Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 16-10-2018, 19:53   #81
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
Ghost Stories (2017)
An inoffensive but pretty standard collection of ghost stories. Except the middle one isn’t a ghost story. But never mind that.
The play was better and more inventive. And they botched the 2nd of the 3 jumps...
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 20:16   #82
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4ever View Post
The play was better and more inventive. And they botched the 2nd of the 3 jumps...
You could certainly feel the theatrical roots and most of the "scares" felt like they'd be a lot more impactful happening live in the room with you.
Old 17-10-2018, 05:56   #83
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

#9 The Mutilator (19840

A young man goes back to his family cabin, where as a young lad he shot his mother whilst cleaning his dad's guns, the friends that went with him seem to be very good at playing hide and seek.

This is a film I've heard of, but never seen before.
It's a fairly by the books horror/slasher type, but set in on the beach rather than in the woods.
I enjoyed it, as fairly brainless and reasonably predictable fun with some over the top injuries

GPR79, I'm probably going to try re-animator this week, I know I've seen bits of it before but can't remember ever watching it in full.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times by:
eye__writ (17-10-2018), GPR79 (17-10-2018), WeaselFierce (17-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 09:43   #84
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Night School (1981) – More heads are rolling in another American college, this time in Boston. Police detective Leonard Mann is on the case to nab the masked decapitator at the all girl night school. Suspect wise we have the anthropology professor who’s boning all his students; Rachel Ward, his assistant who he’s also boning; the college’s Dean, who wants to fire the professor for boning the students because she’s a lesbian who also wants to bone the students; or the creepy peeper from the nearby diner who likes to watch the girls boning. There’s fun to had with Night School. The killer’s “logical” rationale is great and there’s a brilliant, protracted ‘Where’s Wally’ type sequence trying to spot where a missing head is going to turn up in a diner kitchen. The main strike against it is it just isn’t Pieces.
Quote:
Judd Austin: You stay here and I'll head over to that college.
Taj: Oh great! I gotta stay here and you get to go to the girls' school.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
eye__writ (17-10-2018), GPR79 (17-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 11:34   #85
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
Ghost Stories (2017)

An inoffensive but pretty standard collection of ghost stories. Except the middle one isn’t a ghost story. But never mind that.
The scariest thing about that flick was when I fell asleep and was awoken by a noise at my window which in retrospect I'm now thinking might've been you

#26 - Ghost Stories (2017)
Yeah like the peeper said above, pretty standard fare. I felt like I was watching one of those BBC spooky tales for Xmas. I liked the Paul Whitehouse section. I didn't much like the framing device and ending.

#27 - Hush (2016)
Deaf writer stalked by masked serial killer outside her house. Now this was surprisingly fun. Mainly due to the killer being such a reasonable and charming fella, apart from the whole wanting to murder people thing of course. Gory, tense, relatively short and entirely recommended. Thanks for pointing me towards it forumites

Might have to try some more Mike Flanagan flicks before I try The Haunting Of Hill House on Netflix.

#28 - Night Of The Wolf (1975)
Vincent Price BBC radio play. Set in Cambridge in the 1880's Vinnie's on the trail of his missing son and ends up entangled in some lycanthropic chicanery. Suitably old school, almost quaint, scares. The whole 90 minute play is on youtube:

eye__writ (17-10-2018), WeaselFierce (17-10-2018)
Old 17-10-2018, 19:59   #86
GPR79

#29 - Apostle (2018)
In 1900 or thereabouts Dan Stevens heads to an isolated island ruled by a mysterious religious cult to find out what happened to his sister. Well that's never gonna end well is it. Gareth (The Raid) Evans joins that Netflix stable of auteurs allowed to write, direct and pretty much do whatever they want with plenty of cash thrown at them. An experiment that has proved maybe some of these filmmakers should be reigned in and edited for their own good.

Happy to say this one is pretty good tho. Without getting into spoilers I'll just say it's not a perfect flick but it's original enough and feels fresh despite the couple of horror tropes getting thrown around. I can forgive a film a lot when it makes an effort to do something different, add to that the likes of Michael Sheen and bunch of other solid character actors getting down and dirty and I'm pretty much sold. I also have a sneaking suspicion I'll watch this again sometime down the road so...

Allegory for our treatment of mother earth or mildly gory religious cult horror, either way; recommended!

Last edited by GPR79; 17-10-2018 at 20:02.
GPR79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
eye__writ (18-10-2018), WeaselFierce (18-10-2018)
Old 18-10-2018, 01:39   #87
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

#10 Re-Animator (1985)

A young doctor tries an alternative to the defibrillator to save people's lives, whilst a creepy elder practitioner has plans for his work and his best (and only? friend's) girlfriend.

This is a film I'm sure I've seen before, although I couldn't remember more than a few scenes of it (so probably caught bits of it on TV at some point).

It's not exactly scary by today's standards, but a slightly different take on the whole frankenstein/bring people back from the dead, with some nicely gory special effects and a degree of knowing how silly it is that makes it fun.
I enjoyed it although I am starting to get worried if I'm getting desensitised to the blood and gore
Thanked 4 times by:
Boink! (18-10-2018), eye__writ (18-10-2018), GPR79 (18-10-2018), WeaselFierce (18-10-2018)
Old 18-10-2018, 09:02   #88
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

The Ghost Breakers (1940) – Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard reunite for another spooky themed murder mystery. This time Goddard is the inheritor of a haunted Cuban castle on an isolated island. Hope is a gabby radio presenter who smuggles himself in her luggage due to some escalating problems with the mob and the law. Together they journey to the haunted castle while nefarious types try to scare them off or bump them off at every turn. Another enjoyable caper with plenty of laughs, murder and racist jokes that’d keep Jim Davidson entertained.
Quote:
Alex: Is that a mummy?
Larry Lawrence: Yes, it's her great-great-great grand-mummy.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 4 times by:
eye__writ (18-10-2018), GPR79 (18-10-2018), sleep4ever (18-10-2018), werewolf (19-10-2018)
Old 18-10-2018, 12:33   #89
GPR79

#30 - Warlock (1989)
Creepy male witch time travels his way out of a burning at the stake situation in the 16th century to end up wreaking havoc slap bang in 1980's California. But fear not, there's a witch hunter on his trail. Classic video rental schlock from my yoof this. Julian Sands is laughably awful in pretty much everything but he takes the scenery chomping biscuit in this one as the tongue ripping, child skinning, eye gouging, pinkie finger slicing, received pronunciation spouting warlock. The term so bad it's good was invented for moments like Sands jittery Peter Pan on a string level flying about, attacking poor Lori Singer in her old hag make-up. And the witch hunter! Oh Richard E Grant, fresh off Withnail & I, you poor miscast basta-d you. He's supposed to be the dashingly primitive hero, a man of action, but he's a whip wielding piece of wet lettuce in rabbit fur. Doesn't help that his name's Giles either. The final showdown fight between the two briefly resembles some kind of slap fight out of a Will Ferrell comedy. Long story short, this is some good sh-t, check it out!

Quote:
Pastor: Can I ask what your interest is in finding such a book?

Giles Redferne: Our interest lies in stopping those who would see all good falter. It lies in stopping the powers of misrule from coming of age. It lies in finding that damned book, and thwarting a vile beast of a man who shall not rest until God himself is thrown down, and all of creation becomes Satan's black hell-besmeared farting hole!

Kassandra: You asked.
Oh and special mention must be made of Mary Woronov's cameo, showing what a true professional can do with just 5 mins of screen time and a gob full of sharpened demon teeth

Last edited by GPR79; 18-10-2018 at 12:40.
Thanked 5 times by:
Boink! (18-10-2018), eye__writ (18-10-2018), sleep4ever (18-10-2018), WeaselFierce (18-10-2018), werewolf (19-10-2018)
Old 18-10-2018, 20:02   #90
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Fell behind unfortunately -

#12 - Cult of Chucky - Sequel, ive lost count which number, to the original childs play. In a mental hospital, the survivor from the last film has been blamed for the murders Chucky the killer doll committed, and its not long before he follows her there. A nice touch with
and a different ending to usual.

#13 - Rings - Another sequel to the remake of the Japanese classic, that tries to do something different, almost becomes a murder mystery with horror chucked in, and near the end it looks like the girl from the killer video has turned good
. Vincent D'onofrio sleep walks through his part of the film, and the lead looks like a budget Jessica Alba, but it killed some time.

#14 - Mom and Dad - The lesser odd of the two recent Nicolas Cage films, you sort of know what youre going to get. Parents go mental and decide to kill their children in violent gruesome ways. Turns into a more violent version of Home Alone at one point, and has bizarre 70's style opening credits. Still, was short enough.

#15 - 1922 - Thomas Jane seems hardly recognisable as he talks out the side of his mouth for 100 minutes, in a netflix adaptation of a Stephen King novella. Its a slow burner with some creepy imagery, but is more about atmosphere and isolation rather than scares.

Good to see the review of Warlock, havent seen it since it originally came out on VHS, worried it wont be as good as it was then (loved it at the time, the less said about the sequels the better).
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
eye__writ (18-10-2018), GPR79 (18-10-2018), WeaselFierce (19-10-2018), werewolf (19-10-2018)
Old 18-10-2018, 20:34   #91
GPR79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4ever View Post
Good to see the review of Warlock, havent seen it since it originally came out on VHS, worried it wont be as good as it was then (loved it at the time, the less said about the sequels the better).
Oh I'm gonna have something to say about them sequels soon

#31 - Hereditary (2018)
Watched this a few weeks back and it left me teetering on the fence so I gave it a rewatch tonight and on second viewing I'm all in on the side of this being a great fu-king flick.

Felt like a proper old school horror from the 70's mixed with some meta Donnie Darko level creepiness. I have no idea if the humour is intentional but I tend to think it must be; Alex Wolff's crying, the hard cuts with the mother in constant grief mode, Wolff's dive out the window, Gabriel Byrne's weary glances, etc. Either way, it works.

Loved the atmosphere, the scares (which included no jump scares by the way, quite an achievement), the sense of foreboding and dread. As for the plot, I'd much rather be pleasantly confused by a spooky flick than put to sleep with it's paint by numbers familiarity (looking at you Insidious, Conjuring, Annabelle, etc). I thought Toni Collette was outstanding as well.

Highly recommended

P.S. Noticed quite a few things I missed the first time, like what became of the dog...

Last edited by GPR79; 18-10-2018 at 20:37.
Thanked 3 times by:
eye__writ (18-10-2018), WeaselFierce (19-10-2018), werewolf (19-10-2018)
Old 19-10-2018, 00:48   #92
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

#11 Forbidden World (1982)

A space marshell gets called to a planet where a science experiment has gone (is there any other type), and arrives at an outpost made of old Battlestar Gallactica sets decorated with extra egg cartons., whilst the female members of the outpost get naked to wash each others backs whilst the experiment is loose.

This was another one I chose almost at random, and feels like it was shot on a set they'd borrowed from BSG and added egg cartons and microwave meal containers to the walls.
It's stupid, and a bit of a mix between Aliens, The Thing and random B movies with Twiki from Buck Rogers' older brother and effects borrowed from Return of the Living Dead.

I quite enjoyed it as a trashy 80's horror/sci-fi, it's never going to win any awards for great film making or story but it's watchable.
Thanked 2 times by:
GPR79 (19-10-2018), WeaselFierce (19-10-2018)
Old 19-10-2018, 08:31   #93
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Always makes for a good double bill with Galaxy of Terror (1981)

Hereditary (2018) – Thankfully managed to go into this without knowing anything of the plot despite the buzz around it earlier this year. Without going into any details, tonally, the closest thing I can compare it to would be Karyn Kusama’s The Invitation (2015). At the heart is a slow burn drama of a family trying to deal with loss (ably grounded by Gabriel Byrne and Toni Collette) that takes a left turn into decidedly more sinister and ****** up territory by the end. Avoid any info. Just watch it and let it take you where it’s going at its own pace.
Quote:
Annie: I can't accept. And I can't forgive. Because... because NOBODY admits anything they've done!

Also started The Haunting of Hill House series. Good opening episode. There's plenty of familiar things from The Haunting(s) ("In the night. In the dark." ), some very J-horror creepy ******* ghosts, all wrapped in an 'IT' style narrative structure. Intrigued to see where it goes.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"

Last edited by WeaselFierce; 19-10-2018 at 08:35.
Thanked 3 times by:
eye__writ (19-10-2018), GPR79 (19-10-2018), werewolf (23-10-2018)
Old 19-10-2018, 08:40   #94
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselFierce View Post
Also started The Haunting of Hill House series. Good opening episode. There's plenty of familiar things from The Haunting(s) ("In the night. In the dark." ), some very J-horror creepy ******* ghosts, all wrapped in an 'IT' style narrative structure. Intrigued to see where it goes.
Just started the third episode. Hope they drop the cheap jump scares.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 09:29   #95
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out for Justice View Post
Just started the third episode. Hope they drop the cheap jump scares.
I surprised to read this. I'm halfway through and I don't think they've resorted to jump scares at all. Of course there is some but most of the scares are from a feeling of creeping dread over an entire episode.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 10:21   #96
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

There have only been a few in the first two episodes. It just cheapens the good stuff.

Edit:

Just had another one in the last 5 minutes of episode 2:

Still quite fun to watch though.

Last edited by Out for Justice; 19-10-2018 at 11:29.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 14:40   #97
GPR79

Spent last night watching bluray special features mainly...

An aged Julian Sands recently interviewed going on about how his portrayal of Richard III informed his performance as the Warlock no, really.

Steve Miner on his greatest hits, including 80's classic Soul Man which I made a mental note that I really must show to my politically correct younger relations.

A commentary on Daughters Of Darkness with one of my fav's; David Del Valle, dude is like the Bey Logan of horror flick commentaries, I could listen to him all day.

Steve Miner commentary on Warlock.

And the most pleasant surprise of the bunch; a Jerry Goldsmith historian doing a commentary combined with the Warlock score, thought this would not be for me but it was actually very interesting.
Old 19-10-2018, 18:39   #98
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79 View Post
An aged Julian Sands recently interviewed going on about how his portrayal of Richard III informed his performance as the Warlock no, really.
Funny you should mention that, on the recent Arrow release of City of the Living Dead you have Giovanni Lombardo Radice mentioning a similar thing influencing his performance as Bob, the town simpleton!

Seems Fulci wanted Bob to be a full-on hunchback and Radice managed to convince him he could portray a physical deformity by altering his gait, much like he did when he had recently played Richard III on stage!
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
GPR79 (20-10-2018)
Old 20-10-2018, 12:15   #99
GPR79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Funny you should mention that, on the recent Arrow release of City of the Living Dead you have Giovanni Lombardo Radice mentioning a similar thing influencing his performance as Bob, the town simpleton!

Seems Fulci wanted Bob to be a full-on hunchback and Radice managed to convince him he could portray a physical deformity by altering his gait, much like he did when he had recently played Richard III on stage!
I was at a Glasgow screening of a couple Fulci flicks years back where he said something similar during the Q&A (then he went off on an extended rant about Anthony Quinn for no discernible reason), anyway point is I'll give Radice the benefit of the doubt cos I like him, but Sands can fu-k right off

Talking of old Sandy bollo-ks...

#32 - Warlock: The Armageddon (1993)
Nobodies favorite male witch is back! This time he's after a bunch of ancient runestones that can unleash Satan upon the earth. Seeing as he was burnt to ashes in the first flick this one starts with him being born, fully grown, from some rando woman's vag. She was just getting ready for a date with Zach Galligan in her apartment when BAM instant pregnancy followed by a fu-ked up slimy blood soaked delivery on the dining room table. Julian Sands creeps me out at the best of times but when he's naked, covered in sh-t and screaming "mommy", I'm out! A film of two halves this; there's the Warlock on the road sections, collecting runestones and killing people in pretty boring but usually nasty ways. Then there's the sections set in a small town where the tone is like a US daytime soap opera with a sorceror's apprentice, he can talk to trees, hippy training vibe as these old fellas try to teach a high schooler how to use his previously hidden force powers. It's uneven to say the least. Also the CG FX are terrible and everyone seems to be dubbed pretty obviously by someone other than themselves?! It's rubbish, and not entertaining rubbish sadly. I'll leave the final word on this one to it's director, whose first words on the commentary track are: "this was not one of my proudest achievements".

#33 - Hold The Dark (2018)
Jeffrey Wright heads to deepest darkest Alaska to hunt some wolves that have killed a bunch of local children. Not sure why I thought this was a horror, maybe cos it was mentioned previously in this thread? Anyway it's a dark thriller with possible supernatural elements, more likely just psychological tho. Alexander Skarsgård does his usual blank faced brooding, really blank in the later section of the flick when he straps on a wolf mask. Wright is always worth watching tho and he doesn't disappoint in this looking just as confused throughout as the average viewer must feel watching the meandering, glacially paced plotline, broken up only by moments of extreme violence. Not a bad film mind, just a slow burner that fizzles out with the kind of goes nowhere type ending that will drive most people nuts if they don't expect it. So yeah, keep that in mind if you give this a go.

Last edited by GPR79; 20-10-2018 at 12:20.
Thanked 3 times by:
eye__writ (20-10-2018), WeaselFierce (20-10-2018), werewolf (23-10-2018)
Old 20-10-2018, 21:35   #100
eye__writ
Trusted User

Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988)

The Chiodo Brothers give us a 1980s creature feature that’s high on concept and low on acting classes. The brothers come from a special FX background and were responsible for creating Large Marge in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, 3 years prior to this.

It’s practical effect heavy, some of which looks dreadful but in a great way, while some of them, like the mini clowns in the bathroom, look effectively creepy. There are some matte painting ass matte paintings in evidence whenever an ambitious interior needs to appear on screen, which gives things an FMV videogame look, crossed with Willy Wonka’s ******-up factory.

Low rent Meg Ryan and even lower rent Jerry Seinfeld see a comet landing and decide to investigate, but all they find is a circus tent packed full of wet-lipped aliens who look like clowns for some reason.
The tone is very much comedic, as people get wrapped up in cotton candy cocoons, but there’s also some effectively creepy moments, like the clown outside the restaurant trying to lure a young girl outside and the ventriloquist scene.

I’d never seen this before but it’s exactly what I want from this genre. Fun, silly, gooey and imaginative. Oh, but there’s no boobs in the (4 hour long) shower scene. So not perfect, but close.

Last edited by eye__writ; 20-10-2018 at 22:27.
eye__writ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times by:
GPR79 (21-10-2018), WeaselFierce (21-10-2018), werewolf (23-10-2018)