Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 24-07-2016, 15:33   #381
worthit
Maillot Jaune

How can I get Napster to show up on my iPhone Sonos controller? It shows Spotify and Soundcloud, but I don't use those. Cheers
worthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 16:13   #382
basegreen
neergesab

Might show as Rhapsody
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 19:56   #383
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I can see it to add on mine. Add services and it should be I there.

Didn't realize anyone still used Napster!
Old 24-07-2016, 20:45   #384
worthit
Maillot Jaune

I updated the app and it was there

and yes I still use Napster it does what I need it to do for £9.99 Is Spotify any better/ cheaper?
worthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 22:10   #385
basegreen
neergesab

You can get spotify half price by getting an NUS card (not hard, google it).

Spotify is the best in terms of the overall experience, but Deezer allows for better bit rates, apple music has a slightly larger catalogue I guess.
Thanked once by:
worthit (25-07-2016)
Old 25-07-2016, 07:00   #386
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Google Music, Apple and Spotify all have family subs as well, up to 6 accounts for £15 a month - great for multi-households (or if you can get together enough friends/family to share one).

Personally I found Napster very basic when I used the month trial last year. Google Music is the best IMO, then Spotify. Apple has a similar amount of stuff, but my wife currently has the three month free trial, but I find the interface on her iPhone a strange combination of basic and messy. I would rate the different services as;
1 Google Music
2 Spotify
3 Rdio (but now closed)
4 Apple Music
5 Deezer
6 Napster/Rhapsody

I've not tried Tidal. You can get a free three month trial on Google, Spotify and Apple still I think, plus free trials on the others, so it's well worth trialling them all - you could easily get a year of free premium music streaming.
Thanked once by:
worthit (25-07-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 10:33   #387
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Would you say a Sonos Play 1 has enough presence to fill a lounge room (not a big one, around 7m x 5m)?

When I say presence I'm not talking about volume. I mean my X-mini II speaker is loud enough for my lounge. But the level where you feel and be immersed in the music.

I'm looking for wireless speakers which aren't too large but with enough power to enjoy the music.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:38   #388
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I guess everyone has a different idea of what sounds good, but I'd say so. We have one in our bedroom which is around 4x5m and it sounds great.

You could always buy online from somewhere like John Lewis or Amazon, try it out and if you're not happy send it back. Both are excellent with returns.
Thanked once by:
KeyserSoze (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 10:41   #389
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Spotify have announced that they will be having Sonos integration into their mobile apps soon. That'll be great, as it means anyone visiting with Spotify on their phone can play directly to your Sonos system.....hmmm, or maybe that may not be so great if they have bad taste in music!

They've said it'll be available in the Sonos Beta from October, so just sign up to that through the Sonos app.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...port-announced

Last edited by Stevie G; 11-09-2016 at 10:45.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:38   #390
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

So you can't stream Spotify at all from a mobile device? I thought that feature was standard already. I remember looking into Sonas a couple of years ago but decided against them as you weren't free to stream anything from a computer. But I always assume big name apps like Spotify worked with them already.
Old 11-09-2016, 15:27   #391
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

You can, but you access Spotify through the Sonos app. When you're using Spotify on Sonos you're not playing from your phone, you're controlling it through the Sonos app on your phone and the Sonos speaker does the streaming from SPotify's servers.

They are adding integration so that you will also be able to just use the Spotify app and play straight to your Sonos speakers instead of having to use the Sonos app. You can still access all your Spotify stuff through Sonos at the moment, but the Spotify app gives you thinks like the thumbs up, adding stuff to your collection, etc, which you don't get via the Sonos app.

The only app that currently lets you play to a Sonos speaker directly from an app is Google Music on Android. For all services you use the Sonos app, but they are working at getting this integration into them so you can use the Spotify app, Google Music app, Apple Music app, etc instead of using the Sonos app.

Last edited by Stevie G; 11-09-2016 at 15:29.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
KeyserSoze (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 18:29   #392
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Since the connection to the speaker is proprietary I guess the app developer must be on board in order to support it.

Wish they supported AirPlay.
Old 14-09-2016, 17:53   #393
roddy
Trusted User

Considering purchasing a pair of Sonos Play 1's, but seem to have hit a problem. What I want to do is...
a) Have stereo music streaming from Spotify or Amazon Music
b) Play catch-up BBC Radio iPlayer content - not bothered about stereo here

a) is no problem. b) however, it seems BBC iPlayer Radio apps don't play nice with Sonos. I see reference to using TuneIn as an alternative, but I think that's only for live content, not for catch-up? Do I understand that right? Any feasible work arounds? I believe a Play 5 and a Chromecast would work, but that's obviously a bit pricier?
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 18:53   #394
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Sonos uses Tunein for its radio streaming and has all the live channels, plus some podcasts, but it's nowhere near as comprehensive as the iPlayer apps.

Do you use iOS or Android?

With iOS, if you use the built in Apple podcast app the Sonos app can access the media on your device and can see and access your podcasts, so you can play directly from the device to any of your Sonos speakers, see below;
http://imgur.com/a/f20Sa

Android is more flexible in that apps like Pocketcasts that will share your podcasts with other media players can play straight to Sonos.

I actually have a Play 5 and a Chromecast Audio which I use to cast to my Sonos speakers, mainly because I like using MediaMonkey on a Fire tablet running Cyanogenmod. It works well, and you can specify which speakers or speakers it defaults to when something is played through that aux in, and the audio can be moved around to other speakers in the normal way.

It sounds like it does what you want. Like I suggested to Keysersoze, if you buy online from Amazon or John Lewis it's easy to return if it doesn't do what you want. Bet you keep them though!
Thanked once by:
roddy (14-09-2016)
Old 14-09-2016, 21:15   #395
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Is there any chance new versions of Play 1 will be released soon? It's been 3 years. I was thinking of buying one first. Would be ****** if new one came out in between.
Old 14-09-2016, 21:30   #396
roddy
Trusted User

Thanks, Stevie. I'm on iOS, although I wouldn't rule out getting a cheap Android tablet if it made life easier. Trouble is that not everything I'd want to listen to is available as a podcast - I listen to quite a bit of radio drama and the like, for example.

The trouble with the Play 5 is that I want stereo with wider separation, which means buying at least a Play 5 AND a Play 1, which is a bit more than I want to spend.

However I've just seen Bose have *finally* announced left-right stereo pairing for their Soundtouch 10. That'd give me stereo for supported apps (Spotify is the only one I'm fussed about) and anything else can be played mono over Bluetooth. It's not being released till November so I'll wait and see if it actually happens, but that's not too long to wait.
Old 14-09-2016, 21:47   #397
basegreen
neergesab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Is there any chance new versions of Play 1 will be released soon? It's been 3 years. I was thinking of buying one first. Would be ****** if new one came out in between.
No danger. No hardware refresh on the 1 due any time soon.

Play3 next.
Old 15-09-2016, 09:29   #398
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
However I've just seen Bose have *finally* announced left-right stereo pairing for their Soundtouch 10. That'd give me stereo for supported apps (Spotify is the only one I'm fussed about) and anything else can be played mono over Bluetooth. It's not being released till November so I'll wait and see if it actually happens, but that's not too long to wait.
I'd really suggest you try the whole package if possible before you plump for something else...Sonos is just so elegant and integrates so well.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 10:09   #399
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Sonos are constantly making improvements as well, and they'll be having direct app integration in Spotify very soon.
Old 15-09-2016, 11:06   #400
roddy
Trusted User

I'm sure Sonos is fantastic and I've been very tempted. But it seems if I want to be able to send *anything* to the speakers, as opposed to supported apps, and have two separate speakers, I need a Play5, a Play1 and a Chromecast audio. That's £430+£170+£20. £620 all in. I don't want to be spending that much. So unless I've misunderstood or any of you folk are letting some gear go dirt cheap...

Last edited by roddy; 15-09-2016 at 11:16.