Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2006, 11:13   #21
Guest 59184
Trusted User

This is the wrong time of year to go looking in stores for new formats. Retailers like HMV and Virgin require all the footage they can get in order to flog the established formats, next year you may see them introducing a small section, but at the moment, I'd imagine their marketing department are still deciding on the graphics to use.
I remember when dvd was being established it was the industry that supplied HMV with shelf graphics until it was popular enough for them to spend their own cash designing their own -even then, I'm sure they were subsidised to an extent.
If HMV were smart, then I'd be ordering up HD titles and merchandising them in the games department along side the xbox 360 titles.....I'm not sure how many of the HD drives got shipped into the UK but it's going to be the gamers that know about it.....so go for those add on sales.
Guest 59184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 15:08   #22
Guest 993
Trusted User

It's still very much early adopter period. Give it 2 years and things may have changed. Mind you it could end up with both formats failing entirely (remember SACD/DVD-A? )

As said, the consumer is just happy with buying an HD Ready set and as far as they're concerned they've got HD. They'll likely think it looks great as it's probably an upgrade from a crap CRT to a nice LCD, despite watching in SD.

There was an article somewhere recently about how many people don't realise for HDTV they need to subscribe to an HD service (e.g. Sky HD), and just assume they've got HD already.

Last edited by DeadKenny; 03-12-2006 at 15:10.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 16:02   #23
NicolaUK
Trusted User

I think the average Joe will get very confused by the new discs, esp if they're shoved in with regular dvds.
NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 16:37   #24
Guest 59184
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny
It's still very much early adopter period. Give it 2 years and things may have changed. Mind you it could end up with both formats failing entirely (remember SACD/DVD-A? )

As said, the consumer is just happy with buying an HD Ready set and as far as they're concerned they've got HD. They'll likely think it looks great as it's probably an upgrade from a crap CRT to a nice LCD, despite watching in SD.

There was an article somewhere recently about how many people don't realise for HDTV they need to subscribe to an HD service (e.g. Sky HD), and just assume they've got HD already.
I agree, the consumer doesn't care - but then the "industry" doesn't care about the consumer, to make money, they need the public to re-buy their collections, so far they have failed to do away with CD, despite launching new formats, DAT, Mini Disc etc etc so they turn their attention to movies, VHS was easily replaced, but that wasn't enough as the encryption key was broken and they are not making as much money as thye should, so they come up something else, but this time it's special because new machines are required to play them on and new TV's to view them on.
Realistically it is total greed, I for one love the technology but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the public reject this move - it's bad enough the studios see fit to release special editions of special editions on DVD but this I fear will be a step a little too far too soon - it's no surprise that Sony, despite them denying it, have gone with blueray in the PS3 - it is quite simply a foot in the door, something that HDDVD doesn't have (apart from the Xbox HD drive)
Guest 59184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 18:15   #25
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowen
I agree, the consumer doesn't care - but then the "industry" doesn't care about the consumer, to make money, they need the public to re-buy their collections, so far they have failed to do away with CD, despite launching new formats, DAT, Mini Disc etc etc so they turn their attention to movies, VHS was easily replaced, but that wasn't enough as the encryption key was broken and they are not making as much money as thye should, so they come up something else, but this time it's special because new machines are required to play them on and new TV's to view them on.
Well that just makes no sense. For one thing, HD TV and DVD has been in the offing for years - the technology has simply not been affordable enough to sell it to consumers until recently. HDTVs do not only exist to play the DVDs, they can also be used to pick up HD TV broadcasts, and most of them are produced by different companies to those launching HD-DVD/BR.

Quote:
Realistically it is total greed, I for one love the technology but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the public reject this move - it's bad enough the studios see fit to release special editions of special editions on DVD but this I fear will be a step a little too far too soon.
Special editions are great, they include lots of special features (produced at cost), HD DVDs are great, they include new and better transfers of films (produced at cost). If the consumer doesn't want them, they won't buy them. By that logic, the very notion of releasing a film is greedy, as the firms just want people to go and see it.

Quote:
It's no surprise that Sony, despite them denying it, have gone with blueray in the PS3 - it is quite simply a foot in the door, something that HDDVD doesn't have (apart from the Xbox HD drive)
The Xbox 360 drive and the PS3 BR drive are identical "foot in the doors". Moreover, it will actually decrease the potential for sales of BR drives for many consumers, since they will already have one in their PS3. Hardly greed.
Old 04-12-2006, 18:37   #26
Guest 52699
Banned

I eventually found the BR/HDDVD section in HMV, at the expected Ł24.99 . The packaging for the discs is oh-so very futuristic isn't it? As long as your interpretation of "futuristic" is "cack". The fact that both cases are so dreadful is a shame, I didn't think things could really be any more drab than Amaray, and I've been proved wrong.
Guest 52699 is offline   Reply With Quote