Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Finance Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 22-11-2007, 09:29   #21
Coolio
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapapapa View Post
You still need to login as usual with:

Your 'usernumber'

Online PIN

Online Password

THEN if you need to add/create a *new* payee you use the reader which will ask you for the card's PIN (ie not the online PIN) and it'll then give you a security number.

I've just made a credit card payment (already on file) without needing to use it...
What I meant, was for new setup payees, you will need it going forward. For example, I added Amex, whenever I make an amex payment they prompt me to use it (it seems to cause false results a lot?!?) but when I make a payment to say my Nationwide CC (which I've had on my account for years) I have no prompt.
Coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 11:32   #22
malcy

Have had mine for over a month now, never being asked for to actually use it.
From what I have read it agrees with posts above that you only have to use it when setting up a new payment.
If paying to an existing one then not required.

Not sure if this is better or Nationwides approach where you get a lot more security questions you register with them online, like what's your favourite animal or film. Again it only seems to ask these when setting up new payments not for existing stuff.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 12:03   #23
Guest 48579
Banned

FINALLY

mine turned up yesterday after so long. I finally have full access to online facilities again.
Guest 48579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 11:29   #24
andog
Trusted User

agree with CJAnderson - been issued my Barclays one and they're a pain in the arse... I used to access Barclays online banking via. my mobile phone, anywhere, anytime - now I have to carry this daft calculator around with me - what a nuisance...

I suppose if people didn't fall for Phishing scams, they wouldn't be required at all
andog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 15:16   #25
Jonny G
Trusted User

The cynic in me thinks it's all a cunning plan to squeeze that extra little bit of debit interest out of people.

Either that or cause people to not transfer into savings accounts as often.

The only thing with the Barclays one (and assuming all others are the same) is that it's both PIN and card specific for logging on and then also paying away the funds, which will reduce the amount of fraud that the Bank are liable for.

Basically a win-win-win scenario for the banks and extra hassle for the customer.
Old 02-12-2007, 15:53   #26
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Got mine from Barclays. What a piece of junk. I have to ram the card in and hold it down hard to get contact, and the code it generates when it eventually does work is not accepted by online banking.

It's a good thing I'm in the UK now so I can go into the branch and sort this out, but locking me out of my paying my company expenses in the meanwhile is totally unacceptable.
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 13:58   #27
amkhan
Insert witty comment here

is there a bank that doesnt do this?. TBH I'm thinking very seriously of switching to a bank that doesn't bust my balls when I want to spend my money.
amkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 16:43   #28
Toge
North London is red

Just got mine. What a joke this thing is.
Toge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 14:35   #29
malcy

Nationwide will be rolling these out in next couple of months.
Will need to reissue your debit card and send reader.
Only seems to apply if you have the Flexaccount debit card as that will allow transfers and payments. Does not seem to apply if just have credit card as that is only viewing transactions.

You need to phone them if you are not going to be in UK for 3 weeks from late March as they will cut off your web access if you don't use the readers by then.

Is to replace their 6 additional security questions you could choose from list like what is your favourite animal.
Old 29-01-2008, 16:18   #30
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy View Post
Nationwide will be rolling these out in next couple of months.
Will need to reissue your debit card and send reader.
Only seems to apply if you have the Flexaccount debit card as that will allow transfers and payments. Does not seem to apply if just have credit card as that is only viewing transactions.

You need to phone them if you are not going to be in UK for 3 weeks from late March as they will cut off your web access if you don't use the readers by then.

Is to replace their 6 additional security questions you could choose from list like what is your favourite animal.
A bank with sense. I wish the Bank of Scotland would take notice of that, and realise that only transfer/payment transactions need extra security, not just looking at account balances, which is what I mostly use BoS online banking for. It's a pain in the arse having to find the token just to log on every time. At least the BoS went with the keyring sized things not the huge mock calculator effort.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 10:43   #31
malcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader View Post
A bank with sense. I wish the Bank of Scotland would take notice of that, and realise that only transfer/payment transactions need extra security, not just looking at account balances, which is what I mostly use BoS online banking for. It's a pain in the arse having to find the token just to log on every time. At least the BoS went with the keyring sized things not the huge mock calculator effort.
NatWest are very good you only need to use the security calculator if setting up new external payments outside your linked NatWest accounts.
So far have never been asked to use it for existing already set up payments.

Not clear which approach Nationwide will use but it definitely appears to be only for payments (maybe all or only newly created ones).

One thing that really ****** me off speaking to Nationwide about my flexaccount over the phone is for security they want to know your current balance or last transaction so have to have the online account summary open in front of you. One time I failed security as they asked balance and I said a few hundred £, which they said was not good enough (had £400 or so). Had to phone back with webaccess and then was okay.
Old 01-02-2008, 23:09   #32
At The Gates
Trusted User

Why don't they just use key ring sized RSA SecureID tokens like the rest of the planet?
Old 01-02-2008, 23:38   #33
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by At The Gates View Post
Why don't they just use key ring sized RSA SecureID tokens like the rest of the planet?
Because for some reason they wanted to make presence of the card important. Who knows why. I think I read somewhere that there may be online shopping tie-ins at some point. Securid token would be far more convenient though.

Saw a funny thing while I was in the Nat West bank today, waiting to speak to customer services. Some really old guy came in with some problem with his PIN. The woman behind the desk needed him to type it in, and he couldn't do it without speaking the PIN out loud as he typed it. The woman was constantly stopping him and saying "No please DON'T SAY YOUR PIN OUT LOUD" but in the end she gave up and he said all four digits as he typed them ... slight security problem there then, especially if he does the same in the supermarket etc.
Old 26-08-2008, 01:37   #34
KennyVader
Insomniac

Might as well throw the card readers in the bin

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...+35/article.do

Quote:
Personal details of more than a million bank customers have been found on a computer sold on eBay.

Highly- sensitive information on American Express, NatWest and Royal Bank of Scotland customers was stored on the machine's hard drive.

It includes names, addresses, mobile phone numbers, bank account numbers, sort codes, credit card numbers, mothers' maiden names and even signatures.

It was described as 'a data thief's treasure chest', with everything a criminal needs to assume a customer's identity - and clear out their bank account.

The massive data loss - one of the worst ever in Britain - is a clear breach of the banks' obligation under the Data Protection Act to keep all personal information secure.
They expect us to jump through security hoops to access our accounts but then they go and give the data away like this. In this case it looks like it was their archival contractor that has let them down but even so ... WTF? All the companies I've ever worked for get certificates of destruction just for recycled paper, let alone computer disks and tapes. So I still call Nat West responsible for this.

Still, makes a change from the Home Office losing our data.
Old 26-08-2008, 08:52   #35
yaffle
Grammar Nazi

To be fair, the last instance was PA Consulting losing the data, not the Home Office itself. Most of the 'Government' data losses are actually losses by private sector companies contracted to provide services, not losses by the civil service itself.
yaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 08:56   #36
custard_chris
Skiving layabout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaffle View Post
To be fair, the last instance was PA Consulting losing the data, not the Home Office itself. Most of the 'Government' data losses are actually losses by private sector companies contracted to provide services, not losses by the civil service itself.
What difference does that make? The data is still lost, and I don't see this or any future government stopping out-sourcing this sort of thing.
Old 26-08-2008, 08:58   #37
yaffle
Grammar Nazi

The difference is that I keep seeing the civil service being criticised for this, whereas civil servants aren't actually involved and most would prefer that this sort of thing wasn't outsourced to begin with (for exactly this reason).
Old 26-08-2008, 09:02   #38
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

While i see what you are saying, the 'Government' are the ones who outsource in the first place and should be held accountable regaurdless. I'm not blaming the civil service directly through
Old 26-08-2008, 10:48   #39
yaffle
Grammar Nazi

Thanks

It's fair game to blame the Government. I often see people on boards criticising the civil servants for this sort of thing though (the loons on BBC Have Your Say are particularly bad for it), so I'm probably just oversensitive to it.
Old 26-08-2008, 11:35   #40
Zaichik
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendo View Post
All sounds a bit backward to me, I bank with Lloyds TSB and they use a keyring size access code device.
When did you get that? I bank with Lloyds TSB, but I don't have one of those.
Zaichik is offline   Reply With Quote