Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 26-01-2003, 13:17   #1
Guest 25958
Banned

DVD Audio - a guide for thickos needed UPDATED Player bought, help still needed!

I am really really confused and I hope you guys can help.

I am seriously thinking of upgrading to a DVD Audio player, but I am wondering whether I really need to.

I have looked at discs, and they all say that they will play on my standard DVD player so why do I need to upgrade. I am aware that the sound system is different on a DVD-Audio player, but just how different is it?

I have heard the DTS version of Bo-Rap on the recent DVD they released and thought it was awesome. Does a standard audio DVD sound like that on a normal player or not?

Also, how much am I likely to pay for a DVD Audio player at somewhere like Richer Sounds, and will it play movies as well? If it does, I will need a multi-region player.

And finally, are DVD Audio discs regionally coded like movies?

Sorry for so many questions but I would really appreciate your help. And please try to stick with layman's language if possible - I'm pretty thick!

Last edited by Michael Sullivan; 31-01-2003 at 13:18.
Guest 25958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2003, 14:10   #2
Guest 8062
Serial AV Upgrader

Michael - don't be so hard on yourself Your questions are valid IMO so here goes ...
DVD-A is not region coded AFAIK
B4 I got my DVD-A player I bought a couple of DVD-A discs & thought the sound was excellent in DD5.1 or DTS (which are the extra tracks you get on all DVD-A discs - mainly DD5.1 but some have DTS - Queen ANATO for example)
DVD-A is another league or two higher audio wise and IMO worth the outlay for a DVD-A capable player
Having the DVD-A player gives you other extras that a standard DVD player cannot access (video footage / commentaries etc)
Richer are doing a DVD-A player which is also multi region for £199 which I have just recommended to a friend & he is very pleased with it ...
If I had the money I'd spend a bit more on a "hybrid" DVD player which will do DVD DVD-A & SACD (Pioneer do such a machine - 656 I believe which is about £350 multi region)
HTH - Paul
Guest 8062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2003, 14:18   #3
Guest 25958
Banned

So if I bought some discs, they would play on my standard player and sound better? Cool.

Who makes this player, then? 200 quid is certainly affordable, especially as I have a buyer for my old DVD player, should I decide to upgrade.
Old 26-01-2003, 19:28   #4
Guest 8062
Serial AV Upgrader

Michael - the richer DVD-A player is a Limit 9900SE (see link)
http://www.richersounds.com/index.ph...l.php&p=300260
My m8 got one form our nearest store in Guildford a week ago & he thinks it the mutts nuts ... Paul
Old 26-01-2003, 19:54   #5
dtsrules
Trusted User

If you have the extra money go for the pioneer 656 as it really is a brilliant player.
dtsrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2003, 19:59   #6
Guest 25958
Banned

With the greatest respects to your mate, does he know his stuff? At this price, can a no-name player really be that good. I've emailed Richer and asked them to reserve me one, and I will confirm the order when I hear that this really is that good.

Looking forward to a reply......

Oh and thanks, by the way, for the link. really helpful and appreciated!

ps. Sorry, DTS rules didn't see your post. Do you have any links for that - Richer dont seem to have it. How much is it?

Last edited by Michael Sullivan; 26-01-2003 at 20:01.
Old 26-01-2003, 20:16   #7
dtsrules
Trusted User

Richer sell it but it's not on the website. It has just gone up in price to £350 multi region, it was £330 when i bought mine.

Here is the player in all it's glory

Last edited by dtsrules; 26-01-2003 at 20:17.
dtsrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2003, 07:35   #8
Guest 25958
Banned

I got all excited and clicked - but it doesn't work!

I'll do my own search for it. Thanks again!
Old 27-01-2003, 10:44   #9
Guest 8062
Serial AV Upgrader

Michael - Good point re my mate - what does he know eh!
Other threads on the player however have been fairly positive especially over on avforums - I prefer a brand name myself but you will pay more than £199 for such a unit with DVD-A
The good thing about Richersounds is if its not to your liking you can take it back & exchange or even get your money back ...
Paul
Old 27-01-2003, 11:13   #10
ezg
Trusted User

The Panasonic DVDRA-82 player that I bought last month does DVD Audio playback and that only cost me £199 for the multi-region version from http://www.multiregionmagic.co.uk/

Panasonic also have a promo on at the moment where you can choose three, free dvd audio discs from a selection of five discs when you buy one of these players.

Cant remember the whole list but I ended up getting The Corrs, The Doobie Brothers and Missy Elliot.

Last edited by ezg; 27-01-2003 at 11:14.
ezg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2003, 12:08   #11
At The Gates
Trusted User

Dont you also need an amp with 6 audio RCA jack inputs, as an optical/coaxial cable cant carry the signal?
At The Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2003, 13:12   #12
Guest 25958
Banned

Oh no! I knew it wouldn't be that simple......

Is this true?

If so, I have the inputs, but what leads do I need?

HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!

Old 27-01-2003, 13:24   #13
ezg
Trusted User

Maybe this is of some help, from the Digital Audio Guide website faq.

http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/faq.../faq_intro.htm

What audio system is required for DVD-Audio?

Ideally, a receiver or preamplifier with 6 RCA analog inputs, that does not convert the analog signal back to digital for internal processing and that supports a dynamic range and frequency response comparable with the ultra-high audio fidelity possible with DVD-Audio.

However, a DVD-Audio player can also be used with a two channel stereo system. Many DVD-Audio disks will contain 2 channel PCM stereo tracks and for those disks recorded only in multi-channel PCM, the DVD-Audio players will downmix the multi-channel recording into stereo.

It is expected that for the foreseeable future, all DVD-Audio players will include internal DAC’s (Digital to Analog Converters) and processors with output being provided to six RCA analog connections. The commonly used digital connectors (optical and coaxial) are not capable of handling the data rates that can be generated by a DVD-Audio player. Future DVD-Audio players may include a digital FireWire (IEEE 1394) connection with can handle the high data rate. In September, 2001 the DVD Forum released Version 0.9 of the Guideline of Transmission and Control for DVD-Video/Audio through IEEE1394 Bus (pdf)

Note: DVD-Audio sets a new standard in frequency response and dynamic range.

Therefore, to take full advantage of DVD-Audio, the capabilities of EACH audio component in a system must be examined. This includes speakers, connections and power conditioning. It may be necessary to use the highest quality and shortest possible RCA patch cables to not suffer loss of any frequency response and maintain low-noise levels.
ezg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2003, 13:40   #14
Guest 9
Trusted User

Nah go for the Tosh 900e, OK it's 700 notes but as it was originally 1300 notes when it first came out, then that represents a serious saving on a serious piece of kit.
Guest 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2003, 07:30   #15
Guest 25958
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ezg
Maybe this is of some help, from the Digital Audio Guide website faq.

http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/faq.../faq_intro.htm

What audio system is required for DVD-Audio?

Ideally, a receiver or preamplifier with 6 RCA analog inputs, that does not convert the analog signal back to digital for internal processing and that supports a dynamic range and frequency response comparable with the ultra-high audio fidelity possible with DVD-Audio.

However, a DVD-Audio player can also be used with a two channel stereo system. Many DVD-Audio disks will contain 2 channel PCM stereo tracks and for those disks recorded only in multi-channel PCM, the DVD-Audio players will downmix the multi-channel recording into stereo.

It is expected that for the foreseeable future, all DVD-Audio players will include internal DAC’s (Digital to Analog Converters) and processors with output being provided to six RCA analog connections. The commonly used digital connectors (optical and coaxial) are not capable of handling the data rates that can be generated by a DVD-Audio player. Future DVD-Audio players may include a digital FireWire (IEEE 1394) connection with can handle the high data rate. In September, 2001 the DVD Forum released Version 0.9 of the Guideline of Transmission and Control for DVD-Video/Audio through IEEE1394 Bus (pdf)

Note: DVD-Audio sets a new standard in frequency response and dynamic range.

Therefore, to take full advantage of DVD-Audio, the capabilities of EACH audio component in a system must be examined. This includes speakers, connections and power conditioning. It may be necessary to use the highest quality and shortest possible RCA patch cables to not suffer loss of any frequency response and maintain low-noise levels.
I appreciate your help, but I am afraid that that went right above my head. What exactly do I need to get in addition to the player in terms of leads, and what do I need to check for on the back of my amp?

When I get this, will I no longer need an optical cable going from my DVD player to my amp? It'll be good if I dont, 'cause I'm getting an X-Box next week too, so I can connect that to the optical slot.
Old 28-01-2003, 16:19   #16
Guest 8062
Serial AV Upgrader

Michael - as has been pointed out you do need six phono leads to connect your dvd-a player to your amplifier for dvd-a as the dvd-a signal is not carried by an optical or coaxial lead ...
Your existing coaxial or optical is still required even with the six phono leads connected as when the coaxial or optical is used it is your amp which is decoding not the dvd palyer - if you disconnect the coaxial or optical and leave only the six phonos then your amp will be using the DD5.1 DTS & DVD-A decoders in your DVD player - my understanding is that you should expect an amp to do a better job of decoding DD5.1 or DTS than a DVD player
Im sure that has confused you even more but feel free to ask if you need further clarification ... Paul
Old 29-01-2003, 09:56   #17
Guest 25958
Banned

I think that has helped, actually Thanks!

Basically, as I see it, I will still need the optical lead for when watching movies, but the six phone leads for when listening to DVDA-A.

The only final question is, will the amp automatically recognise which signal is coming in when it is switched to DVD? Or do I need a seperate setting on the amp for playing DVD-A?

Sorry for all the questions, but I REALLY appreciate the help.

Old 29-01-2003, 10:03   #18
Guest 8062
Serial AV Upgrader

Michael - Nearly there honest
On my Denon you have to change from the "normal" output to "External In" - your amp no doubt will have a similar setting to tell it the external device (DVD-A player) is doing the decoding ...
It will be worth it honestly ... Paul
Old 29-01-2003, 10:33   #19
Guest 25958
Banned

Thanks - and I'm sure it will be.

I don't have the instruction manual for the amp - but I will have a fiddle tonight. It's a Pioneer.
Old 31-01-2003, 00:04   #20
John_bones
Trusted User

Snips

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulBoy
if you disconnect the coaxial or optical and leave only the six phonos then your amp will be using the DD5.1 DTS & DVD-A decoders in your DVD player - my understanding is that you should expect an amp to do a better job of decoding DD5.1 or DTS than a DVD player
Im sure that has confused you even more but feel free to ask if you need further clarification ... Paul

What amp & dvd is it that you have Michael?

That needs to be determined before deciding which decoder to use. My equipment is Pioneer and to be honest my dvd player is the better of the two. I would try both anyway because it's your ears.

Good Luck
John_bones is offline   Reply With Quote