Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 19:43   #41
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Rubbish. As has been pointed out. People with ISF-calibrated displays are saying the BD looks the same as the HDnet cap. It's just the numpty who has captured the shots from the BD who has made them look ****.

I don't care either way as I will be waiting for a US release for my US player, but it is ridiculous to use pictures on the internet to form an argument either way.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 19:46   #42
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark_DK View Post
... What?
You aren't really as deluded as you make out are you? Surely someone like yourself, who refuses to even watch a movie unless it has the correct grain quotient, understands the effect improperly calibrated black and white levels will have on an image?

You could make the most detailed image in the world look like toilet, if you turned the brightness all the way down to crush shadow detail, and turned the whites up to bloom-tastic levels.

Perhaps I gave you too much credit before...
Old 12-08-2008, 19:55   #43
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Rubbish. As has been pointed out. People with ISF-calibrated displays are saying the BD looks the same as the HDnet cap. It's just the numpty who has captured the shots from the BD who has made them look ****.
Sorry it doesn't. I honestly thought most of this BD looked like I was watching an upscaled DVD when I watched it.

Those grabs of the BD are spot on what it looks like, lacking in detail compared to the HDnet caps.

Last edited by thescrounger; 12-08-2008 at 19:56.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 20:10   #44
LouBarlow
Retired Member

No offence, but I'll take the opinion of someone with an ISF-calibrated projector over yours.
Old 12-08-2008, 20:12   #45
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
No offence, but I'll take the opinion of someone with an ISF-calibrated projector over yours.

I have one. Frankly anybody that thinks this is a good HD transfer should sell their collection and stick with DVD.

And Lou, whether or not it's actually an upscale or just a bad HD master that was used, nobody but nobody seems to be praising the quality of this release at all. There's no dispute that the HDnet caps show that a superior quality transfer exists for this film, and it aint on this disc.

So no offence, but get a clue.

Last edited by thescrounger; 12-08-2008 at 20:29.
Old 12-08-2008, 20:26   #46
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
Rubbish. As has been pointed out. People with ISF-calibrated displays are saying the BD looks the same as the HDnet cap.
You mean on the AV Forums? I noticed one who said that it looks better than DVD, which isn't much of an endorsement.

Quote:
but it is ridiculous to use pictures on the internet to form an argument either way.
But it is perfectly sensible to use opinions from anonymous strangers to do the same?

Look, I'm not saying that those screen-grabs (you don't think they're pictures of a TV surely?) are the end-all, but combined with the sentiments expressed in this thread I think it's a pretty clear indication that the BD is fairly crap.
Aardvark_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 20:45   #47
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

I had it. I watched it. I then compared it to my upscaled DVD. The Blu-ray disc PQ was a little better than the DVD, but not much. I then sold it.

I've now seen the comparison photos (on the earlier page of this thread) and agree that the non-Blu-ray (can I do that? Hyphenate an already hyphenated word?) looks crap in comparison.
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 21:18   #48
LouBarlow
Retired Member

That's fair LOTD. There are many BD's out there that offer bare improvements over their DVD counterparts. Taking a recent example, 'Harold & Kumar' is a very bare improvement on the DVD release, yet we don't get the questioning of New Line's sourcing on that one, despite that being only a few years old - was that one upscaled?!!!111

It seems that John Carpenter's fans like getting their knickers in a twist over movies (see the Halloween BD debacle)
Old 12-08-2008, 21:38   #49
thescrounger
Trusted User

Probably because it's Harold and Kumar. Hardly a cinema classic.
Old 13-08-2008, 07:04   #50
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
Taking a recent example, 'Harold & Kumar' is a very bare improvement on the DVD release, yet we don't get the questioning of New Line's sourcing on that one, despite that being only a few years old - was that one upscaled?!!!111
It's not that important whether or not it's upscaled, it's important that Optimum have released a sub-par disc. Not that it matters: we should all just stop talking about picture quality and enjoy the movies.
Old 13-08-2008, 13:34   #51
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Not at all. We should be discussing sub-par discs and I'm not arguing against EFNY being a bad disc as I've not even seen it yet!

I just brought into question the validity of the pictures posted. I prefer to take the opinion of someone with a properly calibrated set-up on the merits of said disc, rather than base my opinion from two anonymous screengrabs posted on the internet.

I will be checking it myself this weekend, as one of my mates has a UK PS3 and is going to pick up a copy. I will report back my 'true' opinion then
Old 13-08-2008, 15:26   #52
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
I prefer to take the opinion of someone with a properly calibrated set-up on the merits of said disc
For all we know he could also be one who thinks that the Scary Movie and The Longest Day BDs look fantastic, which, in my book, would invalidate any opinion he has about... well, pretty much anything. He might be one who has extremely low standards and thinks that ALL HD discs of any kind are totally amazing. He might be as blind as that Leonard bloke over at DVD Beaver. He probably isn't and doesn't, but still... The point is: I have no idea who he is.

Of course, the guy who did the screengrabs might have used different settings for each capture. I have no idea why he'd do that though.
Old 13-08-2008, 23:32   #53
THX
Trusted User

looks like optimum have also ballsed up the cliffhanger blu ray it appears that the front 2 channels have been reversed. OH! DEAR what next
THX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 07:48   #54
Aardvark_DK

Whiggles confirms that the Escape from New York transfer is crap.
Old 18-08-2008, 08:13   #55
CLH
La Bender

He's a DVD Times reviewer isn't he?
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 11:46   #56
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
He's a DVD Times reviewer isn't he?
Sometimes, I think. He's also done loads of HD captures and seems very reliable.

Last edited by Aardvark_DK; 18-08-2008 at 11:46. Reason: tyops
Old 18-08-2008, 16:11   #57
RomerojpgX
Dead

Heres a better method to show how pathetic the Blu Ray is, in fact in a few caps it looks worse when compared directly. The only difference is compression is a tiny, tiny bit better in very small areas and obviously the contrast and colours and pumped up which makes them lovely edge enhancement lines clearer on Blu.

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl..._from_new_york

Still I would rather not keep such a turd, if thats a HD upgrade then I dont want upgrades anymore Dont think I have seen such a dire Blu Ray to DVD transfer.

Just keep the classy old dvd and pump up the colour and contrast, you know it makes sense.
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 13:38   #58
simong
I'm taking it back!

This is finally getting a re-master from Scream Factory in the US and will be released on the 21st of April. Full specs are:
  • NEW 2K High Definition scan of the inter-positive, struck from the original negative
  • NEW Audio Commentary with actress Adrienne Barbeau and directory of photography Dean Cundey
  • Audio Commentary with director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
  • Audio Commentary by producer Debra Hill and production designer Joe Alves
  • NEW Big Challenges in Little Manhattan: The Visual Effects of Escape From New York
  • NEW Scoring the Escape: A Discussion with composer Alan Howarth
  • NEW On Set with John Carpenter: The Images of Escape From New York with photographer Kim Gottlieb-Walker
  • NEW I Am Taylor – an interview with actor Joe Unger
  • NEW My Night on the Set – an interview with filmmaker David DeCoteau
  • Deleted Scene: The Original Opening Bank Robbery Sequence
  • Return to Escape from New York Featurette
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • Photo Galleries – Behind-the-Scenes, Posters and Lobby Cards

I think Scream releases at locked to Region A though and no word on a UK release yet. Fortunately I'm multi-region
Old 21-02-2015, 16:00   #59
allan
Trusted User

Seems strange to do a remaster and only do it in 2k, not very future proof.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 12:36   #60
Marv
Friday the 13th

Shout would'nt have the money to do it in 4K. Company's like Criterion split the cost of their remaster with other distributers around the world so they can afford to do the odd 4K scan.