believable rather than wheel a load of cliches.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 11:45   #218
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasted View Post
..I think its about time they have an end game and wrap it up. I would rather a proper end than just fade out and no real finale. Does not matter if the comics carry on, I think its time for a wrap of the TV side of things.
Never going to happen anytime soon as the ratings are still crazy high. They could lose half their audience overnight & it would still be a huge hit for AMC.

Despite its many flaws, it still remains watchable for now...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 12:44   #219
johnson293
Black and White Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
With this week's episode I did think to myself; why would a zombie apocalypse make people start behaving and talking like some sort of knock off mystic meg? This would have been people that lived in the modern 21st century with normal lives so why would they start dressing like druids and talking in a breathy enigmatic way? It's all incredibly hackneyed and I have to say it's starting to wear thin with me.
Agree, and if you look at the Timeline of the show on the Wikia page, it reckons we are under 2 years since it all started, and the mid season break of S7 was +633 days after the outbreak (Wildfire).

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Th..._Show_Timeline

I also didn't really like the junkyard mob. I was unsure what she meant by.. "We take, we don't bother"... surely if you take peoples stuff, you are bothering them??!!

Also, the deal is they want Rick to provide "guns... lots of guns"... but how is Rick supposed to get these guns without taking on the saviours himself again, which is why he needs the junkyard mob (and anyone else) to help him??!!

Last edited by johnson293; 23-02-2017 at 12:49.
johnson293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 13:23   #220
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson293 View Post
Also, the deal is they want Rick to provide "guns... lots of guns"... but how is Rick supposed to get these guns without taking on the saviours himself again, which is why he needs the junkyard mob (and anyone else) to help him??!!
That all-lady group had loads of firearms so he needs to get them on board somehow.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote