Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 18-11-2009, 23:00   #21
Guest 24882
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
Galaxy Quest.

There are no crass jokes, no vomiting, no nudity, they don’t make fun of anyone – no, it’s warm-hearted, affectionate, oddly touching, and very, very funny.
Sigourney does clearly drop an F Bomb at one point which is dubbed over though!
Agreed though, one of my favourite films of the last 10 years, and the blu is excellent.

Started watching the US release of Star Wars: Clone Wars S1.
Utter revelation compared to the tv broadcast. It looks stunning. Shame about the bog standard DD5.1 though.
Something must be said about the packaging too. US version is a glorious embossed metallic hardcover digipack, with the discs on trays on the inside covers and an art book bound inbetween them.
The UK release is in a standard blu case, with the art book bound seperately and enclosed in a thin card sleeve. Which isnt embossed.
Guest 24882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 08:37   #22
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Galaxy Quest.
Agreed, it's a superb film, very funny & a great disc to boot.

I never saw it theatrically, but according to some other threads elsewhere, the cinema release was 1.85:1 for about 20 minutes or so, then changed to 2.35:1 (or thereabouts) - this isn't replicated on the BD though; I suppose the effect would be lost on most TVs.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 23:21   #23
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel View Post
Agreed, it's a superb film, very funny & a great disc to boot.

I never saw it theatrically, but according to some other threads elsewhere, the cinema release was 1.85:1 for about 20 minutes or so, then changed to 2.35:1 (or thereabouts) - this isn't replicated on the BD though; I suppose the effect would be lost on most TVs.
It's a pity that they haven't brought the ratio switch back for the Blu version, as I think it's quite an effective device. It worked very well in Enchanted, which has the switch perfectly preserved on Blu.

Galaxy Quest with the proper swearing (not just the F word but also "You are so full of IT, man!" at the beginning of the movie) and the AR switch would be the perfect version. As it is, we'll have to make do with 99%.

Mine's on the way, I can't wait! Although I have got a bajillion other Blus that I really should watch first.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 19-11-2009 at 23:22.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 23:59   #24
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Okay, here's the deal. Like others here and elsewhere, I read the Beaver's "review" of The 39 Steps, which was not very good, saying that the telecine operator could have done better. And elsewhere there have been "disgruntled" buyers complaining. And here, in a nutshell, is yet another case where people simply do not know whereof they speak. I say this: If this exact same transfer had been issued by Criterion, people would a) be very happy, and b) be excusing its flaws. So let's get some things clear - first of all, this is miles better than the Criterion DVD, which had much worse "damage" (damage meaning what the wags call "debris" and "marks" as if that means anything). Secondly, this is much sharper and actually the contrast, which the Beaver complains about, is very good. In other words, a disc that people have been avoiding like the plague because of the armchair experts, is actually quite nice and about as good as this film has ever looked in any home video medium. Could it be better? Certainly not in the transfer - perhaps there is better source material somewhere, although the film is seventy-four years old so really, who knows what's out there. As it stands, it's a very nice disc and a terrific movie and I cannot imagine any Hitchcock fan who is not swayed by others' non-informed opinions, not enjoying this Blu-Ray. So, instead of hurling brickbats at ITV, I offer them congratulations on a job well done with whatever their element was. I've seen 35mm prints that look about on a par with this release - certainly its yards better than my old 16mm print.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 02:14   #25
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Really? See, this is the most useful thread ever. I've only ever seen 39 Steps on a very scratchy VHS so am sure this is better, but, yet, I was put off by the reviews. Might give it a go now.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 02:19   #26
Captain_Howdy666
Made of 100% pure awesome

39 Steps, is it region free?
Old 20-11-2009, 02:23   #27
Guest 53019
Trusted User

I'll go one better now that I've just finished the whole thing - I give it a hearty recommendation, and anyone who thinks this is a subpar transfer doesn't really know anything about film. I'm told they used a fine-grain print that is apparently the best source on this title (I'm told Criterion also used a fine-grain for their DVD, but this is MUCH cleaner and MUCH sharper than that thing, even when it's upscaled). This Blu-Ray is actually really sharp for a film of this vintage. As I said, it's never looked this good on any home video release and again if this same transfer had the name Criterion on it with their usual box hyperbole, the armchair experts would be dancing a jig. And what a wonderful movie.
Old 20-11-2009, 02:24   #28
Guest 53019
Trusted User

I believe 39 Steps is Region B - I just got the lovely Momitsu 799 and have been enjoying all these Region B releases.
Old 20-11-2009, 02:28   #29
Captain_Howdy666
Made of 100% pure awesome

Bugger. Somedays having a US PS3 blows
Old 20-11-2009, 13:18   #30
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
the armchair experts
And what are you then?
Aardvark_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 18:12   #31
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Someone who knows more than the armchair experts, that's who I am. Someone who has actually worked in the entertainment industry (forty years now), someone who had one of the biggest film collections in the country, both 35mm and 16mm (there was a time when I had one of the only surviving 35mm IB Tech prints of Vertigo in primo condition), and I am not a teenager or someone who has only seen classics at home on TV or on video, which is what most of the armchair experts are - they read things on the Internet, pick up these ridiculous phrases and act like they know what they're talking about - I was a "movie child" - started going to the movies at least twice a week in 1954, which really kept up until the 1990s when I became truly disinterested in American cinema, save for a handful of releases. While I can only offer opinions from my perspective that perspective is at least based on knowledge and viewing and owning. The armchair experts' opinions (just read what they have to say about The 39 Steps - although that's not the worst of it) are based on the Internet. Certain of them never saw a classic film before the advent of DVD. I hope I have provided some enlightenment for you, and before you try to take this to the usual place, don't.
Old 20-11-2009, 19:59   #32
Niceguygeoff

Was having a humour bypass part of your extensive education in film, haines? You're like an evil Robert A. Harris.
Old 20-11-2009, 22:42   #33
Guest 53019
Trusted User

A humour bypass? You are joking, aren't you? I'm one of the FEW on this or any other board with an actual sense of humour, boyo, and I've been making a nice living with it for forty years, boyo. But we knew one of you would take this to the usual place - congrats that it was you - typical. Now, back to the subject at hand - you know, Blu-Rays.

Last edited by haineshisway; 20-11-2009 at 23:29.
Old 20-11-2009, 23:35   #34
Guest 47807
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
Was having a humour bypass part of your extensive education in film, haines? You're like an evil Robert A. Harris.
That's the sort of reaction you get from people who hate to think that someone might actually know a lot more than the armchair experts.
Guest 47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 23:44   #35
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
A humour bypass? You are joking, aren't you? I'm one of the FEW on this or any other board with an actual sense of humour, boyo, and I've been making a nice living with it for forty years, boyo.
And you sure showed it there. He shoots, he scores!

haines, Douglas; in all seriousness, I know nothing compared to the proper experts, and I knows it. I just don't dig the high-and-mighty attitudes, because they're just not needed.

As I inferred above, people like RAH manage to impart their wealth of knowledge whilst being open and friendly. Others do it in such a drearily didactic manner it's like being talked down to by the headmaster.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 20-11-2009 at 23:45.
Old 21-11-2009, 01:00   #36
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
And you sure showed it there. He shoots, he scores!

haines, Douglas; in all seriousness, I know nothing compared to the proper experts, and I knows it. I just don't dig the high-and-mighty attitudes, because they're just not needed.

As I inferred above, people like RAH manage to impart their wealth of knowledge whilst being open and friendly. Others do it in such a drearily didactic manner it's like being talked down to by the headmaster.
I have never, I hope, imparted information in a dreary, didactic manner, whatever that is. I just call it as I see it. And unless people come after me for the very reasons that are happening in this very thread, I try to do it in a friendly and open manner - which is why I started this thread, frankly. And, as I said in another thread where Mr. Harris was being rather raked over the coals, nobody is acting high and mighty - that's all attributed by others and is in their own minds. Someone came on here and asked me what made me better than an armchair expert. Now, there's no real way to explain that without saying what I had to say. I didn't say it snottily, didn't stick out my tongue like a twelve-year-old - I just stated the facts. Everything from anyone is just an opinion. I respect, like, and know RAH - do we always agree? No. Do we both have knowledge and speak from a position of knowledge - sure. Do the people I call armchair experts, these people who speak of transfers without any knowledge of what the film actually should look like and who make pronouncements in print as if they were facts, speak from a position of knowledge? No. Most, but not all, of the reviewers on various sites are very young and came to adulthood in the video era. And most of the people doing the loudest complaining about things like The 39 Steps just have no idea what they're talking about. It does a great disservice to ITV to have those sorts of uninformed comments all over the place - when ITV or anyone else really screws up, yes, let's all call them on it. But in this case, the "experts" are wrong. Very wrong.
Old 21-11-2009, 01:56   #37
Richie
Trusted User

So who are you then haineshw and what are your credentials? I do think we deserve to know if your opinion is to have the weight you suggest it should have. Fess up!
"worked in the entertainment industry (forty years now)" could mean anything from running a major film studio to being a successful or failed actor or someone who simply works the door of a titty bar in some dusty backwater! All of them are technically "entertainment industry" jobs but only a few of them will make someone an expert in the field of film prints, handling, storage, restoration, preservation and exhibition!

Also, you really shouldn't be so readily dismissive of what you call rather condescendingly call "armchair experts"; it's not their fault that they are much, much, much younger than you and certainly not their fault that a HUGE number of films were totally unavailable for viewing in any form until the dvd revolution made it all possible for them (hell, even the boom days of vhs in the 80s and 90s didn't have as many titles available to view so easily world-wide)! Also the chances are that at least a few of these people you dismiss actually work with film and digital materials in dvd and blu-ray authoring and replication, film and tv post-prodution, theatrical and home presentation technology etc. but you don't seem to entertain such a notion and assume they know nothing. To be fair, owning a film print or even a whole library of same isn't what makes one an expert.

You do often come across as rather pompous and with absolutely no sense of humour but I guess that's entirely my own fault for not knowing exactly what you're thinking and feeling when you type your posts!

Everyone knows RAH's credentials and track record (I am generally a huge admirer of what he's done for film restoration and preservation but I can still freely say I think the audio work on Vertigo was horribly misguided, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it) but as you seem to equate yourself with him perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us plebs with exactly what qualifies you? I really don't think that's too much to ask. Thanks
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 03:30   #38
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Okay, I admit it - I've spent forty years working in a titty bar. If those aren't credentials then I don't know what.

And I beg to differ with you that owning a print of a film and therefore having knowledge of what that film looked like originally doesn't make one at least more knowledgeable than those who haven't seen a print projected anywhere. And none of the armchair experts I'm speaking of have anything to do with film or authoring and I think you know that. No, I think you came here to do the same as nice guy geoff - to get personal, for it is your post that reeks (and I do mean reeks) of condescension. I won't play that game with you. I'll just continue to post my opinions and those who wish can read them. My suggestion to you is - don't read them. And if I come across as someone with no sense of humor, well, a simple perusal of most threads here will tell you the "humor" level. Start with the It's A Wonderful Life thread, for example. Real humor, there. A smiley face.

As I said earlier, back to the discussion at hand, and no amount of you trying to goad me will get me to go where you'd like me to go - so, stick to the discussion or go post elsewhere. The End. Another smiley face.

Last edited by haineshisway; 21-11-2009 at 03:35.
Old 21-11-2009, 04:49   #39
Richie
Trusted User

I just wanted to know what makes you an actual expert rather than just another one of the "armchair experts" you belittle so freely? It's obviously not something you will answer so therefore none of your opinions carry any critical weight. Anyone reading your posts has to take your word for it that you know what you're talking about and as it's something you keep saying I just think you should back it up a little. That's all.
There's no goading on my part and I'm not trying to "get personal", I simply want to know where your opinions are coming from and what makes them more critically accurate than anyone else posting on forums like this. You can't state that you're speaking from an experienced and expert point of view and not expect people to question it.
I'm sorry you have a problem with my use of smilies, I simply included them to try and keep my post light but I guess I failed.
Quote:
And none of the armchair experts I'm speaking of have anything to do with film or authoring and I think you know that.
No, I don't know it and neither do you because you never bother to ask, you just presume. If you yourself have nothing to do with "film or authoring" then your opinion carries no more weight than theirs.

What irks me is that just because you say that because you've "seen 35mm prints that look about on a par with this release", you presume that it should for some reason be taken as an authoritative opinion without you ever having to back up such statements with any sort of background so that people know from what level of expertise your opinions come from.

I'm sorry if you can't or won't entertain the idea.

Last edited by Richie; 21-11-2009 at 04:50.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 05:51   #40
Guest 53019
Trusted User

I'm not playing, sorry. You're a typical Internet type and it's a bore, frankly. If you don't understand that owning and viewing a 35mm print of a film gives one knowledge and rather excellent knowledge of what that film LOOKS LIKE, as opposed to someone who has only seen a film on TV or on video or on DVD, then I cannot help you further. As to whether my opinion carries weight or not, I don't really care. I just state it and people can take it for what it's worth. If it's worth nothing to you, don't read the posts. Seems simple to me. Want to discuss a Blu-Ray, fine. Otherwise, I see no reason to respond to any further postings that are clearly designed to inflame. And no armchair expert that I've read on any chat board works in authoring - I don't need to ask. If they were in authoring or knew anything about film then they wouldn't write such incorrect things as they do - The 39 Steps being a perfect example. I know many people who are in the business of doing transfers, including Mr. Harris, who knows me well, and, guess what - respects my opinions because he knows that I know a little bit about of that which I speak. The End. Smiley face.