Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 20:58   #661
Livius
Is it far?

I have a number of those mentioned. Of the German releases:

Pillars of the Sky
Saskatchewan
Border River
Horizons West
Battle at Apache Pass
Comanche Territory

are all fine transfers on a par with the titles you already own.

As for the French ones, AFAIK both Hell Bent for Leather and Gun for a Coward will probably have burnt in subs. Reviews here and here

For the Spanish titles:
Gunman's Walk is a pretty good 2.35:1 transfer albeit non-anamorphic.
Two Flags West is just fine.
Those Spanish discs have removable subs BTW.

Of the others:
A Big Hand for the Little Lady is available in R1 from Warner anyway and is very good.
I don't have the other Warner titles from Spain but I do have the French editions of:
Day of the Evil Gun
The Last Hunt
Across the Wide Missouri

and I imagine they're the same transfers. The first two are 2.35:1 non-anamorphic and they're just about acceptable. The latter is 1.33:1 OAR and looks very good.

Last edited by Livius; 12-11-2009 at 21:17.
Livius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 22:38   #662
Guest 51192
Trusted User

Thanks for that Livius. Very informative. Damn shame about the burned-in subs on Gun For A Coward and Hell Bent.... but good that you pointed it out. I might well have ordered them.
Guest 51192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 22:45   #663
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedspin View Post
Damn shame about the burned-in subs on Gun For A Coward and Hell Bent....
I'd imagine they may well turn up in Germany (sans subs) or maybe even in the UK from Optimum sooner or later.

Last edited by Livius; 12-11-2009 at 22:45.
Livius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 22:49   #664
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
A poster at the HTF has apparently learned via the distributor that Tell Them Willie Boy is Here will be anamorphic scope but Man Without A Star is 4:3 (probably open-matte again).
Old 13-11-2009, 10:30   #665
Guest 64691
Trusted User

Warner Exclusives Westerns

Now that quite a few of the Warner Archives Exclusives 1950's Westerns in widescreen that were previously not available for despatch outside of the United States are now available from amazon.com, I have just ordered four of these CinemaScope Westerns. They are: Canyon River; The First Texan; The Oklahoman and Wichita. They're each at least £5 ($8) more expensive than listed on the Warner website, but it's better than not being able to get them at all.

However, having watched a clip from the beginning of The First Texan on the Warner website, it looks as though the opening credits sequence is in 2.35:1 and then when that finishes, the picture switches to 16 x 9 (1.85:1). Can anyone confirm this is true and why, if the other three are 2.35:1, is The First Texan mostly in 16 x 9?

Last edited by DavidRayner; 13-11-2009 at 10:54. Reason: Update
Guest 64691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 10:51   #666
Guest 31204
Trusted User

Has anybody seen the Spanish DVD of THE WONDERFUL COUNTRY? Go to www.sueviafilms.com. Not available on R1.
Guest 31204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 11:10   #667
Livius
Is it far?

My experience with Suevia is that you can expect low end transfers. The Wonderful Country is *I think* a UA film so I'm hoping it pops up somewhere else in R2.
Old 13-11-2009, 15:07   #668
Guest 51192
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRayner View Post
, I have just ordered four of these CinemaScope Westerns. They are: Canyon River; The First Texan; The Oklahoman and Wichita. They're each at least £5 ($8) more expensive than listed on the Warner website, but it's better than not being able to get them at all.
David...I can't help on the details of The First Texan I'm afraid...although that is highly annoying if it's true. On the matter of the cheapest prices on these from the UK however, I had an e-mail from DeepDiscount.com today who are just starting on another one of their occasional '40% off' sales. The Warner DVD-Rs are included. They are $17.97 each as far as I can see. In line with Warner prices.

Last edited by Alan b; 13-11-2009 at 18:49.
Old 13-11-2009, 18:37   #669
Guest 64691
Trusted User

Thanks, Speedspin. That DeepDiscount.com price is a real saving. They're $28:98 (£18) each on Amazon.com. Well, I've already ordered them off Amazon.com, so I'll just have to wait and see what they're like when they arrive.

Last edited by Alan b; 13-11-2009 at 18:49.
Old 15-11-2009, 13:23   #670
Guest 51192
Trusted User

Has anyone read anything about the quality of the Spanish release of El Condor? I've searched some forums and review sites for comments about the picture quality etc and can't find anything.

Like many posters on this site, I'm not at all keen on the idea of buying anything on these Warner Archive DVD-Rs if I can possibly get a decent pressed DVD of it instead. Having said that, I may well crack soon and get Wichita and Westbound on the Deep Discount Archive sale...and then hope like hell that they don't turn into coasters in a couple of years time!
Old 25-11-2009, 14:05   #671
Guest 64691
Trusted User

I received my copy of The First Texan this morning and have just played it and am very pleased with it. It is in full CinemaScope the whole way through and does not switch to 1.85:1 after the opening credits as per the excerpt on the Warner Archives website. Image and sound quality are excellent, as is the very catchy title song and I am stating this here because there seem to be no reviews of these Warner Archives releases anywhere on the Internet. So how else can people decide whether to buy them or not, as they ain't exactly cheap and most people will only consider splashing out on them because it's their only chance to see them in widescreen, often for the first time since they went to see them at the pictures well over fifty years ago.

Of the two CinemaScope Westerns from the Warner Archives Collection that I received yesterday, Canyon River and Wichita, both are full width with excellent sound and Wichita has superb image quality and looks a treat, but Canyon River is of a lower picture resolution and suffers from anything horizontal on the image, such as hat brims or window shutters, shimmering alarmingly. Definitely not for viewing on a big screen, even though, as with The First Texan and Wichita, it has been anamorphically enchanced for 16 x 9 monitors and televisions. In fact, the image quality on this Scope transfer of Canyon River looks no better than the DVD-R pan and scan version I bought off an eBay seller a year or so ago.

As for my fourth order in the quartet of CinemaScope Westerns from this Warner Archive series, The Oklahoman, I can't comment on that yet as it it hasn't yet arrived, even though amazon.com posted it to me by Expedited Shipping eleven days ago...so it's more than a bit overdue.

Last edited by DavidRayner; 25-11-2009 at 14:07. Reason: Typo
Old 25-11-2009, 21:08   #672
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRayner View Post
. . because there seem to be no reviews of these Warner Archives releases anywhere on the Internet. So how else can people decide whether to buy them or not, as they ain't exactly cheap and most people will only consider splashing out on them because it's their only chance to see them in widescreen, often for the first time since they went to see them at the pictures well over fifty years ago.
DVD Savant has reviewed a few of the Archive Collection.

You're quite right that some people might buy them even at their extortionate prices because that may well be the only way to see these movies again. I am toying with the idea of buying The Bribe and The Crowded Sky for precisely that reason.
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 16:06   #673
Guest 64691
Trusted User

Well, I'm pleased to report that The Oklahoman arrived this morning (a week late) and for anyone interested, the picture and sound quality are excellent and it's been transferred in its original 2.35:1 CinemaScope ratio. Recommended to all Western fans and fans of Joel McCrea, who goes so easily through this role, giving a quiet, understated performance and, like his fellow Western star Randolph Scott, makes acting look so easy. I haven't seen The Oklahoman in widescreen since I went to see it as an eleven year old in 1958 and that's a hell of a long time ago.