Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 25-05-2005, 12:04   #21
stu_69
prohibido

Don't think they will be getting many customers after that programme last night. I would not trust that place after the state it was in when ramsey turned up.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2005, 12:25   #22
Tob
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_69
Don't think they will be getting many customers after that programme last night. I would not trust that place after the state it was in when ramsey turned up.
I would guess that quite a few restaurants have a similar level of hygeine although I might be talking complete rubbish!

How anyone cannot tell the difference between pasta and a pot noodle is beyond me - the spicy curry sauce is unmistakable!
Tob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2005, 13:49   #23
internetuser
XBL / PSN : Googleboogle

how did he make 20k over crimbo, easy with the mark up on food and drink been around 200%

my GF's mother runs a cafe / bar and the pure profit from food and drink is unbelivable, even after paying bills etc.

another trick some places do is not put it all through the books, which going from what that bloke was working like I would not be suprised.

£30 quid a head, for say 90 minutes a sitting, and it could hold 50people ish is £1500.

time 4 sittings a night over christmas soon adds up
internetuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 10:13   #24
dwaine
Dorothy's mate

Letchworth is just down the road from me, and I'm almost tempted to go and check it out.

Yeah, the hygiene was bad, but I was assured by the end that he had changed his ways - fair dos to the fella.
Old 28-05-2005, 08:41   #25
Guest 1699
Crazy Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiting
It may have been the editing, I can't remember.

I'd expect a Vegetarian to pick up, of all things, Parma ham a mile off. His (the vegetarian) reaction was muted to say the least. Again, I can only suspect editing.
If they'd fed the guy something he couldn't eat for religious reasons, I doubt they would have been so light-hearted.
Deliberately letting the veggie eat Ham was a nasty trick, for all they know he could have serious allergies and that's why he is a veggie - not so funny when you're having to inject adrenaline into his heart eh?
Guest 1699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 09:17   #26
mattymoo
Gamertag: stevie40

You can hear his views on Radio 2 listen again - go to Tuesdays show here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/?focuswin
The interview is about 30 minutes in.
mattymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 15:38   #27
Guest 586
Meldrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazley
If they'd fed the guy something he couldn't eat for religious reasons, I doubt they would have been so light-hearted.
Deliberately letting the veggie eat Ham was a nasty trick, for all they know he could have serious allergies and that's why he is a veggie - not so funny when you're having to inject adrenaline into his heart eh?
Exactly. Ramsey's tourette's swearing and hard arse posturing don't bother me -- you know what you're getting into when you become a chef -- but his baffling, mean spirited veggie baiting is pathetic. Especially from someone who makes his stall on having total respect for customer's choices. "I respect the customer, so long as it's not something I've got a beef (sorry, sorry) with." What a tool.
Guest 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 12:43   #28
George vader
"You lied to me first!"

From Digital Spy
Quote:
The US version of Hell's Kitchen has received a thumbs down from the critics.

The reworked reality show, which sees foul-mouthed chef Gordon Ramsay attempting to train a group of amateurs, premiered on the FOX network last night (Monday).

Variety described Ramsay as a "cartoonishly abusive snot," adding that he "overplays his part from the opening moments."

The Salt Lake City Tribune claimed that the show leaves the viewer "feeling like you're going to vomit," while the New York Daily News said that FOX was "plating and serving something almost palatable."

The San Francisco Chronicle declared: "Almost nothing in Hell's Kitchen is unique to the reality genre - it's painfully derivative on so many fronts that it sometimes seems you're watching five reality shows at once."

The show airs in the UK on ITV2 later this summer.
George vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 15:56   #29
Guest 45586
Trusted User

If I were the editor of the Michelin Guide I would banish Ramsay's restaurants as I think he is doing a disservice to good food and serious restaurants and exploiting his Michelin *** status in a way that no other chef has done. And another thing about Ramsay: you never, ever, see him cook anything on TV. To my knowledge he has never, ever, taken a dish and showed us how to cook it, in the manner Gary Rhodes, Delia or Rick Stein. His shows are great TV, sure, but they have absolutely nothing to do with food or cooking.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 16:37   #30
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster
If I were the editor of the Michelin Guide I would banish Ramsay's restaurants as I think he is doing a disservice to good food and serious restaurants and exploiting his Michelin *** status in a way that no other chef has done. And another thing about Ramsay: you never, ever, see him cook anything on TV. To my knowledge he has never, ever, taken a dish and showed us how to cook it, in the manner Gary Rhodes, Delia or Rick Stein. His shows are great TV, sure, but they have absolutely nothing to do with food or cooking.

So your definition of a world-class chef is being able to cook something on TV is it?

Do you seriously question the man's ability?
Old 31-05-2005, 21:27   #31
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

That French Chef on tonight's show was utterly useless. How the hell he managed 150 staff at Belgos or Planet Hollywood I will never know.

His motto must have been "If you can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen and have a fag"
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 21:47   #32
stu_69
prohibido

What a mess that place was, I feel for that bloke and his wife.

I would have fired that french bloke and hired the guy from last week at least he wanted to cook.
Old 31-05-2005, 21:49   #33
stu_69
prohibido

The place next week is in Brighton and I have eaten there a few times. The food was always lovely (although the service was really really slow) so it will be interesting to see what the problems are.
Old 31-05-2005, 22:12   #34
banus
Trusted User

Quote:
To my knowledge he has never, ever, taken a dish and showed us how to cook it,
have you tried his food ?

I have been to two of his restaurants, Claridges and Chelsea Hosp Rd. and they were both sensational !!
banus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:56   #35
BigH
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_69
The place next week is in Brighton and I have eaten there a few times. The food was always lovely (although the service was really really slow) so it will be interesting to see what the problems are.
I've eaten there a few times, and seemed fine to me

Apparently, the place comes off a lot better than the first two restaurants in the series
Old 01-06-2005, 11:43   #36
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead

So your definition of a world-class chef is being able to cook something on TV is it?

Do you seriously question the man's ability?
No, that's not my definition. I just thought it interesting that Ramsay has never allowed himself to be filmed actually cooking something - apart from those earlier supporting appearances in Marco Pierre White's progs about 10 years ago with the hapless Kay Avila. My feeling is that Ramsay is simply exploiting his status rather crudely and behaving in a way no other topline chef has done. And his shows have little or nothing to do with cooking . . . but are great fodder for amateur psychiatrists.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:25   #37
Guest 35758
Rinky Dink Panther

Quote:
I just thought it interesting that Ramsay has never allowed himself to be filmed actually cooking something...
That's because he's not a TV chef - in fact he despises practically all TV chefs (Gary Rhodes being the only exception I would imagine).

His shows aren't about helping the viewer to cook, they are, Hells Kitchen notwithstanding, about sorting out so called professionals by giving them a justified kick up the 'rse.

Matt.
Guest 35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:51   #38
johnson293
Black and White Member

Quote:
No, that's not my definition. I just thought it interesting that Ramsay has never allowed himself to be filmed actually cooking something - apart from those earlier supporting appearances in Marco Pierre White's progs about 10 years ago with the hapless Kay Avila. My feeling is that Ramsay is simply exploiting his status rather crudely and behaving in a way no other topline chef has done. And his shows have little or nothing to do with cooking . . . but are great fodder for amateur psychiatrists.
As others have said, his shows aren't about his cooking ability, which I wouldn't question, but more about his knowledge of cooking, and running a successful kitchen/business.

From what I have gleaned from these type of program (hells kitchen/Kitchen nightmares) the Head Chef (like Gordon Ramsey) doesn't do much/any actual cooking anyway, but is the one who coordinates and runs the kitchen.
They oversee everything, check most/all dishes before they leave the kitchen, but rarely actually 'cook'.

He obviously knows his stuff, as he has turned round a few of the businesses on this programme, and obviously knows good food, and how to run successful kitchens, and this is what has earned him/his restaurants the michelin stars.

Obviously, he is more vocal, and uses worse language than most, but I still think this is what he is like anyway, and isn't now doing it just to live up to a reputation he has earned. I just think he is that passionate about food!

MJ

Last edited by johnson293; 01-06-2005 at 12:53.
johnson293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 13:09   #39
Bapapapa
ᗧ。。。。。。ᗣᗣᗣᗣ

Gotta love the 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' music they had playing over last night's kitchen scenes...

Bapapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 14:05   #40
SPB
Balding Member

Quote:

He can't show us how to cook, he'll be thrown out of the topline chef society and stripped of his michelin stars for breaking the chef code of conduct. Or is that the magic circle?
SPB is offline   Reply With Quote