Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 13-11-2006, 12:21   #81
Guest 50025
"Duck, you sucker!"

Cheers John. Awesome, £5.99 on cd-wow before discounts.
Guest 50025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 17:08   #82
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Even nicer with the £1 off eh?

I've penned, ah, a few more thoughts on High Noon (well, if truth be told, I ramble a bit - sorry!) in my FilmJournal Blog High Noon; Dutch Delight.

Last edited by John Hodson; 14-11-2006 at 19:08.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 21:12   #83
Livius
Is it far?

Anyone picked up the Randolph Scott Triples yet?
I've seen a few mentions of playback glitches over at the HTF and on the Beaver's site and wondered if anyone here had experienced this.
I have mine on order at Pacific but might cancel if this turns out to be an authoring issue which gets corrected with a new pressing.
Old 15-11-2006, 15:47   #84
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
I've penned, ah, a few more thoughts on High Noon (well, if truth be told, I ramble a bit - sorry!) in my FilmJournal Blog High Noon; Dutch Delight.
Blimey, no other love for Gary Cooper? Time for a bit of a poll: 'Are you now, or have you ever been, a fan of High Noon?' - come on, ante up!
Old 15-11-2006, 16:50   #85
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius
Anyone picked up the Randolph Scott Triples yet?
I've seen a few mentions of playback glitches over at the HTF and on the Beaver's site and wondered if anyone here had experienced this.
I have mine on order at Pacific but might cancel if this turns out to be an authoring issue which gets corrected with a new pressing.
The people who post these things usually have player-related problems - that's what ultimately comes to light. I believe it is ONE person who stated boldly that because he was having problems that meant the discs were defective. Every other response in the thread was either "sorry to hear they screwed up the discs" or "I don't have a problem with mine." I'm certainly in the latter category - they play perfectly.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 17:49   #86
douglasb
Suedehead.

Quote:
Blimey, no other love for Gary Cooper? Time for a bit of a poll: 'Are you now, or have you ever been, a fan of High Noon?' - come on, ante up!

You're spoiling us, John. It's almost criminal that yr stuff is 'only' available on the web.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 18:04   #87
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Ah, great pic - ta!
Old 15-11-2006, 20:54   #88
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway
The people who post these things usually have player-related problems - that's what ultimately comes to light. I believe it is ONE person who stated boldly that because he was having problems that meant the discs were defective. Every other response in the thread was either "sorry to hear they screwed up the discs" or "I don't have a problem with mine." I'm certainly in the latter category - they play perfectly.
I'd suspected and was hoping that this might be the case. Thanks for the reply.
Really looking forward to these movies & they're a steal at the price.
Old 15-11-2006, 20:56   #89
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Count me in. I'm eagerly awaiting the new Dutch release.
Old 15-11-2006, 22:01   #90
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius
I'd suspected and was hoping that this might be the case. Thanks for the reply.
Really looking forward to these movies & they're a steal at the price.
I just looked at the thread again and it literally is just one guy - everyone else's discs play fine. I guess it just never occurs to people if the disc has a problem to take it back and get a replacement before going online and boldly proclaiming that the DVDs are defective, as if it were the entire run. Sadly, that is what the Internet has bred.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 07:56   #91
Guest 50025
"Duck, you sucker!"

BTW John the remastered High Noon doesn't have a stereo track, it's just a matrixed centre-channel mono track just like R2/4's Shane.

My Darling Clementine - 3.5/5
Finely crafted and well balanced between drama, action and comedy. Hank Fonda was excellent and Victor Mature was pretty damn good. I found Cathy Downs as Clementine insipid though, Chihuahua was the far more interesting female character (Was she supposed to be Mexican?).

Doc Holliday's motivation for leaving his old life and becoming a gunfighter wasn't properly explained IMO. Why exactly did the discovery of his sickness lead to starting a new and reckless life? This is the first take on the Earp/Clanton story that I've seen BTW.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - 4.5/5
Outstanding film. I can understand why Leone liked really this film. Tom's attitude towards Rance's idealogies was pretty cynical indeed; they had did have great chemistry. I was especially impressed by Jimmy Stewart's performance which was entirely different to eccentric characters that I've seen him play in Hitchcock films; he truly was a great actor rather than a star.

Tom was very noble IMO; sacrificing the woman he loved and chance to be a legend for the greater good of the community below the picket line.

The Shootist - 4/5
Very good, a wonderful character study. It succeeded at Scorsese's New York New York failed at; moulding cinema of the old Hollywood with the sensibilities of American Cinema renaissance (of the late 60's-early 80's) which featured a lot of personal films and/or character studies.

I was very impressed by Wayne's performance; this film and Liberty Valance served as a great introduction to the actor for me and I look forward to seeing more of his films.

Don Siegel's direction was great, as proved by the superbly crafted shoot-out at the end with the mirrors and such.

Shane - 4.5/5
I felt like a child again when watching this, I would've loved this growing up. A simple yet elegantly told tale of good vs. evil, it reminded me a lot of Star Wars (which was a favourite of mine as a child).

Q: How exactly was this film revolutionary to the genre? Was it the attitude towards guns and violence?

I've ordered the R1 Warner Ford/Wayne boxset and some ultra-cheap Paramount 3-pack with True Grit, El Dorado and Rio Lobo (latter two are inferior remakes of Rio Bravo?); in which order should all 11 films be watched?

Q: How is The Sons of Katie Elder?
Thanks.

Last edited by EvaUnit02; 20-11-2006 at 08:39.
Old 20-11-2006, 08:32   #92
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Revolutionary; thar ya go agin... There's so much to love about Shane; Stevens wonderful compositions (he has a great eye for such), a great script that closely follows the novel, the shining knight that is 'Shane' and Jack Palance's almost supernatural gunfighter, the fact that the whole story is seen through a child's eyes. And, yes, an attitude to violence that was no doubt shaped by George Stevens experiences in a WWII combat film unit (though he's far from unique in this respect. The whole world had changed).

You're right; it's a simple tale that on it's most basic level is 'good v evil', but it does stand repeated viewings (as do all those films you've seen recently).

Of the last you mention, substitute Rio Bravo for Rio Lobo (the only one I don't care for too much) and you won't go far wrong. El Dorado is not 'inferior', it's just different.

As for the order in which to view; rule of thumb - watch 'em in the order in which they were made.

Last edited by John Hodson; 20-11-2006 at 08:34.
Old 20-11-2006, 08:47   #93
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaUnit02
BTW John the remastered High Noon doesn't have a stereo track, it's just a matrixed centre-channel mono track just like R2/4's Shane.
You sure? The Dutch disc has a choice of stero or 'restored mono', and the stereo track does seem to be exactly what is said on the tin (though I haven't listened to enough to determine whether they've monkeyed with it much).
Old 20-11-2006, 08:56   #94
Guest 50025
"Duck, you sucker!"

Quote:
You sure? The Dutch disc has a choice of stero or 'restored mono', and the stereo track does seem to be exactly what is said on the tin (though I haven't listened to enough to determine whether they've monkeyed with it much).
The R4 has a choice of Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround and Restored Mono. The former is a matrixed centre-channel mono track and the latter is a left & right channel DD2.0 dual-mono track.
Old 20-11-2006, 08:58   #95
Guest 50025
"Duck, you sucker!"

Quote:
Of the last you mention, substitute Rio Bravo for Rio Lobo (the only one I don't care for too much) and you won't go far wrong. El Dorado is not 'inferior', it's just different.
I'd like to but it's a Warner DVD. They might put out a better release at some point and I'd hate to be stuck with a barebones dud DVD.

Last edited by EvaUnit02; 20-11-2006 at 08:59.
Old 20-11-2006, 09:14   #96
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
The R4 has a choice of Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround and Restored Mono. The former is a matrixed centre-channel mono track and the latter is a left & right channel DD2.0 dual-mono track.
Ah, I see what you mean; the 'stereo' track has a wider sound stage involving the L & R speakers with dialogue split to the centre channel, while the mono is almost completely centred. Still prefer the mono track, it sounds more natural to me.

Quote:
I'd like to but it's a Warner DVD. They might put out a better release at some point and I'd hate to be stuck with a barebones dud DVD.
Warner have stated their intention to revisit Rio Bravo I understand. Wonderful film; it's available very cheaply right now, so I'd still consider it.
Old 20-11-2006, 09:46   #97
Guest 50025
"Duck, you sucker!"

Quote:
Ah, I see what you mean; the 'stereo' track has a wider sound stage involving the L & R speakers with dialogue split to the centre channel, while the mono is almost completely centred. Still prefer the mono track, it sounds more natural to me.
The 'stereo' track was centre-speaker only from what I sampled of it (I watched the entire film with the mono track, I prefer dual-mono since it's louder). The mono track utilises only the L & R speakers BUT switch on Dolby Prologic and it's matrixed to the centre speaker only, making the 'stereo' track totally redundant.

I noticed that there's a new R1 Rio Grande DVD out at the end of the month, is it an Artisan release? Only $6usd, I might pick it up (depending on what I think of Fort Apache and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon).

Last edited by EvaUnit02; 20-11-2006 at 09:53.
Old 20-11-2006, 10:00   #98
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Yes, that's the old Artisan (Lionsgate) and well worth a buy (like many of the previously OOP Artisan Republics, coming back on stream). I sob buckets at the damn theme music!

Thanks for coming back here and giving us your thoughts; it's always interesting to read what someone thinks of the films first time around, and I'm genuinely pleased you like them. I guarantee (note; guarantee not valid in New Zealand) you love the Fords.

BTW, interesting what you said about Star Wars and Shane and go back to The Shootist when you've seen more Wayne; watch it again knowing that he's had cancer, knowing that he may actually have again the cancer that killed him, and you'll see a towering, an immense performance. Again, I can't get through that title sequence...

Last edited by John Hodson; 20-11-2006 at 10:07.
Old 20-11-2006, 10:24   #99
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Sons of Katie Elder is enormous fun with fine performances and one of Elmer Bernstein's most memorable scores.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 10:48   #100
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Sons of Katie Elder is enormous fun with fine performances and one of Elmer Bernstein's most memorable scores.
It's one of his best isn't it? I got quite ratty about Bernstein at one point (after owning several soundtracks of his too, late '60's/early '70s), but I'm coming back to really admiring his work again.