Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 04-03-2008, 14:49   #1
Rabbi of Caerbannog
Trusted User

Loco C5: Ice Road Truckers

Has any one been watching this closely? About the lorry drivers who spend a few months (from what I can make out) of the year in Canada driving across frozen lakes taking supplies to the various diamond mines for some pretty serious $'s.

Have caught a few episodes and . Had one guy driving in minus god knows what temp with no heater and getting Frost bite on his foot

If that's not bad enough, then there are the lorries that go through the ice (ok so not all the way through)

Have got a few Sky+'d but have missed the start and not too sure how many eps I have missed.
Rabbi of Caerbannog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 14:53   #2
Karl
Singing Drunken Lullabies

Yeah, I've been watching it. According to Wikipedia the first series consists of 10 episodes. I caught one of the early episodes by accident though and am not sure how long it had been running for.
Old 04-03-2008, 14:57   #3
Rabbi of Caerbannog
Trusted User

Yep, not too sure either as it does seem to be repeated quite often. Think I have seen one episeode, or bits of, a few times now.
Rabbi of Caerbannog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 15:36   #4
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
I have seen these on the History Channel and they make for good viewing. I don't think I would do the job though knowing that at minute you could be facing the worst.

Oh and it is called Ice Road Truckers, I have edited your thread title
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 17:34   #5
fattyboombatty
The idiots are winning

great series. it's on weds and fri but i think it's only got 2 eps left. i'm not actually impressed with the money they make for the job they do. they can make about $60,000 (canadian?) in 3 months, but **** that for a laugh. is it really worth the considerable risk? i wouldn't

Last edited by fattyboombatty; 04-03-2008 at 17:36.
fattyboombatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 17:53   #6
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

I've been watching it since the start (with the help of my Sky+ series link - if I hadn't had the foresight to turn that one I would've missed episodes as Five haven't had it on a consistent schedule) and have found it compelling viewing, but I think the people doing the job are mental. Alright, so maybe they're making money hand over fist compared to what they'd normally make, but the conditions are appalling and the risks are huge. People do go through the ice. And they do die. Which doesn't stand thinking about.

They must have balls of steel, the lot of them.

Oh, I understand that the people who made the show want to film a second series, but the people who run the ice road have changed the rules about cameras being allowed and that. So I don't know what's going to happen there.
ajr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 18:16   #7
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk

I watched the first three of these and then stopped watching. My girlfriend keeps watching but says she fast forwards through a lot of material because so much is repeated.

To be honest I think this would have been better off as a 2 or 3 hour documentary. 10 episodes is stretching it a bit thin methinks.
Old 04-03-2008, 18:19   #8
Guest 12976
Smell My Cheese

Very good show - defintely worth a watch.
Guest 12976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 18:24   #9
KennyVader
Insomniac

All the shows seem to be much the same though. "Oh my truck is broken, I'll have to go oot and fix it and I'll get frostbite, eh". "Oh all the young truckers are rubbish, eh". "The first few miles are tarmac and then it's ICE!!!". "If the trucks go too fast, the ice will break".

Yep as it said in a review I read about the time the first episode was on. It makes a fascinating documentary. But then they inexplicably made 9 more episodes.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 19:13   #10
arma_uk
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader View Post
All the shows seem to be much the same though. "Oh my truck is broken, I'll have to go oot and fix it and I'll get frostbite, eh". "Oh all the young truckers are rubbish, eh". "The first few miles are tarmac and then it's ICE!!!". "If the trucks go too fast, the ice will break".

Yep as it said in a review I read about the time the first episode was on. It makes a fascinating documentary. But then they inexplicably made 9 more episodes.
i'll go along with this.
i saw it on history channel a while back and thought that although it was initially interesting, it did get very repetitive. not sure what a 2nd series would bring...
arma_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 22:49   #11
stephen
Trusted User

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Road_Truckers
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:13   #12
MarkR
Gamertag : Richo the Red

I love this programme but know what you mean about the repetitive nature of it but nothing like watching Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares U.S where they repeat things within minutes of it happening.
It's the people stories that they are working off really as the one guy who actually wanted to challenge Hugh for most amount of runs you have not seen much of as I guess nothing has happened to him and just driven there and back with nothing happening.

Channel 5 messing about with the schedules did mean I have missed one in the middle where 1 was caught speeding but otherwise top viewing.
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote