Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 17:25   #3401
jpig
Trusted User

We're pretty ordinary, but a bit of context is required too: the rest of the division isn't much better. City are running away with things because all the other teams are so abject against them. They're clearly the best team, but a typical League winning season can afford a couple of rubbish days away from home.

That doesn't excuse our bunch on the pitch. I just don't understand why, when we've got a beast of a front man, everything is played through the middle and frequently on the deck. We're still desperately missing a leader on the pitch, but we're not the only club with that problem. Where have all the no-nonsense, no ******** players gone?
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 17:36   #3402
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

Maybe we should have gone for John Terry (...I feel dirty just saying it), like jpig says,we just don't have a no-nonsense tough leader on the pitch! Today's display is just not acceptable for Manchester United
Old 11-02-2018, 17:59   #3403
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
"...a bunch of fat paychecks in United shirts" is pretty spot on. They couldn't give a crap as long as their money get paid. If I was DDG I'd demand to go to Real, can't see why on earth he'd want to stay in this mid-table crap-fest any longer...Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs should all finish above us so it'll be the Eurhopeless league next season at best. I think we've had our time guys, back to the 70's/80's era for us I'm afraid
Think your safe from Chelsea finishing above you, we seem to be doing our best to implode again!
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 19:15   #3404
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
Also, Newcastle should have had a penalty and Valencia probably should have been sent off.
Don't think anyone would disagree with that - two shocking decisions.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 20:37   #3405
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Don't think anyone would disagree with that - two shocking decisions.
And the 'man of the match' should have had a few yellows in the first half, but I guess you didn't see him chopping our players down.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 20:45   #3406
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
And the 'man of the match' should have had a few yellows in the first half, but I guess you didn't see him chopping our players down.
Only seen highlights and talking points TBH.

Spent most of the afternoon panicking that upgrading Kodi had killed my stream source for the LFC game
Old 11-02-2018, 20:52   #3407
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Only seen highlights and talking points TBH.

Spent most of the afternoon panicking that upgrading Kodi had killed my stream source for the LFC game

I thought they had more or less killed off Kodi streams. I did hear that some were back on but never found them myself.
Old 17-02-2018, 17:34   #3408
MICON
Trusted User

Anybody not injured, or in Madrid having a medical???
Old 17-02-2018, 17:35   #3409
MICON
Trusted User

0-1 Lacarku
Old 17-02-2018, 18:12   #3410
MICON
Trusted User

Anyone managing to stay awake for this borefest?
Old 17-02-2018, 18:26   #3411
MICON
Trusted User

What a ******* joke, What a ******* joke. I've been calling for video replays since 1970, & the first time I see it when Manchester United are playing we get ROBBED of a goal. That was a brilliant & perfectly good goal from Mata. Robbed.

Last edited by MICON; 17-02-2018 at 18:31.
Old 17-02-2018, 19:24   #3412
madstu
Trusted User

The Manchester Utd Thread

Itís appalling technology - similar tech has been used in Cricket, Rugby and Tennis for a decade or more.

Now they Ďmayí have got the actual decision right, but thatís by luck and if the tech is not good enough, or not working then the original decision should stand (whether right or wrong).

If the tech is not there to make a decision within 60 seconds (should really be 30 seconds) then itís not ready 2-3 mins is unacceptable and will ruin the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18-02-2018, 09:12   #3413
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstu View Post
Itís appalling technology - similar tech has been used in Cricket, Rugby and Tennis for a decade or more.

Now they Ďmayí have got the actual decision right, but thatís by luck and if the tech is not good enough, or not working then the original decision should stand (whether right or wrong).

If the tech is not there to make a decision within 60 seconds (should really be 30 seconds) then itís not ready 2-3 mins is unacceptable and will ruin the game.

How was just luck they got the decision right? The non-wonky lines screen, which is what they apparently used, showed he was offside.

I also don't understand why decisions should be made by it in less than 30 seconds when the type of decisions it is making can't easily be automated like tennis; in actual fact the football equivalent of tennis's VAR is goal line technology ( which is actually quicker than it is in tennis ). The time it was as taking during the LFC v WBA game was crazy but 2-3 minutes isn't necessarily bad if it means the right decision is made.

The main issue with the system is that the on pitch ref still has final say and the VAR ref is just another one of the current crop of incompetent refs.
Old 18-02-2018, 09:24   #3414
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
How was just luck they got the decision right? The non-wonky lines screen, which is what they apparently used, showed he was offside.

I also don't understand why decisions should be made by it in less than 30 seconds when the type of decisions it is making can't easily be automated like tennis; in actual fact the football equivalent of tennis's VAR is goal line technology ( which is actually quicker than it is in tennis ). The time it was as taking during the LFC v WBA game was crazy but 2-3 minutes isn't necessarily bad if it means the right decision is made.

The main issue with the system is that the on pitch ref still has final say and the VAR ref is just another one of the current crop of incompetent refs.

Of course is was luck - BT said because of the failure of the technology the video ref made the decision by eye, and didnít even use the lines. Did they use the non wonkey lines, who knows, thereís a lot of BS going around. At what point was it actually confirmed that Mataís knee was offside, an hour later?

VAR should be used when there is a clear and obvious mistake, which this was not. The ref didnít refer it to VAR, that decision was taken out of his hands, and then a decision was made on questionable evedence.

Taking 2/3 mins will kill the game, viewers at home donít get to see what the video ref sees - which we now know why, because itís worse that what Sky/ BT show. If your in the stadium, it would be even worse, you have no idea whatís going on or how long it will take.

Vast majority of people are all for VAR (or some other technology), but only if itís not a talking point and doesnít disrupt the game. At the moment it doesnít work.

Old 18-02-2018, 10:41   #3415
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

BT also said they had nothing to do with missing 5 minutes of injury time @ Anfield the other week. All the media are agenda driven. Notice how BT didn't go straight to the break, like they normally do, in order to talk about it.

Mata was offside and the non-wonky lines showed it. So VAR got the decision right.

For me - it is all about getting game changing decisions correct and VAR will help that no end.

And for clarity, the ref doesn't have to refer to VAR. The VAR ref can tell the on pitch ref he has made a mistake.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 18-02-2018 at 10:45.
Old 18-02-2018, 11:15   #3416
MICON
Trusted User

Mata was NOT off side, full stop.

This VAR is only a joke because it is in the hands of jokers. Clearly at the moment there will be very close calls that will only truly be sorted out by future 'automatic' software.

I, and I imagine, most people would be happy with the ref or linesmans decision on the spot with very close calls, whether good or bad, however I, & I imagine, most people, would want the VAR to make decisions when a person is clearly offside, or a good goal disallowed & so on. These decisions can be made in seconds. If any decision takes more than ten seconds (meaning it is a very close call), then the ref's original decision is final. Most of the decisions that annoy us all, are incidents that we all see correctly in real time, when a player is well offside & so on. The VAR judge can see the same in real time with multiple angles, & most incorrect calls can be corrected without referring to video in seconds.
Old 18-02-2018, 11:29   #3417
madstu
Trusted User

Adam Brunt would have an argument in an empty room. The fact that VAR being discussed in this way means it is not ready.

For clarity, can you tell me the offside was a clear and obvious mistake? If not then it shouldnít even be used!

Old 18-02-2018, 14:54   #3418
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

MICON, Mata was offside and the replays proved it. Who would ever have thought that VAR would be so widely criticized after it correctly ruled against United Up until now, there have been valid concerns about the time taken ( which will get better ) and occasional over use but nothing has been said IIRC about the decisions it came up with.

madstu, the 'clear and obvious mistake' is just pure ******** and a way of protecting the on pitch referee. ALL mistakes should be corrected. A missed 'close' offside is still wrong.

The fact that we still have a multi billion pound industry effectively dictated by the unaccountable decisions of 1 person is totally mind blowing.

Incorrect decisions DO NOT balance themselves out ( I assume the people who think they do are same ones MICON reckons are happy for the ref to continue making bad calls ) so should be eradicated and not allowed to continue on the basis of, the much used cliche, providing water cooler moments or things to talk about after the game.

Anyone expecting VAR to come back within 10 seconds on all the decisions it makes is living in some bizarre fantasy world. In the real one ... not even Hawk Eye in tennis, a fully automated system, comes back that fast.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 18-02-2018 at 15:04.
Old 18-02-2018, 15:37   #3419
MICON
Trusted User

Adam, It was onside, the pictures did not prove it was offside at all. What I do know is that if it was Liverpool that had the same decision, your thread would have gone ape ****, & you would have led the 'definately onside' charge.

Also don't put words into my mouth. The technology is not good enough for very tight decisions yet, & the apes that are looking at it have no clue, so until reliable software is available we have to keep the game moving & that means on tight decisions, the refs decision is final, whether we like it or not.
Old 18-02-2018, 18:48   #3420
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Also don't put words into my mouth.
Not putting words into anyone's mouth ...

Quote:
I, and I imagine, most people would be happy with the ref or linesmans decision on the spot with very close calls, whether good or bad