Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 07-04-2009, 16:10   #1
luffk
Trusted User

Ruby on rails books

Started to learn ruby on rails (my background is php but I want to do something different now). Can anyone recommend some good ruby on rails books?

I have the following at the moment:

Ruby: Visual QuickStart Guide
Foundation Rails 2
Build you own ruby on rails web applications

The last one is a bit dated as it was before Rails 2.0 however it is still proving useful. Together with the other books I'm getting my head around it.

Can anyone recommend any others with more topics or advanced stuff them which give me another step up after these? Don't think I have enough knowledge yet to go it alone but really starting to get into it now.
Old 07-04-2009, 16:20   #2
Guest 541
Trusted User

The Rails Way and Agile Web Development with Rails (3rd edition has just been released).

Last edited by AWaite; 07-04-2009 at 16:22.
Guest 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 23:12   #3
luffk
Trusted User

Cheers mate. Just had a look at the Agile Web Development with Rails contents list and it looks quite good so may plump for that one.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:43   #4
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

I have the Agile Web Development book and it's good but awful at the same time. The awful is an issue I have with Ruby on Rails which is the lack of examples and explanations out there when you go 'off course'.

What I mean is that the Agile Web Development book is set up to teach how to do an Amazon like shopping website and it does that well. However, when I was trying to do my (actually quite simple) website a page like this http://www.londonprogressivejournal.com/user/letter/410 proved to be a complete git to make because it's a form that runs on two separate models and the book has no good information about that.

Unlike PHP you don't have a huge reference of examples available to you out there so it can be very tiring to get things done because you can't work out how to code in a certain way.

I have some O'Reilly books I bought on Rails stuff when the dollar was very devalued so PDFs could be picked up for relatively little.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527310/ - Rails Cookbook
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527440/ - Ajax on Rails

They're both useful tomes. I got a third one too and I can't remember what that is now.

Anyway, the bottom line for me is that I couldn't in the end really see what made Ruby on Rails so much better than PHP as a choice of language. It's power and it's clever but it's also fiddly and annoying.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 16:52   #5
luffk
Trusted User

That is kind of what I am finding at the moment. For example I know at some point I will want to pass two variables through the url.

On my php sites I can something like http://www.myurl.com/articles/04/2009/ or http://www.myurl.com/articles.php?month=04&year=2009 and I'll know exactly how to get those variables in my script / application and do something with them.

In Rails I haven't seen an example yet in my books or on the net which shows me how to access more than one param. Sometimes I think it can be harder to learn something new when you already have knowledge of something else because you know you'll need certain things in the future.

All that said I am finding it quite interesting and I do like the whole MVC structure. Used it a couple of times in php (codeigniter mainly) but I think this is a bit better. Early days though....
Old 08-04-2009, 18:09   #6
GarethH
Idle

Whats everyone's opinion on rails? I've been coding PHP for almost 3 years now and 18 months ago I debated learning rails. However, at the time it looked like it was in its early stages. How has it progressed?
Old 08-04-2009, 18:43   #7
luffk
Trusted User

I'm still in the very early stages of learning it but my company uses it for their extranet stuff (programmed by a very talented bunch of people locally) leaving me to do php stuff for our standard website work.

They've done some really clever stuff and they never seem to have a problem hitting deadlines. (Which leads me to think that it can be as quick as people say) The chap who does the most work on it really seems to like it and having started to dabble in it over the last two weeks I can see why. I still prefer php (mainly because I know what the hell I'm doing with it) but could see that changing....

Things I like:
The MVC structure. Does make things very logical and separates design and logic. I really like this but you can do the same with php thanks to a framework.
Ruby. I'm still very new to Ruby as a language but it seems quite clean and I do like the console for you to try and little lines of code.
The controller and model generators I like. It creates the directories for you with one command which is great.
I also like the relationships between the database tables that you specify in the model. Rails is quite clever in this regard. I created two tables (news and users) and linked the two with a relationship. Even with a basic activerecord query I could find out the user who published it very easily thanks to the relationship. I also like the validations you can see in the model as well. Again Rails is very clever in this area and with the correct stuff in the model you don't have to worry about validating your forms. Rails does it for you.

Stuff I don't like:
Examples on the net - there ain't a great deal and some of them are just way to advanced for me. The beginner ones are great but I feel as if there is a gap in the middle for people like myself who are progressing but want to know a bit more (but not too much) - if that makes sense.
Deployment looks a bit of a bugger. I haven't read too much about this yet but what I have makes it seem hard work. I set up Apache, mysql on my net book last night with a view to actually installing ruby and rails and then deploying something. If anyone is interested I'll report back how well I did (or not as the case probably is).
New versions. Its great but its also a curse for those learning it. The community seems to move very quickly and its not great for those of who are taking our formative steps in the language.

Oh and the one thing I don't like is scaffolding. If I see another bloody example of this on the net it will be too soon. Great piece of kit to sell rails but to me very counter productive when you are trying to learn something from the ground up.

Edit: I'm only learning rails because I want to have a crack at something new. One of the biggest problems I've always had is not working with a team of developers. It means the chance to learn something new and bounce ideas off people is very limited so maybe I'm finding rails a bit harder because of this and not because of any short falls in it.

Last edited by luffk; 08-04-2009 at 18:47.
luffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 18:56   #8
Guest 541
Trusted User

Deployment used to be a pain, but now with Phusion Passenger (mod_rails) it's as easy as PHP.

Scaffolding is a very old element of Rails. Most people never use it.
Guest 541 is offline   Reply With Quote