Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 09-01-2008, 18:47   #1
Guest 45175
Trusted User

Hugh's Chicken Run

Anyone watching this? If you're an animal lover like me then you will find this hard to watch, people on there cribbing about paying an extra couple of quid for their chicken to be free range, obviously don't give a damn what the birds have to endure in their short miserable lives!!! Was really pleased to see Jamie Oliver has backed the cause - I really love that man. Tonight they are killing the birds, may have to give this one a miss I find it too distressing. OK people want to eat meat but they should also CARE about the creature who will end up on their plate. I am tempted to start a thread about foie gras and the amount of cruelty attached to this 'delicacy'
Guest 45175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 19:02   #2

That single mum that kept going on about what she can and can't afford didn't look like she was going short of nourishment. Looked like she was getting through 3 chickens a day herself.
Old 09-01-2008, 19:05   #3
Boink!
Quite cross right now

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,301 Posts
I've got these on tape and will watch them at the weekend. For some time now the meat I've bought has been at least free range, mostly organic. People should know where their mince or McNuggets come from and what they looked like before killing and processing. On the Jamie Oliver school meal's series children couldn't identify basic vegitables, which is
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 19:09   #4
philipjg
broke

This programme has made me think, and I'll certainly think twice next time I'm buying a chicken.

Problem is though, I don't buy many chickens. Most of the chicken I eat is in things like ready made sandwiches, ready meals etc. Now I know thats bad in itself, but I very much doubt the chicken in those is going to have had much of a life and is probably the cheapest of the cheap. Unless people boycott products like this (highly unlikely I think) then surely thats a large percentage of chicken products where things are unlikely to change.
philipjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 19:11   #5
mklion123
Xbox Live : xXxTOURETTES

it does wind me up as to how they get on their high horses about this stuff, easy to do when you can afford it.
Its what they're breed for, why the hell should they have to run around outside? they are not pets!
I buy whatever I can afford, I have never bought a free range chicken, I would prefer to spend the extra few quid on a bigger bird.
at the end of the day customers will decide, if you stopped that farming and only sold free range in supermarkets, I should imagine the only way a lot of people will be eating chicken is in the chicken nugget variety.
supermarkets apparently pay as little as 3 pence per bird, whatever happens it's the supermarkets that will have to take the hit in the pocket, because if it doesn't affect the taste people will not change, or at least I wont.
Old 09-01-2008, 19:55   #6
Guest 46034
Banned

If you really cared about the plight of the chicken then you would turn veggie? Wouldnt you?

Isnt it worse to let the bird run around making it feel that there may be a chance you may be different and then still kill it?
Guest 46034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 20:05   #7
mklion123

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmn78 View Post
If you really cared about the plight of the chicken then you would turn veggie? Wouldnt you?

Isnt it worse to let the bird run around making it feel that there may be a chance you may be different and then still kill it?
apparently it's all about it having 39 days of happiness before being electrocuted.
perhaps prisoners on deathrow in america should be allowed to run free before being electrocuted.
Old 09-01-2008, 20:05   #8
Boink!
Quite cross right now

Quote:
No. I'll just support more humane farming.

As an aside, my other half wants to turn a 3m square part of the garden into a chicken run and take in some ex-battery hens.
Old 09-01-2008, 20:10   #9
Guest 31525
Trusted User

It's been a good series so far. But far more shocking was the documentary a couple of years ago about all the chicken breast that's processed in the Netherlands and sent only to the UK. Pumped up with water and cow and pig additives before being sent to UK canteens and food processors. Disgusting.
Guest 31525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 20:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boink! View Post
No. I'll just support more humane farming.

As an aside, my other half wants to turn a 3m square part of the garden into a chicken run and take in some ex-battery hens.
Should be able to fit about 90 in that space
Old 09-01-2008, 20:26   #11
Guest 46034
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklion123 View Post
apparently it's all about it having 39 days of happiness before being electrocuted.
i that a fact and if so how did they come up with 39?

Also arent birds throats cut?
Guest 46034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 20:48   #12
Boink!
Quite cross right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyJake View Post
Should be able to fit about 90 in that space
and yet also

Will probably get three or four.. There's a good chance these birds won't live longer than a couple of weeks, but they can live a couple of years. The main problem is stress & the shock of being outside; battery hens will have never seen the sky or grass. If they can get past that, they pick up quickly and once their beaks and feathers regrow, they'll look and act like normal chickens.
Old 09-01-2008, 20:48   #13
mklion123

Quote:
i that a fact and if so how did they come up with 39?

Also arent birds throats cut?
I dont know if that was the old way, or a halal thing, but you'll see them electrocuted tonight.
Old 09-01-2008, 21:12   #14
Guest 27807
It's a funny old world

I've made a decision to never eat intensively farmed chicken again, but I decided on that before seeing the programme. Last Summer I made the decision and when I can't afford a free-range chicken, I do without. I actually eat less now than before, but what I do eat is nicer. I think I'd rather eat less of a good thing.

I'm glad HFW is raising this issue and it was good to see Jamie Oliver jumping on board, even with his associations with Sainsbury.

Last edited by Chibouk; 09-01-2008 at 21:12.
Guest 27807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 21:55   #15
Dave h-j
Suitable for vegetarians

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklion123 View Post
it does wind me up as to how they get on their high horses about this stuff, easy to do when you can afford it.
Free-range is the actual price of a chicken - intensive farming is cheaper because they cut corners in welfare, artifically lowering the cost.

If customers demand lower prices (and do they really?) then they have to expect that standards will be lower. It not about farming, it's a money production line.

But you get what you pay for - it's not really chicken but supermarket specified chicken flavour white meat.
Dave h-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 22:02   #16
ben.bayliss
Senior Citizen

If supermarkets really can buy a bird for 3p, then something is seriously wrong there - and the profit margins are absolutely enormous!!

I'd like to see some real world figures.
ben.bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 22:09   #17
mklion123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave h-j View Post
Free-range is the actual price of a chicken - intensive farming is cheaper because they cut corners in welfare, artifically lowering the cost.

If customers demand lower prices (and do they really?) then they have to expect that standards will be lower. It not about farming, it's a money production line.

But you get what you pay for - it's not really chicken but supermarket specified chicken flavour white meat.
I dont have a problem with the way they're farmed because at the end of the day it's food, if I started worrying about how all my food was produced I'd not be eating much of anything.
at the end of the day you have a food buget and that dictates what you buy.
I like to go into M&S and look at the food in there, but thats all it is, looking because I can't afford the majority of prices they charge, even though I can clearly see that a lot of the stuff is going to taste far better than what I'm buying at Tesco.
Old 09-01-2008, 22:17   #18
mklion123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.bayliss View Post
If supermarkets really can buy a bird for 3p, then something is seriously wrong there - and the profit margins are absolutely enormous!!

I'd like to see some real world figures.
that 3p quote was from a guy on line in another forum I frequent, he's a meat purchaser for one of the top 3 supermarkets.
I never bothered asking what caused such a low price, but it doesn't suprise me, as supermarkets seem to have too much power when deciding what to pay.

why supermarkets can't subsidise free range a little from all the profit's they make on other stuff who knows?
it all comes down to is it worth it?, and only time will tell.
Old 09-01-2008, 22:22   #19

It must cost more than 3p to feed a chicken for 39 days
Old 09-01-2008, 22:42   #20
Guest 38621
Trusted User

Whilst I am sympathetic to many people who are indeed on the breadline as it were, where Free range would indeed be far too expensive.... there are certainly people out there who maybe should consider what they are buying.

Some people who complain about the cost are those who are not overly poor... and yet they waste huge amounts of the whole chickens they buy.
One the Monday (or maybe Tuesday show), one women said she would buy whole chickens for roast and end up only eating the breast. The rest was binned!!! WTF!
If people actually learned how to use the whole of the bird (as was demonstrated), then they would offset the increased cost.

Me, I'd rather have organic. But, if I couldn't afford, then I would certainly downgrade to non-organic free range and have less if necessary.

Last edited by GavinT; 09-01-2008 at 22:43.
Guest 38621 is offline   Reply With Quote