Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 05-10-2005, 15:09   #21
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

What price an extras free BFI disc?

Anthony Nield's DVD Times review of the BFI's What Price Glory is here.

Last edited by John Hodson; 05-10-2005 at 15:11.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 18:05   #22
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

DVD Planet is listing John Ford Goes to War for release on December 20, which I'm assuming must be this 2002 documentary.
Old 26-10-2005, 07:50   #23
Summerisle
Trusted User

Follow Mr. Hodson's latest link in the King Kong thread for news on the efforts to produce a restored print of The Searchers (not just for DVD but for projection and archiving; as has been done for Kong, Ben Hur, etc., etc.)
Summerisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 21:09   #24
Guest 13065
Trusted User

here is the full transcript of what was said about The Searchers

RH: We're talking about Cooper and Schoedsack. One of the later Cooper films, for which I believe he served as Executive Producer, I'm told is in the works, and that would be The Searchers…

GF: Ned, talk about The Searchers.

NP: I've pursued getting... I don't want to say acceptable, but balanced picture from the camera negative for about five years. I test the negative when we have new and more powerful color correction tools. I pull the camera negative out again, and see if I can pull the color back, and I have to say that camera negative is dead.

RH: It probably was years ago.

NP: Mean Streets, contains a clip from The Searchers, you can see the negative was completely faded in 1973.

RH: That makes sense.

NP: We've taken the VistaVision A and B roll separation masters... all 48 reels and scanned each of the records in at 4k resolution. The separations will be combined with the same "ultra-res" process we use for three-strip Technicolor negatives... we will output a new set of separation masters from the restoration.

RH: Will you be eventually recording out new separations there?

NP: Absolutely. We've been creating YCM separation masters on all of our new films at WBMPI. I'd like to make a few comments about quality. You asked why Warner Brothers would go to this degree in our mastering process. We are now mastering in 4k resolution which allows us to create new elements for the vault in full 35mm resolution. We were previously working at a small fraction of the film information which allowed us to make nice, but temporary, distribution masters. I consider high definition mastering a "rental" format, because my experience with the library is that you will have to remaster once higher resolution is available. The industry is often fooled into thinking the new "state of the art" technology will never be surpassed. Now that we're working in film resolution, we're not just getting a video master, we create a new film element to put in the vaults, which will take the form of three-strip YCMs for color features.

RH: How are the 8 perf seps fitting together on The Searchers.

NP: They're working, which is great... I did not know if they would be successful as separation masters were never proof printed up until the late 1970s.

RH: Is there a plan for The Searchers at this point?

GF: We're going to finish it...

RH: So you're going to finish it first...

NP: It's a new concept...
Guest 13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2005, 09:25   #25
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I didn't know whether to post this here or in the 'John Wayne' thread, but I figure 'Pappy' comes first...

With Warners said to be prepping a Wayne/Ford Collection for 2006, what do we think it might include? How about:

The Searchers 2-disc SE
Fort Apache
Stagecoach SE
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon SE
The Wings of Eagles
3 Godfathers
They Were Expendable SE

The Wings of Eagles is said to be being broadcast in the States with a nice new HD transfer, so I think that's a given, as is The Searchers. Stagecoach and 3 Godfathers. Fort Apache, of which there has been little mention is surely a must and I'm really anticipating Warners to give us a sparkling presentation. I'm expecting extras on all the titles, but rather more on the SEs. They could sweeten the pill on the latter by giving it a further wash and brush up (they could hardly improve on SWAYR's transfer), and including a documentary on Ford's war years, etc. A documentary on Argosy somewhere in there would be nice.

But a seven film box - too much to ask for?

Last edited by John Hodson; 04-01-2006 at 14:33.
Old 29-10-2005, 15:10   #26
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

I'd particularly love to see Fort Apache (my favourite of the cavalry trilogy), Stagecoach SE and SWAYR SE. I have to shamefully admit to buying Universal's godawful R2 Wayne and Ford Collection earlier this year, but in my defence I hadn't seen ANY of the cavalry trilogy or Stagecoach back then, and wasn't very savvy on other region releases. Waiting for an announcement for R1 so I can give my Universal set the send-off it deserves (high explosives may be involved). And fingers crossed we'll get that Searchers SE before too long - it's surely gonna look gorgeous!

Extras-wise, some docs on Ford's 'usual suspects' bunch of actors would appeal to me, even if Batjac have covered Harry Carey Jr and Ward Bond recently.

Last edited by jackal; 29-10-2005 at 15:22.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 18:51   #27
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

As per Jon's post in the 'Criterion 2006' thread, the Young Mr Lincoln release will now be a two-discer with the following extras:

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
New, restored high-definition digital transfer
A 1992 BBC profile of John Ford, written and presented by filmmaker Lindsay Anderson
A 1975 episode of the BBC talk show Parkinson, featuring Henry Fonda
Archival audio interviews with Ford and Fonda, conducted by the filmmaker’s grandson Dan Ford
Academy Award Theater radio dramatization of Young Mr. Lincoln, downloadable as an MP3 file
Gallery of production documents
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
PLUS: A 32-page booklet featuring critic Geoffrey O’Brien and Sergei Eisenstein’s homage to Ford
Old 25-11-2005, 17:53   #28
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Reports from the HTF suggest that HD Net is broadcasting a very nice print of The Wings of Eagles in high definition, a decent indication that it's on its way... (BTW they are also broadcasting the Brando Mutiny on The Bounty; another good sign).
Old 25-11-2005, 17:56   #29
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I'll go on record as saying that "Wings of Eagles" is underrated. Not as underrated as "Cheyenne Autumn" but still needs to be reconsidered.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 17:59   #30
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Completely agree Mke; I've just noticed that I posted the above news a couple of posts ago - mea culpa...
Old 30-11-2005, 20:00   #31
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Just noticed that Wagon Master is on BBC2 next Friday (9 Dec). Never seen this myself; according to John's superlative list in this thread, it's only available on French DVD, so I thought it's worth a heads up for any other Ford fans out there.
Old 30-11-2005, 21:15   #32
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Wagon Master is brilliant; I'll even blow the dust off my VCR...

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but I've added John Farrow's Hondo to the first post; Ford was - as luck would have it - on hand when Farrow was recalled to Hollywood to complete work on another picture (possibly Plunder of The Sun?), and Pappy stepped in to shoot the whole of the climatic battle scene. Not only is it confirmed on the recent R1 of Hondo, but there are also stills of Ford on set and at work. There are rumours that he also had a hand in McLintock! (I wouldn't be surprised) but I can't substantiate it, so I'll leave it out for now.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:48   #33
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

R1 fans rejoice...or maybe beware? US retailers 'Target' have a Warners exclusive on December 20 on Ford's Mogambo and 3 Godfathers at $9.99 each.

These have, of course, been available in R2 for some time. But I'd be wary because Warners have already flagged their intentions to release John Ford and Clark Gable boxsets in '06 (as per this year's Warners / HTF Chat).
Old 17-12-2005, 16:01   #34
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quick heads up; both the R2s of Two Rode Together and the very tasty looking MoC The Prisoner of Shark Island are now up for pre-order. As mentioned elsewhere, the Criterion Young Mr Lincoln has been delayed until February.

Last edited by John Hodson; 17-12-2005 at 16:03.
Old 17-12-2005, 16:16   #35
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Ta for that. I'd forgotten Two Rode Together was coming up; looking forward to seeing it for the first time.
Old 17-12-2005, 16:42   #36
Guest 13065
Trusted User

cheers for the heads up
Guest 13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 00:53   #37
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Those recent R1 releases of 3 Godfathers and Mogambo get the once-over from the Beaver.
Old 24-12-2005, 18:43   #38
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Check out Savant's review of John Ford Goes to War what sounds like a superb R1 documentary, here.
Old 30-12-2005, 01:29   #39
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

The upcoming MoC release of The Prisoner of Shark Island is only Ł12.87 delivered at DVD Plus (sorry, the damn site won't let me link direct to the product, but just do a search for it). I've only used them once before, but they were OK then.

Last edited by jackal; 30-12-2005 at 01:36.
Old 30-12-2005, 09:13   #40
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Ta for that; this is one of the few R2 releases that I won't wait to go into a sale...