Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 16-10-2017, 10:24   #101
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Episode 5:

In possibly my favourite entry so far, we get a far more traditional "episodic" story. A situation develops at the start, complications occur and things are happily resolved by the end (although, Harry Mudd may disagree with that assessment). Although, that final shot was a doozy!

Everything felt like it was working better here than it has previously. The Klingons have been the most difficult thing so far as they slow down the episodes so much, but here we get them speaking English and behaving a lot more like the classic Klingons that Star Trek presented us with for so many years. These guys want to fight and hurt other people, and no religious nonsense is going to get in the way.

This gave us a much more detailed look at a couple of characters. Captain Lorca reveals more and more what kind of person he is. He wants to help people, but he also recognises the sacrifices that may need to be made to do that. It's easy to disagree with his perspective when we hear about the results, and the news that he destroyed his own ship and crew is a lot to take. He's also extremely intelligent and perceptive, and he has no qualms about people paying the price for what they've done. Rainn Wilson's portrayal of Harry Mudd isn't too far removed from the Original Series character, but he also managed to put his own spin on it. Maybe it was just due to the quite horrible situation he was trapped in, but this Mudd was more serious while being no less selfish. Still, I don't know if I agree with Lorca leaving him there.

More compelling to me was the different side we see of Saru. It felt like his desire to be an effective captain (going as far as researching the traits of Starfleet legends) began to override his more natural decision making. The debate over the use of the Tardigrade was exactly the Star Trek storytelling we've been waiting for, but at the same time the context here made it kind of one-sided. Placing Saru on the side of using the creature made him seem unsympathetic and cold, and it's only when we realise that he has to make these choices because he believes that saving his captain is the highest goal that we can begin to see why he's doing that.

There was also scientific joy as Stamets uses himself with the jump drive. This is one part of the show that I wasn't quite clicking with, but the more detailed explanations here have made things clearer. As it stands, it seems to me that this method of travel isn't sustainable given the high cost on the user (is Stamets going to be willing to do that again?) and I'm really interested in where it's going to go.

I was also pleasantly surprised to hear the first use of the word "****" in all of Star Trek. Tilly continues to be a delight. Very disappointed to see the online homophobes and bigots crawling out of their holes all over the place, though.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 17-10-2017 at 08:29.
LeftHandedGuitarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 18:16   #102
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

No idea what the final shot was about, Mirror universe?

Weird hearing the f-word in star trek. Also the
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 18:33   #103
Taq
Evil Scientist

Saw episode three, and my main issue is that I don't really like anyone in it - they're either annoying or overly stroppy. The only exception is the tall alien dude, who seems quite good.
Plus it still isn't Star Trek in anything but name. It could be any gritty scifi war show.

I'll stick with it though, perhaps it'll grow on me.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:49   #104
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Not keen on the latest episode. The writing took a nosedive, the Michael Burnham character felt off and it suffered bad editing in these two scenes:

Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 10:22   #105
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Yes, have to agree this was the first episode that felt really clunky & badly edited. I'm still not enjoying anything Klingon-related & as much as I love a good sweary word, their inclusion in this felt off. Was as if someone popped their head into the writing room one day & told them it's ok to swear & they just threw those in there 'coz they can!
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 11:26   #106
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,500 Times in 471 Posts
Not sure why there was a big argument about the Tardigrade. Yes, it's getting weakened every time they jump but there was no indication it's life was in real danger. And given their situation they had no choice to use it.

Oh and Tilly annoys me. Literally a nothing character and just spouts inanities.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 12:19   #107
Ravioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Oh and Tilly annoys me. Literally a nothing character and just spouts inanities.
All the characters are annoying tbh. You'd think that in starfleet the first thing they'd teach you is to obey your commanding officer
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 12:35   #108
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Hard to say it but from a Cadet point of view: Wesley > Tilly

Interesting that the engineer took the decision he did - I was expecting Michael to grab the goop following her dream. She still might I guess.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 16:21   #109
Taq
Evil Scientist

Anyone else find the Klingon language really annoying? Like a cat hacking up a furball. I'm sure it never used to be that bad, or they did the sensible thing and say about three words before switching to English

Oh and Michal's roommate reminds me of the alien bloke in Galaxy Quest.

Last edited by Taq; 17-10-2017 at 16:22.
Taq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 18:14   #110
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Not seen episodes 3 to 5 yet but it did look like the Klingon actors had trouble speaking with the fake teeth. They were over pronouncing every word.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 19:03   #111
alsemail
Bibble....

Not that I speak Klingon, but are they even speaking the same language?

It just sounds so different. I don't remember hearing a Ka-Pla etc.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 20:03   #112
Taq
Evil Scientist

I have a Klingon dictionary upstairs, oddly enough.
Old 17-10-2017, 20:08   #113
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,175 Times in 830 Posts
I said this a while ago, just didn't seem to be the same language. They seemed more like they were about to make an attack on Helms Deep.

Have to admit I've not yet bothered to watch the 3rd episode onwards, not exactly desperate to do so.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 20:35   #114
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

/waits for nudity to kick in.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 07:58   #115
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ono View Post
/waits for nudity to kick in.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 09:37   #116
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 11:27   #117
Taq
Evil Scientist

Up to date with ep5 now. Oooh, swearing. How edgy
Surely everyone could work out the doc and the engineer were in a relationship from their first conversation the other week? I've not read about the internet backlash because I can't really be bothered going through a load of anti-gay hate (it's, 2017, grow up everyone).
I did like the ethical dilemma about the alien though.
We've not heard anything from the other original survivor so far apart from 'shields up' so it would be good to expand them a bit.
Old 18-10-2017, 11:34   #118
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Agreed, I'd like something out of the bot person too, but all we've had so far are reaction shots. We've not seen any conference room scenes which usually allow these extras to speak, but I somehow don't think debate goes very far on this ship.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 15:58   #119
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
Anyone else find the Klingon language really annoying? Like a cat hacking up a furball. I'm sure it never used to be that bad, or they did the sensible thing and say about three words before switching to English

Oh and Michal's roommate reminds me of the alien bloke in Galaxy Quest.
I don't mind the language it's.............the............speed..........or.........lack.........thereof.........in..........which.........speak........it

I find myself mentally screaming "Just spit the ******* thing out"
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 18:07   #120
Taq
Evil Scientist

Indeed, it slows everything down to a snail's pace.