Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 13-07-2005, 09:39   #61
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
McLintock was the big man's favourite film of his, wasn't it? (Although that might fairly be ascribed to nepotism i.e. the role of "producer".) I remember buying that and The Searchers for my dad one birthday (alleged big JW fan that he is) and he just sort of shuffled them off to his video shelf and never watched them.

He later admitted to hating both of them. Oh well.
Something not dissimilar happened to me when my (former) sister-in-law bought me an LP of 'Rugby Songs' one birthday which I happily used in an experiment to see how far and how well LPs could fly. I hated my sister-in-law. The feeling was, apparently, mutual.

BTW, Wayne's fondness for Mclintock! probably has to do with the fact that it was, as you say, a real family affair, that he was working with O'Hara again, and that the story of the cattle barons - or rather the legend - was close to his reactionary heart bless him.

Last edited by John Hodson; 13-07-2005 at 09:49.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 10:30   #62
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

The Shootist is on BB1 11:30pm tonight. Is it worth catching ?
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 10:36   #63
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
It most certainly is, and it's improving with age; if you're a real Wayne fan make sure you catch the pre-credit sequence. It makes me want to stand up and cheer...
Old 14-07-2005, 05:21   #64
Guest 45586
Trusted User

My hefty biog of Wayne by Randy Roberts and James Olson (which I bought in Moab years ago) claims that McLintock! is based on The Taming of the Shrew and that it would indeed seem that O'Hara was the principal reason why Wayne loved the movie so much: he adored her as well, in a Hawksian way of course. Plus the fact that the movie made Batjac millions after the disaster of the Alamo. Roberts and Olson also claim that Ford directed some segs when McLaglen fell ill.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 05:30   #65
SIMON ADEBISI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
Nice one.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 11:11   #66
Guest 45586
Trusted User

It is a nice one and an almost too painful study of a man (Duke) coping with real and fictional cancer and a woman (Bacall) coping with a man (Bogart) with real and fictional cancer. Is there another terminal western?
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 12:55   #67
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster
It is a nice one and an almost too painful study of a man (Duke) coping with real and fictional cancer and a woman (Bacall) coping with a man (Bogart) with real and fictional cancer.
Bogie was long dead by then, of course, but I know what you mean; must have dredged up some awful memories. As for The Duke, you can only stand back and admire his courage - is it his best performance? If it isn't, it's damn close, and what a valedictory. I must - I really must - buy a decent John Wayne biog., but I haven't yet seen one that's considered definitive - recommedations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster
Is there another terminal western?
Tom Horn..? Didn't Harry Carey - the 'Bright Star Of The Early Western Sky' - already have lung cancer when he made Red River?

Last edited by John Hodson; 14-07-2005 at 12:56.
Old 14-07-2005, 13:41   #68
anephric
Kidney Thief

I'm still amazed that the studios would let these projects go ahead with stars suffering from terminal diseases - or were insurance, completion bonds and such not an issue then?
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 13:57   #69
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

In the case of McQueen, he wasn't diagnosed at the time of Tom Horn, but it was considered after the fact that the cancer had taken a grip. In Harry Carey's case, despite having been a bigger grossing star in his silent days than Chaplin, he was just an ailing character actor in what was, after all, a minor role; I don't know how far out Carey would have known he was dying, but no doubt he would simply, like Wayne (whose illness meant shooting schedules had to be altered to accomodate him on The Shootist) have shrugged his shoulders and got on with it.

Wayne copied his drawl from his hero Carey; ironic isn't it that they both fell to the Big 'C'.

Last edited by John Hodson; 14-07-2005 at 14:02.
Old 14-07-2005, 14:06   #70
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

There's a great quote from Wayne about his cancer which I included in my review of "the Shootist" - haven't got a link to hand at present.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 14:10   #71
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

"Finding out about cancer was like somebody hit me across the belly with a baseball bat... It's the helplessness. I couldn't see myself lying on a bed, not being able to do anything for myself, no damn good to anybody. I felt like a jerk!" - Mike's review of The Shootist.

Last edited by John Hodson; 14-07-2005 at 14:11.
Old 14-07-2005, 14:26   #72
anephric
Kidney Thief

Yes, but in the case of Wayne his illness was well known - surely getting insurance for the star of a film with cancer would've been a nightmare?
Old 14-07-2005, 14:29   #73
camino_real
Trusted User

Did anyone see the Lauren Bacall interview beforehand in which she mentioned her attraction to Wayne even though he was "to the right of Atilla the Hun"?
camino_real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 14:32   #74
anephric
Kidney Thief

Surely Genghis Khan would've been a more fitting reference.
Old 14-07-2005, 14:34   #75
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Wayne's final illness hadn't been diagnosed by the time shooting started, and only became serious by the time the film opened. My guess is the only guy that knew Wayne was dying when his signed up for The Shootist was Wayne himself. No grit? Not much...

Last edited by John Hodson; 14-07-2005 at 16:39.
Old 14-07-2005, 14:45   #76
anephric
Kidney Thief

I had thought Wayne was ill throughout the shoot and that it affected the production. Is that not the case?
Old 14-07-2005, 15:10   #77
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
I had thought Wayne was ill throughout the shoot and that it affected the production. Is that not the case?
Yes, almost throughout, but you're talking about getting insurance for a star who has already been diagnosed before production started, n'est pas? I'm saying he wasn't, so it didn't really come into the equation here. It wasn't a big budget film in any case (Wayne's salary was probably the biggest lump); imagine trying to get Chris Lee insured for filming these days for some 'Star Wars' or 'Rings' movie (though they'd just digitise him back to life like Ollie Reed wouldn't they...quite a goulish thought)

Last edited by John Hodson; 14-07-2005 at 15:15.
Old 14-07-2005, 15:23   #78
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
imagine trying to get Chris Lee insured for filming these days for some 'Star Wars' or 'Rings' movie (though they'd just digitise him back to life like Ollie Reed wouldn't they...quite a goulish thought)
True, true... but Lee isn't "ill" per se and, besides, everytime he moves more than an inch-and-a-half in Star Wars Lucas digitally whacks his head onto a double.

I was just curious. You read accounts of actors being precluded from all sorts of barely dangerous activities for insurance purposes in modern films and I simply couldn't imagine a production managing to get insurance for a lead actor who was seriously ill.

Last edited by anephric; 14-07-2005 at 15:23.
Old 14-07-2005, 15:25   #79
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

DVD Beaver has put up a review of Circus World, a Henry Hathaway directed Wayne movie and one of the MIA Samual Bronston epics. Japanese DVD = very expensive...

BTW this film, under the UK title of The Magnficent Showman is part of Universal's mega (and mega disappointing) John Wayne box set, but in pan and scan - look at those screen caps and imagine the horror...

Last edited by John Hodson; 14-07-2005 at 15:38.
Old 14-07-2005, 15:29   #80
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
You read accounts of actors being precluded from all sorts of barely dangerous activities for insurance purposes in modern films and I simply couldn't imagine a production managing to get insurance for a lead actor who was seriously ill.
Just a few months after surgery to remove a cancerous lung, Wayne started filming The Sons of Katie Elder and insisted on being seen to throw himself around the set, performing some of his own stunts saying that he didn't want to public to see him as 'some kind of invalid'. They had to see that he was doing it; he was still 'John Wayne'.

Last edited by John Hodson; 14-07-2005 at 15:30.