Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 18:31   #1
Guest 13065
Trusted User

Game of Thrones Season 3 Spoilers

Guess it is time for a new thread for Season 3

Here is an update from GRRM himself

http://grrm.livejournal.com/279376.h...medium=twitter

The TV show. I finished and delivered my script for season three of GAME OF THRONES. It's episode 307, with the working title "Autumn Storms." David and Dan seem to like it. Casting is in full swing for the new season, so I'm watching auditions every night. Froggy may be turning up soon, but don't hold your breath. I'm too busy to devote much time to whipping up obscure clues.
Guest 13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 19:11   #2
welshmatt
Rusted User

Just finish the books first, you're not getting any younger George!
welshmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 07:51   #3
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Do you think it's possible he's burnt out writing the books and he's looking to finish the story through the TV series?

Last edited by Roberto; 13-05-2012 at 16:17.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 09:31   #4
welshmatt
Rusted User

Ive read a few similar comments elsewhere and I think its quite possible the TV series may finish off the whole story. We all know GRRM is getting on a bit and 2 more books of similar length and complexity of the recent ones must be bloody hard work.

I guess ultimately it depends on whether he has already mapped out the general storyline to the end and is now filling in the gaps so to speak. I would have thought he would have some idea how he wants the saga to end surely?

Last edited by welshmatt; 13-05-2012 at 09:38.
Old 13-05-2012, 16:31   #5
Shingster
Trusted User

He absolutely has the storyline mapped out, he uses foreshadowing far too much not to, there are too many dream sequences/prophecies bandied around and he's informed the TV show producers of certain future events not in the books for a series that is mostly being made up as it goes. This is just a case of a writer wanting to take the time to make sure they get the ending right rather than rushing it and compromising it because of the possibility that he might be in the grave before he finishes the final book. Martin has always struck me as someone who takes the Song of Ice & Fire fanbase very seriously and understands he has an almost obligation to the fanbase to see this through to the end in novel form.

It doesn't make sense that he would want to finish the series through the TV show given that he's already written at least 5-7 seasons' worth of material and he's currently working on another book which will probably add another 2 seasons' worth. If they are to remain faithful to at least most of the novels (and say, diverge after books 5/6 and end it themselves) then the novels have a good chance of being finished by the time the show ends. Obviously the other alternative is that Martin could leave it to the HBO writing team to finish the story, but if that was the case why not just stop writing the books now and concentrate on the show?

I think people tend to exaggerate Martin's age as well given he's only 63, there are plenty of older writers/actors/filmmakers/etc out there tied to serials without the constant speculation that they won't reach the end. Perhaps it's because of his weight?

Last edited by Shingster; 13-05-2012 at 16:35.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 18:10   #6
welshmatt
Rusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I think people tend to exaggerate Martin's age as well given he's only 63, there are plenty of older writers/actors/filmmakers/etc out there tied to serials without the constant speculation that they won't reach the end. Perhaps it's because of his weight?
I think you're right, I honestly had no idea he was only 63. That's my dad's age, but he looks more like my Grandad who is in his 80s!
Old 13-05-2012, 20:33   #7
Shingster
Trusted User

He does look like a bit like a gnome! AFAIA though I don't think there have been health scares reported about him in the past, he's just a fat older guy with lots of grey hair making him look older still than he is.

I remember reading a while back that Ron Perlman expressed a desire to appear in the show, how amazing would it be if they cast him as Victarion? I guess his commitments to Sons of Anarchy could be a problem though.

Last edited by Shingster; 13-05-2012 at 20:33.
Old 13-05-2012, 22:13   #8
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A Storm of Swords is certainly the best book in the series so far, so much happening and action-packed, so seeing some of those events on screen is an exciting thought.
Splitting the book over two seasons is brilliant, it will really do the story justice.

The production team mentioned that some of the characters that have been left out of season 2 may well appear in season 3, as they can't afford to have actors cast who have nothing to do until their story comes to the fore.

I'd love to see Ron Perlman get a role! Actually, I think it would be of benefit for them to try and get another recogonisable famous face to play a part. I'm trying to think of the major new roles in the story and all I can remember off the top of my head is:

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 16-05-2012 at 10:18.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 09:42   #9
avid fan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I remember reading a while back that Ron Perlman expressed a desire to appear in the show, how amazing would it be if they cast him as Victarion?
That would be good - though the Hound was practically written for him, wasn't it? (always had his face in my mind when i first read it).

Would be so interested in finding out how much of these things really were plotted out by GRRM before he wrote Game of Thrones – just imaging the complexity of mapping out the numbers of characters, the history and the plot dynamics is completely mind numbing – he must have a whole room (or maybe number of rooms) just filled with flow charts, annotations and all sorts in order to make sense of the whole thing .
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 09:52   #10
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Yes, IIRC Martin did write the part of the Hound with Ron Perlman in his head (and I also had him in my mind when I first read the books).

There are a few interviews about where Martin talks about how he worked out the overall story back at the start. It began with the first few chapters of Game of Thrones which flowed fairly easily from him, then he stopped writing and spent some time "world building" so he could map everything out properly. Things have changed along the way, but he's always know his beginning, middle and ending.
Old 18-05-2012, 11:30   #11
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A leaked audition take would seem to suggest that they are finally casting a character who was cut out of seasons 1 and 2:
Old 29-05-2012, 19:04   #12
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

New characters confirmed to be appearing in season 3:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/ga...season-3-cast/

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 29-05-2012 at 19:08.
Old 30-05-2012, 07:19   #13
avid fan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
New characters confirmed to be appearing in season 3:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/ga...season-3-cast/
Good stuff - thought a few of those might have been culled.
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 19:11   #14
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Casting rumours beginning to surface:

Clive Russel as Brynden Tully, the Blackfish
Nathalie Emmanuel
Mackenzie Crook (interesting!)
Tara Fitzgerald
Old 01-07-2012, 21:15   #15
Matt_Bro14
Trusted User

Interesting. Saving on budget by going after ex-Casualty and Hollyoaks actors perhaps?

I think I prefer that though, rather than stunt casting - rather they do the character justice.

Can't think who those last 3 could be though... especially Crook, although he looks like he'd fit into the world pretty well,
Matt_Bro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 22:09   #16
SIMON ADEBISI

Mance Ryder?
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 22:17   #17
nsb
Trusted User

I wonder why they didn't cast Lady Selyse for Season 2? I haven't read the third book yet, does she play a bigger role?
nsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 13:35   #18
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Bro14 View Post
Can't think who those last 3 could be though... especially Crook, although he looks like he'd fit into the world pretty well,
I can kind of picture him as a twisted Ramsay Snow.
Old 02-07-2012, 14:10   #19
James45
Trusted User

Quote:
Casting rumours beginning to surface:

Clive Russell as Brynden Tully, the Blackfish
Just passed that point in the first book and I pretty much had him in my head when reading that character.
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 17:00   #20
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
I can kind of picture him as a twisted Ramsay Snow.
I think this might be likely, probably going to be a decent sized role in next season as well so it makes sense. The person I thought of when I read his name was Varamyr Sixskins though! Speculation seems rife that Tara Fitzgerald will play Lady Selyse, which I think is the safest bet. Nathalie Emmanuel is harder to guess for, Taena of Myr perhaps? Might be too young for that role, maybe one of the younger sand snakes, but I don't think the younger snakes are much of a role at all are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb View Post
I wonder why they didn't cast Lady Selyse for Season 2? I haven't read the third book yet, does she play a bigger role?
Not really, but they could easily expand the role for the show.

Last edited by Shingster; 02-07-2012 at 17:13.