Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 11:00   #1
Guest 10252
indestructible
 
Guest 10252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Leek. Staffs
Posts: 817
Thanks: 18
Thanked 20 Times in 6 Posts
DVD Forum kicks off HD DVD region-coding scheme

Quote:
The DVD Forum, the organisation which oversees the DVD and HD DVD formats, looks set to introduce a region-coding system for the next-generation optical disc technology next year.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10...region_coding/

OO
Guest 10252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 16:48   #2
Dan
Passed away :(
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 18,791
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like i'll be getting one of the region free Toshiba HD-DVD players when they come out next month.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 17:22   #3
LouBarlow
Retired Member
 
LouBarlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 55,655
Thanks: 923
Thanked 979 Times in 620 Posts
I'm all for it frankly, if it means that companies like Disney et al, are persuaded to join the HD-DVD party.

I'm sure it is one of their demands.

Last edited by LouBarlow; 06-10-2006 at 17:22.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 18:23   #4
thescrounger
Trusted User
 
thescrounger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kent
Posts: 19,802
Thanks: 93
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
If it means more studios sign up then I'm for it.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 20:37   #5
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog
 
R-T-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Keighley, UK
Posts: 2,982
Thanks: 35
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Looks like i'll be getting one of the region free Toshiba HD-DVD players when they come out next month.
Is there not a risk that any region coded discs will have RCE style programming and not work in the existing players without a 'firmware update' (which will add region coding to the players)?
__________________
Mondo Esoterica - cult and obscure film and DVD reviews | Flickr Gallery - British motorsports photography and more.
R-T-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 21:00   #6
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence
 
Niceguygeoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Swanage, Dorset
Posts: 10,176
Thanks: 129
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
The risk always lives. I can hold off from BD and HD-DVD until some clever-clogs cracks the region coding. It's bad enough that I can't play alternate region DVDs on the existing machines...
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 21:02   #7
allan
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 13,418
Thanks: 269
Thanked 275 Times in 217 Posts
Surely it just seems a pointless thing other than to appease certain studios?
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 21:10   #8
AndyWilson
--------old-geek
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 11,598
Thanks: 67
Thanked 171 Times in 114 Posts
What's pointless about appeasing studios?

Who's going to buy your players if studios won't release films for them?
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 21:11   #9
allan
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 13,418
Thanks: 269
Thanked 275 Times in 217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson
What's pointless about appeasing studios?

Who's going to buy your players if studios won't release films for them?
I was replying in relation to Loubarlows's comments about studios such as Disney.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 21:29   #10
LouBarlow
Retired Member
 
LouBarlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 55,655
Thanks: 923
Thanked 979 Times in 620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan
I was replying in relation to Loubarlows's comments about studios such as Disney.
Well it's not pointless at all - if HD-DVD get Buena Vista/Disney on board, it is pretty much game-over, as Columbia/Sony will be left as the major sole exclusive contributor to Blu-Ray.

Pretty much every other studio is seeing the light, and coupled with the sale figures, and already emerging dominance of HD-DVD, region coding could be very important.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 21:31   #11
RobDickinson
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 11,334
Thanks: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Its been proved to be pointless on DVD players, its just a pain in the arse and people will get round it one way or another.
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 21:33   #12
LouBarlow
Retired Member
 
LouBarlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 55,655
Thanks: 923
Thanked 979 Times in 620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDickinson
Its been proved to be pointless on DVD players, its just a pain in the arse and people will get round it one way or another.
If a company says 'I wont distribute titles on your format unless you introduce region coding' then it is far from pointless - it's not complicated surely?
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 22:44   #13
RobDickinson
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 11,334
Thanks: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Its anticompetative, restrictive and in some countries illigal.

Why shouldnt I be able to buy & play a DVD in the US when I'm there on my UK laptop?

Why cant I play one of my hundreds of legaly bought R2 disks on my legaly bought NZ xbox 360? I've broken no laws, I've bought both in good faith, in the correct region, but am shafted by some pathetic stupid artificial restrictions.

Region coding makes me sick, and its been proven just not to work with DVD's (in most cases) I thought they'd learned their lessons with dvd.
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 00:39   #14
kiran_mk2
Trusted User
 
kiran_mk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 3,058
Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow
Well it's not pointless at all - if HD-DVD get Buena Vista/Disney on board, it is pretty much game-over, as Columbia/Sony will be left as the major sole exclusive contributor to Blu-Ray.

Pretty much every other studio is seeing the light, and coupled with the sale figures, and already emerging dominance of HD-DVD, region coding could be very important.
What about Fox (whose demands allegedly held up the release of BluRay to begin with)? Star Wars, Aliens, X-Men, um... Big Momma's House.

I imagine Sony will wait for at least a year after the launch of the PS3 before Columbia even considers launching HD-DVDs.
__________________
Nothing to see here - move along
kiran_mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:20   #15
LouBarlow
Retired Member
 
LouBarlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 55,655
Thanks: 923
Thanked 979 Times in 620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_mk2
What about Fox (whose demands allegedly held up the release of BluRay to begin with)? Star Wars, Aliens, X-Men, um... Big Momma's House.

I imagine Sony will wait for at least a year after the launch of the PS3 before Columbia even considers launching HD-DVDs.
Yup I forgot Fox, but again there are rumblings that they will be unable to resist the unexpected popularity of the rival format.

It's too early I guess to make assumptions, but if the patterns emerging on sales etc etc are maintained, or the gap widens (as is becoming the case) then the studios will be unable to resist surely?
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:58   #16
Guest 5099
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: London
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson
What's pointless about appeasing studios?

Who's going to buy your players if studios won't release films for them?
Sorry but it works the other way too. How can a company survive if no one buys its product?

If the enlightened studios release without region coding, and the unenlightened ones don't, qand customers hold their ground and only buy from non-region coding movie studios - you would soon find that the studios who didn't would change their minds.
Guest 5099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 13:37   #17
AndyWilson
--------old-geek
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 11,598
Thanks: 67
Thanked 171 Times in 114 Posts
What percentage of the DVD buying public worldwide have any interest at all in playing DVDs of whatever resolution from "other" regions? Pure speculation but I think 5% would probably be a huge over-estimate.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 00:29   #18
Vulcan101
More DVD's please
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wales
Posts: 3,768
Thanks: 16
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I don't know if that is necessarily so.

One of the reasons why region free DVD's became so popular with early adoptors was due to the lack of titles, high cost and poor R2 transfers which made R1 disks much more attractive and so people hacked their DVD players. When cost of UK disks dropped and the range of disks increased region free disks/players were no longer that important (though this is now fairly standard on even cheap players).

However, you can bet that HD DVD and BluRay disks are going to be massively expensive at first in the USA and UK but probably a lot cheaper in Japan and the R3 countries so it will make sense to buy from the cheapest source AND make significant savings; also figure in that users are more technically savvy and internet aware than they were even 8 years ago, so there will be a desire to buy abroad - but only if you can get a region free player.

I am still not convinced that there will be a massive surge of purchasing of HD DVD due to high equipment costs particulrly if the disks are pricier than DVD then it will be niche market (at least in the short/medium term).
Vulcan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:08   #19
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog
 
R-T-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Keighley, UK
Posts: 2,982
Thanks: 35
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson
What percentage of the DVD buying public worldwide have any interest at all in playing DVDs of whatever resolution from "other" regions? Pure speculation but I think 5% would probably be a huge over-estimate.
Maybe so, when you look at all the DVD buying public, but the only people who have adopted HD so far are going to be the rich yuppie types, and the hardcore film fans who import every other disc. So it could be above 50%.

Especially in the UK where importing discs is as easy and quick as ordering them domestically, I think that almost all the early adopters will be potential importers.
__________________
Mondo Esoterica - cult and obscure film and DVD reviews | Flickr Gallery - British motorsports photography and more.
R-T-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 16:57   #20
Guest 11264
HD Member
 
Guest 11264's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,284
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan101
I don't know if that is necessarily so.

One of the reasons why region free DVD's became so popular with early adoptors was due to the lack of titles, high cost and poor R2 transfers which made R1 disks much more attractive and so people hacked their DVD players. When cost of UK disks dropped and the range of disks increased region free disks/players were no longer that important (though this is now fairly standard on even cheap players).

However, you can bet that HD DVD and BluRay disks are going to be massively expensive at first in the USA and UK but probably a lot cheaper in Japan and the R3 countries so it will make sense to buy from the cheapest source AND make significant savings; also figure in that users are more technically savvy and internet aware than they were even 8 years ago, so there will be a desire to buy abroad - but only if you can get a region free player.

I am still not convinced that there will be a massive surge of purchasing of HD DVD due to high equipment costs particulrly if the disks are pricier than DVD then it will be niche market (at least in the short/medium term).
I think you raise some good points but with regard to HD-DVD costs I have bought a dozen or so and only one has cost me more than Ł12 brand new so essentially the same or cheaper than normal DVDs so not sure this will be a prevention to take up of the format?
Guest 11264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
HD-DVD Disc

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network