Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2006, 16:07   #101
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.
 
Guest 10592's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Doombase
Posts: 9,592
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There is no HDMI on it - those are USB 2.0 ports. The output comes through the 360's standard AV port. So, component, VGA and standard definition outputs then.
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 16:18   #102
Tempest
Trusted User
 
Tempest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Horley (Gatwick)
Posts: 26,481
Thanks: 912
Thanked 733 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster
There is no HDMI on it - those are USB 2.0 ports. The output comes through the 360's standard AV port. So, component, VGA and standard definition outputs then.
I thought you needed HDMI to watch these new HD movie's?

Who whole reason why all new TV's have HDMI connector on them (for copywrite/encryption or whatever) on the disks.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 16:29   #103
pompeyfan
Built for comfort
 
pompeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Isle of Wight
Posts: 8,294
Thanks: 118
Thanked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest
I thought you needed HDMI to watch these new HD movie's?

Who whole reason why all new TV's have HDMI connector on them (for copywrite/encryption or whatever) on the disks.
HDCP is the copyright/encryption bit and can be had on HDMI and DVI connectors (the only difference between them is HDMI carries sound too like a mini-SCART and DVI needs seperate audio cables).
__________________
"Give a poor man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a poor man a bank and he can rob everyone."
pompeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 20:15   #104
Guest 23584
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 937
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a question from a novice (when it comes to hi-def). I have heard a lot of talk of juttery movement and motion blur when watching LCD displays. Is this the source material or will HD-DVD look better with fast moving scenes. I don't see the point of having high def if the screen technology makes it look like a juddery mess sometimes.
i was planning on buying a Sony Bravia KDL 32v2000 but even this model displays these artifacts apparently. Advice would be much appreciated
Guest 23584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 16:20   #105
Guest 1054
The Voice For Yoda
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Derby
Posts: 575
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen some evidence of motion blur on my Sony Bravia with sky Hd but only on some of the Discovery and National Geographic programs the content from sky and the bbc is great, hopefully i shall have a Toshiba A1 player soon so i can check that out to.
Guest 1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 13:25   #106
Guest 23584
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 937
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
andrewh, what was your first impression when you saw hi-def on the Bravia?

Last edited by Lee_eel; 02-09-2006 at 13:26.
Guest 23584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 13:46   #107
Guest 42788
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,787
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_eel
Just a question from a novice (when it comes to hi-def). I have heard a lot of talk of juttery movement and motion blur when watching LCD displays. Is this the source material or will HD-DVD look better with fast moving scenes. I don't see the point of having high def if the screen technology makes it look like a juddery mess sometimes.
i was planning on buying a Sony Bravia KDL 32v2000 but even this model displays these artifacts apparently. Advice would be much appreciated

I have a Toshiba 32wlt66 and motion blur so far is only vaguely visible on standard def Sky.

I got my HD-A1 HD-DVD player last night and have to say the picture quality is superb - much better than I was expecting goven all the people that say HD-DVD is only marhinally better than upscaled DVD - def no motion blur or any other quality issues. Also I only have Sky Captain and Jarhead so far and these arent among the nest disks for picture quality.
Guest 42788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 13:49   #108
Guest 9011
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 4,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1515
I have a Toshiba 32wlt66 and motion blur so far is only vaguely visible on standard def Sky.

I got my HD-A1 HD-DVD player last night and have to say the picture quality is superb - much better than I was expecting goven all the people that say HD-DVD is only marhinally better than upscaled DVD - def no motion blur or any other quality issues. Also I only have Sky Captain and Jarhead so far and these arent among the nest disks for picture quality.
You should get Serenity. Its clarity and grain reproduction are amazing.

I'll say it before and I'll say it again: anyone who thinks the picture quality is only slgihtly better than upscaled standard definition is crazy, or has poor eyesight, or is in denial, or all three.
Guest 9011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 14:29   #109
Guest 42788
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,787
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mackenzie
You should get Serenity. Its clarity and grain reproduction are amazing.
Thats on its way - als ordered The Searchers as thats supposed to be excellent even though its 50+ years old.
Guest 42788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 14:33   #110
thescrounger
Trusted User
 
thescrounger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kent
Posts: 19,802
Thanks: 93
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mackenzie
I'll say it before and I'll say it again: anyone who thinks the picture quality is only slgihtly better than upscaled standard definition is crazy, or has poor eyesight, or is in denial, or all three.
Or perhaps they don't care? Plenty of punters will see what some see as a huge increase in resolution, as just a bit of a sharper clearer picture on a larger screen.

Unfortunately this is the truth, and why HD formats face an uphill struggle. Sad but true.

Last edited by thescrounger; 02-09-2006 at 14:37. Reason: spelling
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 14:35   #111
thescrounger
Trusted User
 
thescrounger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kent
Posts: 19,802
Thanks: 93
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_eel
andrewh, what was your first impression when you saw hi-def on the Bravia?
The current crop of bravias are rubbish, unfortunately. I urge you to consider another brand.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 14:37   #112
Guest 9011
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 4,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger
Or perhaps they don't care? Plenty of punters will see what some see as a huge increase in resolution, as just a bit of a sharper clearer picture on a larger screen.

Unfortunately this is the thruth, and why HD formats face an uphill struggle.
Not caring is considerably different than not seeing the scale of the difference. To use an analogy, I don't care about football, but I can see the difference between the ability of David Beckham and that of an amateur.
Guest 9011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 14:38   #113
thescrounger
Trusted User
 
thescrounger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kent
Posts: 19,802
Thanks: 93
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mackenzie
Not caring is considerably different than not seeing the scale of the difference. To use an analogy, I don't care about football, but I can see the difference between the ability of David Beckham and that of an amateur.
Many people probably couldn't of course. That's the whole point. Unless you know your game, you can't judge it very well.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 15:21   #114
anephric
Kidney Thief
 
anephric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Derby, UK
Posts: 22,698
Thanks: 33
Thanked 120 Times in 76 Posts
I can see the difference quite clearly between DVD and HD-DVD, and in an earlier part of my life would've been falling over myself to import a player and software rightnowwww, exactly as I did when I bought my LD player and burned up a fair few thousand pounds on discs.

Most of my friends thought I was insane and aloof. I imagine that's the attitude of most of the public to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray (although the software's cheaper, unless it's Fox *cough*). To this day, I own the most elaborate and expensive home cinema setup of anyone I know, but compared to most people's in this thread it would seem laughable and budgetastic.

I just can't afford to be as frivolous anymore (especially as I know that if I go down that route I'll start replacing extant DVDs in my collection with HD-DVDs and the whole thing will spiral out of control since I've already double- and triple-dipped on DVD) and DVD, as it stands, will do me/will have to do me for a good while yet.

Last edited by anephric; 02-09-2006 at 20:28.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 16:02   #115
Tempest
Trusted User
 
Tempest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Horley (Gatwick)
Posts: 26,481
Thanks: 912
Thanked 733 Times in 445 Posts
As I'm sure has been said before. (probably even by me)

How big is your TV?
How far away from your TV do you sit?

These are really the 2 points that will decide how much HD means to you.

Sitting 10 or 12 feet away from a 28" set it's not going to make a blind bit of difference.

Sitting 10 feet away from a 7ft wide projection screen (as I do) it should be a "in your face, slap you round the chops with a wet kipper" difference.

1 problem many will have to overcome is persuading the wife they should have a 37", 42" etc TV in the 1st place!!!
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 16:04   #116
Spectre07
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: None Bothered
Posts: 5,806
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mackenzie
I'll say it before and I'll say it again: anyone who thinks the picture quality is only slgihtly better than upscaled standard definition is crazy, or has poor eyesight, or is in denial, or all three.
I'm firmly in the 'I don't care' camp. I've now seen a HD disc being fed into a 47" LCD display and quite frankly I wasn't blown away by the experience. The DVD picture played thru the same LCD was more than good enough. When I get round to replacing my 36" CRT, I can't see myself buying a flat panel display much bigger than the 47" screen I saw so I'm happy that my DVD collection is far from being replaced by it's HD variant.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 16:47   #117
AndyWilson
--------old-geek
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 11,606
Thanks: 71
Thanked 178 Times in 117 Posts
I think that there are very very few people for whom better picture quality will really make them enjoy a film more.

There are a lot of people however for whom very poor picture quality can detract from the enjoyment - but personally I can count the DVDs where the picture has been that bad on the fingers of one hand after a tragic rubiks cube accident...

Just like with MP3 vs CD - "good enough" is good enough quality for the vast majority of people, so they're unlikely to pay a premium for better..
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 17:54   #118
Guest 9011
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 4,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson
I think that there are very very few people for whom better picture quality will really make them enjoy a film more.

There are a lot of people however for whom very poor picture quality can detract from the enjoyment - but personally I can count the DVDs where the picture has been that bad on the fingers of one hand after a tragic rubiks cube accident...
Whereas I can just about count the DVDs with picture quality that I consider acceptable on one hand. I suppose it all comes down to (a) where you set your standards and (b) how likely you are to notice the flaws. I'm fully aware that, for a considerable number of people, standard def is completely acceptable. For those of us who want something more detailed and considerably closer to the cinema experience, though, HD DVD really is a revelation.
Guest 9011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 18:20   #119
Spectre07
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: None Bothered
Posts: 5,806
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mackenzie
(a) where you set your standards and (b) how likely you are to notice the flaws.
...and how deep your pockets are. I have to admit, if I won the lottery, I'd be into HD in a big way. But in absence of a huge jackpot I'm loath to spend my hard earned cash replacing my exisiting hardware and DVD collection.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 18:35   #120
Guest 9011
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 4,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre07
...and how deep your pockets are. I have to admit, if I won the lottery, I'd be into HD in a big way. But in absence of a huge jackpot I'm loath to spend my hard earned cash replacing my exisiting hardware and DVD collection.
Okay, I'll give you that. I split the cost with my brother so I wasn't as stung by the price as I would have been if I'd bought it myself. Still, there's no actual reason to replace your DVD collection unless you really can't stand how DVDs look now. If you think of the player as an amazingly good upconverter that also happens to play HD discs, it suddenly seems like much better value for money.
Guest 9011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
HD-DVD Disc

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 19:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network