Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 22-07-2018, 14:14   #1
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Aquaman

First trailer:

James Wan (Fast 7, Insidious, The Conjuring) directs. Jason Momoa, Amber Heard & Nicole Kidman star.

Doesn't look quite as bad as Justice League, but that's not saying much...
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 18:06   #2
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

It might not be bad as JL and suicide squad but it looks so dumb and generic.
Its like they said to Wan, like recent f&F films but less high brow

Also Aquaman personality is still the awful dudebro from the last film. Actually prefer the Shazam film as its bit more of risk and more entertaining (Also Chuck as super hero)
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 18:10   #3
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Looks more promising than Black Panther did
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:45   #4
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Looks much better than I was expecting & they've done a great job capturing the look of the recent Aquaman comic-books. Especially excited to see they're using "The Trench" creatures from the Geoff Johns reboot, which has been my favourite Aquaman story since the "52" reboot.

With this & the surprisingly entertaining looking "Shazam" trailer, DC might just be getting back into the comic-book movie game!
TonyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:24   #5
TonyG

Just about to leave the office to go watch this. Fingers-crossed it lives up to the decent trailers....
Old 12-12-2018, 21:33   #6
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Its ok. At times it was so camp it reminded me of Flash Gordon for some reason.

He's a big loveable bag of dumb rocks.

And its certainly big loud and looks great.

There seemed a good turnout for the first day and the audience seemed to laugh in the right places, but the problem was that I saw the much better Spiderman just before this, and the majority of story beats had been shown in the excessive amount of trailers I'd seen.
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 10:13   #7
TonyG

Call me insane but I loved it. I totally agree that it is this era's Flash Gordon as it embraces its camp comic-book roots to the max. The 140+ minutes flew by & there was never a dull moment as the action is relentless & in the rare moments of quiet, you have beautiful underwater CGI vistas to admire.

Very impressed with the action as they consist of lengthy one-takes that allow you to admire the choreography & take in the geography of what is happening. Particularly useful for that massive, insane, underwater battle at the end.

My only complaints are for the story which is familiar & hits the usual beats but to be fair, it is faithful to the recent Geoff Johns "New 52" Reboot storyline. The acting was solid throughout & the dialogue had a few chuckles here & there.

Overall, it is comfortably the best post-Nolan, DC movie (yes, even better than the over-rated Wonder Woman) & it sits comfortably beside the best Marvel movies for entertainment value. Against this year's Superhero fare, it is certainly better than Ant-man 2 & miles ahead of the boring Black Panther dull-fest...

Last edited by TonyG; 13-12-2018 at 10:16.
Old 13-12-2018, 13:21   #8
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,558 Times in 1,043 Posts
You're insane My quick letterboxd review:

Damn, this was bad. Right from the start there's just something off here, with the direction of the film almost too in love with its own characters, centering them in frame for these crescendo moments as they strike a pose, fawning over them to an embarrassing degree. It feels extremely amateur which I wasn't expecting, and then it's hindered by a turgid script that insists on beating you over the head with exactly what's happening or what's about to happen. It's hopelessly predictable as a result, but even worse are the motivations and character building. The setup for the manta baddie will have eyes rolling while the romance between the main characters is school playground stuff. Then there's odd things like how multiple scenes are interrupted by the background exploding in on characters, it happens like 3 or 4 times in the first hour!

All of this adds up to a film that fails to make you buy in to the plot, which is a problem when you have characters running around proclaiming they're the "Ocean Master!".

Jason Momoa and Amber Heard just about make it watchable and I do quite like Aquaman's attitude but in a film that's nearly 150mins long that's not enough. I was so bored.

My advice - watch the 5-min extended trailer as it has the only interesting action scene in the film plus some of the more enjoyable lines from the leads. It's a better use of your time and it's free.
kanedaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
cedge (14-12-2018), Ono (16-12-2018)
Old 14-12-2018, 23:33   #9
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Oh boy is this bad, and I say that as someone who liked Man of Steel, BvS, Wonder Woman and even had time for Justice League.

The effects are pretty impressive but as ever with these failed blockbusters it just builds to a big empty CGI battle. Momoa is ok but only really good when the character is being gruff and more like he was in BvS. He is very poorly served by the 'comedy' love stuff. Heard just seems out of her depth at all points, I just don't think she's that good an actress, the only time I can ever remember her being any good was in The Rum Diary.

The script and the endless macguffin saddled lore is painful. It's as if they watched every comic book film and decided that The Green Lantern was the one they should try and copy. Maybe it's just the case that DC's world's just don't work on screen if you're trying to play them straight and not doing your own take on them, as per Nolan and Batman.

I'm no massive MCU fan by a long way. I watch them all at the cinema and often will give them an extra go when they hit streaming but I don't think any one of them is anywhere near close a cinematic classic. Compared to this steaming mess however it's night and day.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Ono (16-12-2018)
Old 15-12-2018, 17:17   #10
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

How is this pile of boring, dreadful CGI laden nonsense at 8.0 on IMDB?!
Arthur Fowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 18:37   #11
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Please remember that if you fancy a super hero film Spider-man into the spider-verse is also out. Its better than Aqua man in every way possible.

Sent from my BAH-W09 using Tapatalk
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
JimDriver2 (16-12-2018)
Old 15-12-2018, 20:25   #12
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

I'll be seeing Spider-man next week.

However I quite enjoyed Aquaman.

A big, dumb, camp comic book movie that was lots of fun. Instantly forgettable sure but at least it was bright and colourful and not dark and dreary like Superman or BvS. And not anywhere as messy and badly put together as Justice League was.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 23:31   #13
Soprano
Walking the line

Saw this 18:30 today with maybe 25 people in the room.

Its very bad. Its a completely by the numbers comic book movie which has no thrills or surprises. Everything is so obvious from the start and full of cringe worthy moments. Very poorly scripted full of scowling panto villains and slow motion nonsense.

Can't say anything good about this at all. This will fade away and be forgotten about
Old 18-12-2018, 17:10   #14
waggett
Trusted User

I enjoyed it at the level of a film of the type starring Dwayne Johnson. No need to buy into any of the related films, which can make stuff like Infinity War somewhat impenetrable to the casual film goer. Happy I went, won't see it twice.
waggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 17:32   #15
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

It's odd, but the DC film about what is often considered their biggest joke of a character was better than basically all of their recent films, including their biggest/best known characters.

I went to see it last night, and there were a few chuckles in the audience and the five of us all enjoyed it quite a lot.
It's no Iron Man, but thankfully it's no Batman Vs Superman either.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 09:01   #16
RCW
XBL - RCW41

Feared the worst, quite enjoyed it, as others have said just big dumb fun.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:21   #17
Taq
Evil Scientist

Finally got around to watching this yesterday and enjoyed it. A bit more light-hearted than the other DC movies.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:22   #18
JimDriver2
Trusted User

The popular response to this film it maybe the most surprising thing I can remember about a blockbuster in years. I saw it on opening night in 70% full screen and was sure it was going to bomb. It felt like it had all the worst excesses of DC (overuse of CGI, elaborate macguffin driven plotting, terrible acting) and was a really poor attempt to do a light touch fun MCU film.

That it's going to make $1 billion worldwide and has got the DC universe in good shape is bonkers.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:28   #19
allan
Trusted User

I haven't even seen it, not really interested and like you am really surprised at how well it's doing, particularly as initial word was that it was a bit crap.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:22   #20
TonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
That it's going to make $1 billion worldwide and has got the DC universe in good shape is bonkers.
When a dull, bland, vastly less entertaining & inferior Superhero movie like Black Panther can make $1.34 Billion worldwide, it is of no surprise to me.

Even a proper dreadful comic-book movie like Venom, can make over $855 million!