Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 19:40   #1
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

US- UK Same transfers?

More often than not it's easier to find reviews of us discs than the same title in the UK. So, can someone tell me which studios release the same transfers worldwide, and which ones are likely to differ (Us/UK)?
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 19:47   #2
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris21 View Post
More often than not it's easier to find reviews of us discs than the same title in the UK. So, can someone tell me which studios release the same transfers worldwide, and which ones are likely to differ (Us/UK)?
I think it might be more a case of different studios holding copyrights in the US and the UK, for example the two different studios who released the US and the UK versions of the Watchmen on Blu-Ray.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 20:11   #3
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Paramount tend to re-use the same video encodes, sometimes to the detriment of the product because they'll leave out extra features (like the Ricardo Montalban tribute on Wrath of Khan, or everything in the case of Chinatown!) and original audio to squeeze in more language tracks.

Disney will also use the same video at the expense of the audio, occasionally giving us DTS-HD High Res instead of lossless (see Pirates 4 & John Carter) so they can fit in more languages.

Warners generally produce one version for the whole wide world.

Fox are also going down the 'one size' route more often these days.

Universal use different disc encodes for the US and worldwide, the video is generally the same but audio can sometimes take a minor hit, e.g. the DTS stereo track on Jaws was downgraded from 768kbps to 448 (I think). And they tend to use player generated subtitles (for on-screen idents and whatnot) on their international discs, which I hate.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote