Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 20-03-2016, 23:12   #561
madstu
Trusted User

Decision already made. He's gone. Have to accept he's here until the end of the season, so hoping for a run in the league and three good cup wins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21-03-2016, 08:07   #562
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
Perfect scenario is LVG finishing 4th and then walking, all dignities remain intact and everybody can move on and start to forget the last three seasons.

4th + the FA Cup and he might start ordering new furniture for the office.
LVG could never walk off with his head held high, with the money he had to spend, & the players he had/has at his disposal, the position he left United for the last two years makes him the worst manager ever at United, & I remember Frank O'Farrell.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 08:09   #563
madstu
Trusted User

Without trying to go round in circles... Moyes was far worse. But let's just have different opinions on that one!

Old 21-03-2016, 09:43   #564
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,220 Times in 863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madstu View Post
Without trying to go round in circles... Moyes was far worse. But let's just have different opinions on that one!

Is Ron Atkinson still alive? Maybe bring him back
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 10:02   #565
the_edge30
Give me all your lootz

Quote:

Can't agree with you there, Moyes was not financially backed by the club in the same way LVG has and at least Moyes looked like he was trying, he was bad but I think LVG has done more harm this season and has been untouchable...

Old 21-03-2016, 10:29   #566
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_edge30 View Post
Can't agree with you there, Moyes was not financially backed by the club in the same way LVG has and at least Moyes looked like he was trying, he was bad but I think LVG has done more harm this season and has been untouchable...

Don't confuse Moyes having two awful transfer windows with him not being backed financially - there's no indication that the club ever said no to him, or didn't give him adequate resources to build his team. During the summer window, Moyes said that there was "no budget", meaning there had been no limit placed on what he could spend. Also since his sacking, Moyes has used just about anything he can think of to excuse his failure, but he's never claimed that the club didn't back him - by all accounts the mess of those windows were down to him, with Woodward's inexperienced also blamed by some sources.

You can mark LVG down for spending money and not achieving anything with it if you wish, but I personally give a lot more credit to someone actually trying to use his resources rather than someone appearing paralysed by fear causing inaction. Also I don't think the incoming players have been that bad - the worst have been Falcao (which was a risk worth taking that didn't work-out), and Di Maria, which was a failure by United given the player clearly never wanted to be here. The rest I think have been good additions, but the problem has been letting far, far too many players leave without replacing them, particularly in attack. LVG isn't getting enough out of them in my view, but I don't think it has been wasted money for the most part - a different manager should get more out of them than we've seen so far.

For me there is no doubt that LVG has been better than Moyes, but that's faint praise if ever was any
Old 21-03-2016, 10:31   #567
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:

Ok i'll bite.

I believe Moyes had the money, but he wanted to 'scout' targets we already had in the bag, so could have spent more. He spent £27m of Fellani and £37m on Mata.

The club bought Herrera, Shaw and Di Maria, which is near enough £120m which I am sure they would have bought if Moyes was in charge in any case. In LVGs first season, Blind and Rojo were his signings. At least he had the balls to get rid of Buttner, Machada, Bebe, Kagawa, Fletcher, Zaha and Anderson. All of which Moyes was too gutless to get rid of. Welbeck was obviously a mistake.

This year he got rid of Cleverly, Nani, RVP, Di Maria, Evans, Evans, Lindegaard, Rafael and Hernandez. I'd only argue Rafael was a mistake, but he couldn't stay fit. This year he signed Martial, Schneiderlin and Schweeinsteiger who have done well and are good additions. Depay and Darmian have disappointed but have potential.

Let's not forget, that fool Moyes took us from Champions to 7th, that's the most shocking performance from a manager i've ever seen, not just from Utd.

Im not a fan of LVG, but he stabilised the club in his first year, back in the CL, oversaw a massive clear out. Its been awful this year, but at least we can see positives - Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Blind, Smalling. There was no hope under Moyes, in 8 months he nearly destroyed the club.

Old 21-03-2016, 10:54   #568
MaxNutter

You can't really judge LVG too harshly on this season ; when was the last time we were able to put out our best eleven?

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk
Old 21-03-2016, 11:06   #569
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
You can't really judge LVG too harshly on this season ; when was the last time we were able to put out our best eleven?

But only Leicester and Spurs have really been able to avoid injuries.
Old 21-03-2016, 11:23   #570
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deron View Post
But only Leicester and Spurs have really been able to avoid injuries.
I agree, but there are injuries and there's injuries. We've been ravaged.

Old 21-03-2016, 11:54   #571
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
I agree, but there are injuries and there's injuries. We've been ravaged.

I am not sure 'ravaged' is the right word when many media outlets were reporting injuries to fringe players (and players no one outside the club had ever heard of) eg Donald Love as 'major injury blow's - if you believe the papers De Gea, not so long ago, was going to miss several games but in the end missed just 1 training session

As Deron says, only Leicester and Spurs have really avoided any injuries

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 21-03-2016 at 11:56.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 12:04   #572
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
I am not sure 'ravaged' is the right word when many media outlets were reporting injuries to fringe players (and players no one outside the club had ever heard of) eg Donald Love as 'major injury blow's - if you believe the papers De Gea, not so long ago, was going to miss several games but in the end missed just 1 training session

As Deron says, only Leicester and Spurs have really avoid any injuries

I don't believe anyone has ever said Donald Love was a major injury blow!! But we were seriously unlucky at RB when we had Darmian, Valencia, Young, Varella, Jones all injured at the same time. Add in Shaw, Rojo and Borthwick-Jackson on the left. Add in Love, and that's 9 full backs - so maybe ravaged is the right word in that situation. But that happens from time to time.

Maybe if I was a (steriotypical) fan of some clubs, we might claim that had Leicester and Spurs had injuries then Utd would be third and in with a shout of 2/3 in the langue...

No-one believes the papers do they?

Old 21-03-2016, 12:11   #573
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
I don't believe anyone has ever said Donald Love was a major injury blow!! But we were seriously unlucky at RB when we had Darmian, Valencia, Young, Varella, Jones all injured at the same time. Add in Shaw, Rojo and Borthwick-Jackson on the left. Add in Love, and that's 9 full backs - so maybe ravaged is the right word in that situation. But that happens from time to time.

Maybe if I was a (steriotypical) fan of some clubs, we might claim that had Leicester and Spurs had injuries then Utd would be third and in with a shout of 2/3 in the langue...

No-one believes the papers do they?

But the point is, for example, for how long were Darmian, Valencia, Young, Varella, Jones all missing at once ? Months ? Weeks ? One game ?

There was a pundit over the weekend claiming that Leicester only using 29 players so far was another obstacle they have had to overcome; IMHO using so few players over the fewer games they have played compared to everyone else is a distinct advantage.
Old 21-03-2016, 12:18   #574
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
But the point is, for example, for how long were Darmian, Valencia, Young, Varella, Jones all missing at once ? Months ? Weeks ? One game ?

There was a pundit over the weekend claiming that Leicester only using 29 players so far was another obstacle they have had to overcome; IMHO using so few players over the fewer games they have played compared to everyone else is a distinct advantage.

A number of them have been missing for months. Esp Shaw, Rojo, Valencia, Young, Jones.

Leicester are also fortunate not to be playing in Europe, I don't think they got very far in the domestic cups. I suspect that if they win the PL then they will have played fewer than any other previous winners - its Leicester, all things being equal they shouldn't be where they are, but thank god they are, and who cares if they get a bit of luck or have a bit of an advantage. What they've done is simply brilliant.

Old 21-03-2016, 12:23   #575
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
A number of them have been missing for months. Esp Shaw, Rojo, Valencia, Young, Jones.

Leicester are also fortunate not to be playing in Europe, I don't think they got very far in the domestic cups. I suspect that if they win the PL then they will have played fewer than any other previous winners - its Leicester, all things being equal they shouldn't be where they are, but thank god they are, and who cares if they get a bit of luck or have a bit of an advantage. What they've done is simply brilliant.

I agree re Leicester.

BTW they got as far as the 4th Round of the League Cup (knocked out by Hull) but got knocked out of the FA Cup, by Spurs, in the 3rd Round.
Old 21-03-2016, 12:38   #576
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
if you believe the papers De Gea, not so long ago, was going to miss several games but in the end missed just 1 training session

What rubbish! He missed two games, take the blinkers off.
Old 21-03-2016, 12:44   #577
Showdon1975
Banned

Quote:
Backs to the wall for far too long there for my liking, but great result!

Quote:
Good win - coped well with pressure and you could see the players were knackered. Really good effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
...and so we're back in the mix again!
Only to go out of it again

Quote:
Hilarious, City couldn't muster a performance against what is frankly a ******* awful Utd team.

To put it in perspective you were playing a ******* awful City team

Quote:

Laughing my arse off!
Nah!! Come the end of the season it will be the opposite.
Showdon1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 12:52   #578
MaxNutter

Pathetic.

Old 21-03-2016, 12:54   #579
madstu
Trusted User

And tiresome. When I was at school we weren't able to post on the internet whilst on lunch break in the yard.

Old 21-03-2016, 13:56   #580
Showdon1975
Banned

Quote:
Pathetic.

Indeed City were Pathetic and made Utd look good.

Quote:
And tiresome. When I was at school we weren't able to post on the internet whilst on lunch break in the yard.

I thought you were still at school when you posted that.

Last edited by Showdon1975; 21-03-2016 at 13:58.
Showdon1975 is offline   Reply With Quote