Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 23-01-2018, 20:46   #3281
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
No doubting he is a very good player but is not half a million a week good.
It's all (depressingly) relative. He was out of contract, so he gets more in his wages than if we'd have had to buy him. MickyT was on his way out of OT anyway (sadly - I liked him even though he was frustrating).

You seem (again) to be obsessed by our club. In a week when your team could have desperately done with someone to unlock a defence, you'd maybe like to look a bit closer to home when talking about money. You're a Champions League club, a English team full of nostalgia and with general goodwill towards you from all over football but whenever you go to market, you shop in Southampton instead of Saville Row. Instead of worrying about where our money is going, why don't you start asking your own well-funded, well-supported club where all your money has gone!
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 07:07   #3282
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,186 Times in 837 Posts
Love how United fans are selling Sanchez as some sort of bargain!
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 07:12   #3283
MaxNutter

Not at all, just not as far removed as some will have you believe.
Old 24-01-2018, 08:26   #3284
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post

Love how rival fans can’t see that Sanchez is a £80-100m player if he was on a long contract.

Straight swap for a player that didn’t work and would be gone in the summer in any case (Miki), is fantastic business.

Its all relative, the club who have the largest revenue in the world spend money on the best players - makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24-01-2018, 08:46   #3285
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
For United, Sanchez is a huge bargain. He is the catalyst to future signings. He shows other players who may have ummed & ahed, that Manchester United finally mean business, something that has been lacking for a few years. For me he is a massive bargain.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 08:53   #3286
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

In the sense that players now know that United will pay a premium for talent just to get them, and pay £500k a week.

"Yes but he is an exception, we didn't pay a fee for him"

I don't see top players seeing the distinction. I'm guessing he better quickly be twice the player of anyone else.

When anyone else has a contract to renew, they'll be wanting the big bucks.

Turnover counts for nothing if you're going to spend £26m a season on one player.
Old 24-01-2018, 09:11   #3287
MaxNutter

Quote:
In the sense that players now know that United will pay a premium for talent just to get them, and pay £500k a week.

"Yes but he is an exception, we didn't pay a fee for him"

I don't see top players seeing the distinction. I'm guessing he better quickly be twice the player of anyone else.

When anyone else has a contract to renew, they'll be wanting the big bucks.
If we did agree to £500k wages it just shows what a poor job Ed Woodward does, as I'm sure we could have got him for less.

Quote:
Turnover counts for nothing if you're going to spend £26m a season on one player.
As opposed to £75m on one player?
Old 24-01-2018, 13:18   #3288
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Man Utd didn't create the obscenity that is the Premier League transfer market. For years we had a manager in Sir Alex who would notoriously look for 'value' in the market when the club itself was doing very well financially. The rest of football threw money at the problem to try and catch us, now we have to do the same to stay in touch with City. I don't think any of us think it's right - the wages and transfer fees are obscene - but I don't see any other club making a stand.

Liverpool just paid £75m for a good - not great - defender. Divide that by a contract of 5 years, and that's 300k a week just to sign him, before you've even paid him a penny. Makes Sanchez look like a bargain, to me.
Old 24-01-2018, 13:25   #3289
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
Man Utd didn't create the obscenity that is the Premier League transfer market. For years we had a manager in Sir Alex who would notoriously look for 'value' in the market when the club itself was doing very well financially. The rest of football threw money at the problem to try and catch us, now we have to do the same to stay in touch with City. I don't think any of us think it's right - the wages and transfer fees are obscene - but I don't see any other club making a stand.
Ironically Man City made the stand!
Old 24-01-2018, 13:27   #3290
MaxNutter

Quote:
Ironically Man City made the stand!
Did they though? It certainly wasn't a stand about wages if they did, it was about reneging on a perceived deal, or maybe (less likely) it was about saving face when they realised he preferred United.
Old 24-01-2018, 13:41   #3291
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
Did they though? It certainly wasn't a stand about wages if they did, it was about reneging on a perceived deal, or maybe (less likely) it was about saving face when they realised he preferred United.
How do you know?

General consensus is that he is getting £500k a week. Whilst they could have matched it ( just like Chelsea and Liverpool could have afforded it ) City clearly deemed he was only worth £300k.

To me that is clearly ... City making a stand and United now making £500k a week wages the norm for top quality players.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 14:06   #3292
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
But why shouldn't they? If we didn't sign Sanchez now, and pay his silly wages, how much would we have had to pay to sign someone of similar quality in the summer? Plus we're getting six months of service out of him which will hopefully keep us in the top 4 at least, maybe even more. And how many shirts will he sell, worldwide? Look at the way they promoted his arrival. Look at the way they'll sell his image all around the world.

When the best players like Sanchez come onto the market, I'd argue that the biggest football club in the world both can AND should be trying to sign them. The game is about so much more than the 75,000 people who go on a match-day now. It's about selling stuff every single day, all over the world. This is as much a business decision as a football one.
Old 24-01-2018, 14:18   #3293
MaxNutter

Quote:
United now making £500k a week wages the norm for top quality players
why just now, when United do it? Why not when Barca did it for Messi, Real Madrid for Ronaldo, or PSG for Neymar?
Old 24-01-2018, 14:53   #3294
MaxNutter

Quote:
How do you know?

General consensus is that he is getting £500k a week. Whilst they could have matched it ( just like Chelsea and Liverpool could have afforded it ) City clearly deemed he was only worth £300k.

To me that is clearly ... City making a stand and United now making £500k a week wages the norm for top quality players.

It's being reported differently depending on where you read it, so who knows what is true. Something in the middle probably.

What I do know is that City are being lauded over not "being held to ransom", or "not willing to cause unrest in their dressing room" over a player that they tried to tap up last summer.
Old 24-01-2018, 16:12   #3295
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
why just now, when United do it? Why not when Barca did it for Messi, Real Madrid for Ronaldo, or PSG for Neymar?
Oh, absolutely but ... Barca/Real and PSG fans aren't coming on here trying to claim they aren't causing the transfer/wages to get even higher
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 16:24   #3296
MaxNutter

Quote:
Oh, absolutely but ... Barca/Real and PSG fans aren't coming on here trying to claim they aren't causing the transfer/wages to get even higher
Neither are United fans, and I'm not sure how transfer fees are inflated by a swap deal where no money changed hands?
Old 24-01-2018, 18:21   #3297
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
If you're looking for people to agree that transfer fees and wages are overinflated, then you won't find much argument on here.

The top stars have always demanded the top wages. The real inflation is in clubs paying well over the odds for utter mediocrity. Players such as Andy Carroll, Ricky Lambert, Christian Benteke and the like. I'd hate to think my loyalty was being abused to help keep Mrs Benteke in handbags and gladrags, for example. But I'll look forward to seeing Sanchez in a United shirt.
Old 24-01-2018, 19:01   #3298
MaxNutter

Jesus ******* Christ
Old 24-01-2018, 23:13   #3299
madstu
Trusted User

Sanchez is box office - would rather we pay the money for him, than go back to value signings (Obertan, Owen and Valencia come to mind after we sold CR7).

Thankfully the actual football starts again on the weekend, that’s where it matters, not arguing over the ‘value’ of a footballer and his wages. He’s one of the best players in the world, and every team in the PL would have him in their team - can’t wait to see him in action. He’s certainly more exciting than a good £75m centre half from Southampton.

Old 25-01-2018, 06:58   #3300
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstu View Post

Thankfully the actual football starts again on the weekend, that’s where it matters, not arguing over the ‘value’ of a footballer and his wages. He’s one of the best players in the world, and every team in the PL would have him in their team - can’t wait to see him in action.

Can't argue with that. But I would add that people were throwing their toys out of the pram and getting apoplectic when we signed David Silva & Yaya Toure for £24M each. So, whilst you've got him for free, you got to expect some people to moan about the fact that you may be paying in £300K or £400K a week.

My view is that a club should be able to spend what it wants, regardless of where it comes from and has been pointed out, many criticised City for doing it to play catch up and now United are doing it ......... and City have made the stand because for the most part, our model is now based on paying money for younger prospects.