Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 21-09-2015, 07:53   #21
baloobas
Resident Geebag

I see you've picked Bone as one to read - great choice ! It starts off very kiddish but, stick with it, it's absolutely great.
A few other random recommendations -
Maus - Pulitzer Prize winning Holocaust tale that everyone should read
Copperhead - fun western sci-fi that's ongoing at the moment (9 issues so far I think)
Through The Woods - genuinely creepy short story collection
Anything by Adrian Tomine (that's not a title btw !)
Shoplifter - a disillusioned 20 something girl turns to petty theft
Usagi Yojimbo - my favourite ongoing comic - Stan Sakai's epic tale of a wandering Rabbit Samurai is great fun and completely accessible at any stage, although once you get into it, you'll be desperate to read everything in the 30yr old tale.

A few titles that everyone loves but I couldn't get into -
Saga - I just couldn't get by the horrible, clunky character design
Preacher - try as I might I can't stand Garth Ennis - the comic equivalent of a 4yr old boy pulling out his penis to embarrass his parents.
baloobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 19:56   #22
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

There's a new banned comics humble bundle that's got bone, wytches, league of extraordinary gentlemen, love and rockets.

Basically a great starter pack...
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 12:15   #23
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Didn't know they were all banned, I think more along the lines of Omaha Cat Dancer, got one issue and it was good, like it, but hardly ever see it to have carried on reading (this was before ebay got big).

Got an email offering me the next revamped issue of Comic Heroes for Ł5, it's got a DC Vertigo preview in it, so gone for it. I suspect the problem with me and this mag will be that I am a TPB buyer and not individual comics and not that interested in the superhero mainstream (unless they are a good story, got a writer I like involved, came back into Spider-man with JMS for instance and it was a great run, and because I had heard so much about Dan Slott's run hired a couple out of the library and enjoyed it.)
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 11:50   #24
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

My first comic book!

I think I may have spoiled myself a bit, because this is incredible. The artwork style is exactly my sort of thing, colourful and vibrant with a cartoony realism. It's also laid out in a sensible and easy to read way which has always been one of the most off-putting things about the medium.

Adore the story, it played out like an animated film in my head as I read - an experience which I've only got from a select few of my favourite novels. Made me laugh a lot, too.

One thing I hadn't considered was how short comics are, I made myself go slow on purpose but still finished it over the course of three evenings. I think I may stick to larger collected editions from here out.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 11:59   #25
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

hurrah! Glad you enjoyed, good choice Now once you've started, it's hard to stop!
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 12:27   #26
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Didn't rate Saga myself, for some reason when you said you wanted a bigger story, Peter David's Fallen ANgel came into my head, think their might be a big collected edition of it. No matter there's plenty with long runs of TPBs to pick from, just buy a few at once, Sandman, Transmetropolitan, Preacher etc
Old 29-09-2015, 11:55   #27
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

I liked Saga well enough, it's not the best of the best but it's entertaining enough. I think it lacks dramatic weight at times, if anyone dies it doesn't have a lot of impact on me as a reader.

If you want some longer with a wider scope you could do worse than read Mike Carey's Lucifer. There are five very thick volumes, it's very densely written, so you won't plough through it as quickly as you did with Saga. It has a very elliptical story arc across its 60 or so issues, an unrecognised classic imho.

You will also find that some books read fast, I can read a Walking Dead trade paperback in an evening for example, something like Lucifer is only a couple of issues/chapters a night... all depends on the writer/artist combination.

Preacher is a similarly speedy but very entertaining read

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 12:19   #28
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Lucifer again didn't grab me, tried the first TPB and found it dissappointing after adoring the sandman. Look forward to the US tv series, I hope it's a faithful adaptation.
Old 29-09-2015, 14:37   #29
bronso
Trusted User

Comics are typically quick reads, but Saga in particular goes by very fast with its "decompressed" storytelling style. Personally I prefer the TPB ("trade paperback") format over either the single magazines or the heavy-duty hardcover/omnibus/deluxe editions (I think it's also usually the cheapest option), so I say just get a couple of volumes at a time if you're into it.

Since you enjoyed Saga (yay!), if you want more science fiction worlds crammed full of unlikely aliens, technologies or other wonders, you might want to check out:

Top 10 (Moore/Ha)
Transmetropolitan (Ellis/Robertson)
Astro City (Busiek/Anderson)

For another artist whose style is a bit like Fiona Staples, maybe check out Gabriel Bá (Umbrella Academy, Casanova).

Oh, and one that I don't think has been mentioned so far is Locke & Key, a six-volume fantasy/horror series by Joe Hill (son of Stephen King) and Gabriel Rodriguez, about three siblings who move into a mansion with lots of mysteries. It has a good deal of Buffy in its DNA, and offers a very satisfying, self-contained story.
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 17:39   #30
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Locke & Key is definitely added to the list, thanks.
I bough the volume 1 TPB for Saga, but I was surprised how small and flimsy it was, like an issue of Empire or GamesTM. Will try to aim for hardbacks when possible, I think.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:57   #31
MaxNutter

Really enjoyed Saga myself, funny, touching and good story.

Enjoying The Wicked + Divine at the moment, as well as Rachel Rising and Uber, which is a bit depressing.

Lazarus is good as are Nailbiter, Colder, Outcast (Kirkman), Velvet, Dogwitch... The list goes on!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 29-10-2015, 10:46   #32
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Locke & Key is definitely added to the list, thanks.
I bough the volume 1 TPB for Saga, but I was surprised how small and flimsy it was, like an issue of Empire or GamesTM. Will try to aim for hardbacks when possible, I think.
There's a very nice Saga collected edition hardback which puts together the first 3 graphic novels.
Old 29-10-2015, 16:43   #33
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

That's the form I'll be continuing it with.
Old 30-10-2015, 10:34   #34
alphatyrant
xbox tag- alphatyrant

Saga is great, Y the Last Man is superb. Other complete series that are worth a look would be Preacher and The Boys, both by Garth Ennis. Oh, pretty much anything Ennis did in relation to Punisher, though the MAX stuff is dynamite.

Ongoing series that I love

Chew - People with food related superpowers, very funny, great characters.
Uber - What happens when the Nazis get super soldiers in WW2. Brutal and violent but very interesting "What If" deal.
The Walking Dead - Still fantastic and refreshing after 147 issues!
Invincible - Don't know if it has a big following but I love it, fantastic story with plenty of great characters and lots going on.
Spread - Very weird, The Thing meets post apocalyptic future meets Lone Wolf & Cub...sort of
alphatyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 20:26   #35
Masukai
Trusted User

Invincible was fantastic - loved it!
Masukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 19:47   #36
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

New image comics Humble Bundle! $20 will get you $380 worth of comics. Includes saga, outcast, injection, bitch planet, injection and 47 issues of invincible.
Old 14-01-2016, 17:52   #37
deftone666
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
New image comics Humble Bundle! $20 will get you $380 worth of comics. Includes saga, outcast, injection, bitch planet, injection and 47 issues of invincible.
Came here to post this myself, utter bargain with some incredible collections.

https://www.humblebundle.com/getbooks
deftone666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 10:27   #38
roddy
Trusted User

Been working in the local library a bit lately, sitting next to the comics / graphic novels. Ended up taking Watchmen out and have been blown away by how good it is - I've never been dismissive of comics, but kind of saw them as not for me. Have ended up really enjoying it and reading it about four times as quickly as intended. On the last couple of chapters now.

Also have Maus and the start of the Sandman series on reserve. Only challenge now is not to go overboard and spend all my time reading this stuff...
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 13:39   #39
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Good choices roddy, see you are starting with quality, amongst the best work produced. I hope you get on with sandman, Maus is an amazing book.

As is Watchmen, I personally was impressed with the film adaptation. They got so much right, he even improved on the ending, imo.
Old 19-01-2016, 15:37   #40
roddy
Trusted User

Yeah, I accidentally took one of the later Sandman books out - only read a bit before realising this wasn't going to work and reserving the first one, but I have to admit it didn't seem to be my kind of thing. Love some of Gaiman's other work though, so will give it a fair go.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote