Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 03-07-2004, 18:13   #1
AndrewC
Trusted User

Video editing software

What software do you guys recommend for editing home movies shot with digi cam?

Cheers

Last edited by AndrewC; 03-07-2004 at 22:23.
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 18:15   #2
MrSpeed
Britain's Scariest Person

I'm using PS9 and am very happy with it

Thread here
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 18:20   #3
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC
What software do you guys recommend for edition home movies shot with digi cam?

Cheers

Depends what you want to do with your Home Video movies. If you have XP then movie maker II is excellent and free, has some very proffessional titling, and easy to use. Only exports as DV or web, you can't burn to disc, but fine for putting back onto camera as a final edit.

Otherwise, look for some consumer apps like Pinancle 9 or Ulead Movie Maker and the like. These ones will do most things including burn to DVD.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 20:24   #4
maddogsuk
Trusted User

I paid £45 for Ulead Video Studio 8 and I'm happy with it. Its come out with some fantastic results. If you have Broadband download the full functional trial and see how you get on, from the start I found everything straight forward and easy to pick up.

I am now though looking for more advanced editing features such as multiple picture in picture, something that is straight forward on an Avid based system. You can do picture in picture using Ulead VS, but to do multiple you need to save the first two and then add a third video cut.

Ulead well worth the trial.
maddogsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 20:36   #5
Guest 522
Banned

personally, i can't stand ulead or pinnacle products. they're too limiting for what i want to do, but might be fine for you.

www.sonicfoundry.com (link on the right hand side > sony) provide a 30 day trial of Vegas 5 , which is .. imo .. the best bit of consumer editing software you can get. easier and equally as powerful to premiere, add a copy of Movielook to it, and et voila, you'll have very good looking output with good edits. it gives you a lot more range to learn than the other more "hold your hands" software. so it all depends on what you think you're capable of really.. i can see why people like ulead/pinnacle, but i don't. so there's another option for you
Guest 522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 20:40   #6
maddogsuk
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayX
personally, i can't stand ulead or pinnacle products. they're too limiting for what i want to do
Can the software you mention do the multiple picture in picture option (like what they do in 24) and also allow you to zoom into area's of the video and descard the rest? Thats kinda what I am looking for to if its within my budget?

(AndrewC, appologies for highjacking your thread!)
Old 03-07-2004, 21:44   #7
Guest 522
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogsuk
Can the software you mention do the multiple picture in picture option (like what they do in 24) and also allow you to zoom into area's of the video and descard the rest? Thats kinda what I am looking for to if its within my budget?

(AndrewC, appologies for highjacking your thread!)
yep shouldn't be a problem to do that. you need to make use of the motion tracking feature which uses keyframes to allow you to change the size of your video clip then move it around the screen. the new version 5 has gone all "3D" with this so it offers new functionality, but i havent tried to use the new axis.

trying to remember exactly how 24 did it now.... but iirc its basically.. video fills full screen then is resized to a smaller part of the screen and other pieces of video fade in? easy. make say... 3 video layers with clips on, have the top layer fullscreen (as default when you drag the a vidoe clip to a layer) and then go into motion tracking (its one of the icons to the left of your layer), add a keyframe say 5-10secs down the line then add one how ever many seconds later (for the amount of time you want it to take to resize) and on that keyframe drag one of the points inwards makeing it smaller (making sure you have keep aspect ratio turned on). then on another layer, drag the video in and resize it using motion tracking so its the correct size you want, and on the top left corner of the layer entry you can drag a lil point inwards which'll fade the clip in. repeat for as many clips as you want.

if i've gotten this wrong, i'll dig out a 24 disc later and see what the difference is. as for the "zooming only a section of the video" part, you can do this with the pan/scan tool, but obviously you'll be fairly restricted as you dont want to zoom in too much or you'll get pixelly video (unless you have a HD cam, then.. well.. i hate you!)

the 30 day trial contains fully working software, except you won't be able to render to MPEG as it requires a seperate license. simply encode to Video For Windows > PAL DV and it'll render it in a lossless DV format, and you can use another encoder to push it to mpeg if you want to.

and if you like adobe software, then yes.. premiere is excellent. however, i hate the learning curve of adobe's products, and i find them a pain to get started with, whereas i found with vegas... i was able to do basic editing the second i used it, and started trying out slightly more complex techniques later. the video fx and transitions supplied are generally of excellent quality, and require little more than dragging them over the desired clip or transition point. easy peasy ! the website contains the full manual too, so a lot of questions will be answered in that.

www.creativecow.net is also a good resource, with forums dedicated to lots of video related programs, techniques etc

oh and mac owner... imovie is easily owned, and fcp isn't for everyone. Avid on the PC (possibly mac too, dunno) is simply, better. especially if you have the hardware for it.

Last edited by JayX; 03-07-2004 at 21:45.
Old 03-07-2004, 20:51   #8
Guest 33484
Trusted User

And does the 30-day trial provide a fully functional copy of the software? What happens when the 30 days are up?
Guest 33484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 20:53   #9
maddogsuk
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik Booth
And does the 30-day trial provide a fully functional copy of the software? What happens when the 30 days are up?
To be honest I dont know, I finished the project I was working on using the trial before the 30 days were up and then purchased the software when i next went to use it.

It did the job I was looking for, but as I said before I am hungry to try different approaches to the look of my results and Ulead, allthough fantastic for what it does doesnt offer everything I now want it to do.

Last edited by maddogsuk; 03-07-2004 at 20:54.
Old 03-07-2004, 20:55   #10
Guest 993
Trusted User

XP's Movie Maker is pants. It does the very basic stuff but not much else.

Adobe Premiere is supposed to be good. However, like Photoshop, it's v.expensive (but Photoshop is the dogs danglies, so I'd expect Premiere is too ).
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 21:17   #11
home_bas
Trusted User

[enter smug Mac owner] iMovie or Final Cut Pro are the dogs danglies depending on your level of expertise [/enter smug Mac owner]

home_bas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 00:16   #12
Guest 32637
Ayr Super Ayr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_bas
[enter smug Mac owner] iMovie or Final Cut Pro are the dogs danglies depending on your level of expertise [/enter smug Mac owner]

Guest 32637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 21:54   #13
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny
XP's Movie Maker is pants. It does the very basic stuff but not much else.

Adobe Premiere is supposed to be good. However, like Photoshop, it's v.expensive (but Photoshop is the dogs danglies, so I'd expect Premiere is too ).
Premiere Pro is what I use. It's basically a profesional piece of kit but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that's never done video editing before. The consumer editors are better for starting out because they let you do stuff just by pressing a button. In fact I still use consumer products for adding titles, because that's where premiere is weak.

Oh, and Movie Maker II does the most pro looking titles.

Last edited by thescrounger; 03-07-2004 at 21:55.
Old 03-07-2004, 22:39   #14
Guest 1752
Trusted User

Which of these products then have a burn to DVD option included please?
Guest 1752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 23:37   #15
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faythur
Which of these products then have a burn to DVD option included please?
Pinnacle studio 9 and Ulead video studio does. With checking out Roxio Video Wave as well, which does also. Actually the latest Video Wave version has a proper timeline and and support for 6 audio tracks iirc.

Last edited by thescrounger; 03-07-2004 at 23:38.
Old 03-07-2004, 22:41   #16
home_bas
Trusted User

iMovie/iDVD...
home_bas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:39   #17
Guest 522
Banned

vegas has a full dvd authoring suite called DVD Architect 2.0 , which seems a lot better than v1 (but i haven't used it yet) it works seamlessly with it.

i don't really see the point of all these "imovie" comments.. whilst he didn't specify a platform i'm sure he would've pointed out if he wanted mac software suggestions. its just pointless padding.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:46   #18
Guest 33484
Trusted User

Does 71MB sound about right for the proper versions of VideoVegas5 and DVD Architect 2.0?
Guest 33484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 13:08   #19
AndrewC
Trusted User

Cheers for all the info

Faythur, I can't find it at that price at PC World. Have you got a link?
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 19:08   #20
Guest 1752
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC
Cheers for all the info

Faythur, I can't find it at that price at PC World. Have you got a link?
PCWorld links are session based but it's listed under ' PINNACLE DV9 WBW CAMCORDER
Product Code - 025522'

Copy and paste that in the search field to find it www.pcworld.co.uk

BTW Went to my local this afternoon hoping to pick up a copy but it scanned as £79.99! The pricing is a total joke!

Just about to order now using one of thoses unmentionable codes

Last edited by Faythur; 04-07-2004 at 19:09.
Guest 1752 is offline   Reply With Quote