Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 07-07-2008, 15:24   #81
Guest 675
Trusted User

Gee, here's a crafty idea: how about not registering your frikkin' stars until you actually see something in the catalogue that you want and is actually available?

I had a pile of star cards which I only recently registered when I saw there were points available. It's really not that hard.

Oh, and the reason the point cards are limited on the site is because they need to be physically issued before they become valid. It's the same when you buy a gift card at a retailer. These things can't be generated on the fly since they effectively represent money.
Guest 675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 15:29   #82
MarcusUK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick dVl View Post
Gee, here's a crafty idea: how about not registering your frikkin' stars until you actually see something in the catalogue that you want and is actually available?

I had a pile of star cards which I only recently registered when I saw there were points available. It's really not that hard.

Oh, and the reason the point cards are limited on the site is because they need to be physically issued before they become valid. It's the same when you buy a gift card at a retailer. These things can't be generated on the fly since they effectively represent money.
That's a good idea. Except by the time you've registered them the frikkin' wii points would be sold out.

Maybe they should employ more than one person to physically issue them.
MarcusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 15:52   #83
yaffle
Grammar Nazi

Quote:

Until relatively recently, there was no reason not to register them straight away, because they didn't have an expiry date - that was introduced relatively recently. On the contrary, the incentive was to register them as soon as possible, because on those rare occasions that there was something worth bagging on the stars catalogue, it sold out in minutes, and if you hadn't scratched off and registered all your stars then you'd miss out getting anything good.

And your explanation of why Wii points cards are so limited doesn't ring true I'm afraid. It doesn't begin to address why so few are ever available - they could employ more staff to do it very easily, I imagine. The real reason, as far as I'm concerned, is that they simply don't want to issue more cards.
yaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 16:43   #84
Guest 49504

Quote:
Rubbish, (and since the Xbox has been brought into this conversation, thanks Evilbones ), the code generation should be dynamic, a la Xbox Marketplace, where you can buy points and have them auto generated, and registered by the Xbox server itself.

Which begs the question, why isn't there more frikkin' integration into the existing platforms for the use of the Stars (i.e., a 'Points Channel' on the Wii, and some kind of in-store kiosk for the DS). There's no incentive for people to use them other than hanging off the website 24/7 to see if something great floats to the surface of all the tat.

It's really a missed opportunity for Nintendo to make more money, but then again, how much is too much??

Last edited by Drysolder; 07-07-2008 at 16:45.
Guest 49504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 17:50   #85
Guest 675
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysolder View Post
Rubbish, (and since the Xbox has been brought into this conversation, thanks Evilbones ), the code generation should be dynamic, a la Xbox Marketplace, where you can buy points and have them auto generated, and registered by the Xbox server itself.
Would be nice if Nintendo had gone down that route, but clearly it looks as though they haven't. They obviously rely on batches of points cards to be issued, a portion of which probably gets allocated to the website, hence the continual lack of available cards.

I managed to redeem about 2400 stars over the space of about 3 weeks, so it's not that bad. It's also not in Nintendo's best interest to swap star for points since you are not paying for them in the first place. They're more of an added bonus with the games - you're lucky they include them at all.
Guest 675 is offline   Reply With Quote