Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 09-01-2008, 22:44   #21
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Got a letter from Sainsburys this morning saying they love chickens and wouldn't dream of mass farming them!
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 22:56   #22
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

Anyone know if McDonalds and KFC use free range?

I can ask the wife to buy FR at the supermarket but no way am I giving up nuggets or my bargain buckets
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 23:09   #23
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ono View Post
I'd love to be proved wrong, but you've got to be kidding!

Personally, I've bought free range eggs for years now, and I'll certainly be buying free range meat from now on.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:12   #24
Guest 23713
Trusted User

What the final result of this, what percentage of chickens sold were free range? My Sky+ recording ended just as HFW stood up to give the news.

I think if anyone claims they cant afford free range chicken then they shouldnt buy chicken at all. If you buy standard chicken or battery eggs then you support animal cruelty.
Guest 23713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:27   #25
mklion123
Xbox Live : xXxTOURETTES

Quote:
Originally Posted by still average joe View Post
What the final result of this, what percentage of chickens sold were free range? My Sky+ recording ended just as HFW stood up to give the news.

I think if anyone claims they cant afford free range chicken then they shouldnt buy chicken at all. If you buy standard chicken or battery eggs then you support animal cruelty.
60% bought free range.
but where do you draw the line? pretty soon all you'll only be allowed to eat are some lentil's or pulses (unless lentils have feelings), because someone will moan about anything.
I shall stick to my standard large £5 chicken, and despite all these programs I will still enjoy it, because it's food not a bloody pet, that is the difference people need to make.

Last edited by mklion123; 10-01-2008 at 01:30.
mklion123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:55   #26
the_edge30
Give me all your lootz

I refuse to buy Chicken that is not free-range, yes its foodstock, but I still like to know that the food I eat has been treated humainly before slaughter.

You have to remember that the chickens you buy for cheap in a shop are kept in horrific conditions, walking (well not much of this takes palce), sitting, eating in there own excrement for 39 days.

A free-range bird has a good life untill its death and for starters tastes miles better and in all honesty is not really that much expensive, really, cheap chicken is nasty food and I would rather do without than eat it.

I get by on a modest wage, I dont earn mega bucks at all, when I fancy some chicken, I buy free range and make a lovely meal at out it. Meat, esp chicken imo is a luxury item to me (and so I pay a premium), some people have absolutely no respect for the food they buy at all.

People who cant see this for what it is, animal abuse (whether its a pet or not is completely irrelavent) disgust me, but no where near as much as the Supermarkets who have pushed this way of farming because "its what the consumer demands", utter rubbish imo, how much ******* chicken do you really need to eat in a week?

Last edited by the_edge30; 10-01-2008 at 03:57.
the_edge30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:39   #27
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

The funniest bit about last night show was all the people in the pub saying that it wasn't going to work and that they couldn't afford it yet were happy drinking/smoking etc their money away at £2.50+ a pint no doubt .

I fully support what Hugh is trying to do and will definately change my eating habbits. Anyone know whether chicken nuggets can be bought free range though?

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:33   #28
Guest 34481
New Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyJake View Post
That single mum that kept going on about what she can and can't afford didn't look like she was going short of nourishment. Looked like she was getting through 3 chickens a day herself.
I agree with your sentiment and found that woman frustrating, especially when she professed that she'd never buy a standard chicken again, only to be seen trundling along the aisles of Tesco with a cheap chicken in her trolley!

However, I believe it is much cheaper to be fat these days. I am not on the breadline, and can afford to buy good quality food. However, I wince when I look at the price of even 'Smartprice' fruit in comparison with a packet of cheap biscuits!

I don't eat meat, but do not have any problem with people who do. However, I do have a problem with people who have the attitude of another woman who was speaking on yesterday's programme: "some people choose not to think about where their chicken has come from". I don't think ignorance should ever be an excuse for buying decisions of any kind. If you can justify why you decide to buy a standard chicken, then I am prepared to listen. However, I have no time for people who refuse to argue their case and choose, instead, to simply state 'this is the way I am, and that is that' without further discussion!
Guest 34481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:50   #29
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

What about those out there who simply don't care about the chickens? Are you prepared to disagree with their sentiment but let them carry on buying cheap-chicken without complaining?
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:41   #30
Guest 34481
New Girl

Yes, I would disagree with their sentiment and argue in favour of free range chicken. I don't think it is a case of 'letting' anyone do anything, everyone has their own choice and some will carry on with that choice regardless.

However, I do believe that it is possible to slowly move the market towards free range produce. Leaving the people who 'just don't care' aside, by persuading those who do care to buy free range, the price of free range produce will come down as supermarkets compete with each other. This will normalise free-range instead of it being a 'premium' product.
Guest 34481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:56   #31
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:

I can ask the wife to buy FR at the supermarket but no way am I giving up nuggets or my bargain buckets
McDonalds have strict animal welfare standands and use top quallity grain are the only nuggets of info on their chickens that you can find on their website.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/default.aspx?s=global&p=home
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:16   #32
cervaro
Still here, for now!

We switched to Free Range/Organic for most things, including meat over a year ago. The taste difference is what convinced me it was a good move as much as anything else. People like the single mum in the programme delude themselves the switch is uneconomic, but I bet she doesn't mind paying out for fags and drink, etc. each week so cheap chicken is seen as her only alternative.

To my mind, even if you aren't convinced by the animal welfare angle, you should be thinking about what you're eating, and cheap chicken tastes bad compared to organic or free range. That should be a good argument for changing your eating habits if nothing else, ahead of buying cigarettes, drink, etc.
cervaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:46   #33
chillster76
Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklion123 View Post
60% bought free range.
but where do you draw the line? pretty soon all you'll only be allowed to eat are some lentil's or pulses (unless lentils have feelings), because someone will moan about anything.
I shall stick to my standard large £5 chicken, and despite all these programs I will still enjoy it, because it's food not a bloody pet, that is the difference people need to make.
People aren't complaining for the sake of it you know. The are complaining because they don't like animal cruelty. It upsets people that in order for you to have your luxury item so cheap (and eating meat isn't a *right*, it is a privilege) an animal has to endure a substantial amount of pain. It may be just a dead animal by the time it reaches a plate, but up until the point it is killed, it is an actual living animal. It is not food on legs. It is an animal.

This thread has genuinely surprised me, I thought people were still eating battery chickens out of ignorance, but it turns out people really are just extraordinarily selfish and uncaring.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:56   #34
Woz
Viva indifference

I've only seen the first episode so far, so I don't know if this is covered but surely with the higher price of free range, the farmers should be able to have a slightly higher margin per bird and make the same if not a little more profit despite the lower yields.
I can't see the farmers enjoying the whole process, and the consumers generally are appalled when they find out about the methods used, so realistically the blame for this must sit squarely with the supermarkets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedge
I fully support what Hugh is trying to do and will definately change my eating habbits. Anyone know whether chicken nuggets can be bought free range though?
Make your own!
Seriously: I found a recipe for chicken meat balls from a cook book that my family absolutely love* and I'm sure nuggets would only be slightly different (less herbs and other gubbins, more breadcrumbs!)

*slightly embarassingly it's from "The Baby and Toddler Cookbook" by Annabel Karmel! It's not the only recipe we regularly use from that book...we no longer have any babies or toddlers in the house
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:05   #35
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillster76 View Post
This thread has genuinely surprised me, I thought people were still eating battery chickens out of ignorance, but it turns out people really are just extraordinarily selfish and uncaring.
I think you'll find that it's that kind of thinking that is prevelent in all parts or days society unfortunately.

It would be a completely different story should people have to keep and kill their own animals.

A lot of people like to live in ignorance and total hypocrisy of their current lifestyle. No doubt half the people eating cheap chicken get up in arms about fox hunting, or cruelty to fluffy wuffy animals. It's sad imho.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:06   #36
ben.bayliss
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyJake View Post
It must cost more than 3p to feed a chicken for 39 days
Exactly. The birds are probably bought by weight(?), so 3p per 100g sounds a bit more realistic. Bird of a couple of kilos would end up costing 60p or so. Then factor in the preparation, packaging, distribution and we reach a much more believable figure.
ben.bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:20   #37
Guest 13908
ermmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
I can't see the farmers enjoying the whole process, and the consumers generally are appalled when they find out about the methods used, so realistically the blame for this must sit squarely with the supermarkets.
I'd have to disagree with this. Rightly or wrongly the only way supermarkets will change is through legislation or pressure from customers, otherwise they'll stock whatever sells and makes the most profit.
Guest 13908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:22   #38
alsemail
Bibble....

I've been eating free range for a while now, but it's very difficult to do it all the way. Only about half the 1/3 chicken I eat is joint, breast or whole. How do you do it when you buy a sandwich or go out for a meal or takeaway. I do what I think is right as I believe we have a responsibility to take care of the animals we eat, but until there is a larger demand from the consumer there will never be the availability many of us would like.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:31   #39
Guest 51185
Queen of the cuppa

My Mum always buys the 2 chickens for £5 at Tesco because we stick to a budget. Free-range chicken is all well and good if you can afford it!
Guest 51185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:33   #40
Guest 51185
Queen of the cuppa

Quote:
I don't think it's chicken they use, let alone free range!!!!
Guest 51185 is offline   Reply With Quote