Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Board Games Forum

Notices

Old 13-12-2014, 21:52   #81
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

We've just played The Settlers of Catan tonight for the first time in *ages*. I bought the pre-2007 adapter kit the other day that adds a border to the board for the older editions to save the pieces splitting and getting knocked easily which prompted us to revisit the game.

It may have just been the random nature of the board and where we started, but we all found it much more adversarial and condensed than any of us can remember. There were four of us and it was a little frustrating and we're considering using a six player map next time.

I used to absolutely love Catan and still have a fondness for it but it does seem to have aged somewhat for me. It'll always have a place in my collection though. It is wasn't for this and Ticket To Ride I probably wouldn't be aware of any of the fantastic games I have in my collection now.
Old 14-12-2014, 13:03   #82
Questor
Pharmatron

I think I'm the dissenting voice on KoNY - to me it just didn't feel as fun as KoT- perhaps it was the group I played with at PAX, but I'd really have to be in the mood for KoNY whereas I'll play KoT anytime.

Also, Catan 4 player is VERY adversarial, it can get pretty damn cutthroat at times!
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 21:58   #83
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Can someone explain the deal with Ticket To Ride for me? I played a mobile version a while back and it really didn't seem to have much strategy, just luck of the draw... Was I missing something?!

[Sent from my Lumia 830 - please excuse any typos!]
Old 14-12-2014, 23:24   #84
queeg500
Chump

The general what you've been playing discussion thread

I've similarly only ever played the mobile version, and it hasn't really gripped me.

My wife and I have been playing Love Letter and enjoying that, but I'm looking forward to trying it with three or four players as I imagine it's better with more than two.
queeg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 00:51   #85
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderag View Post
Can someone explain the deal with Ticket To Ride for me? I played a mobile version a while back and it really didn't seem to have much strategy, just luck of the draw... Was I missing something?!

[Sent from my Lumia 830 - please excuse any typos!]
The strategy is someone hidden when you're playing against a computer. When it's actual people you're playing against it's a lot easier to identify strategies. You look for what parts of the board people are eyeing up, you spend a little more time identifying what routes people are playing for, and if it helps you there's chances to rob their routes by detouring a little from your own.

It's heavily luck influenced but there are tactics that come into play.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 15:18   #86
Lucid
Trusted User

Just bought and played Talisman for the first time in about 25 years. I remember having loads of fun with it back then and just stumbled across it on Amazon one day and decided to buy it. Managed to rope a couple friends in to play and it was just as fun as I remember.

Wondering now about buying some of the expansion boards. Anyone played it recently and could recommend which ones are the better ones as there seem to be a few out there
Lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 17:48   #87
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGearAl View Post
Also played Alhambra - it was the big box version but we skipped the expansions. Quite enjoyed this too, and despite looking intimidating at first it's actually quite simple to play. I lost dreadfully though, especially when one fatal move towards at the end basically took me out of the running. Don't think I'll buy, but would play again.
I've just played this for the first time. My Kickstarter copy of Escape: Zombie City went missing and when I eventually got a response from them, Queen Games sent me Alhambra to make up for the inconvenience.

Anyway, I feel pretty much the same as you. It is a lot easier to play than I expected, and it is nice enough, but just hasn't got that hook for me so I'm also happy to play but glad I didn't pay for it.
Old 18-01-2015, 19:00   #88
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

I've had some great games of Pandemic, Ticket To Ride, Takenoko, King of New York, Dominion, Risk 2210AD, Mr Jack Pocket and Khet this week!
Old 18-01-2015, 20:16   #89
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

This weekend has been about Red7, Sushi Go! and Dominion here. My wife hates Red7 though unfortunately.
Old 18-01-2015, 22:08   #90
richie-t
Dick Stallion

I had a mini gaming night with two friends on Friday. Neither of them had played much in the way of board games before, except monopoly of course! We played two games of carcassonne and ticket to ride Europe. Certainly enjoyed it and looking forward to playing again with all those trains again. I didn't make 3 of my short routes and thus, got pounded at the end.

Played my first ever game of splendor today too. Just a 2 player effort, but liked the thought process that goes in to it. Looking forward to playing more!

One thing I need to learn is how to shuffle cards...

Last edited by richie-t; 18-01-2015 at 22:11.
richie-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 17:15   #91
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

I love Splendor and how it starts off slowly and then there is suddenly that tipping point when your engine starts working and you start getting more and more cards for free and it snowballs and usually ends in a frantic race to hit those 15+ points.
Old 30-01-2015, 19:35   #92
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

We played ticket to ride, tetsuo (or something like that), and forbidden island the other day. Still not won Forbidden Island, but do like it. TTR is great fun tho - better than Monopoly maybe even!! Also played Love Letter and Pairs, both excellent with 4
Old 30-01-2015, 20:31   #93
queeg500
Chump

Agreed! And it was Tsuro of the Seas we played.

And TTR is definitely better than Monopoly
queeg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 21:45   #94
nutter45
burninator

We played some 4 player Las Vegas last night followed by some drunken Dixit. Las Vegas is a great little game.
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:10   #95
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

Last night I played a few games with friends that had never played them. There were six of us so I tried to pick games to accommodate for everyone. Ca$h and Gun$ went down well, that was a lot of fun. Skull (as in Skulls and Roses) also went down well although some struggled with the bidding/calling mechanic. Then we played King Of New York. The group was divided, some just didn't understand it, one immediately lost interest and gave up, and two really liked it. We ended up abandoning it because the host's attention seeking kid kept grabbing at the pieces and distracting everyone.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:36   #96
Questor
Pharmatron

Couple of games of Tiny Epic Kingdoms today - for such a small game it's kinda deep!
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 20:16   #97
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

At last! The Resistance and Coup have finally clicked with my wife. Everyone else loved them already but my wife isn't great at lying or picking on people but she threw herself into it earlier and wickedly deceived people when being a spy in The Resistance, and got over not liking launching coups or assassinating people in Coup after I pointed out the speed of the game means player elimination doesn't really matter.

Next up Sheriff of Nottingham when it hopefully arrives this week, by which time her halo will have fully slipped.
Old 09-02-2015, 00:19   #98
statto
Jedi Master

Had a boardgaming afternoon this weekend; a few old faithful games to get some new people into the hobby. Worked pretty well . Carcassonne, Lords of Waterdeep, Forbidden Desert and Ticket to Ride.

Four players, three of whom managed a solo win, with the entire team beating Forbidden Desert.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 13:56   #99
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

Finally got around to playing Letters From Whitechapel last night. I played as Jack and my other half played as the police.

I enjoyed it, but she found the whole thing incredibly difficult and stressful. For her, it never felt like she was making much progress and was just chasing a ghost. Though you can play it with 2 people, there's probably some benefit to having a few people on the police team so that they can talk through their strategy together. She wasn't aware how close she came to catching me several times! I've suggested we give it another go but on the other teams - I strongly suspect she's going to find that worse

Am tempted to pick up Scotland Yard to go along side it. Though the games are very similar, they're different enough and SY is quicker to play. Plus it's cheap.
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 16:19   #100
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

The iOS version of Scotland Yard has been given a badly needed update and the rules are explained (and taught) beautifully. Might be worth trying that first if you have an iPad

Last edited by Joober; 09-02-2015 at 16:24.
Joober is offline   Reply With Quote