Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 30-10-2019, 14:47   #141
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Oh, the excitement when I saw that Tremors trailer followed by the crushing disappointment when I read the text...

The Babysitter (2017)
Nervous teen, Judah Lewis, decides to find out what his babysitter, Samara Weaving, gets up to at night when the lights go down. Oh, oh! Satanic sacrifice with cult pals! Time for Judah to man up, fight those fears, and go John McClane on these evil doers besieging his home. Entertaining comic, splatter fest with great central performances. Judah Lewis's underdog loser teen keeps you onside throughout, never falling into the whiny or annoying territory.
Quote:
Cole: The last guy I saw get kissed got stabbed in the head with two knives.
Melanie: Just because she's a psychopath doesn't mean all women are evil.
Day of the Dead (1985)
Scientific experts are ignored and vilified under the radicalised cult of a crazy leader. It's up to the couldn't-care-less duo living in the basement to finally throw in and save the day from a ruthless dictatorship. What can I say? The shameless nostalgia machine that is Stranger Things worked its spell on me this year. I remember the excitement and anticipation for this film while barely a teenager recently acquainted with a VHS bootleg of the masterpiece Dawn of the Dead. Too young to see it at the cinema (and, amazingly, it was indeed shown at our local!), it was a long wait until the VHS rental became available. Finally, when I first lay eyes upon it, it proved a huge disappointment. If Night was set in a house and Dawn a Supermarket Day should have been a City under siege surely? Having no concept of things like budget my naďve brain only knew sequels should keep getting bigger in scale and Day of the Dead was smaller…? But this is a film I've revisited a lot during my life and realised that 13 year old me was a dumb ****. It still features some of the finest zombie effects ever put to screen and some genuine moral ambivalence on what is the right thing to do? Sure Rhodes is a psychotic, power crazy nut job but the survivors end up following his plan at the end nonetheless. Props must go to Sherman Howard's Bub (best zombie ever!) and also to Richard Liberty's mad scientist Logan who delivers some wonderful dialogue exchanges with twitchy aplomb.
Quote:
Sarah: Maybe if we tried working together we could ease some of the tensions. We're all pulling in different directions.
John: That's the trouble with the world, Sarah darlin'. People got different ideas concernin' what they want out of life.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
captaineyecatch (31-10-2019), GPR79 (30-10-2019), Jon B (31-10-2019), werewolf (31-10-2019)
Old 30-10-2019, 16:18   #142
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

The Ritual (2017). Caught this on Netflix. Group of friends go hiking in Sweden and decide to take a shortcut through the woods when one injures himself. Good British horror that kept me unnerved through most of it. Not the best ending, but a good journey.

Last edited by shteve; 30-10-2019 at 16:32. Reason: Sweden, not Norway :D
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
GPR79 (30-10-2019), Jon B (31-10-2019), WeaselFierce (30-10-2019), werewolf (31-10-2019)
Old 31-10-2019, 10:06   #143
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out for Justice View Post
Hats off to Amazon for adding these lovely 80's transfers as this looked great. Speaking of which, I've just starting watching the Lair of the White Worm (another first viewing) and the picture quality* looks like it was shot yesterday. Will leave a review when I finish.
Lots to enjoy in this one but I think the main draw for*me was its overall kookiness. Hugh Grant, Doctor Who and Amanda Donohoe's performances will keep you hooked as the bizarre events unfold. Watched this over several evenings but still heartily enjoyed it.

Forbidden World - Another first viewing for me. Beautifully transferred on Prime much to the benefit of the gratuitous nudity and gore. Not a bad effort. The set design is pretty decent, a little claustrophobic*but that just adds to the atmosphere. The alien itself is the weakest link here.There is some cool flashing imagery in places, one of which will make you look at*whirlygig's in a different light. It's not the best sci-fi horror and a certainly a blatant Alien rip-off but I'd say it's definitely worth a watch.

Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times by:
GPR79 (31-10-2019), WeaselFierce (31-10-2019), werewolf (31-10-2019)
Old 31-10-2019, 10:49   #144
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out for Justice View Post
Forbidden World
Still have a nostalgic fondness for some of those early 80's Alien ripoffs, a staple for teenage VHS rental. This, Galaxy of Terror and William Malone's Titan Find (now the duller titled 'Creature' on imdb) remain highlights.

Candyman (1992)
Grad student Virginia Madsen's thesis on urban legends brings her to the ghetto housing block of Cabrini Green and the local legend of Candyman. Investigating recent murders attributed to the supernatural being triggers a spate of new gruesome deaths renewing the legend. Been a number of years since I've sat down and rewatched this and I'm glad to see it holds up remarkably well. Madsen is great. Tony Todd is simply perfect with his imposing presence and seductive delivery. And the score by Phillip Glass beautifully evokes the sense of a modern folk tale.
Quote:
Billy: Candyman... Candyman... Candyman... Candyman...
Ju-on: The Beginning of the End (2014)
People are still wandering in and out of the cursed Ju-on house and finding themselves haunted to death by the creepy dead kid and his croaky, long-haired ghost mom. Some entertaining sequences but given the amount of remakes the Grudge has already had there's a serious sense of Deja vu at the reuse of old gags. There's a follow up to this one from 2015 and apparently another US remake coming out next year. Oh, boy...
Quote:
Kyosuke: You went, didn't you? You didn't go inside though, right?

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"

Last edited by WeaselFierce; 31-10-2019 at 12:05.
Thanked 2 times by:
GPR79 (31-10-2019), werewolf (31-10-2019)
Old 31-10-2019, 11:39   #145
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselFierce View Post
Candyman (1992)
And the score by Phillip Glass beautifully evokes the sense of a modern folk tale.
Been a couple years since I rewatched this and I still listen to the score regularly

#40 - Pumpkinhead: Blood Feud (2007)
It's the Hatfield's Vs the McCoy's. With Romania standing in for the deep south again. With a Scottish lead actress. And Lance Henriksen looking increasingly sheepish. Yup Pumpie's back in what is definitely the worst [and thankfully last, for now] of the franchise. They throw in some Romeo & Juliet action with a Hatfield girl (Amy Manson) falling for a McCoy lad which leads to rape, murder and the call of vengeance naturally. Pumpie indiscriminately kills anyone in his path now, which he had kinda started doing in the previous one but now he just really don't give a toss so it's open season in the Romanian woods. Again it's nice to see Henriksen but the highlight of this shi-show is the b story involving a dude that got away from Pumpie (seen in a brief prologue) some years back and now he's a sheriff but you guessed it, Pumpie's like an elephant, he never forgets. Skiiiip it.

#41 - It (2017)
Clowns, kiddies and sewers. I saw this on release and didn't think much of it. Revisiting it because I've got the sequel to watch now. My original opinion stands on this one tho; meh.
WeaselFierce (31-10-2019), werewolf (31-10-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:10   #146
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79 View Post
#36 - Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)
A quartet of high-schoolers get more than they bargained for when they head out one Halloween night in 1968 and end up waking the spirit of a restless ghostie that used to write short horror stories? This is a quality production; well made, impressive fx and cast with a distinct Stephen King vibe beyond the initial Stand By Me similarities. But despite the Goosebumps for slightly older kids, Guillermo Del Toro infused flavour from director Andre Ovredal (Trollhunter) it left me cold. Very forgettable unfortunately.
Oof, hope you don't hold that recommendation against me!

Quote:
#41 - It (2017)
Clowns, kiddies and sewers. I saw this on release and didn't think much of it. Revisiting it because I've got the sequel to watch now. My original opinion stands on this one tho; meh.
I enjoyed It at the cinema when it first came out (not as much as most people seemed to though), but revisiting it on home video before the sequel came out revealed how empty the film really is. The first hour of the film is just one horror setpiece after the other with next to no story or character development... and the sequel's even worse for that!

Last edited by Shingster; 01-11-2019 at 01:12.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
GPR79 (01-11-2019), WeaselFierce (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:56   #147
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Halloween (2018)
After 40 years, Laurie Strode is still struggling with the trauma of her friends' murders and her own abuse at the hands of masked nutjob Michael Myers. But she has her family and some douchey reporters to tell to her to 'get over it already'. For some reason she gets upset. Meanwhile Doc Loomis' successor (Haluk Bilginer) is also upset at losing his star, mute patient to a transfer. He joins him on the bus ride… through Haddonfield… on Halloween… What could go wrong? I let my expectations get the better of me. Despite my love of the original movie all the Halloween Mike Myers sequels have all been varying degrees of 'meh!'. Sadly, this is no different. Don't get me wrong, it's great to see Jamie Lee Curtis back again and there are some excellent sequences (the scene where The Shape arrives on the crowded Halloween night street full of trick-or-treaters just picking homes at random is ******* chilling!) but on the whole it lacks the suspense the original movie delivered in spades. It also suffers from the same issue a lot of modern slashers suffer from, too much time spent on asshole characters (and not necessarily even paying off with a decent brutal death comeuppance!). We get too little time with sympathetic characters like Will Patton, granddaughter Andi Matichak or her babysitting pal Virginia Gardner. The thing about tension is it requires stakes, and for that I need characters I care about and am invested in.
Quote:
Laurie Strode: Happy Halloween, Michael.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 3 times by:
GPR79 (01-11-2019), Out for Justice (01-11-2019), werewolf (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 14:06   #148
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Oof, hope you don't hold that recommendation against me!
Not at all, it was forgettable sure, but like I said well made and thus not boring

Thanks to Weasel for pointing this one out...

#42 - Nightmare Cinema (2018)
Mickey Rourke is the shirtless projectionist screening people's deepest fears in this horror anthology. Really enjoyed the "The Thing in the Woods" with it's fun little subversion of the summer camp slasher genre, especially that one kill where the guy keeps reaching for knives and the killer keeps stabbing him with them, that got a big laugh round my house! The next couple I wasn't that crazy about although we appreciated creepy 85 year old Richard Chamberlain (aka 60's teen heart-throb Dr Kildare) as a psycho plastic surgeon and the sleazy priest going ape with a sword in a demon filled church. "This Way To Egress" on the other hand was outstanding, with shades of Eraserhead and Cronenberg, Elizabeth Reaser spends 20 minutes trying to figure out why people are melting and the world is rotting all around her, we watched this one twice. Then we're back to more standard fare with the finale in which Annabeth Gish doesn't want her precious little pianist son going on without her when she gets murdered. Recommended!

#43 - It Chapter Two (2019)
The kiddies are all grown up and back for more sadistic clown action. I actually enjoyed this more than the first one, there's a really good flick in here fighting to get out under the 160 minute weight of flashbacks and digressions. I mean why bother having the first movie at all if you're gonna flashback to the kids so much in this sequel. Mind we spent most of the flick reveling in the Stephen King easter eggs dotted throughout as well as the not the so subtle nods to other horror flicks; The Thing's "you gotta be ******* kidding me" directed at the spider-head elicited a spontaneous round of applause from us. When it comes to the performances, the A-listers (McAvoy and Chastain) get the show well and truly stolen from them by the excellent Bill Hader and James Ransone who get all the best lines. So not as terrible as I'd heard and nowhere near as good as it could've been. Not bad.

Well that's another October done with

If we get to 10 years I promise myself I'll do all the Nightmare on Elm Streets and all the Child's Play flicks which I've been meaning to get around to since like 2013

See you all next year!
aprout (03-11-2019), captaineyecatch (01-11-2019), eye__writ (02-11-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (01-11-2019), Out for Justice (01-11-2019), Shingster (01-11-2019), WeaselFierce (01-11-2019), werewolf (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 19:33   #149
Shingster
Trusted User

I did all the Child's Play flicks earlier in the year in preparation for the remake/sequel? (not sure what it actually is as there has been talk that they could tie it into the original Chucky world). Much like Friday the 13th I don't think any of them are particularly great horror films, but they're fairly consistent.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 19:46   #150
ascender
Trusted User

Quote:
#37 - Midsommar (2019)
College kids travel to a remote Swedish village to witness a fabled mid-summer festival and get caught up in a pagan cult. Director's cut at just a tad under 3 hours but the time flew by as I thoroughly enjoyed this. So glad it didn't disappoint after how much I liked Hereditary last year. It's not really a scary flick, though it certainly has elements of horror and horrific scenes, but it's more of a psycho-drama, think the anti-Hostel. It's a break-up drama, take your prospective ex to see it, they'll get the hint. Florence Pugh is outstanding. The limited reviews I'd read nobody mentions how funny it is, there's some genuine big laughs in this via the absurdity of the situations and the reactions of the American kids. Also it features Chidi from The Good Place as a guy writing a thesis so I kept expecting Ted Danson to pop up and tell him, yup he's in the Bad Place. Highly recommended.

Some of my favourite bits included....
Holy moly, what on earth have I just watched????

Literally no words just now, I need time to process that!
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote