Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 03-07-2008, 21:39   #1
Marek
Trusted User

Nintendo Stars - Did anyone else lose them..

grrr Nintendo

Just found out that I have lost over 5000 stars on Nintendo's site as i havent used them in 24 months. I have been told i should have read the T & C's more closely. I did not know they would expire even though i have been assured i was notified they would run out.

I trawled and found a newsletter and there it was at the very bottom of the email. To be fair i do check star catalogue oftenish but normally nothing at all is available. End of june was alerted by a friend some decent stuff was there went for it next day but all stars gone.

Was going to get some key rings for lil one. But Nintendo just read me the T & C's and said tough. Was hoping for a little bit understanding after spending thousands on their products.

But i think thats me done for Nintendo.

Just wondering has anyone else been affected as i have a few friends in same boat.

Marek
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 21:50   #2
pjg
Trusted User

I lost about 5000 too and really ****** off about it tbh. They started offering wii points in the stars catalogue yet they are always "sold out" - I don't know how they can be sold out when they are just a code Unbeivable that you can spend so much money and then they just take the points away
pjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 21:52   #3
Marek
Trusted User

may get a petition going for this if there is any interest..
Old 03-07-2008, 22:08   #4
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

yep, same here

first i knew of it was an email saying YOUR POINTS ARE WRONG AS YOU LOST THEM

scroll back a month and find a "you will lose at end of June" at very bottom of a marketing email about theoir games. I bet if i look a year before for the first email it will be the same, tuicked at the bottom of a long marketing email.

very sneaky really. Not hard to send an email with a title saying "important update on your stars account"
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:15   #5
Guest 54308
TAWT-A-HELLO

Location: Above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley.
9900 of them down the toilet. Cheers Nintendo!
Guest 54308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:22   #6
MarcusUK
Trusted User

This is the mail i got 15/06/2007

subject: Important information regarding the Nintendo membership

Dear Nintendo fan,
At Nintendo we respect the privacy rights of our online visitors and we recognise the importance of protecting your personal details. To allow us to implement additional features on our website, to improve our products and to adapt them to our users’ needs and preferences, we need your permission to gather information about your online activities on our web site and with Nintendo’s products..
Please review our new Privacy Policy by clicking on this link http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/home/index.do and logging in to your account. Once you have read the information on that page, please use the appropriate buttons to either ACCEPT or DECLINE this new Privacy Policy.
Please note that if we haven’t received your answer by July 15, 2007, or if you choose to DECLINE our new Privacy Policy, you will from that day onwards no longer be able to use your Stars in the Stars Catalogue, as we will be forced to deactivate your Nintendo membership. No matter what you decide, you can still use your Stars and enjoy all the other benefits of the Nintendo membership account until July 15, 2007.
Also note that when you continue your Nintendo membership, from now on your Stars will automatically expire 24 months after they were added to your profile. Stars you have earned before the introduction of the new Terms and Conditions expire 12 months after the introduction of the new Terms and Conditions, which will not occur until June 1, 2008.
However, you will soon be able to swap your Stars for Wii Points in the Stars Catalogue if you linked your Wii Shop Channel account to your online Nintendo membership.
We look forward to seeing you again on our website soon, and hope you will enjoy the new generation in videogaming together with us!
Your Nintendo team
MarcusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:23   #7
carlito8
XBL - Carlito8

Saw a post on another forum a few minutes before midnight so managed to log in and order a load of crap with mine. Why do they even have to expire ? Surely the point is to save them until you have enough for something decent/nintendo actually put something worthwhile ordering on the site ?
carlito8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:35   #8
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
yep, same here

first i knew of it was an email saying YOUR POINTS ARE WRONG AS YOU LOST THEM

scroll back a month and find a "you will lose at end of June" at very bottom of a marketing email about theoir games. I bet if i look a year before for the first email it will be the same, tuicked at the bottom of a long marketing email.

very sneaky really. Not hard to send an email with a title saying "important update on your stars account"
Me too. Lost 3800 points. What really ****** me off is the fact that the so-called warning was, as you say, stuck right at the bottom of the June email but wasn't even specific to me! It didn't specify how many of my points were actually going to expire.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:35   #9
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

What are these exactly? Like Microsoft points? Do you pay for them? If so, how is this legal?
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:43   #10
Guest 3756
Xbox Live: Winkle

lost 5580 stars, not a great way to create good will.

there was never anything good to buy.
Guest 3756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:54   #11
Guest 49504

The first I knew about it was an email saying they'd made a mistake on the original email, think I've lost about 5000.

Don't think I'll be buying any more Nintendo products if this is how they treat paying customers.

EDIT: Checking the account, the points expired June 1st, so had already gone by the time I'd known about it.

Last edited by Drysolder; 03-07-2008 at 23:08.
Guest 49504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:56   #12
Marek
Trusted User

these are points you recieve for buying nintendo products or games it takes ages to accumulate them. You can then go to thewonderful stars catalogue which never has anything decent to buy with your stars. However occeasionally there are odd games and some t shirts , key rings etc. Also can buy wii points but these for some reason were out of stock more often than not.

Seems like a lot of peeps got well buttered up
Old 03-07-2008, 22:59   #13
carlito8
XBL - Carlito8

Plus how the hell can wii points be out of stock. Ever ?
carlito8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 23:05   #14
queeg500
Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito8 View Post
Saw a post on another forum a few minutes before midnight so managed to log in and order a load of crap with mine. Why do they even have to expire ? Surely the point is to save them until you have enough for something decent/nintendo actually put something worthwhile ordering on the site ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPiggott View Post
What are these exactly? Like Microsoft points? Do you pay for them? If so, how is this legal?
I think part of it will be so Nintendo can account for its future liability in respect of the points - i.e. for what it will cost to give you the stuff you buy with your points; if the points have an indefinite life then it can get messy accounting for this obligation.

Sticking an expiry date on the points helps this in that Nintendo can write-off the value of any unredeemed points at the end of the validity period. This is the same reason gift vouchers have expiry dates on them.

I sympathise with you guys who had points taken away without realising they'd expire, but at the same time I do remember being notified that this would happen at the end of June at least twice - once about 6 months ago, and again in an email more recently.

Come to think of it, do Wii points expire too?
queeg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 23:10   #15
queeg500
Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito8 View Post
Plus how the hell can wii points be out of stock. Ever ?
Yeah, I've thought this too. My only suggestion would be that Nintendo needs to keep strict control over the codes it releases to unlock Wii points cards. It might be dangerous to have the website automatically generate them when someone requests one since if it got hacked there could be a lot of free Wii points unleashed perhaps?

Either way, there should be a better system in place I think - maybe a ticketing arrangement whereby you log a request for a points card and the system emails you when one is available, at which point you have say 24 hours to redeem this ticket before it goes to someone else.

Last edited by queeg500; 03-07-2008 at 23:12.
queeg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 00:05   #16
Captain_Howdy666
Made of 100% pure awesome

I lost 2650 points.

If it's not against the rules mods, I'd like to mention this:

I think I still have a stack of used points cards, would there be a problem with me sending some or all of my cards to someone in return for theirs. I know all the numbers on the cards are different, but you can only enter one game/product title, so lists of titles would have to be shared. But at least we'd go some way to reclaiming our lost points.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:26   #17
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

My whole account was lost - along with many many others' when they redid the site.

Cheers Nintendo. Chintendo.
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:33   #18
Guest 28750
What the BBFC Ban, I Buy

Please People you were warned well in advance of Nintendo doing this, when the E Mails happened it was all over the Nintendo forum here and every Nintendo site warning you of the out come.

But yes blame Nintendo but your are too lazy to read what you are signing up too
Guest 28750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:38   #19
Londoner666
Trusted User

Ive lost 7000 points, they could of at least sent a warning that they were going to expire...
Nintendo Suck big time
Londoner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:42   #20
allan175
Trusted User

I saw the email and whenever I logged into the site (to see if there was anything worth buying) it listed my current stars balance as well as "Stars expiring at the end of June XXXX".

I used up all the ones I had getting Wii Points but it was a bit hit & miss as to whether there were any available.