Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 16-05-2005, 18:06   #41
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Excellent news Osc; heres hoping The Music And World Of Dimitri Tiomkin and The John Wayne Stock Company: Harry Carey Jr. are decent docos and not just 'filler'.

Confirmation that Island in The Sky will be a single disc on this page at Amazon.

Should work out quite cheap buys, especially considering the content looks excellent.

Last edited by John Hodson; 17-05-2005 at 10:23.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 12:34   #42
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Island in The Sky - $13.95 CAD from DVD Import, The High and The Mighty, $16.95 from the same company.

Has anybody actually ordered and received the 'Legendary Heroes' box from DVD Soon. Mine appears to be stuck 'on order'...
Old 27-05-2005, 15:26   #43
Guest 50423
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Has anybody actually ordered and received the 'Legendary Heroes' box from DVD Soon. Mine appears to be stuck 'on order'...
Mine is 'in transit'
Guest 50423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 16:50   #44
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I've got "McQ" which I ordered on its own.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 17:32   #45
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I've got "McQ" which I ordered on its own.
You reviewing it Mike? (And bear in mind that 'no' is not an option... )
Old 27-05-2005, 18:34   #46
Guest 50325
Trusted User

Quote:
Mine is "in transit" for a week now.
Guest 50325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 19:49   #47
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I will be reviewing McQ during the next week or so, time allowing. Looks pretty nice from a quick viewing.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 20:07   #48
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Huzzah!
Old 01-06-2005, 18:00   #49
Guest 50325
Trusted User

Quote:
I have just received the following answer from dvdsoon regarding the "Legendary Heroes Box":

Quote:
Dear Sir

I have investigated this product and unfortunately there is an inventory
error in our secondary warehouse. I have confirmed with the movies
department that the item was ordered with the studio at the time you did
place your order. Our development department has reviewed and correct
the error on our site.

For now, we have not received any further information from the studio
regarding this title and assure you that we are continuously requesting
further information. Once we have more information we will definitely
contact you once again.

In the mean time, if you do find the delays too long, you may cancel
your order if you wish to do so . You can cancel your order at your
leisure by logging in to your account and opening the order located
under the pending tab. Once there you will be presented with your order
details. At the end of the details you will locate a red cancellation
button. Simply click on this button to cancel the order and issue a
credit to your DVDSoon account. Once again I apologize for the
inconvenience.

------------------------------
Jacqueline Nelson
Customer Service Center
Centre De Service ą la Clientčle
DVDSoon.com
Guest 50325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 21:28   #50
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Thanks Frank
Old 12-06-2005, 19:07   #51
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Item of minor interest no 6027: Paramount appears to have changed the artwork of their R2 John Wayne DVDs to match their upcoming R1 SEs. Compare and contrast:

R2 True Grit

R1 Island in The Sky

I would imagine they'll reissue the R1s with the new artwork at some point. BTW, Play.com is carrying the new R2 of In Harm's Way with the new design cover - and it's only £6.99. Nice.

Last edited by John Hodson; 12-06-2005 at 20:03.
Old 12-06-2005, 20:13   #52
Guest 13065
Trusted User

great stuff John
Guest 13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 18:05   #53
Guest 33312
Trusted User

Any decent extras on the upcoming Wayne special editions?
Guest 33312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 18:11   #54
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bes
Any decent extras on the upcoming Wayne special editions?
Island in The Sky SE
The High and The Mighty SE

...and posted on the previous page by Oscar. In other words 'yes'

And at DVD Soon:

Island in The Sky SE - $11.62
The High and The Mighty 2-disc SE - $15.54

Last edited by John Hodson; 14-06-2005 at 18:20.
Old 15-06-2005, 09:36   #55
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

In Harm's Way arrived today, very nice transfer (mmm - b&w 'scope) of this wartime blockbuster; looks like the whole of Hollywood - past and contemporary - was on casting call doesn't it?

It's a replica of the extant R1 (except for the new cover art), three trailers, plus a contemporary eight minute featurette, interesting because it contains screen tests for some of the female talent on display - and my, do they shake their stuff for the camera! - plus some great nice footage of Otto 'Mr Freeze' Preminger himself.

BTW, slip the disc in and it goes straight to the film and those Saul Bass titles, not the menu, a la the early days of disc authoring.

Oh, and laterally thinking, if anyone's on a Premiger (or Tom Tryon) kick right now, you should be aware that Warners has reissued their excellent 2-disc SE of The Cardinal as a one disc. I don't know if the SE is being discontinued, but if you ever fancied it, I suggest now is the time...
Old 25-06-2005, 17:51   #56
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The Wake of The Red Witch

My 'lLegendary' box set has shipped at last; should be here some time next week. Huzzah!

I've just watched The Wake of The Red Witch, available in R1 from Artisan/Lion's Gate. I won't bore you with a full review of this excellent 1948 Republic film, save to say that although it's not sourced from original elements (which are held by Paramount to whom the home video rights revert this year), it is, for the most part, quite a wonderful looking transfer - clean, sharp, very detailed and nice whites, blacks and greys right across the scale. The only minus points are the fact that the reel change markers haven't been removed, and the sound is only adequate; but still, that picture...

Wayne is superb in a tale of drama and duplicity set on the high seas; it's a movie quite famous in the JW canon for two reasons. Firstly, the trading company featured in the narrative - Batjac - was the chosen name of the production company the Duke himself established. And secondly the giant rubber octopus Wayne tussles with was, according to IMDB, ' later stolen by Edward D. Wood Jr.'s crew and used in Bride of the Monster (1955). They forgot to steal the motor that ran the tentacles though, so Bela Lugosi was forced to wrap the tentacles around him while he "fought" the beast.' Ah, the magic of Hollywood.

There's a cornball ending (with a ghostly clipper heading into the sunset), but you've got Wayne, Gail Russell, Paul Fix, Gig Young (as endearingly wooden as the set), plus the brilliant Luther Adler and the ever-reliable Henry Daniell; one of my guiding lights over the years has been that if a movie features Henry Daniell, you can't go too far wrong. Good companion piece to the beautiful Reap The Wild Wind.
Old 30-06-2005, 12:28   #57
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Isn't life strange? Twenty-odd years ago, one of the things that turned me off McQ was Wayne bedding Colleen Dewhurst (I had visions of teeth in a glass and a neatly trimmed syrup on the bedside table *shudder*)

Watching it last night, not only did both of them look a damn sight younger than I remember (Dewhurst, at 50, looks slightly older than Wayne, who incredibly, was 67), but I caught myself thinking that Colleen was a fine looking filly. Another *shudder*. As Richard Farnsworth once said 'there's nothin' good about gettin' old...'

Thoroughly enjoyed it, though some of the dialogue, especially the attempts at hip '70s streetwise jive (man), still made uncomfortable listening. Great Elmer Bernstein score BTW, and another great job by Warners.

Not much in the way of extras; the period featurette was in good nick, and was surprisingly decent, but included in the 'Trailer Gallery' was one for Fort Apache, a film which I, for one, can't wait for those little teasers at Warners to work their magic on.

Last edited by John Hodson; 30-06-2005 at 12:30.
Old 30-06-2005, 19:28   #58
Guest 33312
Trusted User

Quote:
Isn't life strange? Twenty-odd years ago, one of the things that turned me off McQ was Wayne bedding Colleen Dewhurst (I had visions of teeth in a glass and a neatly trimmed syrup on the bedside table *shudder*)

Watching it last night, not only did both of them look a damn sight younger than I remember (Dewhurst, at 50, looks slightly older than Wayne, who incredibly, was 67), but I caught myself thinking that Colleen was a fine looking filly. Another *shudder*. As Richard Farnsworth once said 'there's nothin' good about gettin' old...'

Thoroughly enjoyed it, though some of the dialogue, especially the attempts at hip '70s streetwise jive (man), still made uncomfortable listening. Great Elmer Bernstein score BTW, and another great job by Warners.

Not much in the way of extras; the period featurette was in good nick, and was surprisingly decent, but included in the 'Trailer Gallery' was one for Fort Apache, a film which I, for one, can't wait for those little teasers at Warners to work their magic on.
Although John Sturges is most widely reknowned for The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape[& Gunfight at the OK Corral], I have to admit my favourites of his are The Law and Jake Wade and McQ, which I found surprisingly entertaining when I viewed it a few years back. Will certainly pick it up on dvd.
Guest 33312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 09:11   #59
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

DVD has made me look again at Sturges bes - seeing some of films for the first time in OAR is a revelation - Bad Day at Black Rock in particular. BTW, count me in as a fan (obviously) of McQ, and good to see a mention of The Law and Jake Wade, although the Robert Taylor film I really want to see on DVD (one of many of Taylor's MIA) is Richard Brooks' The Last Hunt.

As reported in the 'Upcoming' thread, two more from Paramount's deal with Batjac in October, Hondo and Mclintock, both previously available on DVD but only as nasty PD versions, I'm expecting these to be chock full of extras and looking great...
Old 13-07-2005, 09:31   #60
anephric
Kidney Thief

McLintock was the big man's favourite film of his, wasn't it? (Although that might fairly be ascribed to nepotism i.e. the role of "producer".) I remember buying that and The Searchers for my dad one birthday (alleged big JW fan that he is) and he just sort of shuffled them off to his video shelf and never watched them.

He later admitted to hating both of them. Oh well.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote