Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 01-06-2005, 14:13   #41
danford
Trusted User

Quote:
From what I have gleaned from these type of program (hells kitchen/Kitchen nightmares) the Head Chef (like Gordon Ramsey) doesn't do much/any actual cooking anyway, but is the one who coordinates and runs the kitchen.
They oversee everything, check most/all dishes before they leave the kitchen, but rarely actually 'cook
danford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 08:51   #42
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Back to my theme of Ramsay never cooking on TV: I hear what some of you mare saying, that he isn't a TV chef and possibly despises most (if not all) of them; that probably comes from his time with Marco who only ever really relaxed on camera when he had Keith Floyd in the kitchen with him. Anyway, Ramsay: don't you think that when he goes into some of these terrible places he just might show them (and us) what a silly croque monsieur actually looks like by doing one himself? Or a soup? Or anything? It's almost an obsession with him. The Roux Gods cooked on TV, so does Paul Bocuse, Nico etc: I think you either go the whole hog or you quietly get on with it, cook and bugger the TV cameras, like Pierre Koffman or Germain Schwab at Winteringham Fields. No, I've never eaten Chez Ramsay, though I have eaten at a dozen or so 3-star restaurants, Frankly, Ramsay's whole demeanour and attitude puts me off ever eating his food. He is to cuisine what Alastair Campbell is to politics: he has demeaned and debased the whole culture and created many of these younger "chefs" who think they can become a chef in weeks and make a fortune.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:24   #43
GregB
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster
He is to cuisine what Alastair Campbell is to politics: he has demeaned and debased the whole culture and created many of these younger "chefs" who think they can become a chef in weeks and make a fortune.
How can you blame Ramsay for the people who are out for a quick buck. To me his programmes do the exact opposite because they show how difficult is to become a top chef. I honestly don;t understand how he can have demeaned or debased the profession in any way whatsoever.

He definately has cooked on one of his Kitchen Nightmare shows. I can;t remember exactly which one but he did it the first series when the kitchen was going into meltdown.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:17   #44
George vader
"You lied to me first!"

Saying that Ramsy isn't a good chef is like saying Roanldinho is an average footballer.
George vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:24   #45
stu_69
prohibido

I don't really like him (his whole pantomime act is becoming a bit tiresome these days) but I do think he is a good chef. You don't get Michelin stars for nothing and I would certainly rate him well above big tongue and that fat pompous git worsle.

These shows although they are train wreck TV they do show he has a love for food and he seems to make a difference to some of the restaurants he goes to, although no one could have saved this weeks place.

Saying he is not a good chef because he never cooks on TV is a bit of a stupid argument.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 15:28   #46
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_69
Saying he is not a good chef because he never cooks on TV is a bit of a stupid argument.
I never said that for osso bucco's sake! What I said was that Gordon is unusual - maybe unique - in being a celebrity chef who never cooks on TV. And there, in a pistachio or a nutshell, it is. Now let's move on to the next course.
Old 02-06-2005, 20:26   #47
AndyQ
Trusted User

He does a lot of cooking for Good Food Magazine - at least his articles in there are very informative, work well and taste delicious (and even I can get them right!).
AndyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:11   #48
beaky
Omnipresent

He cooked on the last series. He did some demo dishes IIRC. I like this programme, but get sick of the constant swearing. Once or twice fine, but it loses it's impact when you get sentence after sentence of expletives.
beaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:15   #49
Guest 1331

Looking forward to next week's show, where he tackles a restaurant in Brighton. Should be interesting, as I ate there a fortnight ago and the food wasn't that great, to be honest.
Guest 1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 19:07   #50
Mr Silly
wandering and wondering

I really enjoy this programme. Last week's was shocking, but great TV
Mr Silly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 19:30   #51
Guest 23274
Fishing for chodes

Has anybody on here eaten at one of Gordon's restaurants? I'd like to hear what you thought of it... The nearest Michelin stared restaurant to me is Winteringham Fields but I think Germain Schwab has left so I'm not sure about it... I've actually never eaten at even a 1 star restaurant but would really love to. I think G.Ramsey is a total dude from what I've seen of his shows, totally devoted to good food to the point of being infectious, as is Gary Rhodes for that matter and I'd love to eat at City Rhodes too so I'd like to here reports from there too.
Guest 23274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:58   #52
Guest 2241
Trusted User

They are going to repeat these after all. Starting Thursday on E4 then Sundays and Thursdays
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:05   #53
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalaz
The nearest Michelin stared restaurant to me is Winteringham Fields but I think Germain Schwab has left so I'm not sure about it... .
Dear papalaz, I was at Winteringham Fields only a fortnight ago. I first ate there about 3 years ago and thought it was the best food I had ever eaten in Britain, better even than Nico, the Rouxs and Blanc. But tastes change and so of course do restaurants and this time I thought the whole experience far too fussy, overbearing and old-fashioned. Service was desperately slow and the food rather disappointing with some weird ideas - tuna with weiner schnitzel, for example, and I had turbot with a rather badly cooked cauliflower au gratin. After over two hours we frankly didn't have the energy for a pudding - the place rather wore us down. The restaurant is exceedingly pretty and Herr Schwab was in discreet evidence. Bills here are rarely less than £180 for two, including wine. I think maybe the vogue for this sort of Michelin food is passe - we now seem to be in the age of the gastropub with adventurous, robust food at half the price than places like Winteringham.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:38   #54
worthit
Maillot Jaune

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalaz
...as is Gary Rhodes for that matter and I'd love to eat at City Rhodes too so I'd like to here reports from there too.
Not been to City Rhodes, but we (mrsworthit and myself) did go to 'Rhodes in the Square', Gary's resraurant before that in Dolphin Square, Pimlico, quite a while ago for our wedding anniversary.

It was quite simply the best food I have ever tasted, not that I go to restaurants alot I had the haddock and rarebit starter, chicken a la whatever for main and jaffa cake pudding for dessert. No wine, a couple of beers for me and mrsworthit had a couple of southern comforts, the bill came to just over £100 But to me, it was worth it for the experience of a top restaurant and for the food, which was amazing.
worthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 17:07   #55
banus
Trusted User

Quote:
Has anybody on here eaten at one of Gordon's restaurants? I'd like to hear what you thought of it...
yes - Royal Hospital Road...fabulous but cost around £140 per head.

and Claridges for Sunday lunch, again excellent and they do a set price menu !
banus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 18:04   #56
Guest 23274
Fishing for chodes

Cheers folks, I expected the high price, but then... this isn't bar meal territory!
Winteringham Fields sounds well dodgy now.. you shouldn't be getting anything less than perfection for £180 IMO
Guest 23274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:55   #57
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

Actually fancied some of their food tonight and may well go eat in there if I ever visit Brighton.

Hope her business takes off. Ramsey seemed to be quite mellow with this one.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:55   #58
Guest 6419
Trusted User

I thought this one was one of the most interesting so far. Not too much of a problem with the fppd (though freezing a month's worth at a time couldn't have helped the flavours) but more on the running of the business side. It was fasinating to see his business accumen at work, and how can he afford to give good ideas like the mid week selection away like that?.

We like visiting Brighton in any case but will search this place out the next time, I bet sales will go through the roof following this program......... and I hope so too
Guest 6419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:01   #59
maddogsuk
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDDes
We like visiting Brighton in any case but will search this place out the next time, I bet sales will go through the roof following this program......... and I hope so too
I hope sales do. The food looked good and it was her enthusiasm that sold the place too. I would also seek this place out if I was in Brighton.
maddogsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:23   #60
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Yes - that woman was a star and deserved to do well. It was also really nice to see how the head chef turned himself around. Despite everything, Ramsay always seems to value the staff he is so hard on - I remember last season he was full of praise for people who genuinely worked hard and had talent - getting the chef to pull his weight and the owner to back away from the kitchen was superbly done.

J
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote