Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 17-06-2016, 16:22   #121
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

Booked my Sky Q Silver install today - scheduled for 10 days time, so I should have enough time to get through my older recordings on my existing Skybox.

This started at the weekend when Sky sent me a letter offering Sky Q Silver with the £149 fee waived completely. Add in that my subscription cost is staying the same for the first 18 months then I couldn't really say no. But after those 18 months are finished then the price goes up by something like £12, so I'll need to look at things again then, but for now I'm looking forward to the install.
Old 19-06-2016, 07:09   #122
craig1912
Trusted User

Had ours for a couple of weeks. No installation fee and costs less than we were paying for Sky HD (phoned them and told them I was going to cancel unless they came up with a decent offer).
Not too keen on the touch controller, no favourites option and doesn't automatically go to the TV guide when turned on.
The smaller bus is nice as are the two mini boxes which take no space at all and can be moved between room very easily.
craig1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 07:37   #123
basegreen
neergesab

It's so horribly buggy. The minis lose the guide data on a regular basis, sometimes all video.

The main box freezes a few times per week and needs rebooting.

They run incredibly hot too. Oh, and the software is full of bugs. A lot of the synopsis data is wrong.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 09:28   #124
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
It's so horribly buggy. The minis lose the guide data on a regular basis, sometimes all video.

The main box freezes a few times per week and needs rebooting.

They run incredibly hot too. Oh, and the software is full of bugs. A lot of the synopsis data is wrong.
Sounds like the original Amstrad Sky Boxes. We had row after row of returned boxes when I work at Comet. Once the stock was showing 25 and we had 1 pristine unboxed unit. The dishes weren't much better.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:51   #125
GregB
Stagger Lee

Any more thoughts on the quality/reliability of the boxes?

I've had an offer of installation for £60 and no other payments. Not as good as the offer above but it's enough for me to seriously consider. Would do some more negotiating though
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:19   #126
basegreen
neergesab

Utterly appalling buggy software. Remote is dire. Concept itself excellent.

Even gotten used to the look of the GUI now.

But if you're not willing to climb under the telly (or use Wemo to remote power cycle like me) forget it.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
GregB (11-07-2016), mjr (14-10-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 12:22   #127
GregB
Stagger Lee

Cheers. That doesn't sound good and would drive my wife insane. Think I'll stick with what I've got for now than
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 15:40   #128
Bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB View Post
Cheers. That doesn't sound good and would drive my wife insane. Think I'll stick with what I've got for now than
I like the remote, it has thrown the odd wobbler but even if you don't like it you can just use the spare standard one they give you.

I've had no issues with Q and don't regret getting it for a second. That said I'd give it a miss if you have several users all sharing the one planner.
Old 11-07-2016, 15:46   #129
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
That said I'd give it a miss if you have several users all sharing the one planner.
We do, there maybe only 2 of us but we're both 'powerusers' and that 9-11pm slot can get very busy with us both recording 2-3 different things at 9 and 10pm. 4 inputs would equal planner war.
Old 17-07-2016, 18:41   #130
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

They offered me a deal last month but I had no interest as we only own one TV! But now the dish/box is malfunctioning I wonder whether this may be the best way to get it repaired if they waive the installation. What' the "Q" Premium? We already have the HD, box sets, Movies and Fibre so it looks like being about £20 more a month just for... well, in our case, repairing the installation.

Can't shake the feeling it's really the landlord's trees that need chopping down, but maybe the setup, it has been 5-6 years...
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 10:46   #131
johnson293
Black and White Member

Saw it mentioned elsewhere, but looking at my Sky account, it appears they are offering reduced rate upgrades for existing customers (or some at least).

I rejoined Sky back in January from VirginMedia, and got a 50% off TV package for 12 months deal, with free Unlimited BB, paying line rental as standard.

Looking at upgrading to Sky Q, they are offering £30 (upfront) install on 1tb or 2tb boxes, but you must take the multiscreen subscription at an extra £12/month, which means you need an extra box, which costs another £30 activation fee (upfront), then additional boxes are £99 activation fee.

It is also allowing me to carry over my current 50% discount for the remainder of my 12 months. So for £60 upfront and £12 extra a month, I can get Sky Q with multiroom. I would just keep the unlimited broadband till january, and maybe look to go to fibre with them/someone else then.

I'm tempted, but just need convincing that its worth upgrading now, or just sit tight till January when I might get as good or better retention offer.

Any opinions on Sky Q and/or the new equipment?
johnson293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 12:06   #132
GalaxyBlue
Trusted User

I was phoned by Sky yesterday afternoon (I left in July).

He offered various packages to which I kept saying no, but in the end offered £19 a month for the original package + all the sky sports channels with £100 credit in my Sky account. I cracked at this point (no contract either).

I just looked on Sky.com for Sky Q and it says it will only cost the one £30 installation for both the 1TB box and 1 additional box. In all it would take it to £31 a month which over the minimum 12 months would cost £25 a month.

Very tempting. No HD though - that would be an extra £13 a month.
GalaxyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 17:36   #133
eye__writ
Trusted User

Just had my Sky Q box installed today and can't believe the excellent reviews it was getting when it first came out, especially at the cost it was at back then.

It feels like a big step down from my Virgin Tivo in every area except speed of use.

No favourites, no way to fine tune your series links, no way to get to the TV Guide quickly...

...I might give Virgin a call tomorrow to see what kind of deal they can offer me to stay with them and cancel the Sky package.
Old 14-10-2016, 17:45   #134
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBlue View Post
I was phoned by Sky yesterday afternoon (I left in July).

He offered various packages to which I kept saying no, but in the end offered £19 a month for the original package + all the sky sports channels with £100 credit in my Sky account. I cracked at this point (no contract either).

I just looked on Sky.com for Sky Q and it says it will only cost the one £30 installation for both the 1TB box and 1 additional box. In all it would take it to £31 a month which over the minimum 12 months would cost £25 a month.

Very tempting. No HD though - that would be an extra £13 a month.
I got £60 install for the Sky Q Silver and 1 minibox, and they've agreed to give me an extra mini for £30 instead of £99.

To echo eye_writ - the UI is a lot worse than the Sky+ one, and there's a lot of wasted screen space, definitely a work in progress.

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 18:19   #135
Steve39
Steam: Steve39

Got SkyQ 2tb and one mini box being installed on Monday £45 setup + £12 a month extra (as I didn't have multiroom). My HD setup has been flakey for months so it was a better option (for me) to get this rather that go for a repair.
Steve39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 19:40   #136
mjr
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
Utterly appalling buggy software. Remote is dire. Concept itself excellent.

Even gotten used to the look of the GUI now.

But if you're not willing to climb under the telly (or use Wemo to remote power cycle like me) forget it.
I wondered about the remote. I know I wouldn't get on with the the touch one, and they both look much less ergonomic than the Sky+ HD remote I currently have.

Might sound silly but it's actually one of the main things that would put me off upgrading, other then the stability issues I keep reading about.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 21:11   #137
TheCookieMonster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
I wondered about the remote. I know I wouldn't get on with the the touch one, and they both look much less ergonomic than the Sky+ HD remote I currently have.

Might sound silly but it's actually one of the main things that would put me off upgrading, other then the stability issues I keep reading about.
My main box has been ok so far. Mini has locked up once so far since 3rd September. Pretty slick and the 4 recordings at the same time has been useful already on a few occasions. The touch remote feels quite nice but it's too easy to accidentally touch it and find it start to rewind / forward through a programme. The normal one is just as good as the old one. Viewing in another room is great as well.
TheCookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 21:23   #138
eye__writ
Trusted User

How are people finding the series link performance on this thing?

I'd gotten used to setting my Tivo up to add a minute at the start of a recording and a few minutes at the end to avoid it cutting anything off in the event of scheduling delays, but not being able to do that on the Sky Q is making me paranoid that I've got 12 months of missed endings ahead of me.
Old 14-10-2016, 21:50   #139
Bish

We've had Q since it was launched and have not had one recording that wasn't complete.
Old 14-10-2016, 22:40   #140
leemel
Diagnosed Mail Reader

Went down to help set up a family member with their Sky Q, and the remote and the UI is bloody awful. Was sure it was just a case of getting used to it, but even Virgin's TIVO ui is better, Skys is more responsive, but too many blind alleys in it.
leemel is offline   Reply With Quote