Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 03-11-2018, 19:49   #2661
saltysam
Trusted User

We were crap. We are supposedly trying to compete with City who ambled their way to an easy as you like win here. Front three terrible again.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 21:09   #2662
Ravioli

Arsenal are a lot better side than when they played City.
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 22:10   #2663
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam View Post
We were crap. We are supposedly trying to compete with City who ambled their way to an easy as you like win here. Front three terrible again.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
A tad harsh. We were by far the better side away at Arsenal and were robbed of 2 points by a linesman who was 10 yards behind play.

Not sure how you can say we're not competing with City when we are above them having hard a lot harder fixture list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravioli View Post
Arsenal are a lot better side than when they played City.
Exactly
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 22:27   #2664
saltysam
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
A tad harsh. We were by far the better side away at Arsenal
You honestly believe that?
Quote:
and were robbed of 2 points by a linesman who was 10 yards behind play.
How come you never comment when decisions go our way?

Quote:
Not sure how you can say we're not competing with City when we are above them having hard a lot harder fixture list.
What are you basing "far harder fixture list on"? They've played the current 1st, 4th & 5th away and have 7 points from 9. We've played the 3rd,4th & 5th away and have 5 from 9. The other fixtures, for both teams have been broadly similar, the difference being they've beaten these teams more convincingly than we have,hence their GD already being worth an extra point, even after 11 games.

Last edited by saltysam; 03-11-2018 at 22:28.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:24   #2665
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

If we'd taken our chances we'd have won 4 or 5 - 1.

A linesman who doesn't understand the offside rule is brilliant though, the title could be lost on that decision, I think it's going to be that close. Two points lost I fear.

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 14:13   #2666
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
If we'd taken our chances we'd have won 4 or 5 - 1.

A linesman who doesn't understand the offside rule is brilliant though, the title could be lost on that decision, I think it's going to be that close. Two points lost I fear.
I tend to agree. Those two VvD chances and Bobby's lob in the lead up to the 'offside' goal, on another day, go in and we are would have been out of sight. And yet going by most of the reports today, if you didn't know the result you would assume Arsenal won the game. I barely remember Alisson having a single save to make.

Linesmen not understanding the offside rule - which, let's face it, is the main thing they are there for (as 99.99% of throw in / corner decisions are blatantly obvious even thow they are getting more and more of those decisions wrong as well) - is just another indication of how bad the FA and PGMOL have become.

Quote:
You honestly believe that?
Err, yes - you only have to consider the number of chances created by each team to see that.

Quote:
How come you never comment when decisions go our way?
Cos they happen so infrequently You were using 1 marginal offside call, when we scored the 3rd goal in a 4-0 win, against - just off the top of my head - two blatantly incorrect offside calls which cancelled out the opening 'goal' on two occasions - Spurs and Arsenal away - costing us 2 points. As Roy said, at the end of the season those 2 points could be crucial.

Quote:
What are you basing "far harder fixture list on"? They've played the current 1st, 4th & 5th away and have 7 points from 9. We've played the 3rd,4th & 5th away and have 5 from 9. The other fixtures, for both teams have been broadly similar, the difference being they've beaten these teams more convincingly than we have,hence their GD already being worth an extra point, even after 11 games.
So - they have only played 3 of the other current top 5 teams whilst we have played all of the them. And the other games are not broadly similar at alll; other than the 3 games you mentioned City have yet to play anyone else in the current top half of the table and, after today, will have played 5 of the current bottom 6 at home and the other one away.

I am not overly bothered about GD ... when was the last time the league title was won on GD ?? IIRC 1989.

Not on here, specifically, and maybe I wear red-tinted spec too often but there seems to be a lot of negativity about how our season's going at the minute. Sure, we could be doing better and our strike force could, apparently, be doing better than currently scoring an average of two goals a game but; we are top of the league (for now), top of our CL group (with potentially just 4, from 9, points needed to guarantee qualification), taking GD into account we are 9 points better off then at the same time last year and, at worst, we will be 10 points closer to City than we were 12 months ago.

Everything is rosy ... we just need better linesmen

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 04-11-2018 at 14:54.
Old 04-11-2018, 14:19   #2667
saltysam
Trusted User

Not sure why you are always hung up on what the media say.judge with your own eyes, while we are far stronger defensively the midfield lacks creativity and the front three are way off the pace collectively. the pressing seems to have dropped right off as well.Still it's a results game and 3rd (likely in a few hours) two points off the top in November is something I'd have taken in August.
Old 04-11-2018, 15:53   #2668
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Still it's a results game and 3rd (likely in a few hours) two points off the top in November is something I'd have taken in August.
Agree with that.

Soton were never going to get anything out of today and Palace ?? well you never know
Old 04-11-2018, 16:57   #2669
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

LOL - maybe one day, the FA will forced to explain how Mane was offside yesterday but somehow Morata wasn't today Nevermind Wolves's incorrectly ruled out goal in their 2-3 defeat to Spurs.

Clearly, unlike City, Liverpool aren't bribing the right people
Old 04-11-2018, 16:59   #2670
saltysam
Trusted User

I don't think City need help from anyone tbh. Think they'll break their own 100 point record this season. If we get within 15 points it's a good result.as for Spurs shouldn't they have had a 95min penalty against us this season? Clearly Oliver must be a red then

Last edited by saltysam; 04-11-2018 at 17:02.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:57   #2671
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
As for Spurs shouldn't they have had a 95min penalty against us this season? Clearly Oliver must be a red then
No - or if it was it was extremely debatable and, anyway, it makes up for the two very soft penalties they were awarded at Anfield last season costing us two points.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:39   #2672
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
If it'd have been the other way round though?
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:19   #2673
saltysam
Trusted User

The Mane foul at Wembley was a stonewaller. It's swings and roundabouts, you get some,you don't get some .there's no conspiracy .
Old 05-11-2018, 12:19   #2674
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
The Mane foul at Wembley was a stonewaller. It's swings and roundabouts, you get some,you don't get some .there's no conspiracy .
Can't hear you through my tin foil hat

Had completely forgotten it was a CL week this week ( and a 6pm kick off as well no less ). I see Shaqiri has been left behind purely to avoid any political complications.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 05-11-2018 at 12:25.
Old 05-11-2018, 15:52   #2675
Ravioli

Quote:
I don't think City need help from anyone tbh. Think they'll break their own 100 point record this season. If we get within 15 points it's a good result.
I agree with this. We are up against one, if not the best side of the Premier League era.
We are creating the chances, but we need to be a bit more clinical in front of goal.
I tend not to go with possession and territory stats. It's about chances created and realistically it's about how many of those chances you actually put away. I felt we looked more likely to score than Arsenal
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:55   #2676
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
LOL - maybe one day, the FA will forced to explain how Mane was offside yesterday but somehow Morata wasn't today Nevermind Wolves's incorrectly ruled out goal in their 2-3 defeat to Spurs.

Clearly, unlike City, Liverpool aren't bribing the right people

Forced to explain?! I didn’t see Morata’s, but the Mane goal whilst it should have been allowed, was marginal - it’s human error. There you go, I’ve explained it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2018, 16:08   #2677
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstu View Post
Forced to explain?! I didn’t see Morata’s, but the Mane goal whilst it should have been allowed, was marginal - it’s human error. There you go, I’ve explained it for you.

All the more reason for VAR ... to eradicate these cases of human error. Though that assumes the VAR is not as incompetent as the ref on the pitch [ not very likely given the pool of 'talent' available ]

Oh, and it wasn't marginal ... it would have been blindingly obvious to a linesman who wasn't 10 yards behind play

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 05-11-2018 at 16:09.
Old 05-11-2018, 16:10   #2678
saltysam
Trusted User

I wouldn't rely on VAR, it awarded Chelsea's offside equaliser in the league cup.
Old 05-11-2018, 16:11   #2679
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
All the more reason for VAR ... to eradicate these cases of human error. Though that assumes the VAR is not as incompetent as the ref on the pitch [ not very likely given the pool of 'talent' available ]

Personally I’d accept the fact that refs will make mistakes rather than have VAR. But it looks like VAR is inevitable. You have a good point, and one that I think we will have to suffer for a few years - that VAR will continue to give bad decisions, but also slow down the game and disrupt it badly.

Old 05-11-2018, 16:12   #2680
saltysam
Trusted User

I never want to sit through a first half like that cup game against WBA in January.