Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 10-04-2016, 17:45   #621
jpig
Trusted User

Wellbeck going was a mistake. The rest were probably ready to leave. Hernandez last game for United was a masterclass in awful.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 17:54   #622
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
Wellbeck going was a mistake. The rest were probably ready to leave. Hernandez last game for United was a masterclass in awful.

Agree. But clearly a mistake not to have bought a proper no 9 in the summer. How on earth are we in a situation where we bring on Young as a striker! He's been playing as a full back for 2 years. Its not as if we are ravaged with striker injuries, only Rooney is out, and we all know he's not been good enough for a long time.
Old 10-04-2016, 18:45   #623
aliman5000
Clown X

The Manchester Utd Thread 2015/2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
We got rid of our best striker. No one has come close since.

"Hernández was named Bundesliga Player of the Month for November; a month in which he scored in a 2–1 loss at home to 1. FC Köln and twice in 3–1 win at Eintracht Frankfurt.

On 12 December, Hernández scored his first hat-trick in Leverkusen's 5–0 win over Borussia Mönchengladbach, thus scoring 15 goals in his last 12 matches, and taking his tally to 17 goals in 20 matches.[90][91] He would again be named Bundesliga Player of the Month for December.

On 30 January 2016, in Bayer's second match after the winter break, Hernández scored twice in a 3–0 defeat of Hannover 96 to register his 20th and 21st goals of the season.[93] Two days later, he was named for the third time Bundesliga Player of the Month."

You ever heard of a guy called Cristiano? This week he picked up an award for being the first player to score more than 30 goals in six consecutive seasons.

We got rid of our best striker in Hernandez? You're a fool.

Last edited by aliman5000; 10-04-2016 at 19:01.
aliman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 19:10   #624
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliman5000 View Post
You ever heard of a guy called Cristiano? This week he picked up an award for being the first player to score more than 30 goals in six consecutive seasons.

We got rid of our best striker in Hernandez? You're a fool.
I'm also not convinced about the quality of the German league as a whole.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2016, 07:24   #625
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

We've been pretty good defensively this season so yesterday was a bleedin' calamity! We desperately need a couple of natural goalscorers of the 20+ a season variety...Martial is just about good enough to stay in the team but he's not that and Rashford is still very young (...but I hope he's not offloaded as he could be special). Rooney has had it as a striker and really should be put out to pasture now.

...should have taken Charlie Austin when he was on the market for buttons. Seems nailed on for Maureen now, oh well, anything's better than this I s'pose!?!
Old 11-04-2016, 07:50   #626
MICON
Trusted User

This team under any of the present top managers would be fighting for the top two places. I believe some of our present players can step up a tad. We do need some new top players. The goon we presently have, had no idea last season, so should never have made a second season. We have had three wasted seasons. No one in their right mind would have chosen either manager, there was always better options. I only hope we are third time lucky.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:04   #627
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,221 Times in 864 Posts
Who were the better options? I know in retrospect that LVG appears to be a bad choice and I personally don't rate him (I think at best he just about met minimal expectations at every club since Ajax in the 90's). However he was seen as a safe pair of hands after the DM experiment and has won stuff.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:05   #628
dunkle
Trusted User

Im for Rooney going - would reduce the wages for one and I hope the the Leicester success will prompt clubs to realise playing as a team is better than having big names and big egos fighting for media attention and advertising revenue - I once thought he would have potential to be a great box to box midfield workhorse, but now, well think he should go whilst we could get few quid

Not sure if José Mourinho is the man for long term future success, but as it stands id have Josie Lawrence
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:52   #629
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Isn't that half the problem? First it was anyone but David Moyes, then it was anyone but DM and LVG, then it'll be anyone but DM, LVG and JM.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:15   #630
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Isn't that half the problem? First it was anyone but David Moyes, then it was anyone but DM and LVG, then it'll be anyone but DM, LVG and JM.
Thats a very good point and one probably true of any big club - its a merry go round, just imagine if the internet, forums and social media had been around when Fergie started

I quite liked Moyes and at times felt like he did have the poison chalice - but then anyone would have done, shame he failed to achieve, maybe right man wrong time with hindsight ?

I just dont get LVG at all and I dont think anyone does, 616 last night was as always is, but nobody seems to understand his "tactics" - total football would be nice idea if we where equipped to play it. Young as Striker ? The commentator on Five Live even said that LVG seems to have realised it was not working and moved him onto the wing ! FFS my 2 year old would likely have worked that out

Its like he is playing Fifa Ultimate Team but has run out of change position cards and paying bugger all attention to the chemistry

Im over the moon for Leicester, not just for the team, the fans and all involved but for Football, I just hope people pay attention, its the team
Old 11-04-2016, 09:24   #631
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
...should have taken Charlie Austin when he was on the market for buttons.
Agreed

What next? The only positive from LVG's tenure is the emergence of the kids, something that would never have happened under Jose, and would probably result in them going back to the academy and then onto other clubs if he arrives.

I'd break the bank for Pochettino at this time, but I can't see Spurs letting him go.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:27   #632
MaxNutter

Quote:
if the forums had been around in the late 80s, Fergie would have been (even more) crucified, and Micon would have been calling for his head for selling Frank Stapleton or something.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:53   #633
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
Agreed

What next? The only positive from LVG's tenure is the emergence of the kids, something that would never have happened under Jose, and would probably result in them going back to the academy and then onto other clubs if he arrives.

I'd break the bank for Pochettino at this time, but I can't see Spurs letting him go.
I can't see him wanting to go, both DM and LVG were well regarded managers before they took the United job. Aside from some sort of ego thing that he can succeed where others have failed, why would he want it? Especially when there is a good chance he would also fail where others have failed.

I'd guess that the stumbling block might be the funds available to the manager, are United really prepared to splash the cash needed?

I'd guess they'd be more impressed with a manager who thinks the players need a good talking to, rather than a mass clearout.

I'd guess you're likely to get JM more on the basis that he is out of options for employment
Old 11-04-2016, 12:09   #634
dunkle
Trusted User

His vanity may be reason Jose wants the United job. He wants to be the greatest manager in English football. Problem is if he comes he ain't gonna be there long enough to do it. He will get bored / fed up as normal.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:12   #635
MaxNutter

Unless LVG can pull a miracle and get 4th then it'll be Mourinho, there's nobody else available.
They won't trust Giggs with the job, you can't even trust him at a family reunion.

They need to stipulate in Jose's contract that he has to give youth a chance; he can't just do a supermarket sweep like at Chelsea.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:46   #636
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Has LVG really given youth a chance? he was hardly giving homegrown youth a chance when he was paying £49m for that kid from Monaco.

I doubt JM would agree to that, not sure I'd agree to it myself. Do you want to win or do you want to give youth a chance? How long a chance do you give them?
Old 11-04-2016, 12:56   #637
MaxNutter

Quote:
Has LVG really given youth a chance? he was hardly giving homegrown youth a chance when he was paying £49m for that kid from Monaco.

I doubt JM would agree to that, not sure I'd agree to it myself. Do you want to win or do you want to give youth a chance? How long a chance do you give them?
I agree, to an extent LVG's hand has been forced through injury, but he could have gone out and spent money in January and for some reason chose not to.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but he was good with the youth players at Ajax and Barcelona.

It would appear that Jose has never even looked at any academy players; did anybody come through the ranks while he was at Chelsea?
Old 11-04-2016, 13:07   #638
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,528 Times in 494 Posts
Zouma?
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 13:18   #639
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Zouma?
Quote:
Kurt Happy Zouma (born 27 October 1994) is a French professional footballer who plays as a centre back for English club Chelsea.

He began his career at Saint-Étienne, making his professional debut aged 16. Zouma won the Coupe de la Ligue with the club in 2013, and joined Chelsea for £12 million in January 2014. Chelsea loaned him back to his first club for the remainder of the season, and in his first full campaign in England, Zouma helped Chelsea win the League Cup and the Premier League.
'Happy'?!?
Old 11-04-2016, 13:23   #640
Showdon1975
Banned

Another bad day at the office (3 goals in under 6mins eeeeeek) Not looking good for 4th spot now
Showdon1975 is offline   Reply With Quote