Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Closed Thread

Old 14-09-2012, 08:53   #81
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedalia View Post
and the WiiU does nothing to push that bar forward.
nintendo for a long time haven't been about pushing the architecture forward, they've been about playing games and that's it. You only have to look at when they do lists of top games ever, how many are older nintentdo games - it's amazing how they stand up so well over time. hell, how many people still play snes super mario kart?
Old 14-09-2012, 09:34   #82
DM
Self Abuser

8?
Old 14-09-2012, 09:49   #83
gjkendall
Gooner

I have pre-ordered the Premium version from Amazon...

Now for a nosey at the games that will be available!

Can someone confirm that I will be able to play ZombieU just on the handheld screen rather than on the TV? My daughter are too young for such a title, but I am all over this like the French Paparazzi and Kates babylons!
Old 14-09-2012, 10:22   #84
Gedalia
Space Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumfrog View Post
nintendo for a long time haven't been about pushing the architecture forward, they've been about playing games and that's it. You only have to look at when they do lists of top games ever, how many are older nintentdo games - it's amazing how they stand up so well over time. hell, how many people still play snes super mario kart?
How many quality non-1st party Wii games can you name? The Wii was a great concept let down by a lack of quality 3rd party games and **** poor hardware and now gathers dust in the majority of homes.

These days most quality 3rd party games are cross platform, except for the Wii as it doesn't have the capabilities. I see the same thing happening with the WiiU.
Old 14-09-2012, 10:38   #85
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
How many quality non-1st party Wii games can you name? The Wii was a great concept let down by a lack of quality 3rd party games and **** poor hardware and now gathers dust in the majority of homes.

These days most quality 3rd party games are cross platform, except for the Wii as it doesn't have the capabilities. I see the same thing happening with the WiiU.
It's irrelevant, you missed the point I was making. A good game is a good game no matter what the hardware. Doesn't matter if a console doesn't have 3rd party support if the 1st party support is able to bring out games that are played years later.

Hell tetris on the original gameboy is still awesome today...

Last edited by bumfrog; 14-09-2012 at 10:40.
Old 14-09-2012, 10:39   #86
Toge
North London is red

Just hope amazon honour my £200 pre order for the wii u premium!
Old 14-09-2012, 10:46   #87
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
How many quality non-1st party Wii games can you name?
Resident Evil 4 for one

Quote:
The Wii was a great concept let down by a lack of quality 3rd party games and **** poor hardware and now gathers dust in the majority of homes.
Ours doesn't thanks, our son is rarely off it.

Quote:
These days most quality 3rd party games are cross platform, except for the Wii as it doesn't have the capabilities.
Loads of 3rd party cross platform titles are available on the Wii (the entire Lego franchise for example)

Quote:
I see the same thing happening with the WiiU.
The WiiU is more powerful than the PS3 so I am not sure why that is the case. I also haven't heard many game publishers coming out and saying they won't code for it due to it's lack of capabilities.
Old 14-09-2012, 11:00   #88

Wii U has about a year of keeping up with the lead platforms, after that it goes back to the half-arsed ports of the Wii

Old 14-09-2012, 11:10   #89
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyJake View Post
Wii U has about a year of keeping up with the lead platforms, after that it goes back to the half-arsed ports of the Wii
Exactly. Being quicker than a 6 year old console is hardly something to be bragging about surely?

The PS4/720 is going to wipe the floor with this from a technical POV, so Nintendo can only attack with the games, and apart from the Zombie one there is literally nothing there to get excited about.

The tablet-pad is going to be a PITA playing with for any length of time too.

Last edited by rustybin; 14-09-2012 at 11:10.
Old 14-09-2012, 11:14   #90
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
Exactly. Being quicker than a 6 year old console is hardly something to be bragging about surely?

The PS4/720 is going to wipe the floor with this from a technical POV, so Nintendo can only attack with the games, and apart from the Zombie one there is literally nothing there to get excited about.

The tablet-pad is going to be a PITA playing with for any length of time too.
but why do people keep compaing the wii and wii U to the xbox and playstation. Ever since the release of the wii, nintendo have been pretty obvious that they are not going for the same market, so it doesn't matter if the new xplaystationbox wipes the floor with them technically. The last generation was the same, but the wii still sold a lot!

Not that I think that the Wii U will do that well given the current market however...
Old 14-09-2012, 11:17   #91
Gedalia
Space Monkey

Whatever your own personal experience are, they unfortunately don't change the fact that the Wii lost the current gen to the 360, and the point I was trying to make is that the WiiU doesn't appear to have enough of a USP over the Wii to create the huge number of console sales the Wii enjoyed due to it's obvious USP at the time, especially as it's substantially more expensive.
Old 14-09-2012, 11:20   #92
gjkendall
Gooner

Why is the WiiU being compared to new Sony and Microsoft machines?

Nintendo are not really going for the same market are they? Otherwise they would of put out a more powerful spec heavy machine and asked £500 for it.

I just don't understand why this machine is being knocked for being something that it is clearly not trying to be!
Old 14-09-2012, 11:21   #93
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Whatever your own personal experience are, they unfortunately don't change the fact that the Wii lost the current gen to the 360, and the point I was trying to make is that the WiiU doesn't appear to have enough of a USP over the Wii to create the huge number of console sales the Wii enjoyed due to it's obvious USP at the time, especially as it's substantially more expensive.

lost what exactly? the fanboy war? the I can't get games with swearing war?

according to sales figures, the wii is about 30million more than the 360 - http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/
Old 14-09-2012, 11:23   #94

I don't see how any of them can ask £500 this time round. The last gen happened in 2005/6 before everyone was skint. I think the WiiU is being compared to the 360 and PS3 because it costs £300, which is getting very close to what people were expecting to pay for next generation hardware.

Old 14-09-2012, 11:35   #95
Gedalia
Space Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumfrog View Post
lost what exactly? the fanboy war? the I can't get games with swearing war?

according to sales figures, the wii is about 30million more than the 360 - http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/
The only figure that really counts for a consoles profitability, the tie-sales, which per your link the 360 won.

Look at the tie-sales ratio for Japan, it's home market, 5.25! The worst tie-sales ratio for any Nintendo home console ever.
Old 14-09-2012, 11:40   #96
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyJake View Post
I don't see how any of them can ask £500 this time round. The last gen happened in 2005/6 before everyone was skint. I think the WiiU is being compared to the 360 and PS3 because it costs £300, which is getting very close to what people were expecting to pay for next generation hardware.
It is next generation hardware for Nintendo though!
Old 14-09-2012, 11:41   #97
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
The only figure that really counts for a consoles profitability, the tie-sales, .

given they were making a profit on every console sold, I'm not really sure how you work that one out.

I think what you are trying to say, is that people who own xbox 360's buy more games than any other console.

That still doesn't fit with your original statement about the wii "losing" something, which you still haven't defined...
Old 14-09-2012, 11:50   #98
double_cut
tatsumaki senpukyaku

Quote:
The only figure that really counts for a consoles profitability, the tie-sales, which per your link the 360 won.
Yeah that only works if everything else is equal. Nintendo made a profit on every single system sold from day 1, Microsoft haven't.

EDIT: The Wii has won this generation by any meaningful metric bar attach rate which is something I've never seen used to proclaim a winner in any console generation I've experienced. The fight now is for second place with Sony slowly making ground on Microsoft, although there is no way they will make up for their losses this late in the game.

Last edited by double_cut; 14-09-2012 at 11:53.
Old 14-09-2012, 11:51   #99
JimDriver2
Trusted User

While Nintendo aren't going for the same market as Sony & MS, so the comparisons about hardware etc aren't totally relevant, what they are going for is a market that IMO doesn't exist.

They seem to think the massive mass market that bought the Wii is going to be coming back. I don't think it will be because from what i've seen of many friends who fit into that category: the Wii was cheap enough for a impulse buy / 1 use buy, it was a novelty that was clearly apparent and everyone had more money then.

For gamers there are even more reasons to not buy, and I say this as someone who's bought Nintendo machines since the N64 (which I had on launch day.). There were quite a few good games, but nowhere near enough great ones they made you feel like you weren't missing out as you watching PS3/360 owners get classics like GTA4. The one great 3rd party game mentioned above (Resident Evil 4) was a Gamecube game.

Very few gamers are going to buy it knowing that in a years time (like others have said above) there will be no decent third party games.

Nintendo is doing exactly what they did after the success of the SNES. They've got really arrogant and think they can just do they're own thing and everyone will follow. The N64 in the end was a good console, with some classic games, but anyone at the time will tell you that the PS won that generation.
Old 14-09-2012, 12:09   #100
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
The one great 3rd party game mentioned above (Resident Evil 4) was a Gamecube game.
IIRC Resident Evil 4 was also released, in optimised/re-coded format, for the Wii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
Very few gamers are going to buy it knowing that in a years time (like others have said above) there will be no decent third party games.
Says who ?

Oh, and at the fanboy(s) claiming the PS3 outsold the Wii and then using some obscure (irrelevant) stat when the truth is pointed out

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 14-09-2012 at 12:11.
Closed Thread