Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 20-05-2005, 11:49   #1
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

'I am a Director of Westerns' - The Ultimate John Ford Thread

"For a director there are commercial rules that it is necessary to obey. In our profession, an artistic failure is nothing; a commercial failure is a sentence. The secret is to make films that please the public and also allow the director to reveal his personality..."

"I didn't show up at the ceremony to collect any of my first three Oscars. Once I went fishing, another time there was a war on, and on another occasion, I remember, I was suddenly taken drunk..."

"I love making pictures but I don't like talking about them."

"When in doubt; make a western..." - John Ford

I was listening to an interview with a director the other day and he was talking about his latest project; just started production, he said. Months away from shooting of course, and in all it would probably consume nearly a year of his life. A year for a run-of-the-mill Hollywood film, from casting to in the can.

At the 1940 Oscar nominations Ford had no less than three films up for awards, the following year, the year he won 'Best Director' another two. His output was phenomenal, and while he he didn't strike gold all the time (his biographer Joe McBride describes Tobacco Road, made during the same amazing spell, as being directed by Ford's 'evil twin'), there are pictures (as Ford himself preferred to call them) that are among the greatest ever filmed.

Time for a good hard look at one of the 20th century's greatest and most influential directors; John Ford and what is currently available on DVD.

Best known as 'a director of westerns' (a description he used himself) Ford entered the film business as a silent movie pioneer. By the time he died, 32 years ago, he had produced a body of work that any artist would have been proud of. And art it sometimes was. Though Ford himself shied away from the term, he secretly delighted that, especially in later life, he was lauded as a film genius. He influenced fellow professionals and subsequent generations of film-makers including Truffaut and Scorsese, Bogdanovich and Spielberg.

The filmography below is mostly culled from IMDB; the notes I've made on the various titles are from my personal experience or a trusted second hand source. I hope this will be a decent resource for Ford fans that will be constantly updated; all contributions, reviews, views, news, corrections, additions welcome - please!

Chesty: A Tribute to a Legend (1976)... aka Chesty (USA: informal English title)
Vietnam! Vietnam! (1971)
7 Women (1966)
Young Cassidy (1965) (uncredited)
Cheyenne Autumn (1964)... aka John Ford's Cheyenne Autumn (USA: complete title) - R1 (Warner), said to be coming in R2 in Germany, and part of a Warners Ford collection in R1, review here.
McLintock(1963) (uncredited) - R1 (Paramount), Ford alledgedly directed for a week while Andrew V. McLaglan was sick - numerous terrible PD versions in all regions, but the only really worthwhile disc is the Paramount/Batjac collaberation in R1, also coming in R2 Germany, review here.
Donovan's Reef (1963) - R1 (Paramount), R2 (Paramount), no extras, nice transfer, R2 review here
How the West Was Won (1962) (segment 'The Civil War') - R1 (Warners), poor, but rumoured to be being worked on and coming 2007 in a new SE, R1 review here
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) - R1 (Paramount), R2 (Paramount), barebones, but excellent transfer, R1 review here, and another R1 review here.
'Alcoa Premiere' (1961) TV Series (episode 'Flashing Spikes')
Two Rode Together (1961), R2 (Germany) (UK - UCA); barebones, but quite a decent transfer
The Alamo (1960) (uncredited) - R1 (MGM), R2 (MGM), there is material used in the film shot by the great man; decent transfer but we want the full Roadshow version, R1 review here
Sergeant Rutledge (1960) - R1 (Warner), part of a Warners Ford collection in R1, review here.
The Horse Soldiers (1959) - R1 (MGM), R2 (MGM), poor transfer, no extras, R1 review here
Korea (1959)
The Last Hurrah (1958) - R1 (Columbia), excellent transfer, no extras
Gideon's Day (1958)... aka Gideon of Scotland Yard (USA) - looks to be coming to the UK in August 2007.
'Wagon Train' (1957) TV Series... aka Major Adams, Trail Master
The Rising of the Moon (1957)
The Wings of Eagles (1957), - R1 (Warner), part of a Warners Ford collection in R1, review here.
The Searchers (1956) - R1 (Warner), R2 (Warner), part of a Warners John Wayne / John Ford collection in R1, also available in R2, review here.
'The Bamboo Cross' (1955) (TV)
'Screen Directors Playhouse' (1955) TV Series (episode 'Rookie of the Year')
Mister Roberts (1955) - R1 (Warners), co-directed by Ford (after his spat with Fonda) fair transfer and extras, R1 review here
The Long Gray Line (1955) - R1 (Columbia), barebones but decent transfer, R1 review here
Mogambo (1953) - R2 (Warners), R4 (Warners), R1 (Warners), barebones but decent transfer, R4 review here, R1 review here
Hondo (1953) (uncredited) - R1 (Paramount), Ford was invited to direct the climatic battle after John Farrow was called away. One of the 'Batjac' CE discs, superb in every way, review here
The Sun Shines Bright (1953)
What Price Glory (1952) - R1 (Fox), R2 (BFI) - barebones but good transfers, R1 review here, R2 review here.
The Quiet Man (1952) - R1 (Lions Gate), R2 (UK; Universal), (Germany, Kinowelt), the only good thing to be said is that the extras are decent on the R1, in all cases the transfers are terrible. , R1 CE review here - now OOP.
This Is Korea! (1951) (as Rear Admiral John Ford USNVR Ret.)
Rio Grande (1950)... aka John Ford and Merian C. Cooper's Rio Grande (USA: complete title) - R1 CE (Lions Gate), R2 (UK; Universal, Germany; Kinowelt), the R1 is pretty good, nice transfer, good extras. The UK R2 isn't., R1 CE review here - now OOP.
Wagon Master (1950) - R2 (France; »ditions Montparnasse)
When Willie Comes Marching Home (1950)
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) - R1 (Warners), R2 (UK; Universal), (Germany; Kinowelt), superb transfer from both Warners and Kinowelt, awful from Universal. The German DVD features an hour long BBC interview with Ford, the R1 some interesting 16mm home movies. UK R2 review here, German R2 review here, R1 review here. Also part of that John Ford/John Wayne Collection from Warners in R1.
Pinky (1949) (uncredited) - another where Ford was replaced, by Kazan in this case, but some of his footage remains; R1 review here.
'Fireside Theatre' (1949) TV Series
3 Godfathers (1948) - R2 (UK; Warners), R1 (Warners - Target exclusive), R4 (Warners), barebones but decent transfer, also part of a John Ford/John Wayne Collection from Warners in R1, 2006 R4 review here, R1 review here
Fort Apache (1948)... aka War Party - R1 (Warner), R2 (France; »ditions Montparnasse, UK; Universal, Germany; Kinowelt), part of a Warners John Wayne / John Ford collection in R1, forget the rest, review here.
The Fugitive (1947)... aka Fugitivo, El (Mexico) - R2 (France; »ditions Montparnasse)
My Darling Clementine (1946)... aka John Ford's My Darling Clementine (USA: complete title) - R1 (Fox), R2 (Fox), excellent presentation again in R1 on the 'Studio Classics' label, features the pre-release cut, commentary etc. Review here
They Were Expendable (1945) - R1 (Warner), older title, but decent enough. R1 review here and here.Also part of that John Ford/John Wayne Collection from Warners in R1
December 7th (1943)... aka December 7th: The Movie (video title (restored version)) - R1 (VCI). R1 review here
We Sail at Midnight (1943)
The Battle of Midway (1942) - R1 (Delta)
Sex Hygiene (1942)
Torpedo Squadron (1942)
How Green Was My Valley (1941) - R1 (Fox), R2 - (Fox), superb presentation in R1 in the 'Studio Classics' range. R1 review here
Tobacco Road (1941) - released in Germany by Fox.
The Long Voyage Home (1940) - R1 (Warner), R2 (Universal), part of a Warners John Wayne / John Ford collection in R1, review here.
The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - R1 (Fox), R2 - (Fox), superb presentation in R1 in the 'Studio Classics' range. R1 review here
Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) - R1 (Fox), R2 (UK; Optimum, France; GCTHV, Germany MC One) - The R1 and R2 (UK) discs boast very nice if not stellar transfers, comparison here.
Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) - R2 (France; GCTHV, UK; Optimum, Germany; MC One), R1 (Criterion) - Comparison of the UK R2 and R1 here and R1 review here.
Stagecoach (1939) - R1 (Warner), R2 (France; »ditions Montparnasse) (UK; Universal), part of a Warners John Wayne / John Ford collection in R1, review here.
Submarine Patrol (1938)
Four Men and a Prayer (1938)
The Adventures of Marco Polo (1938) (uncredited)
The Hurricane (1937) - R1 (HBO), now OOP
Wee Willie Winkie (1937)
The Plough and the Stars (1936)
Mary of Scotland (1936) - R2 (France; »ditions Montparnasse), R1 (Warners), part of the Warners Ford collection in R1, review here.
The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936) - R2 (France, GCTHV), (Germany MC One), (UK, Eureka), excellent release from Eureka; super transfer, superb extras. Review here.
Steamboat Round the Bend (1935)... aka Steamboat Bill - R2 (UK; Optimum), R1: Fox, review here.
The Informer (1935) - R1 (Warner), R2 (France; »ditions Montparnasse), part of a Warners Ford collection in R1, review here.
The Whole Town's Talking (1935)... aka Passport to Fame (UK)
Judge Priest (1934) - R1, R2 - various appalling public domain releases. Avoid
The World Moves On (1934)
The Lost Patrol (1934) - R1 (Warner), R2 (France; »ditions Montparnasse), part of a Warners Ford collection in R1, review here.
Doctor Bull (1933)
Pilgrimage (1933)
Flesh (1932)
Airmail (1932)
Arrowsmith (1931) - R1 (MGM) excellent transfer, barebones, R1 review here
The Brat (1931)
Seas Beneath (1931)
Up the River (1930)
Born Reckless (1930)
Men Without Women (1930)
Salute (1929) (uncredited)
The Black Watch (1929)... aka King of the Khyber Rifles (UK)

You should be aware that all but a handful of Ford's silent pictures are considered lost forever; but as these things continue to pop up from time to time, there's always a slim chance...

Strong Boy (1929)
Riley the Cop (1928) (uncredited)
Napoleon's Barber (1928)
Hangman's House (1928) (uncredited)
Four Sons (1928)
Mother Machree (1928) (uncredited)
Upstream (1927)... aka Footlight Glamour (UK)
The Blue Eagle (1926) (uncredited)
3 Bad Men (1926)
The Shamrock Handicap (1926)... aka 1732
Thank You (1925)
The Fighting Heart (1925)... aka Once to Every Man (UK)
Kentucky Pride (1925)
Lightnin' (1925)
Hearts of Oak (1924)
The Iron Horse (1924) (uncredited) - R2 (UK) decent presentation, but barebones by BFI of the UK cut of the picture, but now appears to be OOP, R2 review here
Hoodman Blind (1923)
North of Hudson Bay (1923) (as Jack Ford)... aka North of the Yukon (UK)
Cameo Kirby (1923)
Three Jumps Ahead (1923) (as Jack Ford)
The Face on the Bar-Room Floor (1923) (as Jack Ford)... aka The Love Image (UK)
The Village Blacksmith (1922) (as Jack Ford)
Silver Wings (1922) (as Jack Ford) (prologue only)
Little Miss Smiles (1922) (as Jack Ford)
Jackie (1921) (as Jack Ford)
Sure Fire (1921) (as Jack Ford)
Action (1921) (as Jack Ford)... aka Let's Go
Desperate Trails (1921) (as Jack Ford)
The Wallop (1921) (as Jack Ford)
The Freeze-Out (1921) (as Jack Ford)
The Big Punch (1921) (as Jack Ford)
Just Pals (1920) (as Jack Ford)
Hitchin' Posts (1920) (as Jack Ford)... aka The Land of Promise (UK)
The Girl in Number 29 (1920) (as Jack Ford)... aka The Girl in the Mirror
The Prince of Avenue A (1920) (as Jack Ford)
Marked Men (1919) (as Jack Ford)... aka Trail of Shadows
A Gun Fightin' Gentleman (1919) (as Jack Ford)... aka The Gun-Fighting
Gentleman (USA: review title)
Rider of the Law (1919) (as Jack Ford)... aka Jim of the Rangers
Ace of the Saddle (1919) (as Jack Ford)
The Outcasts of Poker Flat (1919) (as Jack Ford)
Riders of Vengeance (1919) (as Jack Ford)
By Indian Post (1919) (as Jack Ford)... aka The Love Letter; R2 (France, Lobster) - on a DVD of shorts.
The Gun Packer (1919) (as Jack Ford)... aka Out Wyoming Way
Gun Law (1919) (as Jack Ford)... aka The Posse's Prey
Bare Fists (1919) (as Jack Ford)... aka The Man Who Wouldn't Shoot
A Fight for Love (1919) (as Jack Ford)... aka Hell's Neck
The Fighting Brothers (1919) (as Jack Ford)... aka His Buddy Roped (1919) (as Jack Ford)
The Last Outlaw (1919)
Rustlers (1919) (as Jack Ford)... aka Even Money
Three Mounted Men (1918) (as Jack Ford)... aka Three Wounded Men (USA)
The Craving (1918)
A Woman's Fool (1918) (as Jack Ford)
Hell Bent (1918) (as Jack Ford)... aka The Three Bad Men (USA: bowdlerized title)
The Scarlet Drop (1918) (as Jack Ford)
Thieves' Gold (1918) (as Jack Ford)
Wild Women (1918) (as Jack Ford)
The Phantom Riders (1918) (as Jack Ford)
Bucking Broadway (1917) (as Jack Ford)... aka Slumbering Fires (UK)
A Marked Man (1917) (as Jack Ford)
The Secret Man (1917) (as Jack Ford)... aka The Round Up / Up Against It
Straight Shooting (1917) (as Jack Ford)... aka Joan of the Cattle Country / Straight Shootin' (USA: cut version) / The Cattle War
Cheyenne's Pal (1917) (as Jack Ford) ... aka A Dumb Friend / Cactus My Pal
The Soul Herder (1917) (as Jack Ford) ... aka The Sky Pilot
The Scrapper (1917) (as Jack Ford)
Trail of Hate (1917)
The Tornado (1917) (as Jack Ford)
Red Saunders Plays Cupid (1917)

---
Publications:
John Ford; The Complete Films - excellent book, containing some wonderful photographs, nice quotes and titbits of information, plus a complete filmography and more. Dirt cheap and super value for money.
Searching for John Ford - Joe McBride's amazing examination of the life and work of Ford. Not just the best book on this film maker, but one of the best biography's around IMHO.
About John Ford - Lindsay Anderson's wonderful examination of Ford's work. A classic.
John Ford and the American West, a beautiful book at a very nice price. Chock full of stills, on-set photos, and reproductions of Remington's and Russell's wonderful western paintings.
---
Bits and pieces:
The American West of John Ford; a public domain DVD of a 1971 documentary, aired in the US, featuring many of Ford's colleagues, clips etc. R2 review here
John Ford Goes to War - superb R1 documentary, review here
Ford is said to have appeared as one of the Klan riders in Griffiths Birth of a Nation; is he the one who lifts his hood, which he couldn't see through properly because of his glasses...
---
Useful Web Pages
John Ford: A Bibliography of Materials in the UC Berkeley Library
John Ford at Silent Era
Two Big Missing John Ford Stories
Argosy Pictures: The Independent Film Company of Director John Ford and Producer Merian C. Cooper
Films of the Century; Young Mr Lincoln
John Ford at IMDB

Last edited by John Hodson; 07-10-2009 at 13:38. Reason: New reviews added
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 12:20   #2
anephric
Kidney Thief

I yearn for a release of Cheyenne Autumn as I haven't seen it for years (not since I sat and watched it with my dad on VHS 16 years ago). I can barely remember it...
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 14:23   #3
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Excellent work and a very useful resource. Many thanks John.

Can I add my R1 review of "Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" which is here
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 21:06   #4
Guest 13065
Trusted User

John

Thanks for the new thread about John Ford.

More money from my credit card.

Cheers

Oscar
Guest 13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2005, 12:37   #5
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

Thanks John! Looks like I'm going to go through the list to see what I haven't got! Definatly going to pick up the Taschen book, John Ford, The complete films. I've looked at it oin Borders and a couple of other book stores but I've made up my mid to add it to my cinema book collection.
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 23:24   #6
Guest 50025
"Duck, you sucker!"

What are likelihoods of a Liberty Valance SE being released? I wanna get that R1 Paramount Wayne boxset, but would hate to be burnt by a MWSLV double-dip.

Any word on Paramount remastering Rio Grande and Quiet Man?
Guest 50025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 23:32   #7
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaUnit02
What are likelihoods of a Liberty Valance SE being released? I wanna get that R1 Paramount Wayne boxset, but would hate to be burnt by a MWSLV double-dip.
No word, and while it seems unlikely now, you never know for the future; the current release has a very nice transfer. My advice is get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaUnit02
Any word on Paramount remastering Rio Grande and Quiet Man?
The Quiet Man has already been restored by UCLA; it just needs Paramount to get its finger out and get that restored print transferred to DVD properly. Rio Grande is another pretty decent Artisan disc, but again Paramount are beavering away and it's described as a work 'in progress'. Again expect another release.
Old 02-06-2005, 19:02   #8
Guest 13065
Trusted User

The latest edition of Rolling Stone magazine (Batman Begins cover) has a couple of pages devoted to Henry Fonda star of various John Ford movies with lots of great quotes incly Jane & Peter Fonda.

What is all this fuzz about Mister Roberts ?

Can anybody fill me in ?

Cheers

Oscar
Old 02-06-2005, 19:24   #9
Guest 15513
Trusted User

Not difficult to argue him as the greatest director of all-time. His catalogue is breathtaking. Of course he did have some outstanding actors to work with but nevertheless made the most of them.

Guest 15513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 19:28   #10
Guest 13065
Trusted User

I guess I will have to re read Joseph McBride's magnificent bio
Old 02-06-2005, 20:36   #11
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Osc; Fonda took several years out of Hollywood to star on Broadway in Mister Roberts. When the film came along, Fonda knew the part and the play inside out, but Ford had his own ideas - including toning down Cagney's character, and some misplaced Fordian comedy which meant stepping outside a script Fonda deemed sacrosanct. The two of them clashed badly. Ford went on a bender and, during an argument, slugged Fonda.

Ford was mortified and Fonda, not unnaturally, was thereafter frosty with 'Pappy', who soon after quit, citing health reasons. The Fonda approved Mervyn LeRoy took over and finished the film, hence their co-directing credit. It was the end of the Ford / Fonda relationship on film; Ford had turned more to Wayne anyway, who he considered more malleable.

The Warners DVD is very nice BTW and includes a fascinating Jack Lemmon commentary.

Last edited by John Hodson; 02-06-2005 at 20:40.
Old 02-06-2005, 20:59   #12
Guest 13065
Trusted User

great to hear and spend the cash on that dvd then
Old 15-06-2005, 10:39   #13
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

7 Women

A little lateral thinking; got my Joan Crawford Collection this morning. On the back of the case for The Women is a still from the film. Only it's not. It's from Ford's largely unloved 1966 movie 7 Women.

I say 'largely' because contemporary critics and audiences turned their backs, but it's gaining something of a cult following, including Joe McBride who thinks it's an unsung Ford masterpiece. Having only seen it a couple of times in the dim and distant past, I couldn't make any useful comment, but I'm fired up to see it again.

I don't think the film has made it to Home Video in any format. With the recent, and very sad, passing of Anne Bancroft maybe Warners could finally produce the goods tagging on a suitable tribute to Ms Bancroft in the process. Just a thought.
Old 15-08-2005, 12:52   #14
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Some good news for R2 Ford fans in the Upcoming Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieslowski
From the Criterion Forum, Masters Of Cinema will release John Ford's Prisoner Of Shark Island (1936)
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0028141/

Probably not due for release until late 2005 / early 2006, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anield
BFI releases for September...
'What Price Glory' - John Ford/James Cagney collaboration from the early fifties.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the former is also on Criterion's to-do list, while the latter is already out from Fox in R1 with a splendid transfer - not Ford at his best BTW, though it has the occasional moment. Unless the BFI has some excellent extras (which I doubt), the R1, easier on the pocket, will do.

Last edited by John Hodson; 15-08-2005 at 12:53.
Old 03-09-2005, 13:07   #15
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

A day that will live in infamy...

When introduced as a winner of four Oscars the ever irascible John Ford would snap: "Six!", ignoring the fact the Oscars for The Battle of Midway and December 7th were awarded not to him, but to the US Navy/20th Century Fox and to the Navy/Field Photo respectively. But as Cmdr. John Ford was a proud naval officer, and as Field Photo, the propoganda film unit that Ford spent his War service with, was his baby, who can deny him?

Well, maybe Gregg Toland. For the famous cinematographer, one of the small army of Hollywood technicians cajoled by Ford into joining his unit, only agreed to working with Field Photo on the understanding that he would be given a movie of his own to direct. And Decemeber 7th, the story of the infamous Japanese attack on the American Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbour, was Toland's project. But the eager Toland went far beyond his remit of turning in a factual documentary on Pearl and the aftermath, and submitted an 83 minutes docu drama that trod heavily on naval corns, lambasting the armed services for being ill-prepared and daring to suggest the next steps America should take.

Ford leant a hand, directing some action sequences (which are thrillng - makes one wonder what his Tora! Tora! Tora! would have looked like), while pondering just what to do next. Realising that the project was doomed to be canned unless drastic action was taken, Ford ordered Robert Parrish to take the butcher's axe to Toland's film - out went the prologue with Uncle Sam (Walter Huston) being berated by his Conscience (Harry Davenport), and out too went the epilogue with Dana Andrews playing the dead American sailor. Some of the more positive things Toland had to say about the Japanese Americans were also expunged, to the satisfaction of the War Department, and the resulting film - now down to 34 minutes - was finally shown in 1943 to servicemen and war workers.

There's a link to a full review of VCI's disc of the now restored version in the first post, but I will add that, having now received the DVD, that it makes fascinating viewing. While in no way trying to make a comparison between the strike by the Japanese Imperial Navy 64 years ago and the London Tube bombings of July, there are some striking parallels between the subsequent presentation of the 'enemy' then and now.

Toland's film does try in some small way to be sympathetic, but it's mealy mouthed stuff in view of the overriding nature of the piece. It has no compunciton in pointing the finger of blame on the Japanese American community, the enemy within, for passing on intelligence, for spying on their own country. There are jibes at Japanese culture (their 'so-called religion') and the 'diabolical' nature of the assault is hammered home again and again. A short sequence in which a Japanese American Hawaiian is 'interviewed' by a 'radio reporter', with the 'Jap' refusing to acknowledge or believe the Islands had been attacked by Japan is also telling. It's very heavy handed propaganda claiming that those of Japanese descent owe their allegience to Japan, which would have whipped up a xenophobic storm.

Taken in context, it's unsurprising, though we more sophisticated citizens of the 21st century could scoff at such stuff, if only for the media coverage of the London attacks...

TBH, I wsn't expecting much, but I'm absolutely delighted. For around £4 shipped, you can't expect the quality to be tip top and I suspect this R0 disc to be a simple port of the video transfer dating back from the early '90s, but it's still surprisingly decent. Add to that a veterans commentary and a host of other extras - including another film from Field Photo, by Frank Capra called Know Your Enemy - it adds up to a spellbinding peek into the mindset of a country under attack and their view of the enemy, not simply for Ford completeists. The only real gripe I have is that VCI have made this a 'play all' production, so the various newsreels and short features can only be accessed seperately from the 'scene selections' button, but that's nit-picking. If you do intend to buy this, be aware that because it has entered the public domain, there are several versions out there - VCI's is without a shadow of a doubt the best.
Old 22-09-2005, 11:18   #16
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The BBFC has just classified Two Rode Together for DVD release by Sony...
Old 22-09-2005, 17:53   #17
Guest 53019
Trusted User

John, Seven Women had a nice letterboxed laserdisc release, which I have. Some critic somewhere always describes some unloved film by a great director as their undiscovered masterpiece (Major Dundee currently). I happen to like Seven Women, and just watched it recently on TCM. It's very sound-stage bound, but the ladies are all excellent and there's just something wacky and entertaining about it. No masterpiece, though.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 22:50   #18

The extras on MoC's edition of PRISONER OF SHARK ISLAND look excellent;I'm not sure Criterion would improve on them.The MoC discs I've seen have had above average to great transfers as well.

PRISONER OF SHARK ISLAND

Last edited by dave49; 22-09-2005 at 23:57.
Old 22-09-2005, 22:58   #19
Guest 13065
Trusted User

wow this is awesome news.

Cannot wait to see this

Last edited by oscar; 22-09-2005 at 22:59.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:26   #20
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave49
The extras on MoC's edition of PRISONER OF SHARK ISLAND look excellent;I'm not sure Criterion would improve on them.The MoC discs I've seen have had above average to great transfers as well.

PRISONER OF SHARK ISLAND
That looks great; I must say, I'm a little disappointed with the specs, so far, for Criterion's up and coming Young Mr Lincoln. It does say 'more', but I'm not holding my breath and I'm a little miffed I held off buying the R2 in anticipation of something super-duper from across the pond.