Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 22-05-2014, 07:46   #21
Werdna007
Trusted User

I remember seeing this film many years ago in the cinema on it's original release.
It was the first time I was witness to the cinema crowd reaction (when Jonathan E gets his "revenge" for what happened to Moonpie)

The whole cinema crowd cheered and clapped (which I found a bit odd at the time, cheering to an image on a screen)

I find it a fine film, and the analysis in this thread are a very good. Thanks for the good read guys.
Werdna007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 17:34   #22
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

It is easy to dislike the corporate party scene in the film, not the least because of the climactic tree-burnign sequence. When I first saw the film, I barely noticed the party, was shocked by the tree-burning and felt the entire sequence was intrusive and unncecessary. But now I have done a 360-degree turn. The close-up of the blank, drug-hazed faces during the dancing and the hideous grinners during the tree-burning (the effect being maximised by slightly distorting the faces through wide-angle close-ups) reflects the decadent underbelly of their society as nothing else does. Even the 70s style mannerisms of the partygoers somehow fits in with the atmosphere.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 21:41   #23
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I wonder if you'd get away with destroying trees like that in a film onscreen now? Can't think of any recent examples of wanton nature destroying; the irony being that a film in the 70s did something to show us how decadent society becomes in 2018 wheras now we're actually almost there, you couldnt even film it.

I dunno. It makes my head hurt.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 05:24   #24
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Even in the less eco-aware 70s, the tree destruction was meant to cause upset in the audience and dislike the decadent perpetrators. It worked then, but today that scene seems far more disturbing.

But such scenes are still being filmed if the storyline demands it. Remember the gut-wrenching slow destruction of "Home Tree" in 2012?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:22   #25
Marv
Friday the 13th

Coming now from Arrow on 23rd of March with a few more extras but looses the 5.1 audio,

Quote:
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the film from a digital transfer prepared by MGM Studios
Original Stereo 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
Isolated Music and Effects Soundtrack
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

Audio Commentary with director Norman Jewison
Audio Commentary with writer William Harrison
Blood Sports with James Caan – A brand-new interview with the Rollerball star
The Fourth City: Shooting Rollerball in Munich – Unit manager Dieter Meyer and others revisit the Audi Dome and other original locations
The Bike Work: Craig R. Baxley on the Motorcycle Stunts in Rollerball – Stunt artist Baxley on the challenges and dangers of being one of the Rollerball bikers
Return to the Arena: The Making of Rollerball
From Rome to Rollerball: The Full Circle – original EPK bringing together interviews and on-set footage
Original Theatrical Trailer
Theatrical Teaser
TV Spots
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, illustrated with original archive stills and posters.

Last edited by Marv; 03-01-2015 at 12:24.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 19:35   #26
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

I know it won't matter to most, but that Arrow cover "art" is hideous. I am glad that I got the TT release, which is Region Free anyway.
Old 03-01-2015, 19:57   #27
Marv
Friday the 13th

All arrow release have the original art work on the reverse side
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 17:02   #28
RomerojpgX
Dead

I think that coverart is great, lovely old style look to it. Have not seen the film in 20 years, disliked it when I saw it as a young un. But times chance

Will pick it up when it hits a fiver in the sales like all pretty much Arrow Blu Rays go down to.
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 23:45   #29
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog

I've just reviewed the new Rollerball BR, print looks and sounds amazing - the 5.1 is still there, along with the original mono.

Arrow have included some 45 minutes of really interesting new HD documentaries, including an interview with Caan, as well as porting everything over from the MGM releases, including both commentaries.

Review with full HD screencaps - Rollerball review