Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 19-04-2012, 18:48   #41
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

After a couple of hours (and some match freezes!) I'm really warming to this. Bit of struggle to get to grips with at first. It plays more Splinter Cellish than shooter, to be honest. Figuring out what you're supposed to be doing and how your tactical equipment works while being shot at is rough going.

Spotting, targetting the enemy for your teammates is almost more important than shooting them. A coordinated flanking of positions will decimate a squad. I like the ever changing objectives and goals. It adds a nice variety and unpredictability to the matches.

Main issue I have at the moment is the iron-sighting. Holding LT zooms your weapon slightly in 3rd person view but is pretty innacurate still. You then have to press the Right Stick in to iron sight (doesn't really zoom in any further view wise) for more accurate fire. Just feels a tad clunky.

Handy guide here:- http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/emea/game...de_english.pdf

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"

Last edited by WeaselFierce; 19-04-2012 at 20:04.
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 19:48   #42
Stuee
Trusted User

Ignore

Last edited by Stuee; 19-04-2012 at 20:18.
Stuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 08:23   #43
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselFierce View Post
Nice one
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 10:16   #44
Guest 80322
Lives in a cave...

Our preview of GR:FS is up... brilliant game, if you've not already checked out the beta.

http://gaming.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/829/ghost-recon-future-soldier-preview.html
Guest 80322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 17:50   #45
reecie
Gamertag: Reecie

Managed to snag a beta key for the 360. So assuming it works I'll be giving this a whirl later on

Last edited by reecie; 20-04-2012 at 18:42.
reecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 18:18   #46
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Not sure if it's server overload or what at the moment but I've spent the majority of the last hour getting stuck in bloody infinite loading loops. When I finally managed a game I got disconnected after 10 minutes.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Old 21-04-2012, 08:55   #47
reecie

Played a couple of games last night to try and get the feel for it. My team got absolutely creamed on the Mill map as there was no coordination or comms at all. It looks to have potential but a bit of a learning curve. Seems to me the cover mechanics could do with being a bit snappier although maybe Gears is confusing me here in what I expect. I'd quite like to alter the sensitivity too. I seemed to get outflanked a lot though as the maps lend themselves to this. That is probably where a tight squad will really make a difference. The guns aren't quite the insta-death that COD has. The kill cam is pretty good. In terms of the flanking you often see from it that it wasn't the guy you were shooting at who killed you but a team mate off to the side. Which reinforces the team angle.
Old 21-04-2012, 09:26   #48
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecie View Post
Played a couple of games last night to try and get the feel for it. My team got absolutely creamed on the Mill map as there was no coordination or comms at all.
It's a bit odd there isn't a spot mechanic really. The Right shoulder bumper places a marker but it doesn't exactly convey any useful info to teammates. I had a go as Engineer last night and it's interesting that you score twice the XP for spot assists using sensor grenades or UAV drones than the people making the kills.

I'm still shocked at how many people playing this still don't get the concept and seem to be camped out at the opposite end of the map from the objective trying to get kills. It scores little for them and even less for the team.

The other thing that I'm not liking is the team spawning. Because there are so many restrcitions to prevent you (such as closeness to objective, under fire, spotted by enemy) I don't understand the reasoning as to why it splits your team into 3. It's annoying to have to spawn back at the base because your squad members are dug in taking the objective.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Old 21-04-2012, 10:28   #49
The Chad
XBL: EvilMonkey9

I've had about 10+ games on this so far and on the whole have been really enjoying it, I've not yet got frustrated with it like I do in COD. Been playing solely as an engineer and it seem to be a lethal class, with the sensor grenade lighting up any enemies at an objective and once you unlock the drone you can easily suppress the enemy when holding the objectives. I'm sure with time people will become more aware of the drones and shoot them down as it only takes a couple of hits, but ATM very few people seem aware of them and their team pays greatly because if it.

As has been mentioned already, the drones can net you a crazy amount of points, had a game last night where I clocked up 11k mainly from spotting enemies for team mates to clear out, average score of everyone else in the game was almost half that. I think it's good that actually going for objectives, rather than just kills, can net you better scores. That's one thing that COD hasn't really put an emphasis on in it's objective modes

I'm not sure I'd agree with the comment of the lack of insta-kills compared to COD, I found COD to be far more inconsistent, sometimes it would take 2-3 bullets yet the next game you can almost unload clips into people with no effect. I've found the kills in this to be pretty balanced in most games, and unlocking upgrades to improve accuracy really helps to bring the bullet count down.

Now obviously this game has its bugs and frustrations, for example there was a game last night where everyone froze for a good 30 secs and also an odd host migration in the next game, but I really do see the promise in it as a whole. One thing that does seem fairly obvious to me is that you really will need a good group of friends to get the most from this, and it would becoming very annoying very quickly when playing with randoms all the time
Old 21-04-2012, 10:56   #50
RichB
XBL Gamertag: FiniteRich

At one point last night after 3 hours total spent on the beta i had a kill/death ratio of .92, which for me is frankly amazing. Therefore I will claim this game is much better than COD
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 10:58   #51
reecie

Having watched a bit more video I'm going to have a play with gunsmith as on the firing range you can also practice the movement system.

Like you said the playing with randoms will make or break it. COD is probably the best example of a jump in and play game for randoms. It also has a far easier to kill set up which is what I meant by by earlier comment. Things like BF3 and now this you will struggle without decent teamwork. Gears sits more in the middle though again a decent team will destroy you in most cases.
Old 21-04-2012, 11:04   #52
RichB
XBL Gamertag: FiniteRich

For those playing who wanna mess with the camera sensitivity (its a bit loose for me) you can access these setting while in a game only, pause and press rb a couple of times to move to settings and there it is.
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 16:45   #53
The Chad
XBL: EvilMonkey9

Quote:
Like you said the playing with randoms will make or break it. COD is probably the best example of a jump in and play game for randoms. It also has a far easier to kill set up which is what I meant by by earlier comment. Things like BF3 and now this you will struggle without decent teamwork. Gears sits more in the middle though again a decent team will destroy you in most cases.
Ah yeah I see what you mean in that respect, and as you say COD is very easy to just pick up and play with randoms which is probably why I play it more than games like BF3, even though I prefer BF3, but very few of my friends list play it so COD is just the default
Old 21-04-2012, 19:27   #54
reecie

Tried to play this afternoon and it could not connect to the Ubi servers and you can do naff all then not even gunsmith
Old 21-04-2012, 20:02   #55
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Tried to play this afternoon and it could not connect to the Ubi servers and you can do naff all then not even gunsmith
Think they keep resetting them. Sometimes dropping back out of the menus and back again will reconnect.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Old 21-04-2012, 20:43   #56
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

The Ubisoft servers are the biggest worry for me with the game - Look at what happens with EA and Battlefield, there servers cant take the launch week load and its takes 2/3 weeks for the game to be playable online. Ubisoft are a smaller company and Ghost recon is a smaller release so cant see the servers handling all that pressure. Also what happens in a years time when Ubisoft decides to turn off the servers will it be like EA games where you are screwed and cant play online?
Old 22-04-2012, 07:44   #57
reecie

I had a play with Gunsmith last night and it really is very good. Lets you get a much better idea of how the guns play out at various distances and aim types. I've swapped around some of my starter guns on this basis. Hopefully I've got a much better idea of the movement mechanics too now. If you use the aim circle from cover then snap out into aim you can really quickly pop shots off on target.
Old 22-04-2012, 11:01   #58
anephric
Kidney Thief

I haven't managed to get a single game of this yet - chucked me out constantly yesterday and today. Given up, deleted!
Old 24-04-2012, 13:26   #59
Guest 80322
Lives in a cave...

Hey guys,

Anyone who has not managed to grab beta keys for this yet can win them fairly easily on the site:

http://gaming.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/836/ghost-recon-future-soldier-beta-key-competition.html

It's pretty good, but yeh the servers are failing a little at the moment... apparently 'they are working on it'...
Guest 80322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 06:29   #60
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Reviews are out. Looking good: -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...soldier-review

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/2...soldier-review

And 79/100 Metacritic score so far.

Can't wait, although I've pre-ordered from Zavvi so I might have to.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote