Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 06-09-2006, 04:35   #21
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T-C
Why not? Certainly if the cost of a dual-player is not substantially more than a regular player I think it would be a lot more desirable (I think a lot of people are waiting either for one format to win, at least to see which format gets the better films).
Whilst Blu-Ray and HD-DVD use the same compression schemes (good), the underlying programming languages used to drive the things are completely different. So whoever took on this task would essentially have to create their own chipsets from the ground up that would run both Blu-Ray's BD-J and Microsoft's iHD.
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 13:35   #22
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

For some reason, not logic based, I am reminded of the 'future proof' laserdisc/DVD combo-players that enjoyed a brief period in the limelight.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 18:08   #23
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster
Whilst Blu-Ray and HD-DVD use the same compression schemes (good), the underlying programming languages used to drive the things are completely different. So whoever took on this task would essentially have to create their own chipsets from the ground up that would run both Blu-Ray's BD-J and Microsoft's iHD.
All the second generation control and decoding chips are already compatible with both formats (nobody could be bothered to fab two seperate chips, it's cheaper to cover both with one design)

All drives will be dual format becasue the extra cost will be tiny and once somebody brings one out everyone will have to copy.

Combine it with the fact that the reigon coding for both formats is an add on to the main copy protection and I wouldn't mind betting that multi reigon or switchable players that play both formats will be in stores at £250 by 2008.
Old 07-09-2006, 21:35   #24
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollecks
All the second generation control and decoding chips are already compatible with both formats (nobody could be bothered to fab two seperate chips, it's cheaper to cover both with one design)

All drives will be dual format becasue the extra cost will be tiny and once somebody brings one out everyone will have to copy.

Combine it with the fact that the reigon coding for both formats is an add on to the main copy protection and I wouldn't mind betting that multi reigon or switchable players that play both formats will be in stores at £250 by 2008.
It does beg the question......
If you can buy a player that does 2 formats, and you just buy a movie which will come on whichever format the company wants to use, but they both offer the same quality, then.........

What's the whole point of 2 formats?

If you have 2 formats of anything, and 1 is better than the other (and perhaps more expensive to reflect that) or has other advantages, pro's/cons, then there would be a reason.

LCD / PLASMA TV.

LCD/DLP Projectors.

Petrol/Diesel cars.

But if they're the same, then why bother?
Tempest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 23:07   #25
thescrounger
Trusted User

Because it's competing technology to win. To make money.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 00:34   #26
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger
Because it's competing technology to win. To make money.
Errrrrr........

Well, I could see that if there were 2 completly seperate players (no combi players) and movies came out on both formats.

Then you would have a VHS / Betamax bit of competition.

There would be 2 sides trying to get your money, competing for your custom.

But if there is 1 player that plays both formats, and the same film does not come out on both formats, then there is no competition, and all seems a bit pointless
Tempest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:32   #27
drush9999
Trusted User

I would consider getting a combi player and getting into HD sooner. But because certain films are exclusive to one format or the other, it's the only viable option for me. Hopefully the war will be won by the end of next year anyway.
drush9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:40   #28
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest
Errrrrr........

Well, I could see that if there were 2 completly seperate players (no combi players) and movies came out on both formats.

Then you would have a VHS / Betamax bit of competition.

There would be 2 sides trying to get your money, competing for your custom.

But if there is 1 player that plays both formats, and the same film does not come out on both formats, then there is no competition, and all seems a bit pointless

Sorry but I really don't understand what your point is. HD-DVD and BD are competing formats, they will still be competeing formats even if you owned a dual machine.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 17:40   #29
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger
Sorry but I really don't understand what your point is. HD-DVD and BD are competing formats, they will still be competeing formats even if you owned a dual machine.
But if EVERYONE owned a dual format machine (as I strongly suspect they will) the formats would effectively vanish in the eyes of the average consumer and studios can release in one format or the other without any consequences.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:34   #30
Spectre07
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollecks
But if EVERYONE owned a dual format machine (as I strongly suspect they will) the formats would effectively vanish in the eyes of the average consumer and studios can release in one format or the other without any consequences.
There aren't any dual format machines, I doubt the two parties licensing the competing formats would allow manufacturers to build dual format machines.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:41   #31
Boink!
In the Good Place

Thanked 3,290 Times in 1,095 Posts
I would expect Sony to do its damnest to stop something like that coming out.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 13:26   #32
nwgarratt
Trusted User

I think they will lose a lot of potential customers if a dual format didn't come out eventually. I won't be getting one until then or the one format starts doing disc in the other format when one gets killed off.

There is already a HD DVD/Blu Ray drive for the PC coming out.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 13:29   #33
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

The HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive story has suddenly been refuted, with very strong indications that the Blu-Ray consortium wasn't happy about it one bit.
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 13:42   #34
Guest 2728
Trusted User

"For some reason, not logic based, I am reminded of the 'future proof' laserdisc/DVD combo-players that enjoyed a brief period in the limelight."

I think that was a completely different situation to be fair. As soon as DVD appeared Laserdisc was dead in the water, combi players were just a way for exisitng Laserdisc punters to enter the DVD marketplace whilst still being able to play their Lasers, a way to soften the blow if you will. Laser had already been around for a decade and had never broken out of it's niche among home theater-philes (up until DVD laserdisc was the only way to get DD5.1 soundtracks for example), DVD was always designed to be mainstream with a much better quality at a much lower price point. HD-DVD and BR have entered the fray more or less simultaneously and at a similair price point.
Guest 2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 12:56   #35
Guest 54308
TAWT-A-HELLO

Location: Above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley.
I'm a fan of movies not formats, and as much as I want to see films in high-definition, the idea of having to buy to seperate players just to allow me to watch all the films that are available just seems ridiculous. If I adopt just one format, then half the movies I'd want to buy would be unavailable to me because of different studios backing different formats. I agree that a dual-format player (should a thing ever surface) would be a more attractive proposition, but I'd much prefer all movies to come out on either one dominant format, or both formats to let us choose. There doesn't seem to be any drastic advantage that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD have over each other, I can't help but feel that in the race to see who wins, it's Joe Public that loses out.
Guest 54308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 15:53   #36
Guest 36346
Trusted User

Surely if you want a dual player, itll cost more than just a single standalone format player?

So basically a blue ray player, that can read HD DVD too - now who in the right mind is going to pay more than what a blue ray player costs right now (999.99 )

Also, what about these triple disks, that have blue ray, hd dvd and dvd versions on, will the player think its ' the daddy' and can handle all 3, but end up having a hissy fit and blowing up as it cant decide which layer of the disk to read?
Guest 36346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 20:13   #37
Guest 54308
TAWT-A-HELLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swafe
Surely if you want a dual player, itll cost more than just a single standalone format player?
Well, hopefully it would be cheaper than buying TWO standalone players, one for each format.
Old 20-09-2006, 20:21   #38
Spectre07
Trusted User

If they can't get the single format players to work properly at the moment what hope have they got of getting a dual format player working properly? They shouldn't try to run before they canwalk, they should concentrate on getting the bugs out of the players already launched.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 20:56   #39
Guest 36346
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost.ottercrab
Well, hopefully it would be cheaper than buying TWO standalone players, one for each format.
Aye, it will be cheaper than buying 2 players to make sense in buying it, apart from convienience, however the coin flips too ways, if a dual player was cheaper than just a blue ray player, then why buy a blue ray player at all when you can have HDDVD as well - for the same price. This means that if one comes out now, itll be over 999.99 of a blue ray player, yet less than 999.99 + 499.99 of a HDDVD player, for it to make sense, how you can justify spending probably 1200-1300 quid on a DVD player is beyond me, even if it is 'amazing' and more futureproof to a degree
Guest 36346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 23:03   #40
Guest 54308
TAWT-A-HELLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swafe
Aye, it will be cheaper than buying 2 players to make sense in buying it, apart from convienience, however the coin flips too ways, if a dual player was cheaper than just a blue ray player, then why buy a blue ray player at all when you can have HDDVD as well - for the same price. This means that if one comes out now, itll be over 999.99 of a blue ray player, yet less than 999.99 + 499.99 of a HDDVD player, for it to make sense, how you can justify spending probably 1200-1300 quid on a DVD player is beyond me, even if it is 'amazing' and more futureproof to a degree
So what is your suggestion to film fans who want to buy movies in high definition? Plump for one format and hope the majority of their favourite films come out on that? I won't be buying either for that reason alone.

And regarding your comments on the cost, all new technology comes down in price. My first DVD player cost me £450 and that wasn't even the most expensive one on the market. You can now buy superior players to my original model for under £60. If I do eventually move to either format, it will be when prices have dropped. Significantly.

Last edited by ghost.ottercrab; 20-09-2006 at 23:07.