Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Notices

Old 08-04-2005, 08:50   #201
Kal El
SuperMember

Just spoke to customs about getting a refund from my DVD Soon packet. Must say they are very helpful.

As soon as he got the paper work out he said let me guess, DVD Soon have printed the price before discount?

He said approximately 25% of his day is taken up dealing with DVD Soon claim backs and they have contacted DVD Soon numerous times asking them to rectify the situation!!!
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 14:52   #202
Guest 7768
Trusted User

I've ordered The Blackadder Boxset from DVDSoon at a price of £35.45. I came home from work the other day to find a card from the postman saying there was a £11.50 charge on the parcel.

Does this seem about right? Seems a bit steep at nearly a third of what i've already paid.
Guest 7768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 16:10   #203
Guest 3627
GamerTag: Caygs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@T
I've ordered The Blackadder Boxset from DVDSoon at a price of £35.45. I came home from work the other day to find a card from the postman saying there was a £11.50 charge on the parcel.

Does this seem about right? Seems a bit steep at nearly a third of what i've already paid.
The calculation is on the front page for you to work out, but yep, seems right to me. £7.50-ish duty & VAT and £4 admin fee.
Guest 3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 17:08   #204
Guest 10058
Trusted User

Does anyone know if dvdimport mark their packages with the price you pay or the non-discounted price?
Guest 10058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 14:14   #205
Herbal
Trusted User

Does anyone know the rate for March? The dvd was posted 30/03 but the HMCE site is down.

Thanks
Herbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 07:33   #206
Herbal
Trusted User

Had to telephone them, the rate for march is 2.3349 and April is 2.2744

Still the dvd i had was $39.58 and was £17.40 Lucky me.

Letter sent for refund today
Herbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 05:05   #207
Guest 45658

I got a laptop in US. Could anyone help me out with calculation of amount to pay to get my laptop in US?

Thanks a ton
Guest 45658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 10:06   #208
Guest 993
Trusted User

Looks like HM C&E is no more... replaced by HM Revenue & Customs...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/

Ties up Inland Revenue and C&E under one department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachthao81
I got a laptop in US. Could anyone help me out with calculation of amount to pay to get my laptop in US?
I assume you bought it in the US. How are you bringing it back?

If by post...

A laptop is free of Duty and you pay 17.5% VAT on it.

So, you just work it out like this...

Amount to pay = (17.5% of the Value of laptop including shipping) + handling fee of courier (see first page of this thread).

If you are travelling back with the laptop...

Same as above if the laptop is worth more than £145 (most likely). Though this is set to change at some point when the new limit announced in the budget kicks in (£1000), in which case most US bought laptops will come in under this value so will be free.

However there is a good chance you can get a laptop back without getting caught so long as you are prepared to bin the box it came in, or flat pack the box and post it back to the UK. Post the receipts back to the UK too.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:24   #209
Guest 45658

Thanks Kenny,

Yeah, it will come here by post. I am willing to bin the box. My friend bought this for me as a present. Your info helps me a lot.

Cheers,
Guest 45658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:54   #210
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachthao81
Thanks Kenny,

Yeah, it will come here by post. I am willing to bin the box. My friend bought this for me as a present. Your info helps me a lot.
If it's coming by post then no need to bin the box. The limit is £18 by post (£36 as a gift in your case so long as it's shipped from a private address) so it's going to be way over anyway.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:42   #211
Guest 48013
Trusted User

Can anyone find the May $CA exchange rate on the C&E site, ive been going round in circles!

edit:actually its 2.3774 obtained from here

Last edited by russb; 07-05-2005 at 07:54.
Guest 48013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:15   #212
Guest 3627
GamerTag: Caygs

Quote:
Originally Posted by russb
Can anyone find the May $CA exchange rate on the C&E site, ive been going round in circles!

edit:actually its 2.3774 obtained from here
Main Page - Quick Links - Exchange Rates
Guest 3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2005, 14:35   #213
Guest 48339
Trusted User

Customs Charge Enquiry after ordering from CDJapan.co.jp

Luckily this wasnt me, it was a mate.

He ordered X Japan - The Last Live DVD which was around £45 excluding postage, and he's an impatient bugger so he paid an extra £10 or so for EMS which as you know is express shipping. It was posted on thursday and he got it monday morning, but his dad had to pay a customs charge of £23 when it arrived! I thought this was f'n disgusting for a bloody DVD!

If I remember correctly, the "receipt" that was stuck on the package was a Parcel Force one. Now I was planning on ordering this dvd sometime in the next couple of years when my lazy arse decides to get a job, but I have been put off by this now. If I pay for standard airmail, will I also get hit with a £23 customs charge or was it just Parcel Force being ********?

Any help is appreciated as i'm a thick ****

On a slightly similar note, i've ordered dvds from ebay sellers from HK/JP and ordered 5+ DVD's sometimes but never been hit with a customs charge
Guest 48339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 00:50   #214
Guest 993
Trusted User

If you pay for express shipping with ParcelFarce, it's a mandatory £13.50 handling fee, regardless of whether the item is over the customs limit or not! (as I found to my cost when I wanted something quick that in fact was even exempt anyway! ).

I think their excuse is the fee is to get it to clear customs quickly (yeah, right ).

Rule number one... never, ever use express shipping with ParcelFarce!

Standard airmail should in theory go via regular RoyalMail when it gets to the UK, which means there's a much higher chance it will escape customs fees. However, for a £45 item you should be paying VAT & Duty, so assuming you do get hit, then refer to the first page on this thread for the calculation...

... or for lazy buggers...

Take the value of item + shipping cost
Add 3.5% (duty for DVDs)
Add 17.5% (VAT)
Add £4 to go into RM's pocket
Take off the value of item + shipping
What's left is the amount you'll have to pay.

So, let's say airmail was £5...

(£50 + 3.5% + 17.5% + £4) - £50 = £14.80 to pay.

Quote:
On a slightly similar note, i've ordered dvds from ebay sellers from HK/JP and ordered 5+ DVD's sometimes but never been hit with a customs charge
Luck.

Plus I bet those ebay sellers don't declare the value properly (it's actually illegal to falsify the declaration, but people do it).

Also, ebay items usually come in packages that look like personal items from an individual, so tend to get away without charges more, but the rule is you still should be paying when buying from ebayers just the same as from retailers, whether the item is new or second hand. Even the 'gift' rule doesn't apply unless you haven't paid for the item or paid anyone else to get it for you (not that anyone can prove it), and besides 'gift' just raises the limit to £36.

I've ordered off plenty of official retailers and rarely get hit, so long as the item goes through RoyalMail. If you order something to be sent by any courier you drastically increase the chances of being hit.

These days though I keep order values under £18 if possible (very easy with stuff from the US given the current exchange rate ).

Last edited by DeadKenny; 26-05-2005 at 00:56.
Old 26-05-2005, 10:13   #215
Guest 1956
Captain

ordered a RC engine from Tower Hobbies in the US 2 weeks ago and paid $159. Received it two days ago with no further costs. This engine is £150 here so im well chuffed.
Guest 1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 14:28   #216
Guest 45362
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Does anyone know if dvdimport mark their packages with the price you pay or the non-discounted price?
The price you pay.

All suppliers should mark the price you pay. Just like DVDSoon should mark the packages for those who have received an extra discount via their Fidelity Card witht he discounted price, but don't.

The only exceptions to this rule are: discounts received for bulk orders, and "trade" discounts. In this case, the full price has to be quoted. Otherwise, the price should be what the customer actually paid. This is why replacement items are quite legally marked as zero valued.

As a side note: I found my one experience with DVDImport very unsatisfactory. They took even longer to deliver than DVDSoon (!), their stock indicators are completely inaccurate (I ordered a rare title from these jokers as they were the only place that claimed to have it in stock - it was for a Christmas gift. I then spent eight weeks watching it "on order").

Finally, their payments system is not encrypted! Most places have secure servers for when you put your payment details - the best ones are Thawte verified. Not DVDImport!

They also list a lot of discontinued/out of print titles as available for order. Even real rarities like the Anchor Bay Hammer titles, or "This Island Earth".

Last edited by Nebiroth; 26-05-2005 at 14:32.
Guest 45362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 17:11   #217
Guest 48339
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny
If you pay for express shipping with ParcelFarce, it's a mandatory £13.50 handling fee, regardless of whether the item is over the customs limit or not! (as I found to my cost when I wanted something quick that in fact was even exempt anyway! ).

I think their excuse is the fee is to get it to clear customs quickly (yeah, right ).

Rule number one... never, ever use express shipping with ParcelFarce!

Standard airmail should in theory go via regular RoyalMail when it gets to the UK, which means there's a much higher chance it will escape customs fees. However, for a £45 item you should be paying VAT & Duty, so assuming you do get hit, then refer to the first page on this thread for the calculation...
Cheers for the info and apologies to the mods because i started a new thread instead of posting here
Guest 48339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 21:16   #218
Kevin
Trusted User

HMC&E May exchange rate question

Edit

Last edited by Kevin; 28-05-2005 at 10:41. Reason: Got it now. Thanks
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 21:19   #219
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
I have moved your thread to the existing thread to keep everything neat and tidy
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 11:56   #220
chubbybrown
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal El
Just spoke to customs about getting a refund from my DVD Soon packet. Must say they are very helpful.

As soon as he got the paper work out he said let me guess, DVD Soon have printed the price before discount?

He said approximately 25% of his day is taken up dealing with DVD Soon claim backs and they have contacted DVD Soon numerous times asking them to rectify the situation!!!
Same here for me,the postie at the end of the phone said the above as soon as I mentioned dvd :-)

he said send paperwork and they will credit simple enough !

I explained I always never paid and he said they were fined in february for obviously firing stuff through that should have charges on it,he reckoned they were fined about 1million poor sods.

Not happy about my £8 bill for 80p over the limit though ..sods
chubbybrown is offline   Reply With Quote