Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 23-03-2013, 06:14   #21
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
Would we have as many fantastic Eureka/MOC discs if they had to compete with Criterion, I wonder? It's just as annoying for the yanks as most of their discs are Region B.
The joint Criterion/MOC titles I can recall off the top of my head were all released by MOC first, so maybe that would be the other way around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
If you want Criterion blu ray releases that badly, get a multi-region blu ray player - I just did a search on Amazon UK with the term 'multi-region blu-ray player' and the very first page brings up 5 different players that will play zone A, B and C and all are under £260.
The multiregion Pioneer BDP-150 for £150 isn't a bad deal, but I wouldn't fork out £200 or more for those multiregion Toshiba players (2300 & 3200).
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 11:01   #22
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I had a Pioneer as my last but one and they're fantastic, solid machines; a cut above most players I've had. Good CD players too. That looks like the 3D updated version of mine, I'd snap it up if I didn't have one.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 14:21   #23
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
I had a Pioneer as my last but one and they're fantastic, solid machines; a cut above most players I've had. Good CD players too. That looks like the 3D updated version of mine, I'd snap it up if I didn't have one.
You can pay too much for these things without realising you didn't need to. You could spring for what you didn't realise was a near top-of-the-range deck with full bells and whistles needed for people with heavy-duty, hulking great 120 ft screens when all you wanted was to be able to play a Blu-Ray back off your tiny little 26 " two channel stereo LCD TV when the kids were fast alseep.

Because nobody pointed out you could not only have saved yourself money which could have been spent on a new sofa for the wife but you still get to watch Blu-Ray movies as well, with a PQ as good as anyone else's.

Last edited by bosque; 23-03-2013 at 14:23.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 14:30   #24
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
You can pay too much for these things without realising you didn't need to. You could spring for what you didn't realise was a near top-of-the-range deck with full bells and whistles needed for people with heavy-duty, hulking great 120 ft screens when all you wanted was to be able to play a Blu-Ray back off your tiny little 26 " two channel stereo LCD TV when the kids were fast alseep.

Because nobody pointed out you could not only have saved yourself money which could have been spent on a new sofa for the wife but you still get to watch Blu-Ray movies as well, with a PQ as good as anyone else's.
It's not top of the range, it looks like a stripped back version of the 450. (based on a glance at the page). You're paying the extra for the region code thing, seems to go for about £80 otherwise. A bargain (ish).

Seems to come without some of the net capabilities of other players which is fine in my book as I'd never use those.
Old 23-03-2013, 15:48   #25
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:

Seems to come without some of the net capabilities of other players which is fine in my book as I'd never use those.
Exactamundo
Old 24-03-2013, 09:10   #26
danielzavitz
is back

I've got a panasonic 120, actually plays some criterions with a workaround, and I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get the region free firmware, but you can get it for £60 if you wanted it tomorrow.

That said, if you're balking at the price of the player then perhaps criterion isn't for you, even if the discs were region free they still wouldn't be cheap! I've paid more for criterion titles than I have for anything else in years, for example I just paid about £25 for The Killing, which is more than I paid for the entire Kubrick box set of his later films!
danielzavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 09:29   #27
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielzavitz View Post
I've got a panasonic 120, actually plays some criterions with a workaround, and I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get the region free firmware, but you can get it for £60 if you wanted it tomorrow.

That said, if you're balking at the price of the player then perhaps criterion isn't for you, even if the discs were region free they still wouldn't be cheap! I've paid more for criterion titles than I have for anything else in years, for example I just paid about £25 for The Killing, which is more than I paid for the entire Kubrick box set of his later films!
Yeah, Heaven's Gate was £30 for one disc ! and On The Waterfront was priced the same. But they are terrific movies so what you gonna do ? Ghostbusters ??
Old 24-03-2013, 11:11   #28
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I didn't mind £30 for On The Waterfront - I've never owned it before and I doubt I'll need to buy it again. Otherwise, Barnes and Noble sales are the best way to buy them, I find.
Old 24-03-2013, 11:16   #29
Shingster
Trusted User

Yup, Barnes & Noble have pretty much ensured that I haven't had to pay more than £20 for 90% of my criterion titles (usually average around £16-£17 per title in their sales).

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielzavitz View Post
Surely direct from the source at firmwareinfo.com is your cheapest option? I don't think he charges much for his firmware.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 13:29   #30
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I'm the same, and B&N are great for picking up boxsets that normally cross the budget threshold. I think that Shoah will nicely arrive in time for the July/Aug sale.
Old 24-03-2013, 13:46   #31
DrVenkman
Formerly GrossePointeJack

The Criterion website also had 50% off all their Blu-ray's recently too, which was a pain.

But yeah, Criterion have made it clear that the region coding isn't their requirement, but they wouldn't be able to license the films without it so they have to do it.
It's quality. You can well imagine it hangin about with R2-D2. And when the fan is switched on it looks like it's scanning for life-forms like R2-D2 does on the ice world of Hoth when Luke Skywalker goes missing. Quality in moton. The other day it disappeared. I said, "where's the bag-l gone? have the jawas come to pick it up in the sandcrawler?" to which one of the girls in the office replied, "No, Les the porter!" —Captainchode
DrVenkman is offline   Reply With Quote