Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 18-11-2015, 23:36   #21
DJBenson
Android Defector

Location: Burnley - Eagerly awaiting Bolton and Blackburn's demotion...
That article mentions the need for a new LNB - is this the introduction of Sat-IP at last (or some variant of) - Sky were one of the founder members of the Sat-IP protocol but it's been largely unadopted in most territories.

They are clearly doing something very clever to get the LNB to send four (that article actually mentions 12!) feeds down a dual cable run!

Last edited by DJBenson; 18-11-2015 at 23:38.
DJBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 07:46   #22
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,189 Times in 839 Posts
I still record loads of stuff, a lot of stuff isn't available for download and its just easier to set a series record.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:45   #23
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBenson View Post
That article mentions the need for a new LNB - is this the introduction of Sat-IP at last (or some variant of) - Sky were one of the founder members of the Sat-IP protocol but it's been largely unadopted in most territories.

They are clearly doing something very clever to get the LNB to send four (that article actually mentions 12!) feeds down a dual cable run!
Looks like it could be going down this route...

I've seen mention that new lnb's will be required and that it's incompatible with current system which could point to ip-lnb's.

Some older videos giving a rough overview if anyone's interested.

I also have a Vu+ Duo receiver that does this. Any signal that goes into is streamed over my network, which means I can access it on all of my devices.

Last edited by Deron; 19-11-2015 at 09:54.
Deron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 11:11   #24
w_n_s
Scare Mongerer

I find the whole recording thing a bit backwards.

I think Sky / Virgin should focus their efforts on cloud based content availability - they do offer it - but instead of pumping money into these boxes - just put the money into more content in the cloud which anyone can access by way of a simple dongle .
Old 19-11-2015, 11:45   #25
Deron

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_n_s View Post

I think Sky / Virgin should focus their efforts on cloud based content availability - they do offer it - but instead of pumping money into these boxes - just put the money into more content in the cloud which anyone can access by way of a simple dongle .
The problem is the UK's broadband infrastructure isn't great.

Which is why sat-ip could actually be a winner.
Old 19-11-2015, 12:13   #26
The404
In Stereo Where Available

I understand the requirement for a new LNB, but has anybody mentioned whether the existing cabling in place would be compatible? I live in a fairly new build property, and all the sky cables are neatly hidden in the wall cavities. It would be a pain in the ass to replace.
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 12:16   #27
Deron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The404 View Post
I understand the requirement for a new LNB, but has anybody mentioned whether the existing cabling in place would be compatible? I live in a fairly new build property, and all the sky cables are neatly hidden in the wall cavities. It would be a pain in the ass to replace.
It's mentioned in that earlier link...

Quote:
Sky Q is incompatible with existing Sky installations. When the system is launched, early 2016, subscribers will need the LNB swapped on their existing Sky dish. The cable run remains unchanged though. It’s not possible to have a mix of Sky+ and Sky Q hardware sharing the same dish feed.
http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/sky-q....4snson5K.dpuf
Thanked once by:
The404 (19-11-2015)
Old 19-11-2015, 12:51   #28
basegreen
neergesab

I'll write them a blank cheque. Can't wait.

That said the new remote looks a bit crap.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 13:24   #29
stephen
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_n_s View Post

I completely agree with you. I've got four dongles with Netflix installed so I can watch what I want on any tv in the house. With fibre broadband becoming standard they should be putting all the money into making more content available via streaming,
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 14:51   #30
stephen
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I still record loads of stuff, a lot of stuff isn't available for download and its just easier to set a series record.
How can it be easier? If you find something you want to watch you have to hit record and then keep checking back to see when it's recorded, if it's on demand you'd just be pressing play.
Old 19-11-2015, 17:30   #31
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deron View Post

I also have a Vu+ Duo receiver that does this. Any signal that goes into is streamed over my network, which means I can access it on all of my devices.
That sounds really interesting and isn't a feature that is mentioned in any review I've read, can you tell me more about it as I might be trying to solve the same problem

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 18:18   #32
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,189 Times in 839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
How can it be easier? If you find something you want to watch you have to hit record and then keep checking back to see when it's recorded, if it's on demand you'd just be pressing play.
So what do you do? Have to remember you wanted to watch something and then remember to download it, it then disappears after a few weeks. Or you can set a series link.

I have plenty to watch, I'm hardly waiting for it.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 20:29   #33
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Sky On Demand content doesn't have subtitles - that should be the priority thing they're addressing.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
basegreen (19-11-2015), DJBenson (19-11-2015)
Old 19-11-2015, 21:42   #34
DJBenson
Android Defector

Location: Burnley - Eagerly awaiting Bolton and Blackburn's demotion...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Sky On Demand content doesn't have subtitles - that should be the priority thing they're addressing.
I actually thought that was a bug! Don't they have obligations to make content available with subtitles?

It can't be difficult, the linear (as broadcast) event is almost always subtitled, recorded content (if originally subtitled) has subtitles so why the bloody hell doesn't on demand stuff
DJBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 22:00   #35
Deron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
That sounds really interesting and isn't a feature that is mentioned in any review I've read, can you tell me more about it as I might be trying to solve the same problem
So most platforms have an app that will work...

It's usually a case of typing in the ip address of the receiver and using the default username and password.

I can play it on my macbook pro, ipad, and android phone. Vu+ even have their own app http://vuplus.com/sub/sub0111.php...
Old 22-11-2015, 21:47   #36
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

Last year we left sky to go to youview, but the hardware is just too flaky. Sky keep trying to tempt me back and better hardware sounds good!!
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 08:56   #37
neilalford
I angered a crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
So what do you do? Have to remember you wanted to watch something and then remember to download it, it then disappears after a few weeks. Or you can set a series link.

I have plenty to watch, I'm hardly waiting for it.
Yep, streaming is far too much hassle to use regularly, got series links set up on my TiVo and can just sit down and see everything that's been recorded in one place and watch it whenever I want.

With streaming you have to remember that there's something on one of the services that you want to watch, run up the correct app, search for the program (a real hassle if you're trying to do a text search) and then in some cases sit through un-skipable ads (i.e. 4OD) and you have to watch the program before it disappears from the service, whereas I can leave things for months if I want. And that's assuming that everything works perfectly (which often isn't the case).

Browsing the available content is more awkward as well when you have to cover multiple different apps rather than having it all in one place.

I use streaming services for a few programs that aren't available on my normal TV service (Netflix exclusives, GoT on NowTV) and very occaisionally use the iPlayer if I discover a series part way through, but I'd certainly not want to have that as my only alternative.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 09:59   #38
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

I'm not worried about the box prices, I have the money now, but I'll have to wait to see what the subscription costs will be as I don't know if I'll have the money later.
Old 24-11-2015, 15:13   #39
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Of course with this Bluetooth remote I would be able to control it with my Xbox....
Old 25-11-2015, 13:40   #40
stephen
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilalford View Post
Yep, streaming is far too much hassle to use regularly, got series links set up on my TiVo and can just sit down and see everything that's been recorded in one place and watch it whenever I want.
It depends how you use it but I find streaming much less hassle. Netflix is my main viewing source, I occasionaly dip into iPlayer and Amazon pay per view but I don't use any other services. When I go into Netflix I can see all the things I want to watch on my watchlist, as well as all the things I'm currently mid series on. If I get tired watching something on the tv I can turn it off and then pick up where I left off on the iPad. If there is a series I want to watch I can just watch it when and where suits me, I don't have all the hassle of having to check if it's been recorded, and then have to wait a week for the next episode.

I'm sure there's a market for an all in one streaming service, you'd think Sky would be going towards that instead of sticking with recording.

Last edited by stephen; 25-11-2015 at 13:42.