Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 23-07-2007, 17:52   #21
Guest 56272
Trusted User

MoviesUnlimited is listing THE ANNIVERSARY (68) for release on Sept. 10th. Seems like the same release currently available...

Last edited by CinéKarine; 23-07-2007 at 17:56.
Guest 56272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 17:56   #22
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Looks like a re-release even though the Anchor Bay version is still available?
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 20:10   #23
Guest 155
Trusted User

Network have the 1971 British thriller All Coppers Are... out on 20 August.

An oddity is the 1980 Australian children's film Fatty Finn, which has just been passed by the BBFC. I don't know when it's out, and the distributor is Showbox, which I'm not familiar with. The BBFC listing says "full-frame", so we should no doubt expect an open-matte and/or non-anamorphic transfer.
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 21:57   #24
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

When the full anouncement is made, it'll probably get it's own thread, meanwhile DVD Savant says:

Warners just announced a promising-sounding Burt Lancaster The Signature Collection boxed set for October 23: The Flame and the Arrow, His Majesty O'Keefe, Jim Thorpe - All American, South Sea Woman and the JFK conspiracy film Executive Action.
Old 24-07-2007, 00:46   #25
Guest 56272
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson View Post
When the full anouncement is made, it'll probably get it's own thread, meanwhile DVD Savant says:

Warners just announced a promising-sounding Burt Lancaster The Signature Collection boxed set for October 23: The Flame and the Arrow, His Majesty O'Keefe, Jim Thorpe - All American, South Sea Woman and the JFK conspiracy film Executive Action.
Oh my goodness, another must have for me!!!! I love every one of these films!!!
Old 24-07-2007, 08:16   #26
Guest 58711
Trusted User

Brilliant! Burt and Barbara Signature Collections in October, and no duplication with whats already been released. Absolute must haves.
Guest 58711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 11:24   #27
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

DVD Times on The Graduate (40th Anniversary Edition) (R1) in September
Old 26-07-2007, 14:28   #28
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I don't recall seeing this mentioned anywhere, but as it's an R2 HMV Exclusive, that might not be so strange:

Gene Kelly sang and danced his way into the hearts of millions in the forties and fifties. He choreographed many of his own dance routines and left a legacy of classic musicals that still captivate audiences around the world today.

Five of his classic movies Singin’ In The Rain, An American In Paris, Anchors Aweigh, On The Town and The Three Musketeers are available together for the first time in THE GENE KELLY COLLECTION DVD boxset which will be released by Warner Home Video exclusiveley to HMV from 25th June.

Born Eugene Curran Kelly in Pennsylvania in 1912, Gene Kelly was enrolled in dance classes by his mother at the age of eight. Although he created dance routines and entered talent contests with his brother, Kelly was keen to contribute to his family’s finances and so graduated from University of Pittsburgh with a degree in Economics. Eventually he made the decision to pursue dance full-time and so moved to New York to find work as a choreographer.

He found success on Broadway in a production of Pal Joey and tempting offers from Hollywood soon followed resulting in his first film For Me And My Gal in 1942. Kelly would go on to become a screen legend with unforgettable performances in An American In Paris, Singin In The Rain, On The Town, and Brigadoon. Kelly was awarded lifetime achievement awards by the Screen Actors Guild and American Film Institute and was also given an Honorary Academy Award in 1983.

SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN (1952)

What a glorious feeling! Gene Kelly’s umbrella-swinging ‘splash’ hit is an ode to joy and to the bumpy era when silent movies became talkies. Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor and Debbie Reynolds star in this restored version of one of Hollywood’s best-loved musicals. Filled with memorable songs, lavish routines and Kelly’s fabulous song and dance number performed in the rain.

Musician Don Lockwood (Kelly) rises to stardom during Hollywood's silent-movie era--paired with the beautiful, jealous and dumb Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen). When Lockwood becomes attracted to young studio singer Kathy Selden (Reynolds), Lamont has her fired. But with the introduction of talking pictures, audiences laugh when they hear Lockwood speak for the first time--and the studio uses Selden to dub her voice.

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (1951)

Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron sing and dance to the music of George and Ira Gershwin in this winner of six Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

When ex-GI Jerry Mulligan (Kelly) remains in Paris to pursue life as an artist, he is discovered by a wealthy patroness interested in more than his art. But Mulligan falls in love with a French shop girl (Caron) who is engaged to his best friend.

ANCHORS AWEIGH (1945)

Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly and Jerry the Mouse star in this charming musical mix of live action and animation. Two sailors (Sinatra and Kelly) in Hollywood looking for glamorous movie starlets find romance, dance with a cartoon mouse and help a young starlet get discovered, all during one shore leave.

ON THE TOWN (1949)

Three sailors, Gabey (Gene Kelly), Chip (Frank Sinatra) and Ozzie (Jules Munshin), are let loose in New York City on a 24 hour leave. On a subway, Gabey sees a poster of "Miss Turnstiles of the Month", a woman named Ivy Smith (Vera-Ellen). Thinking she's a high society girl, the trio spend the day looking for her. Along the way they run into a cab driver, Hilde (Betty Garrett), who is attracted to Chip, and a gorgeous anthropologist named Claire (Ann Miller).

Song highlights include "New York, New York", "A Day In New York," "Main Street," "Prehistoric Man", "You're Awful," "I'm Feeling Like I'm Not Out Of Bed," "Come Up To My Place" and "Count On Me."

THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1948)

To the cry of “all for one and one for all” comes a version of the Alexandre Dumas classic that’s fun for all – a rousing, swashbuckling adaptation that was Gene Kelly’s favorite among his nonmusical movies. Kelly plays country lad D’Artagnan, who comes to Paris with heady ambition and duels his way into the ranks of King Louis XIII’s musketeers. He swashes-and-buckles with brio, bringing to action scenes the virile athleticism that set him apart as a dancer in movie musicals. A top cast – Vincent Price as unctuous Cardinal Richelieu, Lana Turner as villainous Lady de Winter, June Allyson as Constance and Angela Lansbury as Queen Anne – joins Kelly in this exuberant tale, filmed in luscious Technicolor.

Last edited by John Hodson; 26-07-2007 at 14:29.
Old 27-07-2007, 14:19   #29
Guest 56224
Trusted User

O Lucky Man! Special Edition coming October 23, 2007 in R1.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=564574
Guest 56224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 15:41   #30
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

A word of warning from Roobarbs on Universal's R2 Eiger Sanction reissue; while it clearly states on the back of the case it's a 2.35:1 anamorphic, it's the same old non-anamorphic transfer.

Last edited by John Hodson; 29-07-2007 at 15:54.
Old 31-07-2007, 12:24   #31
Guest 56272
Trusted User

DVD Empire is listing Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? : 40th Anniversary Edition for 10-09-07. That's lovely, but I wish Sony would stop re-releasing everything and get on with the classics we haven't seen on DVD yet!

I am amending this post to say this release will be part of Stanley Kramer boxset consisting of the above, SHIP OF FOOLS, THE WILD ONE, THE 5000 FINGERS OF DR. T, and the DVD debut of MEMBER OF THE WEDDING.

Last edited by CinéKarine; 31-07-2007 at 17:55.
Old 04-08-2007, 22:57   #32
Guest 56272
Trusted User

MoviesUnlimited is listing a Warner boxset entitled Leading Ladies Collection vol. 2 for 11/06. Glad to see they are all titles that are NEW to DVD as the first volume was a bunch of already released ones.

It includes (some made after 1980):

I'LL CRY TOMORROW - at long last!!!!!!
GIVE A BIG HAND TO THE LITTLE LADY
SHOOT THE MOON
RICH AND FAMOUS (81)
UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE

All available separately
Old 05-08-2007, 07:13   #33
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinéKarine View Post
. . . the DVD debut of MEMBER OF THE WEDDING.
The only Fred Zinnemann movie I can't get on with. Perhaps it's time to try again. The last attempt was about twenty-five years ago!
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:17   #34
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
MoviesUnlimited is listing a Warner boxset entitled Leading Ladies Collection vol. 2 for 11/06. Glad to see they are all titles that are NEW to DVD as the first volume was a bunch of already released ones.

SHOOT THE MOON
RICH AND FAMOUS (81)
UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE

All available separately
I'd be interested to see all these again, but I'll Cry Tomorrow is the only one I'd watch frequently enough to justify a DVD purchase.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:25   #35
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
I wish Sony would stop re-releasing everything and get on with the classics we haven't seen on DVD yet! . . . this release will be part of Stanley Kramer boxset . . .
Where is Oklahoma Crude? Long overdue on DVD and almost never, if memory serves correctly, shown on television. (I've never seen it on the box.) With that cast, cinematography by Robert Surtees plus one of Henry Mancini's best scores - I have the soundtrack album, on vinyl too, thank you very much - this movie surely has some commercial appeal.

"Send A Little Love My Way" certainly, but send the DVD too!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:12   #36
Guest 155
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCairo View Post
Where is Oklahoma Crude? Long overdue on DVD and almost never, if memory serves correctly, shown on television. (I've never seen it on the box.)
Last shown on British TV in July 1986, as per the BFI database - on ITV in the Thames region.

Does anyone else remember the BBC's "Lost and Found" season (in 1994 - just checked). The premise of the season was to show films that had never been on TV or not for twenty or more years. Films shown included the Val Lewton Ghost Ship, Suddenly, Pursued (1947) and others. A good idea which they've never done again, as there are plenty to choose from. But then we've gone on about British TV programming of classic/foreign films more than once before in this forum...
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:37   #37
Guest 58501
Trusted User

Quote:

SHOOT THE MOON
RICH AND FAMOUS (81)
UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE

All available separately
Thrilled to see Shoot The Moon get a release. Would never have expected it to be part of a box set with Susan Hayward et al titles though! Especially when it's as much about Finney as it is Keaton, and both are fantastic.

I hope Member of the Wedding gets an individual release? I'm not really interested in the whole set - but would also love to see Oklahoma Crude in the future.

Last edited by Mtanner; 05-08-2007 at 08:40.
Guest 58501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:15   #38
Guest 56272
Trusted User

Quote:
Where is Oklahoma Crude? Long overdue on DVD and almost never, if memory serves correctly, shown on television. (I've never seen it on the box.) With that cast, cinematography by Robert Surtees plus one of Henry Mancini's best scores - I have the soundtrack album, on vinyl too, thank you very much - this movie surely has some commercial appeal.

"Send A Little Love My Way" certainly, but send the DVD too!
Yes, a DVD of this movie would a great idea for sure. And I love the music so much!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:19   #39
Guest 56272
Trusted User

Quote:
I'd be interested to see all these again, but I'll Cry Tomorrow is the only one I'd watch frequently enough to justify a DVD purchase.
Ditto here - I hope it will include some extras too! So many actresses wanted that role and there are also unused pre-recordings made by Sandi Ellis for Susan Hayward (already on CD though), before they decided to use her own voice.
Old 06-08-2007, 17:52   #40
Guest 56272
Trusted User

Bits and pieces from the latest MoviesUnlimited Q & A. Whether these predictions come true or not, we shall see sooner or later

We’ve heard about a collection from Fox of Clifton Webb films that would include Stars And Stripes Forever, in which Webb played John Phillip Sousa. However, we just don’t know when it’s going to arrive.

Sony is currently considering putting out Harriet Craig (1950) on a double feature with the earlier version of the story, Craig’s Wife (1936), so you’ll be able to compare whether Crawford or Rosalind Russell rendered the more contemptible character.

Supposedly, Universal is still looking closely at a Claudette Colbert collection, but obviously it will be later rather than sooner.

Supposedly, Kismet with Keel, Ann Blyth, Dolores Gray and Vic Damone, is on a future docket from Warner.