Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 24-04-2005, 20:22   #1
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The Legendary John Wayne Thread: Centenary Releases in R1 & R2

With Warners about to release The John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection, I thought it might be an idea to start a thread, not only to discuss the set, but also one of the greatest icons of cinema, in fact, all things appertaining to the 'Duke'.

First things first...

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection for 3rd May 2005. Featuring five classic films from the larger-than-life American hero including Blood Alley, McQ, The Sea Chase, Tall in the Saddle and The Train Robbers, all will be available on DVD for the first time. The films will be available individually for $14.97 SRP while the boxed set will sell for $49.92 SRP.

Details of The John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection Films

Blood Alley (1955) – An American seafarer patrolling the South Seas is asked by the daughter of a missionary doctor killed by the Communists to help transport the citizens of a small Chinese town to freedom in Hong Kong. This action-adventure based on A. S. Fleischman’s novel, marks the first on-screen pairing of movie legends John Wayne and Lauren Bacall.

DVD special features include:
Newsreel footage
The Hollywood Foreign Press Honors John Wayne
Crusade for Freedom
John Wayne and The Legion Poppy Sale (silent clip)
Air Force Honors the Cast of Blood Alley
1955 Promos on Blood Alley – Wayne discusses how he made it into the movies; "the monster” of movie land; the Mitchell BNC camera and his use of his home movie camera to capture scenes while on Blood Alley
John Wayne trailer gallery

McQ (1974) – John Wayne forcefully enforces the law in this high-velocity thriller that’s a revenge western set in the big city. Police Lieutenant Lon McQ (Wayne) investigates the killing of his best friend and uncovers corrupt elements of the police department dealing in confiscated drugs. Directed by John Sturges (Ice Station Zebra, The Magnificent Seven), McQ also stars Eddie Albert (Roman Holiday) and Colleen Dewhurst (Annie Hall, Dying Young).

Featurette

The Sea Chase (1955) –John Wayne and Lana Turner are a formidable romantic team in this harrowing adventure directed by Academy Award-nominee John Farrow (Wake Island). Sea captain Kal Erhlich (Wayne) is an anti-Nazi German freighter captain at the outset of World War II attempting to sail his ship from Australia to the North Sea rather than risk internment. Both Allied and German ships follow in pursuit, while Erhlich battles storms, sharks, and romances.

Tall in the Saddle (1944) – In this fast-paced entertaining western, John Wayne stars as Rocklin, a cowboy who upon arriving at a ranch to work as a cowhand finds his employer was just murdered. Although he has no friends, and no money, Rocklin stays in town, intent on tracking the killers and uncovering a plan to inherit the dead employer’s riches.

The Train Robbers (1973) – The action never stops in this western starring John Wayne, Ann-Margret and Ricardo Montalban. A gunhand named Lane (Wayne) is hired by a widow, Mrs. Lowe (Ann-Margret), to find gold stolen by her husband so that she may return it and start fresh. However, once they cross the border into Mexico to recover the loot, they discover two very different pursuers: a large group of bandidos and a lone horseman (Montalban), both of whom know their every move.

Two featurettes:
Working with a Western Legend – an inside look at Wayne with stuntmen Jerry Gatlin, Dean Smith and Terry Leonard
The Wayne Train

Box art at DVD Times here and Herb Kane's review of The Sea Chase is here.

The set is currently up for pre-order at $40.46 CAD at DVD Import here, and $49.98 CAD at DVD Soon here.

Last edited by John Hodson; 21-03-2007 at 15:46.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 06:41   #2
SIMON ADEBISI

Watched Tie A Yellow Ribbon yesterday. Can't remember what channel but i really enjoyed it. Years since i'd seen it.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 12:16   #3
GK
43rd Longest Serving

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI
Watched Tie A Yellow Ribbon yesterday. Can't remember what channel but i really enjoyed it. Years since i'd seen it.
"Three long years" by any chance ?
GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 13:10   #4
Guest 29329
Trusted User

Good man John - a thread for this has been lacking...

Y'know, the only Duke film I've ever seen is The Searchers, so looking to expand. That set looks really good, but I think Stagecoach is next on my list. Wondering which version is best to get - the French collector's version looks nice (even though it has an anti-anephric 5.1 remastered soundtrack), but scratching my head a bit...
Guest 29329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 13:19   #5
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

"McQ" is an entertaining cop thriller and rather more interesting than is usually acknowledged. The message, which is meant to be the usual right-wing hysterics, is constantly subverted by the storyline and the climax is astonishingly - and I imagine inadvertantly - nihilistic.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 13:45   #6
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by willncc
the French collector's version looks nice (even though it has an anti-anephric 5.1 remastered soundtrack), but scratching my head a bit...
Stagecoach? In 5.1? Myeeeuch.

I defer my opinion to the above Mr. Sutton, who can rail against the pointless "surroundism" of mono tracks far more ably than I can...

Last edited by anephric; 26-04-2005 at 13:46.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 13:53   #7
Pentasa
Originally joined Mar '01

"Hondo" is on Channel 5 I think this Friday lunch time tho I doubt they'll be screening it in its original 3-d, plus its got Ward Bond and Paul Fix in it, thereby making it a "must see" Western

Last edited by Pentasa; 26-04-2005 at 13:54.
Pentasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 16:29   #8
Guest 925
Xbox Tag: mondoben

A heads up that the truely essential Johns box set (Wayne + Ford) is available at Amazon for a smidge under 30 quid - For six of their best! Including the cavalry trilogy and stagecoach:

John Wayne and Ford Set
Guest 925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 19:18   #9
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by willncc
Good man John - a thread for this has been lacking...

Y'know, the only Duke film I've ever seen is The Searchers, so looking to expand. That set looks really good, but I think Stagecoach is next on my list. Wondering which version is best to get - the French collector's version looks nice (even though it has an anti-anephric 5.1 remastered soundtrack), but scratching my head a bit...
I believe that Warners are releasing a 2 disc set of ultra restored The Searchers next year and hopefully, along with that, a better R1 (or any region) version of Stagecoach.

Hey John, noticed your comment on DVD times about Paramount releasing some Wayne SE's. I ask because I've done a list of DVD's for my trip to NY soon and on the list is the John Wayne DVD Gift Set from Paramount. Seems rather pointless to buy it if they are going to be re-released again

Last edited by Tony Soprano; 26-04-2005 at 19:24.
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 20:25   #10
Guest 45586
Trusted User

[QUOTE=John Hodson]Featuring five classic films from the larger-than-life American hero including Blood Alley, McQ, The Sea Chase, Tall in the Saddle and The Train Robbers . . .

Surely, John, these aren't "classics," just old movies. Rio Bravo is a classic, The Searchers is a classic.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 20:37   #11
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

John was quoting the press release not making any value judgements.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 08:03   #12
Guest 29329
Trusted User

[QUOTE=BenH]A heads up that the truely essential Johns box set (Wayne + Ford) is available at Amazon for a smidge under 30 quid - For six of their best! Including the cavalry trilogy and stagecoach [/QUOTE=BenH]

Nice one Ben. Can anyone comment on the quality of transfers on these?

EDIT - Ballsed up the quote...

Last edited by willncc; 27-04-2005 at 08:04.
Old 27-04-2005, 08:08   #13
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I've no time right now; but my very strong advice is not to buy this set - I'll be back with a fuller explanation why probably tomorrow.
Old 27-04-2005, 08:27   #14
Guest 29329
Trusted User

Ta

Intrigued as to your explanantion tomorrow, now though
Old 27-04-2005, 12:05   #15
Snuffy
Shirker not lurker

Hello all Duke fans. Has anyone purchased the Wayne / Ford boxset on special at amazon. Contains cavalry trilogy, stagecoach and the excellent Long Voyage home.?

Any opinions on transfer quality etc.
Try to keep an open mind. Try to understand the viewpoint of others. Consider the minority opinion, but try to get along with the majority opinion once it's accepted. Course Holly and I've had fun, even if it has been rushed, and... so far we're doing fine. hadn't got caught. Excuse the grammar.
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 12:12   #16
Guest 925
Xbox Tag: mondoben

I'm intrigued as to way John reckons this set is a no-no.....I was about to put in an order myself as it seems like a bargain to me....Mr Hodson, you about?
Guest 925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 12:43   #17
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Sorry, work is hell right now, so I'll be brief;

From Mike's review of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon:

"The picture is presented in the original 4:3 aspect ratio. That's the best thing I can say about it really. The colours are generally reasonably good, but what spoils the presentation is the constant grainy texturing to the image and, worse, the artifacting which appears throughout. This is very distracting, especially when you consider how glorious the picture could be in a properly cleaned up print. It's not really much of an improvement on VHS. "

From what I've read Stagecoach, Rio Grande and Fort Apache are similarly time worn and have undergone no kind of restoration. The Quiet Man, which should be one of Ford's most beautiful films, is quite simply God awful.

Warners R1 and Kinowelt's German R2 of SWAYR are both transfers from Robert Gitt's UCLA stunning restoration and are things of beauty. Even better, the R1 has a very nice if short 'home movie' extra, while the Kinowelt has that outrageous hour long BBC interview with Ford which is not to be missed.

Warners are restoring both Stagecoach and The Searchers for what promises to be a lip-smacking Ford-Wayne boxset next year (they must include Fort Apache which isn't even out on DVD in R1). Artisan's R1 of Rio Grande is a very good presentation if a little contrasty, but has some super extras and is worth getting. The extras are the bext thing that can be said about their disc of The Quiet Man which is as bad as the R2. The good news is that both films have fallen back into Paramount's hands, as is all the Republic library; Robert Gitt has restored TQM and RG is on the slate for the treatment IIRC.

The only good thing I can say about these Universal presentations is that they've made The Long Voyage Home available at last. It may or may not appear in Warners R1 box, but the likliehood is that it will - like other films in the set - be released as a stand alone disc in R2.

For an over view of the whole Wayne box see here. This is Universal guys; Reap the Wild Wind is an exception, but generally they couldn't organise a clambake in a corral...
Old 27-04-2005, 16:30   #18
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

Good News John! But was wondering if you could answer my question (if you get time) about the Paramount SE's. Is it just TQM and RG that are going to be re-released because I am hoping to buy this John Wayne DVD Gift Set in NY and if they are going to re-released I don't see the point in buying the set. Chz!
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 17:11   #19
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Buy that with confidence; I don't see Paramount having another crack at that anytime soon - excellent set BTW, very good transfers (and that's the key isn't it?), paltry extras, but top notch films. BTW, have a good scout round R2 suppliers - managed to get this set (minus the wonderful The Shootist) for £16 from HMV a couple of years ago.

Paramount is, however, planning something very special for JW fans, and if you don't know already, I'll post more details as soon as I'm not chasing my tail...

Last edited by John Hodson; 27-04-2005 at 17:28.
Old 28-04-2005, 08:38   #20
Snuffy
Shirker not lurker

Thanks John, here's hoping for a thigh slapping set from Warners. 100% confident that they won't disappoint.
Try to keep an open mind. Try to understand the viewpoint of others. Consider the minority opinion, but try to get along with the majority opinion once it's accepted. Course Holly and I've had fun, even if it has been rushed, and... so far we're doing fine. hadn't got caught. Excuse the grammar.
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote